NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

The Music Thread

ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

The Music Thread - Page 18 Empty Re: The Music Thread

Post by ryno_ Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:51 am

There's a massive group of teenagers online who are outraged / confused that Taylor Swift's now album (which doesnt suck but isnt great) isn't #1 on the chart because of Tool - who they have obviously never heard of. Its actually funny af to see.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:23 pm

Just having a look at the ratings for eech track on FI:

Fear Inoculum - 3.7
    Pneuma - 3.9
    Invincible - 3.8
    Descending - 4.0
    Culling Voices - 3.6
    Chocolate Chip Trip - 3.3
    7empest - 4.1

Having only listened to a few of the tracks so far I agree that CCT is average at best, FI is good without being great and 7empest is close to song of the year for me, and deserves to be the highest rated song on the album.

I haven't listened to Pneuma or Descending yet so will probably do that tonight now that I've seen the ratings here.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:09 pm

After listening to 7empest a few times now, yeah, that is the TOOLest thing in the history of TOOL. Brilliant.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:37 pm

Completely unrelated to music but is it just me or has SI white washed his avatar compared to Filth or is it just my monitor ? It's the same guy right ?  

Mein Kampf Welsh
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:01 pm

Tool Vs Korn

Tool - can see why it took 13 years mixing all those 10+ minute songs, over indulgent, not worth the wait, 1-2 tracks. Not an album I'd put on end to end.

Korn - odd thumper, a bit lighter but same sound, easy listening, will make a good car album. Shits all over the Tool release.

There I said it.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:24 pm

No Worries wrote:Tool Vs Korn

Tool - can see why it took 13 years mixing all those 10+ minute songs, over indulgent, not worth the wait, 1-2 tracks. Not an album I'd put on end to end.

Korn -  odd thumper, a bit lighter but same sound, easy listening, will make a good car album. Shits all over the Tool release.

There I said it.

Picked up the new Korn album this morning. I haven't bought the last few but The Nothing is pretty brutal Very Happy
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:25 pm

No Worries wrote:Completely unrelated to music but is it just me or has SI white washed his avatar compared to Filth or is it just my monitor ? It's the same guy right ?  

Mein Kampf Welsh

That's actually pretty weird, both taken from the same source.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:59 am

Anyone listen to Katatonia? Just started getting into them over the last month even though they are 10 albums in Embarassed . I can't stop listening to The Great Cold Distance Love
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:55 am

standard-issue wrote:Anyone listen to Katatonia?  Just started getting into them over the last month even though they are 10 albums in Embarassed .  I can't stop listening to The Great Cold Distance Love

I'm a casual fan. I own quite a few of their albums but they were never a band I was obsessed with. My fav by far is Night is the New Day, that record is unbelievable, nothing else they have done comes close to that for me. Great Cold Distance, is second best and gets somewhat close.

Speaking of Tool, I was blown away by Fear Inoculum. I'd say it's become my second favourite Tool album behind Aenima. I was surprised that after such a long time they could come up with this. Did not expect it at all.

Also Korn, The Nothing is very good too. It's not classic Korn, but it has more classic elements and their best album since probably The Untouchables, maybe even Issues. It's really really enjoyable.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:14 am

Hard n Heavy just played Grey Daze new album this morning, Amends. Awesome.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:08 am

An old fave, old school, but still 'hooky'

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=soundgarden&&view=detail&mid=45BF4E54E6EACBD3CE3345BF4E54E6EACBD3CE33&rvsmid=12C9D3F3BFA5269CEAD212C9D3F3BFA5269CEAD2&FORM=VDQVAP
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:22 pm

Revraiser wrote:An old fave, old school, but still 'hooky'

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=soundgarden&&view=detail&mid=45BF4E54E6EACBD3CE3345BF4E54E6EACBD3CE33&rvsmid=12C9D3F3BFA5269CEAD212C9D3F3BFA5269CEAD2&FORM=VDQVAP

Seeing Jesus Christ Pose on RAGE late one night is what got me into Soundgarden. But I think Room a Thousand Years Wide is my favourite off BadMotorFinger.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:32 am

standard-issue wrote:

Seeing Jesus Christ Pose on RAGE late one night is what got me into Soundgarden. But I think Room a Thousand Years Wide is my favourite off BadMotorFinger.

Me and a mate have a forever memory from late one night, 17yo old watching rage and Soundgardens clip for Blackhole sun came on, we were smashed and a few others were passed out, slewn across the couches, but me and Grant were soldiering on - that song/clip sticks so strong in our memories as though it was some sort of apocalyptic moment haha.
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:19 pm

Jesus Christ Pose shows what an incredible vocalist Chris was. Slaves and Bulldozers another one.

I had so many drunken nights watching Rage through the early hours of the morning. So good.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:37 pm

Have been getting into a heap of post hardcore/emo bands the last few months. Thursday/Alexisonfire/Trial Kennedy/A Day To Remember/Brand New/Boysetsfire/Thrice...

Feels like I discredited an entire Metal genre after hearing just a couple of poppy singles from the likes of Good Charlotte and AFI. Potentially also because the stereotypical fan of this lot back then was not necessarily reflective of the bands themselves.

Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:28 pm

standard-issue wrote:Have been getting into a heap of post hardcore/emo bands the last few months.  Thursday/Alexisonfire/Trial Kennedy/A Day To Remember/Brand New/Boysetsfire/Thrice...

Feels like I discredited an entire Metal genre after hearing just a couple of poppy singles from the likes of Good Charlotte and AFI.  Potentially also because the stereotypical fan of this lot back then was not necessarily reflective of the bands themselves.

