NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

    Hayne Quits NFL

    Share
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 1031
    Reputation : 108
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Tue May 17, 2016 7:38 am

    @Ice wrote:Ok, had a chance to read it. Plenty of fair points, like I said, I think it IS a massive task for Hayne and I to doubt he will make it, but I also think, if anyone can make it, Hayne has clearly proven he is the guy and I do think that he will make it on merit. I don't think in a squad as limited as 12 you can afford to carry a guy and though there may be financial benefits and yes, agree maybe they would think about them, I think Gold would be more valuable without Hayne than Silver or Bronze would be with him.

    Smith and Barrett?? Never heard of them, so can't really be compared to Hayne.

    Again, didn't mean anything personal against you so my apologies if that's how it came across.

    Good on ya bro, seems we are on the same page about pretty much anything. No need to apologise either mate, I didn't take it personally at all, just wanted to try and steer the conversation in a different direction. The whole "I hate New South Welshman" thing weeks of little kids throwing dirt Wink

    Without doubt Gold would be more valuable without Hayne than the alternative, but there is an argument to say that IF Hayne can show enough in training and London, then perhaps they think they would be able to select him. But lets be honest Fiji are gonna have to take him on a lot of good will if he is to make the Rio squad. That's not to say he won't also have to show that he has a heap of talent in 7s, has the capability of learning the trade quickly etc etc. So IMO it will be a balance of the two. I just can't see him being able to get to the point where he is legitimately better than Fijis 12th best player. Again, I'd point out the SBW example for the ABs in 2011 though. It is widely accepted there was no way he was good enough to make that squad, but the ABs were good enough to carry him, and to be fair it wasn't as if he was a bunny, he was a good player, just not AB elite in many peoples opinions and the ABs were that good that they were able to win.

    The Barrett/Smith thing is not really a comparison to Hayne, rather they are arguably the best the All Blacks have to offer the 7s squad, so my point was really that I think if I was to try and put my self in your shoes, how would I feel about the absolute top NZ talent trying to make the NZ 7s team at this late stage? and to be honest I think I would be pretty critical of the timing at least and I would be concerned about a couple other technical / fitness issues as well. That being said I would be massively excited to see how they would go.
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 1031
    Reputation : 108
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Tue May 17, 2016 7:46 am

    @Ice wrote:

    I cannt speak to whether it's exactly what he thought, but I KNOW he was thinking Rugby as far back as September last year, so this doesn't surpirse me, and yes, If I was a punting man Id guess he was given some sort of indication he was gonna struggle to make the 49ers final squad this year.

    OK, cool, yeah I didn't know that. Interesting, it wasn't reported over here, well at least I didn't see it. Well there is no doubt at all he could get a massive short term contract in France, England, or Japan, and thats a pretty good place to start I reckon. Although if he truly wants to learn how to play rugby he should come to the NZ national comp. Best rugby in the world and would be his best option if he actually wants to be a successful Union player. Would have to sacrifice a bit of cash and fame though.

    It also seems this 7s idea has been in the making for at least the last month as I understand that he started his passport application 1 month ago.

    Also just heard his press conference from this morning: There will be a highlights package released of his first training run later. No cameras allowed in training. (no surprises there though). As far as I could ascertain Hayne is not even guaranteed to play in London although the PR spin and rhetoric is so ridiculous that to be honest you would be a fool to believe anything that is said right now.

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 820
    Reputation : 156
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Tue May 17, 2016 8:09 am

    It is not even about whether you can carry an additional bloke in the squad and still win the gold.

    What is being lost in this whole Hayne-fest is the poor bastard that has been playing 7's for x number of years but misses out on his spot in the squad (and potentially a gold medal) for what may be a token selection.
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 1031
    Reputation : 108
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Tue May 17, 2016 8:14 am

    @Oz Sport Mad wrote:It is not even about whether you can carry an additional bloke in the squad and still win the gold.

    What is being lost in this whole Hayne-fest is the poor bastard that has been playing 7's for x number of years but misses out on his spot in the squad (and potentially a gold medal) for what may be a token selection.

    That's not lost at all mate, but remember Fiji only just brought in 5 other new guys into their squad for Paris that hadn't played all season. So potentially up to 6 regulars miss out. No-one seemed to be up in arms then? Why is it so different now?
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 1031
    Reputation : 108
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Tue May 17, 2016 8:23 am

    So I just read an article that says that Hayne could actually play in the NRL this year. Do you guys reckon he will?

    The article stated that teams would have to sign him before June 30 and could then let him play the Olympics (if he made the cut) before returning to the NRL and play in the finals. Could be interesting... The two clubs mentioned were the Titans and Roosters.

