NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread - Page 10 Empty Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

Post by ryno_ Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:12 am

Welshy wrote:
    If LB doesn’t sort one by the morning I’ll get on up mate but be warned I will use snipping tool, Tedesco and some Frizell body parts...

Can we place bets on what body parts? I'd go neck but he doesnt have one... so calf + forearm + shaft.
    Ice

2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread - Page 10 Empty Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

Post by Ice Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:13 am

Shanbon wrote:@ice

That’s harsh on Cordner have a look half his carries were when he was the only forward willing to take a hit up coming out of our end, the others were still coming back onside. He generally got a good play the ball on the end of it too

Fair enough, I'd love to see him half his carries, do that grunt work, and let some of the more damaging ball runners have a few more carries.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:17 am

Ice wrote:
    Bhahaha, ahhh, he clearly bounced with momentum over the line and didn't advance it, plus Munster had dropped off and didn't even question it himself, but yeah, double movement.

lol no
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:18 am

Ice wrote:

Fair enough, I'd love to see him half his carries, do that grunt work, and let some of the more damaging ball runners have a few more carries.

Was just about to type that - a lot of his carries were the hard yards. He had a great captains game just tackling and tacking the fucking hard hitups.
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:23 am

ryno_ wrote:NSW deserved the win but its good signs when QLD had momentum for more time then NSW did and had the better of the territory. Its not good signs when we continually finish sets inside the NSW 10-20 and have no fucking idea how to the ball any further. I dont think we had a 5th tackle option that wasn't a 2nd rower crash ball or lazy grubber all game. We gameplanned really well, controlled position of the ball on the field, controlled the ruck for the most part but couldnt execute a scoring play, when NSW did nothing but execute on the reduced chances they had.

FAC (or another recognised hooker off the bench) needs to play 80, when he went off our middle defence went to shit. Hunt doesnt cut it. Milf was wasted.

Honestly, it probably shows that the over the last 5-6 years NSW coaching staff is made up of backline players and QLD predominately forwards (predominately). NSW didnt seem to worry that they were finishing sets inside their own half for most of the game, they were happy to back themselves to score form wherever. QLD were clearing geeing themselves up at how good it was finishing each set with NSW coming off their line, when we were starting at our 30 - but had no fucking clue what to do when we got down there.

Not that its an excuse - but the reffing was terrible. Worst in an origin game I can recall. Crichton's missed strip, the forward to JAC, the Turbo mid air knock on, the Gagai knock on to touch all game changing calls that were blatantly wrong, which gifted the Blues 12 points. I like that they put the whistle away for penalties but fuck me, that doesnt mean you let the players do their best Aaron Rodgers impression.

NSW still deserve the win though.

And we talk about loyalty and how important it's been, especially in recent years, but far out. Time to give him the tap on the shoulder. Ray Warren needs to be taken behind a shed and put down. He called Cook and Clearly interchangably through the game, swapped Napa and Hess at least twice, Munster and Morgan at least 3 times and even swapped Maloney & Blake Ferguson ("That's a real Raper style tackle"). Not to mention the entire commentary team decided that Mitchell had scored because he said so when he was pretty clearly held up. Fuck that entire booth is painful to listen to.

Ahwell. Enough good points to be confident heading into game 2. Put a healthy Slater into that backline and we'll generate points. Fuck knows what we'll do next year, but thats a problem for the side defending 4 in a row in 2019.

Comedy gold re the "game changing"calls.

Agree re Rabs.

All the commentary team agree he was held up when they saw the replay, not one blowing up that it wasn't a try, so no idea what your listening to there.

Still, a missed opportunity for a Qld time up against basically a team of rookies.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:25 am

ryno_ wrote:

Can we place bets on what body parts? I'd go neck but he doesnt have one... so calf + forearm + shaft.
    Brilliant Laugh 3
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:31 am

Ice wrote:

Comedy gold re the "game changing"calls.

