NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

The Music Thread

standard-issue
    standard-issue

The Music Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: The Music Thread

Post by standard-issue Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:04 pm

Teeth Eater wrote:
    standard-issue wrote:

Yeah, haha, started listening to BFMV and BMTH back in the late Noughties.  

Can't get into The Amity Affliction, even though they are from Gympie Very Happy .  Funnily enough, my most Bogan mate, Col, is into them, and he only normally listens to Thrash usually, Slayer/Megadeth etc.  He also owns a heap of rifles, a couple of quad bikes, and a Ned Kelly T Shirt; which makes me feel close minded about my choices...

Asking Alexandria is the exact type of band I'm talking about; I probably would have always loved them, but never gave them a chance.  Never heard of Memphis May Fire, which is very encouraging!

Norma Jean is another post hardcore band that I've found lately.  One of those YouTube recommendations that kept popping up for years when I am listening to other stuff, but only gave them a crack last year.  Their album Meridional got me in, but Polar Similar is the Critic's choice and Wrongdoers seems to be the fans favourite.

My peoples. How'd I miss this thread?

I'm actually a mad 80's metal fan, but also mad for good post-hardcore bands and dare I say "pop-punk," even though I despise the term.

Did you guys used to go to the Taste of Chaos, and then Soundwave tours? They were heavenly for this type of music. Saw so many bands over those years in just these big singular occasions. Good times.

Anyway, I agree with you, SI, regarding Amity Affiction. I listen to all their albums, but can't really get into them. They're okay, but not my fave. That said, I saw them at, I think it was the last Warped Tour... one at Barangaroo, for all you Sydney-siders? Not sure if anyone went. I'd actually not heard them before at the time, but they were pretty awesome live. Really dug that. Not quite as "safe" live as they are on disc.

I'm absolutely mad for Asking Alexandria. Can put no foot wrong these days, imo. As a big 80's metal fan, the ballad on the EP they released this year, 'Miles away,' is one of my favourite cuts of the year. Ripper tune, especially for soft cocks like me. Be sure to check out original singer Danny Worsnop's band, We Are Harlot, if you like Asking Alexandria. Still only released one album, but there's some monster gear on that album.

Speaking of Memphis May Fire, you guys heard their new album? One of my favourites of the year so far. So good from start to end. Probably a bit more "commercial" for diehard fans, but I love it. If you dig it, check out a band called Destrophy and particularly their album, 'Cry Havoc.' Very melodic, but plenty of balls too.

Not a big fan of Norma Jean myself, but a band I'd be interested in revisiting.

I enjoy Bring Me The Horizon and BFMV too - much prefer early BFMV, though. Last album was really disappointing.

You guys also dig We Came As Romans? So many cool bands, but hard to think off the top of my head.

As far as this year goes, my favourite releases of the year so far, in the post-hardcore and similar genre, would be-

Wolves At The Gate - Eulogies
    Dead Romantic - Voices
    Beartooth - Below (Deluxe)
    Manafest - I Run With Wolves
    The Fallen State - Between Hope & Disillusion
    Telltale - Lie Your Way Out
    Stone Broken - REVELATION
    VRSTY - Welcome Home
    Inlights - Cliffhanger
    Lightwave - Dark Cycles
    Bad Omens - THE DEATH OF PEACE OF MIND
    LANDMVRKS - Lost in the Waves

Absolute favourite album in recent years, but probably not up all y'all's alley, but very well worth checking out -

The Broken View - 'On The Mend.'

We've been debating whether to migrate this and the TV thread over to the Fantasy section. Just haven't worked out how to slot them in but everyone misses it over here.

Yeah, got to quite a few Soundwaves, but missed a few as well with work and trips. The excitement (or disappointment with clashes) when the timetables came out and sitting down trying to plan your day around 20 bands you are into playing in a 12 hour time frame! Can't believe how the whole concept was destroyed when you get those sorts of numbers through the gate Crying or Very sad
    Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

Post by Teeth Eater Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:24 pm

standard-issue wrote:

We've been debating whether to migrate this and the TV thread over to the Fantasy section.  Just haven't worked out how to slot them in but everyone misses it over here.

Yeah, got to quite a few Soundwaves, but missed a few as well with work and trips.  The excitement (or disappointment with clashes) when the timetables came out and sitting down trying to plan your day around 20 bands you are into playing in a 12 hour time frame!  Can't believe how the whole concept was destroyed when you get those sorts of numbers through the gate Crying or Very sad  

Yeah, as far as I recall, they always sold out if you didn't get in early enough. And rightly so... tickets were solid prices, but also incredible value for money.