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 820
    Reputation : 156
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Tue May 17, 2016 1:06 pm

    @Rippin and Tearin wrote:

    That's not lost at all mate, but remember Fiji only just brought in 5 other new guys into their squad for Paris that hadn't played all season. So potentially up to 6 regulars miss out. No-one seemed to be up in arms then? Why is it so different now?

    No issue at all if it isn't a token selection and is merely an inclusion based on what is best for the performance of the team.

    What is different now is that it might be a token selection and not an inclusion based on what is best for the performance of the team.....
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 1510
    Reputation : 106
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Pieman on Tue May 17, 2016 2:24 pm

    @Ice wrote:

    Hmmmm, now where have I seen a comment similar to this, about a guy never having played a sport, cracking a team inside 12 months against guys who have played it their whole life, now, let me just think Idea .....of course.......

    Seriously laugh at people thinking the Fijian Rugby Association and their head coach would risk a Gold just so they could take Hayne. Seriously, give yourselves a dozen and have a bit of respect for them and their skills in this unique form of the game. These are deeply religious guys who have little care for fame glory and dollars, you seriously think they are gonna risk a Gold for Hayne.

    I honestly doubt he will make the side. But if he does, it will be on merit for sure. I just can't beleive, after he proved everyone wrong with the NFL the tall poppy haters are soooo quick to have a per crack at him.  Seriously, our country is a nation of whingers and haters, it's pathetic.

    THEY APPROACHED HIM!!!
    Far out...

    Good luck to him, he has one of the all time great aussie sport stories, but to think that he is just quitting on a whim and going ... its mental. He literally said that they approached him about playing. Thats the difference between the NFL thing and this.

    Also, personally, I think he had been in touch with reggie bush's people before he went. He was certainly going to the Lions at one stage. Bush is cut and signs with the 49ers, all of a sudden Hayne signs with the 49ers. There is so much more going on behind the scenes than we will ever know.

    And it was remarkable that he made a squad in the nfl. 100% amazing.
    He also got cut mid season from the team, no other team wanted him on the waivers, got signed to the practice team, was on the bench for how ever many games, fumbled how ever many times and basically did nothing to make in impact in the regular season.
    Its incredible that he made the squad tho and had a few runs - but what he actually did on the field in the regular season was 100% unspectacular.
    Its also hugely disappointing that he isnt going to be there for a second year. After learning and building for a year, it would have been amazing to see him actually used and see his development.
    There was also a massive ? over whether he would make the squad this year and how much impact and game time he could have had.

    Maybe he was told he wont make the squad this year.
    Maybe he wasnt.

    Maybe he was told he has a spot in the side 7s if he wants it.
    Maybe he wasnt.

    Maybe he will come back to the NRL
    Maybe he wont

    (Personally, I would love to see him take on Union, I think he would dominate the 15 a side game)

    Ice the way you carry on about it is hilarious. Youre totally one way on it - some people are totally the other, where in reality its most likely somewhere in the middle.






    Ice

    Posts : 416
    Reputation : 22
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Ice on Tue May 17, 2016 2:44 pm

    @Oz Sport Mad wrote:

    Exactly   Wink

    Did you like my Ice impersonation?

    Not bad!

    Ice

    Posts : 416
    Reputation : 22
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Ice on Tue May 17, 2016 3:58 pm

    @Oz Sport Mad wrote:It is not even about whether you can carry an additional bloke in the squad and still win the gold.

    What is being lost in this whole Hayne-fest is the poor bastard that has been playing 7's for x number of years but misses out on his spot in the squad (and potentially a gold medal) for what may be a token selection.

    He will miss out because he isn't as good as Hayne, plain and simple. Again, you're a self confessed Hayne hater OS, which is fine, but you'll have to accept that the coach of the Fiji 7s is a credible and decent bloke and will only pick Hayne if he thinks he deserves it. Why would he put his own reputation on the line for Hayne or any other convert? Would you? No? So why would this guy?

    Ice

    Posts : 416
    Reputation : 22
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Ice on Tue May 17, 2016 3:59 pm

    @Rippin and Tearin wrote:So I just read an article that says that Hayne could actually play in the NRL this year. Do you guys reckon he will?

    The article stated that teams would have to sign him before June 30 and could then let him play the Olympics (if he made the cut) before returning to the NRL and play in the finals. Could be interesting... The two clubs mentioned were the Titans and Roosters.

    Might be theoretically possible, but it won't happen.

    Ice

    Posts : 416
    Reputation : 22
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Ice on Tue May 17, 2016 4:07 pm

    @Pieman wrote:

    THEY APPROACHED HIM!!!
    Far out...

    Good luck to him, he has one of the all time great aussie sport stories, but to think that he is just quitting on a whim and going ... its mental. He literally said that they approached him about playing. Thats the difference between the NFL thing and this.