Agree re Rabs.

All the commentary team agree he was held up when they saw the replay, not one blowing up that it wasn't a try, so no idea what your listening to there.

Still, a missed opportunity for a Qld time up against basically a team of rookies.

Call it "comedy gold" all you want, they were definite momentum swinging calls that were all demonstrably incorrect decisions. The forward pass in particular was a Qld Cup level shocker. And how the same bloke can decide that Gagai touched the ball when JAC smashed it dead but also decide that Munster didnt touch it when Turbo was juggling it on the way down is ridiculous.

Fatty and Sterlo (i think) called the Mitchell one on the first replay, Gus was still looking harder after 4 replays and Rabs was probably wondering how Jack Reed was making a tackle from retirement.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:33 am

ryno_ wrote:NSW deserved the win but its good signs when QLD had momentum for more time then NSW did and had the better of the territory. Its not good signs when we continually finish sets inside the NSW 10-20 and have no fucking idea how to the ball any further. I dont think we had a 5th tackle option that wasn't a 2nd rower crash ball or lazy grubber all game. We gameplanned really well, controlled position of the ball on the field, controlled the ruck for the most part but couldnt execute a scoring play, when NSW did nothing but execute on the reduced chances they had.

FAC (or another recognised hooker off the bench) needs to play 80, when he went off our middle defence went to shit. Hunt doesnt cut it. Milf was wasted.

Honestly, it probably shows that the over the last 5-6 years NSW coaching staff is made up of backline players and QLD predominately forwards (predominately). NSW didnt seem to worry that they were finishing sets inside their own half for most of the game, they were happy to back themselves to score form wherever. QLD were clearing geeing themselves up at how good it was finishing each set with NSW coming off their line, when we were starting at our 30 - but had no fucking clue what to do when we got down there.

Not that its an excuse - but the reffing was terrible. Worst in an origin game I can recall. Crichton's missed strip, the forward to JAC, the Turbo mid air knock on, the Gagai knock on to touch all game changing calls that were blatantly wrong, which gifted the Blues 12 points. I like that they put the whistle away for penalties but fuck me, that doesnt mean you let the players do their best Aaron Rodgers impression.

NSW still deserve the win though.

And we talk about loyalty and how important it's been, especially in recent years, but far out. Time to give him the tap on the shoulder. Ray Warren needs to be taken behind a shed and put down. He called Cook and Clearly interchangably through the game, swapped Napa and Hess at least twice, Munster and Morgan at least 3 times and even swapped Maloney & Blake Ferguson ("That's a real Raper style tackle"). Not to mention the entire commentary team decided that Mitchell had scored because he said so when he was pretty clearly held up. Fuck that entire booth is painful to listen to.

Ahwell. Enough good points to be confident heading into game 2. Put a healthy Slater into that backline and we'll generate points. Fuck knows what we'll do next year, but thats a problem for the side defending 4 in a row in 2019.

there were bad calls both ways. Some of those passes from dummy half from FAC to Mcguire in particular were disgustingly forward, especially early in the game. I said it the other night in the newcastle win, yep we got some good calls - you need them to win games more often than not. And its nice following the team that is getting them, instead of being on the other end of a shocker. Some of those calls QLD got throughout the last 10 years or so were just deadset crazy - its nice to get away with some of them last night.

I say it every year, I fucking hate the way its reffed. Its totally different to club footy and the rules go out the window, its false advertisement. They let this amazing brutal spectacle of a game flow, then in a club game blow 30 penalties. Club games are no where near as entertaining because the rules are enforced more.

