NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

    2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Share
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2887
    Reputation : 299
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Pieman on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:03 pm

    @Ice wrote:Please people watch the tape of the so called forward pass again. 90 degree sideways, bhahaha,  you are kidding yourself RYNO, he was still in front of the ball and JAC when it was caught. If 12 o'clock is running straight, he was running to 10:30, maybe 11. How a guy can be IN FRONT of the ball he has passed when it is caught and people think it was a forward pass is beyond me.


    whilst the 90 degrees sideways comment is utterly ridiculous, it was clearly a forward pass. He ends up in front of it because he keeps running after he passes it lol.

    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 5063
    Reputation : 2069
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by No Worries on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:07 pm

    @Pieman wrote:

    whilst the 90 degrees sideways comment is utterly ridiculous, it was clearly a forward pass. He ends up in front of it because he keeps running after he passes it lol.


    Is that like putting up a bomb and chasing through to put all the players onside ?

    Balls onside, play on.

    Ice

    Posts : 1289
    Reputation : 103
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Ice on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:08 pm

    @dasherhalo wrote:It was a forward pass.

    NSW deserved to win.

    C'mon Ice, you can admit to one, whilst you embrace the other, right? Didn't your mum teach you to be a good winner? Smile

    I agree the ball was caught in front of where it was passed from, and I agree and would support a rule change for that to ALWAYS be called a forward pass and for the technology that would allow no doubt on those decisions to be made implemented.

    But the reality is that isn't the rule. Maloney is IN FRONT of the ball when it is caught! That's a cold hard fact. Now assuming Maloney can't run faster than he can pass a ball "forward", the ball MUST have been to some degree backwards out of the hand to allow him to stay in front of it, and currently the rule is, backwards out of the hand.

    Go Figure!
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2887
    Reputation : 299
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Pieman on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:27 pm

    he ends up past the ball because he passes it sideways 20m (and slightly forward), and keeps running directly forward. Its a forward pass, I dont know why people would dispute that its not. It clearly is, its is a textbook forward pass lol. But fuck QLD, ill take a Napa head clash sin bin against them as wrong as a call like that is.

    avatar
    Milchy
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 8339
    Reputation : 2989
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Milchy on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:30 pm


    If you had the technology to determine if a pass went forward relative to the ground, then any pass thrown by a player running at speed would be ruled forward.

    Maloney was well in front of the ball when it was caught, which is a good indication it went backwards relative to the thrower.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2887
    Reputation : 299
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Pieman on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:41 pm

    it doesnt even go backwards out of his hands!

    Ice

    Posts : 1289
    Reputation : 103
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Ice on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:36 pm

    @Pieman wrote:it doesnt even go backwards out of his hands!

    Yeah it does.
    avatar
    Welshy
    Moderator

    Posts : 13471
    Reputation : 2859
    Join date : 2015-09-16
    Age : 30
    Location : Wales

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Welshy on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 pm

    Let’s not argue over the semantics of the pass anyway, NSW were the better team and deserved the win, yes momentum swings but there are always calls like that in games that have aided both teams in the past
    avatar
    Milchy
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 8339
    Reputation : 2989
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Milchy on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:56 pm


    I'd really love this discussion on forward passes to go on for another 3 pages, so I will comment some more. The ball is clearly behind Maloney at every point, and its not like he accelerates after passing or anything.

    Of all the 50/50 decisions that you could pick as the one that caused NSW to win the game, its strange that you'd pick this one.

    Ice

    Posts : 1289
    Reputation : 103
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Ice on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:03 pm

    Milchcow wrote:
    I'd really love this discussion on forward passes to go on for another 3 pages, so I will comment some more. The ball is clearly behind Maloney at every point, and its not like he accelerates after passing or anything.

    Of all the 50/50 decisions that you could pick as the one that caused NSW to win the game, its strange that you'd pick this one.

    Yeah, nah, but what, that goes against the fact it was forward......

    So funny. Ball stays behind passer all the way buts it's a forward pass.  Sounds a bit like Bowraville...Thats in Qld.

