NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Hayne Quits NFL

Ice

Hayne Quits NFL  - Page 3 Empty Re: Hayne Quits NFL

Post by Ice Mon May 16, 2016 9:29 pm

code delta wrote:

Norman and Hayne without getting rid of more players??
    The warchest don't exist, the salary cap says so.
    Imagine the league saying "bad Eels, you overspent. But here, have a bunch of money so about the most expensive player in the NRL can play with you."

Fair point. Imagine a team having Hayne, Foran and Norman on the books Rolling Eyes

It would be almost like a team having say........hmmmmmmmm........

Smith, Slater and Cronk
    Or
    7 + Origin/Internationals lim the Bronocs
    Or

Oh wait, nah, would never happen.
    code delta
    code delta

Post by code delta Mon May 16, 2016 10:37 pm

Ice wrote:

Fair point. Imagine a team having Hayne, Foran and Norman on the books Rolling Eyes

It would be almost like a team having say........hmmmmmmmm........

Smith, Slater and Cronk
    Or
    7 + Origin/Internationals lim the Bronocs
    Or

Oh wait, nah, would never happen.

Fair points also.
    But the Eels are the ones that are sprung ATM and NRL handing Jayne back to them may not be good PR.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Mon May 16, 2016 11:02 pm

Ice, thanks for flying the flag of Hayne. (Said without sarcasm).

I can't speak to anyone else's motives when it comes to nay-saying, but I will say that, whilst forum-bagging the bloke (because he's an under-achieving NSW d***wad), I've always been keen to see him do well in the NFL. Aussie before state, etc, etc

Now, I don't know how much of this is "Jamie-Lyon-is-a-d***wad-too - what a typical NSW tool" sort of feeling I get whenever I think of any NSWelshman, but I feel that quitting pre-season, only one year into his "journey" is letting the fans that bought into the hype down a bit.

Announcing he has "a new dream" further lowers his flag a bit further, IMHO.

Now, I realise that Hayne wouldn't read my twitter feed, even if I had one, but I"m sure I wouldn't be alone in this world in treating this "bright new hope" as a false dawn, and I don't think he'll have quite as many passengers on the Hayne-Train this time around.

As for your claims of "wow" and the completeness of his resume should he achieve Olympic greatness, whilst not trying to start an argument, I'd politely suggest that, whilst extraordinarily diverse, he hasn't hit the heights he'd have been hoping for in any of those enterprises. If he wanted to achieve sporting immortality, he could perhaps set his sights on a peak less travelled? Perhaps guiding the Eels to a premiership, and not tacking on as an "also-ran" to the current #1 side in the world?

Of course, I'm a Queenslander, and who knows which head i'm thinking with at the moment. The cross-eyed-ness alone gives me headaches.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon May 16, 2016 11:45 pm

Can we rule out that he was running out of money?
    code delta
    code delta

Post by code delta Mon May 16, 2016 11:47 pm

dasherhalo wrote:..., but I feel that quitting pre-season, only one year into his "journey" is letting the fans that bought into the hype down a bit.

Tend to agree.
    The diversionary headlines are better than "New coach cuts Hayne. Doesn't think he'll make the grade."
    Surely there's another team to pick him up then. Question
    Reckon there's something else going on here.
    If that WADA stuff means he can't play for Fiji it also means he can't be playing NRL this year.
    Reckon there's something else going on here.
    Or did he just give up without considering his options?
    code delta
    code delta

Post by code delta Mon May 16, 2016 11:49 pm

Honeysett wrote:Can we rule out that he was running out of money?
    Has his mother moved recently?

Post by Guest Mon May 16, 2016 11:54 pm

I thought Hayne would have a few investments already not to mention his new clothing line should be doing okay. There is no way he would have any money problems whatsoever.
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue May 17, 2016 12:22 am

dasherhalo wrote:Ice, thanks for flying the flag of Hayne. (Said without sarcasm).

I can't speak to anyone else's motives when it comes to nay-saying, but I will say that, whilst forum-bagging the bloke (because he's an under-achieving NSW d***wad), I've always been keen to see him do well in the NFL. Aussie before state, etc, etc

Now, I don't know how much of this is "Jamie-Lyon-is-a-d***wad-too - what a typical NSW tool" sort of feeling I get whenever I think of any NSWelshman, but I feel that quitting pre-season, only one year into his "journey" is letting the fans that bought into the hype down a bit.

Now, I realise that Hayne wouldn't read my twitter feed, even if I had one, but I"m sure I wouldn't be alone in this world in treating this "bright new hope" as a false dawn, and I don't think he'll have quite as many passengers on the Hayne-Train this time around.