Give the following a listen, in no order: Memphis May Fire, Bring me the horizon, Amity affliction, bullet for my valentine (who I'm sure you've listened to), Asking Alexandria

What we could do is start a NRLFF playlist on Spotify
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:03 am

Honeysett wrote:
    standard-issue wrote:Have been getting into a heap of post hardcore/emo bands the last few months.  Thursday/Alexisonfire/Trial Kennedy/A Day To Remember/Brand New/Boysetsfire/Thrice...

Feels like I discredited an entire Metal genre after hearing just a couple of poppy singles from the likes of Good Charlotte and AFI.  Potentially also because the stereotypical fan of this lot back then was not necessarily reflective of the bands themselves.

Give the following a listen, in no order: Memphis May Fire, Bring me the horizon, Amity affliction, bullet for my valentine (who I'm sure you've listened to), Asking Alexandria

What we could do is start a NRLFF playlist on Spotify

Yeah, haha, started listening to BFMV and BMTH back in the late Noughties.  

Can't get into The Amity Affliction, even though they are from Gympie Very Happy .  Funnily enough, my most Bogan mate, Col, is into them, and he only normally listens to Thrash usually, Slayer/Megadeth etc.  He also owns a heap of rifles, a couple of quad bikes, and a Ned Kelly T Shirt; which makes me feel close minded about my choices...

Asking Alexandria is the exact type of band I'm talking about; I probably would have always loved them, but never gave them a chance.  Never heard of Memphis May Fire, which is very encouraging!

Norma Jean is another post hardcore band that I've found lately.  One of those YouTube recommendations that kept popping up for years when I am listening to other stuff, but only gave them a crack last year.  Their album Meridional got me in, but Polar Similar is the Critic's choice and Wrongdoers seems to be the fans favourite.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:18 pm

Wow.. Norma Jean, there is a band id forgotten. Used to thrash their first album. Might have to chuck it on.

Listening to Turnstile a lot lately (the 2018 album and latest singles)
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:58 pm

I wish Izzy was still around, legendary

The Music Thread - Page 18 Giphy
    Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

Post by Teeth Eater Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:38 pm

standard-issue wrote:

Yeah, haha, started listening to BFMV and BMTH back in the late Noughties.  

Can't get into The Amity Affliction, even though they are from Gympie Very Happy .  Funnily enough, my most Bogan mate, Col, is into them, and he only normally listens to Thrash usually, Slayer/Megadeth etc.  He also owns a heap of rifles, a couple of quad bikes, and a Ned Kelly T Shirt; which makes me feel close minded about my choices...

Asking Alexandria is the exact type of band I'm talking about; I probably would have always loved them, but never gave them a chance.  Never heard of Memphis May Fire, which is very encouraging!

Norma Jean is another post hardcore band that I've found lately.  One of those YouTube recommendations that kept popping up for years when I am listening to other stuff, but only gave them a crack last year.  Their album Meridional got me in, but Polar Similar is the Critic's choice and Wrongdoers seems to be the fans favourite.

My peoples. How'd I miss this thread?

I'm actually a mad 80's metal fan, but also mad for good post-hardcore bands and dare I say "pop-punk," even though I despise the term.

Did you guys used to go to the Taste of Chaos, and then Soundwave tours? They were heavenly for this type of music. Saw so many bands over those years in just these big singular occasions. Good times.

Anyway, I agree with you, SI, regarding Amity Affiction. I listen to all their albums, but can't really get into them. They're okay, but not my fave. That said, I saw them at, I think it was the last Warped Tour... one at Barangaroo, for all you Sydney-siders? Not sure if anyone went. I'd actually not heard them before at the time, but they were pretty awesome live. Really dug that. Not quite as "safe" live as they are on disc.

I'm absolutely mad for Asking Alexandria. Can put no foot wrong these days, imo. As a big 80's metal fan, the ballad on the EP they released this year, 'Miles away,' is one of my favourite cuts of the year. Ripper tune, especially for soft cocks like me. Be sure to check out original singer Danny Worsnop's band, We Are Harlot, if you like Asking Alexandria. Still only released one album, but there's some monster gear on that album.

Speaking of Memphis May Fire, you guys heard their new album? One of my favourites of the year so far. So good from start to end. Probably a bit more "commercial" for diehard fans, but I love it. If you dig it, check out a band called Destrophy and particularly their album, 'Cry Havoc.' Very melodic, but plenty of balls too.

Not a big fan of Norma Jean myself, but a band I'd be interested in revisiting.

I enjoy Bring Me The Horizon and BFMV too - much prefer early BFMV, though. Last album was really disappointing.

You guys also dig We Came As Romans? So many cool bands, but hard to think off the top of my head.

As far as this year goes, my favourite releases of the year so far, in the post-hardcore and similar genre, would be-

Wolves At The Gate - Eulogies
    Dead Romantic - Voices
    Beartooth - Below (Deluxe)
    Manafest - I Run With Wolves
    The Fallen State - Between Hope & Disillusion
    Telltale - Lie Your Way Out
    Stone Broken - REVELATION
    VRSTY - Welcome Home
    Inlights - Cliffhanger
    Lightwave - Dark Cycles
    Bad Omens - THE DEATH OF PEACE OF MIND
    LANDMVRKS - Lost in the Waves

Absolute favourite album in recent years, but probably not up all y'all's alley, but very well worth checking out -

The Broken View - 'On The Mend.'

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:20 am