NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

State of Origin Game 2

Honeysett
    Honeysett

State of Origin Game 2 - Page 16 Empty Re: State of Origin Game 2

Post by Honeysett Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:11 am

Ice wrote:Re our pack, I really liked Friz'z game but his running metres didn't reflect that and I think that Gallen and Bird are a big part of that with their selfishness. I would have liked to see some more carries from Friz, but I think his effort and commitment were great and he should be a mainstay now for a number of years, it was a heartening effort.

He's picked himself for years to come in that chase of Gagai alone.
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:13 am

Honeysett wrote:

It's the way he carries on like a child. Goes over the top with multiple posts. Type of reaction you'd expect from a 12 year old playing COD.

@ice
    Jennings cost us the game last night, the bad pass for Gagai's try when we were all over QLD. Straight after half time he rushing up and tackles no one for Gagai's second. Then the finger tip fuck up, I can understand going for that because you go for the try and don't know who's behind you buy the defensive errors were horrible.

I've acknowledged his two errors. We had ample opportunity after both and where still in the game long after those errors occurred. I think you're being a tad harsh, but I can understand the sentiment.

Jennings doesn't usually make those mistakes in defence, I wouldn't say that it is systematic of his game, I just think in this instance, he made a poor decision that cost us, a decision any player could make from one game to the next.
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:20 am

Honeysett wrote:

Sweet, he's been coming off the bench or he'll be back on the bench the point is the same. He's not a 80 minute NRL player at the moment let only at rep level. He's not the answer at this point in time.

I reckon that Farah is easily the best hooker in NSW, but he also plays best when he plays 65-70 minutes. For a dead rubber you can probably decrease this as well if it gives a debutant some exposure. I can see Peats adding something to the team (and certainly more than the likes of Dylan Walker off the bench) in a 15-20 minute stint, and providing a few minutes of backrow cover if needed like he did for Parra when De Gois came on. The problem with your prop rotations the last couple of games has been players not getting enough minutes, so I think you can afford to have Peats and Bird (if not starting - which I wouldn't) on the bench, and 2 props on the bench. For a dead rubber, this is the team I would probably love to pick (but they wont):

1. Teddy
    2. Mansour
    3. Dugan
    4. Jennings
    5. BMoz
    6. Moloney
    7. A Reynolds
    8. Woods
    9. Farah
    10. Fafita
    11. Frizell
    12. Jackson
    13. Graham
    14. J Bird
    15. Peats
    16. Klemmer
    17. Tamou

No chance Gallen isn't there, and to be honest I think he deserves to be there, but unfortunately for him he won't be there next year and you're 2-0 down in the series.

If Reynolds is injured I might consider Bird to the starting team and Carty to the bench (or Carty straight to 5/Cool, but I'd have to think about that more as I don't really like either of those options.

Like a few others I like to make fun of Jennings for "dropping the world cup", but the effort is there and he is still a good player despite a poor game. If it is a case of trying to fit all of Teddy, Dugan and Bird in the starting lineup, I reckon he'd do pretty well on the wing with the job role being the same as Gagai/Chambers/Tate - that is "my job is to catch all bombs, not miss tackles on my opposite winger, and run as hard as I can from dummy half and in the first 2 tackles- do all 3 of those and I've had a great game". Teddy and Dugan are wasted on the wings.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:21 am

Ice wrote:

I've acknowledged his two errors. We had ample opportunity after both and where still in the game long after those errors occurred. I think you're being a tad harsh, but I can understand the sentiment.

Jennings doesn't usually make those mistakes in defence, I wouldn't say that it is systematic of his game, I just think in this instance, he made a poor decision that cost us, a decision any player could make from one game to the next.

I could very well be, but we need to be harsh. We need to look at the players that have let us down year in and year out. For years we stuck up for Jennings because he was against Hodges, now he was against O'Neil and he still let us down. He's time is up.