As for your claims of "wow" and the completeness of his resume should he achieve Olympic greatness, whilst not trying to start an argument, I'd politely suggest that, whilst extraordinarily diverse, he hasn't hit the heights he'd have been hoping for in any of those enterprises. If he wanted to achieve sporting immortality, he could perhaps set his sights on a peak less travelled? Perhaps guiding the Eels to a premiership, and not tacking on as an "also-ran" to the current #1 side in the world?

Of course, I'm a Queenslander, and who knows which head i'm thinking with at the moment. The cross-eyed-ness alone gives me headaches.

Fair enough all.

I'd say this, if anyone needed the NFL adventure to get on board the train, then if they depart as he sets his goals again, then he hasn't really lost too much. I'd understand people getting off the train, fair enough, I'd just say, do you (not you personally, people in general) feel better about yourselves in this guys failures or his success and if the answer is neither, why bother commenting.

Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Tue May 17, 2016 7:49 am

Ice wrote:

Hmmmm, now where have I seen a comment similar to this, about a guy never having played a sport, cracking a team inside 12 months against guys who have played it their whole life, now, let me just think Idea .....of course.......

Seriously laugh at people thinking the Fijian Rugby Association and their head coach would risk a Gold just so they could take Hayne. Seriously, give yourselves a dozen and have a bit of respect for them and their skills in this unique form of the game. These are deeply religious guys who have little care for fame glory and dollars, you seriously think they are gonna risk a Gold for Hayne.

I honestly doubt he will make the side. But if he does, it will be on merit for sure. I just can't beleive, after he proved everyone wrong with the NFL the tall poppy haters are soooo quick to have a per crack at him.  Seriously, our country is a nation of whingers and haters, it's pathetic.

First of all Ice, I believe you have me confused with some sort of "anti-Hayne" campaigner. That must have been going on well before I joined this forum, some kind of Queensland v NSW thing? I'm a Kiwi, no bias here at all I can assure you. Your posts in response to mine and others suggest there are many more emotions in this that I am bringing to the table. Later posts by others also suggest there is much more to this than I know about (and care about for that matter). So please, take my comments for what is written and nothing more, as I said previously I was a massive supporter of what Hayne was doing in the NFL, followed every minute of his career over there, and think what he achieved was out of this world.

That being said, whats the difference between Fiji taking Hayne in their squad without him earning it, and the All Blacks doing the same with SBW in the 2011 RWC? The All Blacks have more to lose (I think) than the Fiji 7s team, or at the very least they are on par. It's not beyond belief that a team might carry someone for star power reasons (or give them assurances about playing which is the general consensus overtime SBW signs a new NZRU contract). There are a lot of financial gains to be had and it would be hugely naive to think the Fiji Rugby Union don't have that in mind - in fact they would be absolute muppets in this day and age if they didn't. As for risking Gold for Hayne? I don't think it would be that big a risk, I have to do a bit more research on squad size for Rio (I thought it was 12 but it may be more), but I do believe it is not unreasonable to think you could carry someone in your squad. The match day squad is 12 (5 reserves), often in the 14 minute game a couple reserves don't even make the field so....

On top of that, you refer to Hayne's critics in NFL, and him achieving amazing goals inside of 12 months which is a fantastic point and an amazing part of his resume, BUT, he has a few days to prep for London (not 12 months), and that is the only tournament before the Olympics. That is a ridiculously short time frame. I'm not sure how much you know about 7s, maybe you are very familiar, but I am a big rugby guy and coming from NZ the goal for our Olympics squad was to give most of the 15s guys a whole world series to get up to standard, and even in that time frame many have struggled, and these are Union players making the switch (as opposed to an ex League player who hasn't touched the game in 2 years). Im sorry, but despite how amazing Hayne is, I just can't see how he can prove himself in such a short time frame.

Also, just to qualify a couple points, I had a think about how I would feel should a couple start All Blacks (like Barrett or Smith) be added to the squad so late in the piece with an eye to Rio and at the very least I would be hugely critical of the timing. I think as well there would be serious question marks over their ability to get up to play with the systems, and in particular get their physical condition in the right place for 7s (bearing in mind 7s requires completely different physical conditioning that 15s). And they are seasoned All Blacks, that have played a lot of 7s, and are currently in the middle of a 15s season. It's a massive ask mate for even the best rugby players in the world is all I am saying.

Genuinely interested in hearing your response, but if you could keep in mind that Im not having a go at you or Hayne I think it would be better.

Last edited by Rippin and Tearin on Tue May 17, 2016 8:20 am; edited 4 times in total
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Tue May 17, 2016 7:58 am

Ice wrote:

I think he said from the get go he was giving himself 2 years to make it. That he made it in 1 and is now officially accomplished the dream of starting an NFL game as a running back, he probably reassessed. In fact at the time he already played a few games and had probably started to consider options and one of those was definitly, given the likely timing of him finishing, a stint in Union.

