NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

    Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Share
    avatar
    Random
    Moderator

    Posts : 4542
    Reputation : 529
    Join date : 2015-01-12
    Age : 24

    Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Random on Mon May 16, 2016 8:33 am

    So Hayne has quit the 49ers to join Fijis Rugby Sevens Olympic Team.. Thoughts?
    avatar
    ryno_

    Posts : 832
    Reputation : 120
    Join date : 2015-09-27
    Age : 27

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by ryno_ on Mon May 16, 2016 9:47 am

    It looks like he's been given the tap on the shoulder and told that he wont make the cut, so they are giving him a chance to leave on his own terms.

    Interesting call from Chip, Hayne is usually the type of player he would love. He was never going to be RB1 but as a gadget player I think he had something to offer. Ahwell.

    Grade him a B for year 1 and an F for year 2. Still cant knock him for having a crack.

    Best news the Roosters have had all week.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Guest on Mon May 16, 2016 10:22 am

    Where can I bet that he will join the Roosters for 2017?
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 1134
    Reputation : 129
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Mon May 16, 2016 5:53 pm

    @ryno_ wrote:It looks like he's been given the tap on the shoulder and told that he wont make the cut, so they are giving him a chance to leave on his own terms.

    Interesting call from Chip, Hayne is usually the type of player he would love. He was never going to be RB1 but as a gadget player I think he had something to offer. Ahwell.

    Grade him a B for year 1 and an F for year 2. Still cant knock him for having a crack.

    Best news the Roosters have had all week.

    My brother in law, who's from the US and loves his NFL, reckoned he was looking really good to make another season with the 49ers. I agree that would make sense is if he was told he was gonna miss the cut, but it doesn't seem there were any indications of that. Perhaps though he was told this year he'd be focussing on special teams only and not on the offensive end. Maybe Hayne wasn't a big fan of doing that? He was a pretty big liability on offence last season.

    avatar
    ryno_

    Posts : 832
    Reputation : 120
    Join date : 2015-09-27
    Age : 27

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by ryno_ on Mon May 16, 2016 6:02 pm

    @Rippin and Tearin wrote:

    My brother in law, who's from the US and loves his NFL, reckoned he was looking really good to make another season with the 49ers. I agree that would make sense is if he was told he was gonna miss the cut, but it doesn't seem there were any indications of that. Perhaps though he was told this year he'd be focussing on special teams only and not on the offensive end. Maybe Hayne wasn't a big fan of doing that? He was a pretty big liability on offence last season.


    He's just seen the writing on the wall with the depth chart. I always thought he wouldnt play at all last year and this would be his season to break out. But looking at the 49ers depth chart, they have 6 other RBs on the roster and they are all younger then Hayne. Its unlikely he would have gotten a go through injury. I genuinely thought he showed enough promise that with 2 full offseasons under his belt, he'd be worth a shot, especially under Chip. Apparently not.
    avatar
    Revraiser

    Posts : 2287
    Reputation : 373
    Join date : 2015-10-22
    Location : Sydney

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Revraiser on Mon May 16, 2016 6:14 pm

    Everyone has forgotten the agreement he signed with the eels when he left. He wont be a Rooster 100% guaranteed.
    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 4562
    Reputation : 1236
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Honeysett on Mon May 16, 2016 6:28 pm

    @Revraiser wrote:Everyone has forgotten the agreement he signed with the eels when he left. He wont be a Rooster 100% guaranteed.

    If the Eels don't have enough money to pay for him he can go where ever he wants.
    avatar
    Revraiser

    Posts : 2287
    Reputation : 373
    Join date : 2015-10-22
    Location : Sydney

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Revraiser on Mon May 16, 2016 6:36 pm

    @Honeysett wrote:

    If the Eels don't have enough money to pay for him he can go where ever he wants.

    They'll make it happen HS, even if it means another cap investigation 3 years later tongue

    Or drop some other high paid future star again.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Guest on Mon May 16, 2016 6:42 pm

    @Revraiser wrote:Everyone has forgotten the agreement he signed with the eels when he left. He wont be a Rooster 100% guaranteed.
    First I have heard of it? Got a link?
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 1134
    Reputation : 129
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Mon May 16, 2016 7:09 pm

    @ryno_ wrote:

    He's just seen the writing on the wall with the depth chart. I always thought he wouldnt play at all last year and this would be his season to break out. But looking at the 49ers depth chart, they have 6 other RBs on the roster and they are all younger then Hayne. Its unlikely he would have gotten a go through injury. I genuinely thought he showed enough promise that with 2 full offseasons under his belt, he'd be worth a shot, especially under Chip. Apparently not.

    Yeah, so thats what I mean. He was very unlikely to be going to make it as an offensive player (basically that was guaranteed given the players the 49ers have on their books, barring injury as you say), but he did have a legitimate chance to be a solid special teams player. What I'm asking is, do you think that his vision of his NFL dream was that he would be able to make his way into the offensive team rotations as a RB? and that once he realised that at best he was gonna be a special teams player he decided to bail?
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 1134
    Reputation : 129
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Mon May 16, 2016 7:12 pm

    Bren wrote:
    First I have heard of it? Got a link?