Haha, yep, I've still got some of my printed out spreadsheet timetables in the shed somewhere, of the bands I was going to see at what time on what stage. Haha, good times. Used to love the random bands like Taking Dawn, which stands out to me, that you would never see in 10 lifetimes, here in Australia, if not for an event like this. Yeah, I miss it for sure.

Biggest issue I remember in later years was that my son was born on 21st of February and I remember it started clashing with that (though he was born possibly around the last couple of years anyway)... also reminds me how boiling hot some of those days out were. Sweltering stuff, but all awesome memories.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:54 am

Teeth Eater wrote:
    Did you guys used to go to the Taste of Chaos, and then Soundwave tours? They were heavenly for this type of music. Saw so many bands over those years in just these big singular occasions. Good times.

my intro to festivals was big day out/livid, but was pretty heavily into the punk/hardcore/metal music scene through-out this era as well. i ran a music website/forum that was pretty popular for that era.

Last edited by my tv broke on Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:57 am

Teeth Eater wrote:
    Anyway, I agree with you, SI, regarding Amity Affiction. I listen to all their albums, but can't really get into them. They're okay, but not my fave. That said, I saw them at, I think it was the last Warped Tour... one at Barangaroo, for all you Sydney-siders? Not sure if anyone went. I'd actually not heard them before at the time, but they were pretty awesome live. Really dug that. Not quite as "safe" live as they are on disc.

think thats how most seem to feel about Amity especially if you're a little bit older/wiser. they're a bit tedious beyond the early stuff but i guess its catering to an audience. i know a couple of the guys from the band, good fellas.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:00 am

Teeth Eater wrote:Not a big fan of Norma Jean myself, but a band I'd be interested in revisiting.

I enjoy Bring Me The Horizon and BFMV too - much prefer early BFMV, though. Last album was really disappointing.

You guys also dig We Came As Romans? So many cool bands, but hard to think off the top of my head.

As far as this year goes, my favourite releases of the year so far, in the post-hardcore and similar genre, would be-

Wolves At The Gate - Eulogies
    Dead Romantic - Voices
    Beartooth - Below (Deluxe)
    Manafest - I Run With Wolves
    The Fallen State - Between Hope & Disillusion
    Telltale - Lie Your Way Out
    Stone Broken - REVELATION
    VRSTY - Welcome Home
    Inlights - Cliffhanger
    Lightwave - Dark Cycles
    Bad Omens - THE DEATH OF PEACE OF MIND
    LANDMVRKS - Lost in the Waves

Absolute favourite album in recent years, but probably not up all y'all's alley, but very well worth checking out -

The Broken View - 'On The Mend.'

might make my way through this list over the new few days at work. in a bit of a lull for music at the moment so this should be good. barely heard of any of them, but i was smashing that Landmvrks album a while back.

Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

Post by Teeth Eater Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:57 pm

my tv broke wrote:

might make my way through this list over the new few days at work. in a bit of a lull for music at the moment so this should be good. barely heard of any of them, but i was smashing that Landmvrks album a while back.

Happy listening. I'm a bit of a music nerd, so if you dig some of this gear and are after some cool recommendations from not this year, in similar styles, I can consult my archives for a few other recommendations.

Not world beating, but listened to While She Sleeps - 'Sleeps Society' today and thought that was pretty cool too.

Out of curiosity, would I know the website you ran? I probably wouldn't as I never really found a forum to hang out on for this kind of music, but I'd be curious anyway what it was?
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:03 am

Teeth Eater wrote:Out of curiosity, would I know the website you ran? I probably wouldn't as I never really found a forum to hang out on for this kind of music, but I'd be curious anyway what it was?

www.noisetheory.org - existed for 5 or so years in the early 2000's.

had to use wayback to find some screenshots which has brought back some memories.

screenshots:
    Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

Post by Teeth Eater Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:18 am

my tv broke wrote:

www.noisetheory.org - existed for 5 or so years in the early 2000's.

had to use wayback to find some screenshots which has brought back some memories.

screenshots:

Looks wild. Nice. Out of curiosity, what led to it's demise? Just too much work to upkeep?
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:45 am

Teeth Eater wrote:

Looks wild. Nice. Out of curiosity, what led to it's demise? Just too much work to upkeep?