1. Moylan.
    2. Mansour
    3. Dugan
    4. J Bird
    5. B Morris
    6. Maloney
    7. Reynolds
    8. Woods.
    9. Peats
    10. Klemmer
    11. Graham.
    12. Frizzell
    13. Jackson

14. Teddy
    15. Peachey
    16. Fifita
    17.?

Next year that's what I'd like to see.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:24 am

Daley will pick the same players, we'll get a win, and that will justify picking the same players next year
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:42 am

5 Things we learnt:

1. Jennings should cut his fingernails before the game
    2. O'Neil is slower than a sloth on smack swimming through treacle
    3. Fergo is a fuckin gumby (that needs to be made a meme)
    4. Inglis represents Sandgate
    5. The Friz is going to have a cupboard full of blue jerseys

5 Things left unanswered

1. Why Walker was picked ?
    2. Why doesn't Maloney use the hand glue the other guys use ?
    3. When will Cam Smith be called for a forward pass from dummy half (it's gone beyond a joke) ?
    4. Where was Matt Scott for the first 60 minutes ?
    5. Can Fergo tie his own shoes ?
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:57 am

Your Name wrote:5 Things we learnt:

5 Things left unanswered

3. When will Cam Smith be called for a forward pass from dummy half (it's gone beyond a joke) ?

I thought about this forum when in the post game show I think it was Andrew Johns said "I've never seen him throw a forward pass from dummy half". Not sure if he meant he's never seen him be called for throwing a forward pass from dummy half.

Fergo is a strange one. When he debuted a couple of years back he was so good. I think when he took his enforced sabatical, he has never come back as good as he was beforehand.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:57 am

Your Name wrote:5 Things we learnt:

5 Things left unanswered

1. Why Walker was picked? Because Fulton is a Sea Eagles tragic and QLDer in disguise.
    2. Why doesn't Maloney use the hand glue the other guys use? Because he's too busy BBQing
    3. When will Cam Smith be called for a forward pass from dummy half (it's gone beyond a joke)? Among other things that he will always get away with, like holding Moylan down when we had the break, could have also been a sin binning.
    4. Where was Matt Scott for the first 60 minutes? He's handing over the reins to McGuire.
    5. Can Fergo tie his own shoes? Probably too drunk off cruisers.
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:59 am

Boyd would have to be favourite for the Wally Lewis Medal you'd think. He's been superb.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:00 pm

Dip wrote:Boyd would have to be favourite for the Wally Lewis Medal you'd think. He's been superb.

Didn't see a whole lot of him last night. He was fantastic in Game 1. JT will be up there.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Your Name wrote:
    5 Things left unanswered

6. Why both having an offside rule when players defending their own line dont give a fuck about it?

Seriously, QLD were pushing it a little, especially the defender 1 man off the ball but there was one passage of play where the camera view broadcast was side on and you could see right across the field that NSW were, as a team, all offside. For 3 tackles in a row they kept the camera there and all 3 tackles, the players weren't in any danger of going near the tryline (and they kept this philosophy in attack).

Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:11 pm

Surprised more hasn't been said about Thaiday's squirrel grip and Woods dirty knee to the head in the finals minute (one of the worst things I've seen in a while)
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:14 pm

ryno_ wrote:

6. Why both having an offside rule when players defending their own line dont give a fuck about it?

Seriously, QLD were pushing it a little, especially the defender 1 man off the ball but there was one passage of play where the camera view broadcast was side on and you could see right across the field that NSW were, as a team, all offside. For 3 tackles in a row they kept the camera there and all 3 tackles, the players weren't in any danger of going near the tryline (and they kept this philosophy in attack).

QLD were pushing it a little? Cam Smith and Corey Parker couldn't get square at market if their life depended on it. The amount of times they did it was insane.

The fact is they know the refs won't call the penalty, which is fucked.

It's not an excuse because I thought we cost ourselves but the fact that QLD can have poor ball security and get three penalties from it and yet when it happens to us it's a knock on is quite remarkable.
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:15 pm

ryno_ wrote:

I agree. Moloney was clearly offside on the try he scored (well I haven't actually checked, i just assume he was because Moloney is one of the worst at this in the comp) so it should have been disallowed. Once again QLD getting reamed by the refs...
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:17 pm

Honeysett wrote:

QLD were pushing it a little? Cam Smith and Corey Parker couldn't get square at market if their life depended on it. The amount of times they did it was insane.

It's not an excuse because I thought we cost ourselves but the fact that QLD can have poor ball security and get three penalties from it and yet when it happens to us it's a knock on is quite remarkable.