Do you seriously believe that? If so, why not leave after last season? Why start the process again of trying to make the squad? Something has happened since the end of last season and I think the most logical thing is that he was told he was gonna be a special teams player and he wasn't into that. It was well documented how he struggled off the ball on the offence and was quite a liability, so to me anyway, that would all make sense.

EDIT: By the way, World Rugby has cleared Hayne to play amidst the WADA crap. I'm not surprised as I was having a think about it last night and World Rugby seemed happy for Nate Ebner to play 7s for the USA straight out of an NFL season this year....

Last edited by Rippin and Tearin on Tue May 17, 2016 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Tue May 17, 2016 8:27 am

Ice wrote:

Fair enough all.

I'd say this, if anyone needed the NFL adventure to get on board the train, then if they depart as he sets his goals again, then he hasn't really lost too much.  I'd understand people getting off the train, fair enough, I'd just say, do you (not you personally, people in general) feel better about yourselves in this guys failures or his success and if the answer is neither, why bother commenting.

I actually liked him more when he left for the NFL. I was an unabashed hater prior to that. I would much rather have seen him have another crack this year and get the job done.

I know the media scrutiny probably amplifies this, but he just seems flaky by a sudden announcement that he suddenly has another life long burning sporting goal.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Tue May 17, 2016 8:38 am

dasherhalo wrote:

I actually liked him more when he left for the NFL.  I was an unabashed hater prior to that. I would much rather have seen him have another crack this year and get the job done.

I know the media scrutiny probably amplifies this, but he just seems flaky by a sudden announcement that he suddenly  has another life long burning sporting goal.

Common, lets not kid ourselves, something has happened recently over in the US. Its not about him being flaky IMO, its re-evaluating goals and priorities based on the information he has, and surely that is quite understandable.

If anyone has got a better hypothesis other than (1) he was tapped on the shoulder and told he wasn't gonna make the cut or (2) that he was told he was gonna be a special teams player only and that didn't really fit with Haynes goals, then I would love to hear it.
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue May 17, 2016 8:42 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

First of all Ice, I believe you have me confused with some sort of "anti-Hayne" campaigner. That must have been going on well before I joined this forum, some kind of Queensland v NSW thing? I'm a Kiwi, no bias here at all I can assure you. Your posts in response to mine and others suggest there are many more emotions in this that I am bringing to the table. Later posts by others also suggest there is much more to this than I know about (and care about for that matter). So please, take my comments for what is written and nothing more, as I said previously I was a massive supporter of what Hayne was doing in the NFL, followed every minute of his career over there, and think what he achieved was out of this world.

That being said, whats the difference between Fiji taking Hayne in their squad without him earning it, and the All Blacks doing the same with SBW in the 2011 RWC? The All Blacks have more to lose (I think) than the Fiji 7s team, or at the very least they are on par. It's not beyond belief that a team might carry someone for star power reasons (or give them assurances about playing which is the general consensus overtime SBW signs a new NZRU contract). There are a lot of financial gains to be had and it would be hugely naive to think the Fiji Rugby Union don't have that in mind - in fact they would be absolute muppets in this day and age if they didn't. As for risking Gold for Hayne? I don't think it would be that big a risk, I have to do a bit more research on squad size for Rio (I thought it was 12 but it may be more), but I do believe it is not unreasonable to think you could carry someone in your squad. The match day squad is 12 (5 reserves), often in the 14 minute game a couple reserves don't even make the field so....

On top of that, you refer to Hayne's critics in NFL, and him achieving amazing goals inside of 12 months which is a fantastic point and an amazing part of his resume, BUT, he has a few days to prep for London (not 12 months), and that is the only tournament before the Olympics. That is a ridiculously short time frame. I'm not sure how much you know about 7s, maybe you are very familiar, but I am a big rugby guy and coming from NZ the goal for our Olympics squad was to give most of the 15s guys a whole world series to get up to standard, and even in that time frame many have struggled, and these are Union players making the switch (as opposed to an ex League player who hasn't touched the game in 2 years). Im sorry, but despite how amazing Hayne is, I just can't see how he can prove himself in such a short time frame.

Also, just to qualify a couple points, I had a think about how I would feel should a couple start All Blacks (like Barrett or Smith) be added to the squad so late in the piece with an eye to Rio and at the very least I would be hugely critical of the timing. I think as well there would be serious question marks over their ability to get up to play with the systems, and in particular get their physical condition in the right place for 7s (bearing in mind 7s requires completely different physical conditioning that 15s). And they are seasoned All Blacks, that have played a lot of 7s, and are currently in the middle of a 15s season. It's a massive ask mate for even the best rugby players in the world is all I am saying.