    I'm with you Milchy.

    Now, let's get back to the Strip where the strippers hand didn't touch the stippees balls. Wait what?
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2887
    Reputation : 299
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Pieman on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:42 pm

    @Ice wrote:

    Yeah it does.

    well, no it doesnt. it goes forward from the instant it leaves his hands.
    He ends up in front of the ball because he keeps running after he passes it lol .... I dont understand how you think "he stays infront of the ball" is the argument for forward passes. If he passes it then stops still - it doesnt change the ball's trajectory at all, it doesnt change if he does a fucking cartwheel and sprints backwards on his hands. He passes is forward and it goes like 3m forward. Its an absolute standard forward pass - and they missed it.

    U could easily throw a 20m pass 4-5m forward and get in front of it before its caught. Just because Im infront of it doesnt mean it wasnt forward lol


    Dip

    Posts : 1439
    Reputation : 245
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Dip on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:39 pm

    The ball is clearly ahead of Moloney until it stops going forward due to the spin from the spiral pass, and the fact Moloney straightens his run.

    Dip

    Posts : 1439
    Reputation : 245
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Dip on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:43 pm



    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 5514
    Reputation : 1897
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Age : 31
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Honeysett on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:57 pm

    It's hard to feel bad for QLD when they've had all the 50/50 calls for years. Because it's such a tightly contested game these calls are always going to be focused on.

    Rather let's talk about Teddy who I believe played the best game I've seen from a Blue since Johns in 05
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2887
    Reputation : 299
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Pieman on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:07 pm

    exactly HS - its nice to get one of the good calls. finally.
    Ted was nearly untouchable, is clearly the next aus fullback. He and TTrbo were fucking outstanding.

    Ice

    Posts : 1289
    Reputation : 103
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Ice on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:15 pm

    Clearly backwards out of the hand and never in front of passer, those facts won't change regardless of how much people want to argue otherwise. To prove otherwise is simply impossible, sooooooo,let's move on.

    Teddy was huge, NSW have plenty of improvement in them and they'll need every bit of it as Qld where on top enough in that game that if they convert chances, they probably with, given how much more experience they have and will get back in game two upon Slaters return.
    avatar
    dasherhalo

    Posts : 572
    Reputation : 140
    Join date : 2015-10-23

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by dasherhalo on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:42 pm

    Teddy was just half a step too quick all night. But I think Cook was the impetus for you guys. I don't think you win without him.
    avatar
    Milchy
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 8339
    Reputation : 2989
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Milchy on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:49 pm

    @Pieman wrote:


    U could easily throw a 20m pass 4-5m forward and get in front of it before its caught. Just because Im infront of it doesnt mean it wasnt forward lol


    If, after throwing the pass, you maintain your existing pace, then yes, it does mean it wasn't forward.

    Ice

    Posts : 1289
    Reputation : 103
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by Ice on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:29 pm

    @dasherhalo wrote:Teddy was just half a step too quick all night. But I think Cook was the impetus for you guys. I don't think you win without him.

    Agree 100%. Said it earlier in this very thread. Cook the difference.
    avatar
    surmo13

    Posts : 1885
    Reputation : 355
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: 2018 State of Origin NSW Vs QLD - Game 1 match thread

    Post by surmo13 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:59 pm

    Good lord, the people arguing physics don’t know how physics work... it is entirely possible to throw something forward at pace and be front of it when it lands, yes an object leaving your hands at 25 Kph will begin it’s travel at 25 kph, but for some reason the asumption being made by the ‘physics’ crowd is that it will travel at 25kph infinately until it reaches it target, and for something as weightless and manipulatable as a football, that is just not possible, There are so many variables that affect the flight path and speed of a football in the air... if we were to take your argument as gospel, it should not be possible to put on a chip kick and regather on the full because the ball is travelling faster than the player when it leaves the boot, yet it’s been happening ever since rugby league was a thing

      Current date/time is Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:46 pm