    Also, personally, I think he had been in touch with reggie bush's people before he went. He was certainly going to the Lions at one stage. Bush is cut and signs with the 49ers, all of a sudden Hayne signs with the 49ers. There is so much more going on behind the scenes than we will ever know.

    And it was remarkable that he made a squad in the nfl. 100% amazing.
    He also got cut mid season from the team, no other team wanted him on the waivers, got signed to the practice team, was on the bench for how ever many games, fumbled how ever many times and basically did nothing to make in impact in the regular season.
    Its incredible that he made the squad tho and had a few runs - but what he actually did on the field in the regular season was 100% unspectacular.
    Its also hugely disappointing that he isnt going to be there for a second year. After learning and building for a year, it would have been amazing to see him actually used and see his development.
    There was also a massive ? over whether he would make the squad this year and how much impact and game time he could have had.

    Maybe he was told he wont make the squad this year.
    Maybe he wasnt.

    Maybe he was told he has a spot in the side 7s if he wants it.
    Maybe he wasnt.

    Maybe he will come back to the NRL
    Maybe he wont

    (Personally, I would love to see him take on Union, I think he would dominate the 15 a side game)

    Ice the way you carry on about it is hilarious. Youre totally one way on it - some people are totally the other, where in reality its most likely somewhere in the middle.






    Good rant.

    How am I one way on it?

    He left the NRL for the NFL and few if any thought he would make a practice squad let alone ever take the filed in the regular season, but he even started a game at running back. That in itself is unheralded for an Aussie athlete who was at the peak of his powers in another sport.

    I imagine he was likely told he wouldn't get a roster spot, but think he HAD thought about rugby and possible the 7's/Olympic option earlier. I agree Fiji DID approach him, never said they didn't, I just don't think they have guaranteed him a certain Olympic spot.
    I wish he had stuck out this season in the NFL, absolutely, but if he knew he wasn't gonna make the cut then this decision is perfectly reasonable, and I support it.

    Yep, when I read all that, gee, cracks me up, so hilarious and one way, fair point.
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 1031
    Reputation : 108
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Tue May 17, 2016 4:20 pm

    @Oz Sport Mad wrote:

    No issue at all if it isn't a token selection and is merely an inclusion based on what is best for the performance of the team.

    What is different now is that it might be a token selection and not an inclusion based on what is best for the performance of the team.....

    To be fair, anyone who hasn't played the majority of the season can't claim to have earned a spot. So if you want to be consistent with your argument then it is an issue.

    I dont believe they will select Hayne if he doesn't show enough promise, and I would say the same thing about these other 5 lads that only just joined the fray.

    Like I said, same issue, but only now people are making a big deal out of it. Do you actually follow the 7s? Just wondering.

    Ice

    Posts : 416
    Reputation : 22
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Ice on Tue May 17, 2016 4:33 pm

    @Rippin and Tearin wrote:

    To be fair, anyone who hasn't played the majority of the season can't claim to have earned a spot. So if you want to be consistent with your argument then it is an issue.

    I dont believe they will select Hayne if he doesn't show enough promise, and I would say the same thing about these other 5 lads that only just joined the fray.

    Like I said, same issue, but only now people are making a big deal out of it. Do you actually follow the 7s? Just wondering.

    I get your point here and I can't speak for OSM, but by "earned" I personally don't mean "have been around the team, worked hard, been involved in everything" earned, I mean, "talented enough that his natural skill will allow him to demonstrate in a very short space of time that he is a better option than the twelfth best player currently in line for a position" earned. On that basis he can claim to have "earned" it with the years of dedication he has put in to be a gifted athlete with an ability to switch codes and be successful and show his worth to a team.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 1510
    Reputation : 106
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Pieman on Tue May 17, 2016 4:51 pm

    @Ice wrote:

    Good rant.

    How am I one way on it?

    He left the NRL for the NFL and few if any thought he would make a practice squad let alone ever take the filed in the regular season, but he even started a game at running back. That in itself is unheralded for an Aussie athlete who was at the peak of his powers in another sport.

    I imagine he was likely told he wouldn't get a roster spot, but think he HAD thought about rugby and possible the 7's/Olympic option earlier. I agree Fiji DID approach him, never said they didn't, I just don't think they have guaranteed him a certain Olympic spot.
    I wish he had stuck out this season in the NFL, absolutely, but if he knew he wasn't gonna make the cut then this decision is perfectly reasonable, and I support it.

    Yep, when I read all that, gee, cracks me up, so hilarious and one way, fair point.

    Yes mate, I agree and have said many times its amazing that he made a team and got a run.
    He also only got a start in that game because of all the injuries they had in his position and he arguably only ever got runs in the running back spot because of all the injuries they had. That doesnt take away from the fact he actually did it, so good on him. He did prove that he still had a fuck load of development to do, with all his fumbles and missed blocks etc etc. Thats why its so disapointing that he didnt stick it out for a bit longer to show his development.