QLD will have a great game in game 2. They bring slater back in, they show loyalty to someone and punt them, to bring someone back in whom they should never have dropped in the first place. Slater alone changes that game considerably.
    Geez they missed cam smith's kicking early in the tackle count. They missed cronks end of set kicks and thurston's magic. They really were blessed to have 4 of the greatest players ever to play at the same time, who played in crucial positions - and not having those guys really brings QLD back to even with NSW. The emergence of Cleary, cook, tedesco and mitchell etc will get NSW wins over the next 5 or so years - even tho they may never reach the heights the qld future immortals.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:36 am

ryno_ wrote:

Call it "comedy gold" all you want, they were definite momentum swinging calls that were all demonstrably incorrect decisions. The forward pass in particular was a Qld Cup level shocker. And how the same bloke can decide that Gagai touched the ball when JAC smashed it dead but also decide that Munster didnt touch it when Turbo was juggling it on the way down is ridiculous.

Fatty and Sterlo (i think) called the Mitchell one on the first replay, Gus was still looking harder after 4 replays and Rabs was probably wondering how Jack Reed was making a tackle from retirement.
    the maloney forward pass is something you see let go every weekend in club footy - Especially in bronco games haha. I thought it went backwards out of his hands though and travelled forward.
    They didnt show the Gagai/JAC one enough to get a decent look at it - I thought JAC hit it into Gagai's hand then it went out.
    The TTrbo one... wtc. Did munster even touch it? if he did, hadnt trbo knocked it back anyway??
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:43 am

Pieman wrote:
    the maloney forward pass is something you see let go every weekend in club footy - Especially in bronco games haha. I thought it went backwards out of his hands though and travelled forward.
    They didnt show the Gagai/JAC one enough to get a decent look at it - I thought JAC hit it into Gagai's hand then it went out.
    The TTrbo one... wtc. Did munster even touch it? if he did, hadnt trbo knocked it back anyway??

No way that ball went backwards out of his hands. Maloney had no forward momentum, he was running almost 90deg sideways. Unfortunately for the touchie, the ball crossed the 10m line so you dont even need the peanuts on twitter using Microsoft paint to draw lines on the ground to see how far forward it went.

TTurbo, was definitely knocked forward, he wasnt facing backwards and had a truckload of momentum from the leaping catch - which was a great effort. The Gagai one could have gone either way, but it has to go the same way as the Munster one if theres a shred of consistency.
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:43 am

ryno_ wrote:

You are talking about the Maloney to JAC pass right? Maybe you missed physics in class one day, fair enough.

Gagai did touch the ball before JAC, ergo knock on as he hadn't controlled it. Munster didn't touch the ball and didn't blow up about the decision and he'd have known better than anyone, and if he did we would have seen a shift in the direction of the ball in Turbos arms, which didn't occur. You're seeing what you want to see bro.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:45 am

the missed forward pass was a poor call

but gagai clearly touched that ball and thats all he has to do it for it to be a knock on and i don't think munster touched it before tommy had regained possession

the gagai call was a standard 50/50 that happens all the time, he still had every chance to hold the ball himself, if that 50/50 is swinging the game, then the mentality of this QLD team is much different to those in the past
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:32 am

Forward passes are always going to be 50/50 as long as they use the direction out of the hands as the way to judge it. I really don't know why forward isn't forward all the time.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:40 pm

I get momentum it's basic physics, the whole equal and opposite force senario. But that being said it would be a fairly easy equation of speed (players forward momentum) X distance (length of pass) = how far forward momentum will take the ball. So why can't Joey get out his magic marker, draw a quick triangle and work that out while the bunker is deciding if he wants wicked wings or a pinger.
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:20 pm

Moloney forward pass was terrible, as are several in club games that aren't picked up. It should be called forward though.

It would be pissed if my team had the Mitchell try disallowed, but the video ref was quick to clear the runner of taking out Hunt (the right call) but on air didn't make any comment on him taking out Arrow, which I thought was weird since Morgan, who was further infield than Arrow ended up having a pretty good shot on Mitchell, so you'd have to say Arrow was denied an opportunity as well.

I don't think Turbo knocked it on into Munster, but since Munster had a hand on his leg and he promoted the ball, I do think it was a double movement. I get why that is rarely called though.