    I'd be interested as well. In NZ all they are reporting is 7s then the Roosters.

    Nobody is that dumb that they would sign something to say they won't play somewhere are they?

    Is this not just another Benji type situation?



    avatar
    Revraiser

    Posts : 2287
    Reputation : 373
    Join date : 2015-10-22
    Location : Sydney

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Revraiser on Mon May 16, 2016 8:34 pm

    This article mentions it, i know its just an article but i cant recall where else i read about it.

    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/eels/jarryd-hayne-has-spent-two-years-building-up-the-courage-to-chase-his-american-football-dream/news-story/2375b51d524b1ede5dfd6de334f8a5a1
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 1134
    Reputation : 129
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Mon May 16, 2016 9:06 pm

    @Revraiser wrote:This article mentions it, i know its just an article but i cant recall where else i read about it.

    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/eels/jarryd-hayne-has-spent-two-years-building-up-the-courage-to-chase-his-american-football-dream/news-story/2375b51d524b1ede5dfd6de334f8a5a1

    Thanks mate. Yeah you are right?
    "While Parramatta have granted Hayne permission to walk out on the final year of his contract the Eels poster boy has also signed an agreement saying that, should he return, it would be with his old club."

    I guess that was the concession he had to make to break contract? I don't know much about these sorts of things, but it does look like he actually signed something, unlike Benji who just said he would never play for anyone other than the Tigers.

    Interesting!!
    avatar
    Revraiser

    Posts : 2287
    Reputation : 373
    Join date : 2015-10-22
    Location : Sydney

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Revraiser on Tue May 17, 2016 12:27 am

    Aside from parramatta wanting to sew it up if he came back, to me the biggest clue is Haynes personality, from what you can glean being a fan/spectator, he is one of few who would clearly prioritize loyalty over lure. If he plays Nrl again it would be with the Eels only.
    Aside from that, dont.know what type of.legal doc may have been drawn up, but I'd be sure hayne happily signed it.
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 1134
    Reputation : 129
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Tue May 17, 2016 7:32 am

    Cheers @revraiser - you may well be right, I don't know the guy well enough to judge any of that kind of stuff, but as your link points out, it appears he signed something, so personality or not, he's kinda locked himself in there (unless of course they grant him release which could be very likely if the NRL wants to do some kind of deal).

    I was having a think about the WADA issue. Another NFL player, Nate Ebner, who played for the Patriots this last season (and has done so for several years), managed to switch straight into the USA 7s team with no stand down period or any issues as far as I could tell.
    avatar
    Revraiser

    Posts : 2287
    Reputation : 373
    Join date : 2015-10-22
    Location : Sydney

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Revraiser on Tue May 17, 2016 8:04 am

    Regarding WADA, i plead ignorance here, but first thing I thought was that there may be Nfl friendly drugs that are used by the clubs. So if a player goes to another code relatively quickly he would likely have something in hus system.
    What other reason stops players switching codes ?


    Last edited by Revraiser on Tue May 17, 2016 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 1134
    Reputation : 129
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Tue May 17, 2016 8:42 am

    What I heard is that the NFL is not WADA compliant and the rules for WADA compliant sports is a 6 month stand down period. Well that is what the old WADA boss was saying. It sounded like he was being a bit of a jerk though and was a bit anti Hayne.

    I thought about that more though and remembered that Ebner, who played for the Pats last NFL season has been playing 7s for the USA for much of the season. As far as I knew there was no issue with him so how could an issue be made with Hayne.

    As it turns out I've just heard World Rugby has cleared Hayne to play, so its a non issue now anyway.
    avatar
    Revraiser

    Posts : 2287
    Reputation : 373
    Join date : 2015-10-22
    Location : Sydney

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Revraiser on Tue May 17, 2016 8:57 am

    Cleared by all ?
    WADA may just have protocol or requirements that need to be met to clear a player. Not sure. Interesting hey RP.
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 1134
    Reputation : 129
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Tue May 17, 2016 9:25 am

    @Revraiser wrote:Cleared by all ?
    WADA may just have protocol or requirements that need to be met to clear a player. Not sure. Interesting hey RP.

    This is a copy and paste from a NZherald article today:
    "Jarryd Hayne will be free to play the London Sevens for Fiji, if selected.

    World Rugby has moved to clarify the former San Francisco 49ers running back's eligibility after speculation he may have to stand down six months because the NFL doesn't subscribe to the World Anti-Doping Agency code.

    But in a statement, rugby's governing body says they do not require a player to be in a testing pool for a defined period of time before international selection.

    World Rugby says Hayne is eligible for the London round of the world sevens, subject to all other regulatory and registration matters being met."

    It goes completely against what the old WADA boss said so who bloody knows. WADA is a joke though so I guess we shouldn't expect anything different.
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 1134
    Reputation : 129
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: Hayne to play Rugby 7s

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:13 pm

    Hayne got cut form the Fiji 7s team today.

      Current date/time is Wed May 24, 2017 9:56 pm