Genuinely interested in hearing your response, but if you could keep in mind that Im not having a go at you or Hayne I think it would be better.

Didn't read all that, but it wasn't meant to be a personal attack on you so sorry if it came across that way. Just a general comment about our society.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Tue May 17, 2016 8:46 am

Ice wrote:

Didn't read all that, but it wasn't meant to be a personal attack on you so sorry if it came across that way. Just a general comment about our society.

All good, bro. But not at all, I didnt mean to imply I felt attacked, I just thought the conversation, which I find a really interesting one, was a little unproductive when it seemed like it was becoming a pro vs anti Hayne thing. I find his move to 7s absolutely fascinating (as did I find his NFL stint) and given you seem to have followed his career closely I'd love to hear what you think. Have a read if you want to and let me know what you think.

I do think its a real shame he didn't stick it out in the NFL for another year. He could have been an exceptional special teams player IMO, and there is a lot of respect for those guys within true NFL circles. It may have gone over the heads of many people back in NZ and OZ, but he could have achieved some even more remarkable things if he had stayed.

By the way, are you gonna be able to watch the London 7s? I haven't looked at the time zone situation, but I will do my best to see it now. Really interested to see how much game time he gets and how he goes.
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue May 17, 2016 8:49 am

Ok, had a chance to read it. Plenty of fair points, like I said, I think it IS a massive task for Hayne and I to doubt he will make it, but I also think, if anyone can make it, Hayne has clearly proven he is the guy and I do think that he will make it on merit. I don't think in a squad as limited as 12 you can afford to carry a guy and though there may be financial benefits and yes, agree maybe they would think about them, I think Gold would be more valuable without Hayne than Silver or Bronze would be with him.

Smith and Barrett?? Never heard of them, so can't really be compared to Hayne.

Again, didn't mean anything personal against you so my apologies if that's how it came across.
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue May 17, 2016 8:53 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

Do you seriously believe that? If so, why not leave after last season? Why start the process again of trying to make the squad? Something has happened since the end of last season and I think the most logical thing is that he was told he was gonna be a special teams player and he wasn't into that. It was well documented how he struggled off the ball on the offence and was quite a liability, so to me anyway, that would all make sense.

EDIT: By the way, World Rugby has cleared Hayne to play amidst the WADA crap. I'm not surprised as I was having a think about it last night and World Rugby seemed happy for Nate Ebner to play 7s for the USA straight out of an NFL season this year....

I cannt speak to whether it's exactly what he thought, but I KNOW he was thinking Rugby as far back as September last year, so this doesn't surpirse me, and yes, If I was a punting man Id guess he was given some sort of indication he was gonna struggle to make the 49ers final squad this year.

Last edited by Ice on Tue May 17, 2016 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue May 17, 2016 8:56 am

dasherhalo wrote:

I actually liked him more when he left for the NFL.  I was an unabashed hater prior to that. I would much rather have seen him have another crack this year and get the job done.

I know the media scrutiny probably amplifies this, but he just seems flaky by a sudden announcement that he suddenly  has another life long burning sporting goal.

Can't disagree, I wanted him to have a crack this year too, but have said from the get go I expected him back in the NRL by 2017 or 2018 at the latest depending on a rugby stint.

But again, I'm not going to knock the block for taking another big risk with his career when he could walk into a million dollar contract in the NRL tomorrow. I Know I'm his number 1 fan boy around these parts and everyone has a bit of a laugh about that, and I'm sweet with it, and I'm not saying you are doing this personally, but I'm just over the negativity and people chipping the guy as opposed to supporting him.

Last edited by Ice on Tue May 17, 2016 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue May 17, 2016 8:57 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

Common, lets not kid ourselves, something has happened recently over in the US. Its not about him being flaky IMO, its re-evaluating goals and priorities based on the information he has, and surely that is quite understandable.

If anyone has got a better hypothesis other than (1) he was tapped on the shoulder and told he wasn't gonna make the cut or (2) that he was told he was gonna be a special teams player only and that didn't really fit with Haynes goals, then I would love to hear it.

This
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue May 17, 2016 9:13 am

dasherhalo wrote:

I'm the same mate.

I hate NSWelshman but I still like them better than Seppo's.

Now that Hayne has quit though I am just resuming normal operations.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue May 17, 2016 9:15 am

Ice wrote:

Just like if the Broncs don't win the NRL GF right?

Exactly   Wink

Did you like my Ice impersonation?

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:16 am