Not sure why Mitchell was allowed to play the ball after he took his hands off the ball celebrating his no try. Players are given forever to try and get the ball down. If he chooses to let go of the ball prematurely incorrectly celebrating a try, QLD shouldn't be disadvantaged for that. Still there was about 2 minutes to go there, the game was over by then.

Crichton definitely had a raking motion when the ball came out, but my opinion is that it was actually pretty low force on the ball. It's probably called a strip more often than not in club games (but not always), but Gagai just has to be better and hold the ball there. You can't give the ref the chance to call knock on in that opportunity.

The ball that hit the ref in-goal was going so fast the ref couldn't avoid it so fair chance it goes dead, but by the same token, if anyone got to it before the dead ball line, it would have been Teddy, and those players on the run seem to get to the ball before the dead ball line more often than not, so maybe that was a lucky break and maybe it was unlucky. We'll never know. I'm not blowing up about that call at all.

All in all, had the calls been made as I thought were correct, we might have won, but that was no certainty either. NSW deserved their win, and by the same token I don't think too much needs to change for us except for Slater obviously coming in with Morgan back to the bench, and Gillett if fit for someone. On another day with both teams playing just as well as that we might win. The ball might bounce another way, or momentum might slide a player between tackles to score (Teddy made a fantastic tackle at one stage to save a try). I don't think there was too much between the teams. After game 2 the opposite might happen and we win by 12 and NSW fans are complaining about passes and penalties. We'll see.
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:21 pm

Please people watch the tape of the so called forward pass again. 90 degree sideways, bhahaha, you are kidding yourself RYNO, he was still in front of the ball and JAC when it was caught. If 12 o'clock is running straight, he was running to 10:30, maybe 11. How a guy can be IN FRONT of the ball he has passed when it is caught and people think it was a forward pass is beyond me.

dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:28 pm

It was a forward pass.

NSW deserved to win.

C'mon Ice, you can admit to one, whilst you embrace the other, right? Didn't your mum teach you to be a good winner? Smile
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:52 pm

that, my friends, is a forward pass.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/maloneys-forward-pass-to-addocarr-seals-origin-1/video/c851aa808eaa909fb8382bb51e7c9b0c

I reckon 7/10 times in club games they are let go.

Some of those forward passes from FAC to Squints were was worse than that.
    Forward pass or not, chambers should have stopped him.

As I said, you need some good calls (or non calls) in close games to win. It's good to see NSW finally getting some, as a NSW supporter. It was the wrong call, we got the benefit from it, fuck QLD. They have been getting them for years.

The Inglis v farah's boot comes to mine, and the hodges shepherd one. They hayne boot on the line. Absolute horse shit.

Some of those other ones tho, far out. They are 50/50 at best, or totally correct calls.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:58 pm

that Trbo, people calling for a double movement lol... watch it in real speed fellas. He bounces in, 100% momentum. Yes he promotes it slightly, but it made no difference what so ever. A part of the momentum.
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:00 pm

People also need to look at the Crichton "strip" again also. From behind Crighton, I agree it looks suss, but when you look at the front on view, Crighton has his right hand clutching Gagai's shirt near Gagai's heart (if he has one). It appears the other Blue player in the tackle is contacting Crighton's arm. Crighton rips his arm away from Gagai's shirt and his hand never gets near the ball, in fact you'd almost argue he didn't even touch the ball, but if he did, it was only with his upper forearm and I'm pretty sure people don't strip with their forearm. Chrighton is entitled to move his arm away from the attacker, if in the process, with no intention to strip, his arm grazes the ball, and the ball carrierers carry is so loose that he drops the ball, then so be it.

Clearly correct called made. People getting carried away with Crighton's arm action and not what actually occurred, cause if you watch the video, you simply can't argue Crighton raked it with his hand or even attempted to play at it.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:17 pm