    If he was told he wasnt going to make the team - he has done the right thing by jumping - so he doesnt look like a failure.

    Im sure he has thought about playing 7s in the olympics before too, I wonder if he was approached by or approached the aussie team.

    Personally, I think this is how it went:

    Hayne has been told he wont make it past the next round of cuts.
    He has been approached by the Fiji 7s team a while ago to play, now that he is unemployed he is taking up the opportunity before returning to league next year with the Roosters.

    I think he will go well in the 7s and then will go well when he returns to league/goes to union in europe/starts playing lacrosse etc after the olympics

    I get that you are a Hayne supporter, so am I, but the way you write stuff - it comes across as if you are a little naive about all - or you look at it a little too positively lol all good tho mate!
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 1031
    Reputation : 108
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Tue May 17, 2016 6:25 pm

    SO just to clarify, assuming I heard correctly, Fiji got in touch with Hayne either 3 years ago or 1 year ago (sorry I can't be positive which one it was, but it was a while back), then 3 months ago Hayne got in touch with Ben Ryan and showed interest in Rio.

    Why is this important? Well the way things got reported initially, and the way it seems some people have interpreted things, it was made to sound like Fiji had shoulder tapped him very recently and thats why he has gone to London, but by all accounts it was ages ago, and its actually Hayne approaching them more recently that has led to him heading to London.

    I think this explains a lot. I was struggling to get my head around why Fiji would be pursuing Hayne so late in the piece, but actually they were not.

    Also, did anyone listen / watch Ryans interview. I have to say after watching that I am far less confident Hayne will get a spot on the team.

    Lastly I wish Hayne would get a different media manager/PR guy. He's not coming off well IMO. This whole "Im following my dream" thing is a little redundant now and I feel like he is taking us for fools.
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 1031
    Reputation : 108
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Tue May 17, 2016 6:27 pm

    @Ice wrote:

    I get your point here and I can't speak for OSM, but by "earned" I personally don't mean "have been around the team, worked hard, been involved in everything" earned, I mean, "talented enough that his natural skill will allow him to demonstrate in a very short space of time that he is a better option than the twelfth best player currently in line for a position" earned. On that basis he can claim to have "earned" it with the years of dedication he has put in to be a gifted athlete with an ability to switch codes and be successful and show his worth to a team.

    Yup for sure, I understand what you mean. I just think the whole, he's taking someone else's spot thing is a bit silly given these other 5 guys that have only recently come been drafted in. But to be honest I suspect the other fullah didn't actually know about those new squad members. Will see what he says though.
    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 4459
    Reputation : 1184
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Honeysett on Tue May 17, 2016 7:06 pm

    My dream is to make millions of dollars doing sweet fuck all, smoke some joints and nail a different model each night. You reckon I could get away with that? I don't think so.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Guest on Tue May 17, 2016 7:14 pm

    @Honeysett wrote:My dream is to make millions of dollars doing sweet fuck all, smoke some joints and nail a different model each night. You reckon I could get away with that? I don't think so.
    You could fulfill that dream with a little tweaking. You would have to sacrifice and settle for plus sized models though.
    avatar
    dasherhalo

    Posts : 374
    Reputation : 72
    Join date : 2015-10-23

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by dasherhalo on Tue May 17, 2016 7:29 pm

    @Honeysett wrote:My dream is to make millions of dollars doing sweet fuck all, smoke some joints and nail a different model each night. You reckon I could get away with that? I don't think so.

    I've seen some shit shows on TV. This wouldn't be the worst. Plus, I could be pointing at the TV, going "I knew that bloke before he was famous, and f*cking whales!"

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 820
    Reputation : 156
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: Hayne Quits NFL

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Tue May 17, 2016 8:59 pm

    @Rippin and Tearin wrote:

    Yup for sure, I understand what you mean. I just think the whole, he's taking someone else's spot thing is a bit silly given these other 5 guys that have only recently come been drafted in. But to be honest I suspect the other fullah didn't actually know about those new squad members. Will see what he says though.

    Please, I religiously follow the 7's.....
    Does going to the GC 7's count (before we lost the event)???

    Regardless, how is it silly?
    It's a perfectly reasonable aspect to query.

    The other blokes you talk of all play Rugby and have played a lot of 7's......it's deadset chalk and cheese mate.

    My earlier shit-stirring of Ice aside.....I'm not trying to be a Hayne-basher here.

    If Hayne shows that he is a better player than some of these other blokes then fair enough but I'm not sure how he can possibly can prove that, particularly given such a small sample size.

    Barring a standout player of the tournament performance in London; if Hayne is selected in the Rio squad, it is almost certainly a token/publicity selection......despite all this rhetoric about it being a legitimate contest.

      Current date/time is Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:15 pm