I was too busy being early/mid 20's partying/girls/etc and just didn't care enough. Definitely regret not making more effort to grow it further. Fun fact one of my mates who helped with reviews/interviews ended up a host on triple J, another is music editor? for Double J
    precursor
    precursor

Post by precursor Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:20 pm

Anyone checked out hardcore band Vein? They kind of sound like Converge/Norma Jean meets Deftones. One of the most promising heavy bands of the modern era IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rURCGQTZHuw
    Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

Post by Teeth Eater Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:38 pm

precursor wrote:Anyone checked out hardcore band Vein? They kind of sound like Converge/Norma Jean meets Deftones. One of the most promising heavy bands of the modern era IMO.

That is certainly in one's face. Wink I've not heard of them before.

One of my recent favourite bands, and one of the last bands I saw before all the lockdowns, Secrets, just released their new album too. Sounds pretty good. Loved their last album, the s/t one from 2018 - one of my favourite from that year.

'Fragile Future' from 2013 was a pretty popular album and one some may know?

Another of my recent favourite artists, Eric Dalton, just dropped an album too. He's actually a producer with what appears to be absolutely no following whatsoever, but I love his tunes. Not post-hardcore, but heavy, really well produced music and this immense tune off the new album would please post-hardcore fans-

standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:37 pm

precursor wrote:Anyone checked out hardcore band Vein? They kind of sound like Converge/Norma Jean meets Deftones. One of the most promising heavy bands of the modern era IMO.

Wowsers! That has inspired me to check them out.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:40 pm

Teeth Eater wrote:

One of my recent favourite bands, and one of the last bands I saw before all the lockdowns, Secrets, just released their new album too. Sounds pretty good. Loved their last album, the s/t one from 2018 - one of my favourite from that year.

'Fragile Future' from 2013 was a pretty popular album and one some may know?

Another of my recent favourite artists, Eric Dalton, just dropped an album too. He's actually a producer with what appears to be absolutely no following whatsoever, but I love his tunes. Not post-hardcore, but heavy, really well produced music and this immense tune off the new album would please post-hardcore fans-

The Eric Dalton song was something I could get in to. Google not playing the game at the moment, or is he really that unknown?
    Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

Post by Teeth Eater Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:09 pm

standard-issue wrote:

The Eric Dalton song was something I could get in to.  Google not playing the game at the moment, or is he really that unknown?

Yeah, Google won't help. Like I said above, pretty sure he has no following whatsoever. If you click on the youtube channel in the song above it'll take you to his Youtube channel where he's actually uploaded all his albums to it. You can buy them direct from his website too, which is linked in the youtube channel too.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:08 pm

OK so which one of you is this:

The Music Thread - Page 19 FVRpyoaVUAAqQqW?format=jpg&name=medium
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:18 pm

That drum beat at the start of Around The Fur though man
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:20 pm

filthridden wrote:OK so which one of you is this:

The Music Thread - Page 19 FVRpyoaVUAAqQqW?format=jpg&name=medium

Actually me when Turnstile put out their latest album except now liking Turnstile is a meme... So.. shh
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:16 pm

my tv broke wrote:That drum beat at the start of Around The Fur though man

So sharp, so clean!
    precursor
    precursor

Post by precursor Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:37 pm

Teeth Eater wrote:

Yeah super abrasive. Can't say I know any of the bands you've posted but I'll check them out. I'm still stuck in the 90s when it comes to post-hardcore. Bands like Fugazi, Slint, Unwound.

standard-issue wrote:

The album that song's on, Errorzone, is well worth a listen if that song appeals to you.

Such a great album. And to think they probably bettered it with White Pony. Gotta be a top 10 all time album for mine.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 am

precursor wrote:
    Teeth Eater wrote:

Yeah super abrasive. Can't say I know any of the bands you've posted but I'll check them out. I'm still stuck in the 90s when it comes to post-hardcore. Bands like Fugazi, Slint, Unwound.

standard-issue wrote:

The album that song's on, Errorzone, is well worth a listen if that song appeals to you.

Such a great album. And to think they probably bettered it with White Pony. Gotta be a top 10 all time album for mine.

I checked out more of Vein tonight and I like it!

With Deftones, I flip flop between those 2 and Adrenaline. I heard Around The Fur first so when I bought Adrenaline I thought it was a little week when I first heard it. But I know better now and it just grooves so smoothly from start to finish.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:07 pm