Yeah that was rediculous, they were basically shoulder to shoulder at marker, particularly in the first half when NSW were getting a roll on. Should have been penalised more than once.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:29 pm

Honeysett wrote:

Talking about different things here but yeah, that was sloppy aswell. NSW were just as bad in patches though, Woods was camped shoulder-to-shoulder.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:34 pm

ryno_ wrote:

Talking about different things here but yeah, that was sloppy aswell. NSW were just as bad in patches though, Woods was camped shoulder-to-shoulder.

Oh no doubt we're not angels by any means.

Both sides push the boundaries with offside, aside from a few early mistakes from the refs and the Gagai one I would have liked to see a bit more time taken I thought the officials did quite a good job. A lot better than game 1, which if reffed the same way I think we win, but who knows could have gone the other way. QLD went down to NSW with a gameplan to slow down the ruck and grind out a win.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:41 pm

Firstly, let me start off by saying suck shit NSW and well done QLD on another memorable series.
    NSW look seriously dejected and I'll be lapping up the juicy odds for QLD to jag a win in Game 3.

Secondly, and on the back of some intriguing comments from Gould and a mixed performance from the Blues last night, I am surprised at some of the fans proposed selections for NSW in Game 3....and beyond.

Fat guts (aka Gallen) is undoubtedly a khunt of a human but he is still in your best 17 and does deserve a send off in Game 3 on playing merit alone.

Jennings had a deadset Barry Crocker but he's still one of your best 2 centres - call's for his head are unwarranted.

JBird benefited from coming on when he did. Still not convinced he's the gun that he's being made out to be...but good luck to the bloke.

My selection philosophy for rep teams has always been to pick your best 17 at the present time and not blood blokes for the sake of it or to plan for future series.
    All that does is chip away at the culture of the rep team and also brings into play the risks associated with a drubbing.

I said it at the time but I really felt Ricky Stuart was the type of Origin coach you needed and I could never see Daley being a success.
    His time is up and it shows.
    This is the biggest change NSW need to make.
    Put an ex-legend in charge that is going to work on the culture/mental side of the camp & performance.

For NSW I would be going:

1. Teddy - he's a gun, just pick the guy.
    2. Mansour
    3. Dugan - I would go Morris if Duges doens't come good.
    4. Jennings
    5. Fergo
    6. Maloney
    7. Pearce - he's much maligned but I maintain that if Pearce wasn't continually made the scapegoat for NSW's series losses, he has the all round game and game management experience to become that gun playmaker that NSW have been pining for
    8. Woods - played his best game last night IMO and the powderpuff may be coming good
    9. Farah - still your best hooker but a concern that there isn't a viable alternative (why hasn't Peats or whoever, been in camp as a development player????)
    10. Fat Guts - he is a prop, so play him like one
    11. Frizell - impressive
    12. Jackson
    13. Graham

14. Moylan/Peats - don't try and copy QLD, pick the best utility you have
    15. Fifita
    16. Klemmer
    17. Tamou

NSW have some really good young forwards coming through the ranks e.g. Ryan James, Carty, JTurbo etc.
    It would be tempting to blood these blokes for the final game but I genuinely think NSW's best bet is to start fresh in 2017 and if any/all of these blokes maintain form then they can force their way into the side.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:44 pm

Honeysett wrote:Surprised more hasn't been said about Thaiday's squirrel grip and Woods dirty knee to the head in the finals minute (one of the worst things I've seen in a while)

I didn't see the squirrel grip but assuming that was why Reynolds had his meltdown?
    If so, brilliant gamesmanship from Sammy.

Woods knee was dirty as and didn't it miss and hurt one of his own blokes?

The other incident was Greg Bird getting frustrated and blatantly stamping on Smith's hand.
    Got away with it but was typical grubbishness from Bird.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:50 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

I didn't see the squirrel grip but assuming that was why Reynolds had his meltdown?
    If so, brilliant gamesmanship from Sammy.

Woods knee was dirty as and didn't it miss and hurt one of his own blokes?

The other incident was Greg Bird getting frustrated and blatantly stamping on Smith's hand.
    Got away with it but was typical grubbishness from Bird.

That was his elbow on Farah

http://www.foxsports.com.au/video/league/state-of-origin/woods-elbow-kos-farah!530443

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 8:03 am