NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Hayne Quits NFL

Dip

Hayne Quits NFL  - Page 2 Empty Re: Hayne Quits NFL

Post by Dip Mon May 16, 2016 1:46 pm

Pieman wrote:

Hayne and Thurston are about the only players I can think of where it is appropriate for something like the warchest to be used..

If they do use the warchest on him then they should say - only if you play for Team A, B or C.

This. I sometimes wonder the "war chest" actually exists, or is just a myth or some sort of consolidated reserve. Surely if for example $8m is available, the clubs will be saying "Give us our share ($500K) of it now and raise the salary cap by the same amount so that we can sign players and stop them going overseas or to the ESL in the first place". History shows that when the salary cap is raised it is the highest paid players who get almost all the increase.

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Mon May 16, 2016 2:04 pm

I think the war chest was a convenient way to explain they had money left over from the TV rights deal that they weren't spending. I wouldn't be surprised if it has since been pissed away on exec salaries.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon May 16, 2016 2:19 pm

Dip wrote:

This. I sometimes wonder the "war chest" actually exists, or is just a myth or some sort of consolidated reserve. Surely if for example $8m is available, the clubs will be saying "Give us our share ($500K) of it now and raise the salary cap by the same amount so that we can sign players and stop them going overseas or to the ESL in the first place". History shows that when the salary cap is raised it is the highest paid players who get almost all the increase.

exactly, players arent dumb (well some are). good ones get paid in % of the salary cap so if the cap goes up, so does their wage.

Last edited by Pieman on Mon May 16, 2016 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon May 16, 2016 3:12 pm

Pieman wrote:

If he has been doing drug testing on the side, or if there are records of him being tested regularly, there shouldn't be an issue? You would think that they would have covered this before him making the official announcement tho.

Personally, I would love to see him playing union, he would bring the Wallabies back to being a force in union. He would make Super rugby look easy too. Would LOVE to see him playing 10 or 15 in union.

Hi, has Hayne said anything about his options post 7s? I notice a few people talking Union (15 aside), to be honest I never once thought that until I read this thread. I just assumed 100% he would go back to the NRL. Has something been mentioned about him wanting to play 15s?

I'm not sure how he would go by the way. Folau has been good at Union, very good, SBW was good as well, but both took a bit of time to get up to standard. My pick is that Hayne would be similar - probably a good winger or fullback and as you say, would probably end up in the Wallabies. I don't think he'd make super rugby look easy though at al, infact I think he'd take some time to get up to scratch and I'd hope he went through some club footy, perhaps in Europe or Japan first, or even the NZ ITM cup to learn his trade before hitting Super Rugby as that level is pretty good when you are up against the big teams.

As for a return to NFL, there is no way that is gonna happen now. He was slowly learning his trade, but to be honest he was a bit of a liability on offence and thats why he got no game time. He could have been a good special teams player given time, but with whats happened I reckon he'd find it very tough to get back into any system. The odd thing is though it did seem like he was gonna get another crack with the 49ers, well at least thats what my brother in law in the US says, and he is pretty up with the play with NFL.

The other thing that I find very interesting is that Fiji is the No. 1 in 7s right now. They have a big squad of players and as far as I know they just blooded 5 new star players who came into the squad for the Paris tournament. These are all pretty big names in the 15 aside game, and were considered solid options for Rio. So that means Hayne is probably battling 10-15 other guys for about 5 spots in the Rio squad. Given he only has one tournament to show his worth it would be a massive risk to take him IMO.

The whole thing is intriguing to say the least.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon May 16, 2016 3:24 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

The whole thing is intriguing to say the least.

Totally agree R&T.

Nah nothing has been said about it, but surely if he goes well the ARU will come calling.
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon May 16, 2016 3:28 pm

Pieman wrote:

Totally agree R&T.

Nah nothing has been said about it, but surely if he goes well the ARU will come calling.

I assume if he plays for Fiji, even in 7's, that will rule him ineligible for the Wallabies????
    Ice

Post by Ice Mon May 16, 2016 3:31 pm

Wow, was not expecting that. Having achieved what nobody believed he could achieve inside 12 months, the great man resets his goals and is off again on what is arguably an even tougher challenge. Breaking into the best 7's side in the world inside a few months.

Still he is already with the side in London, so he is going to give it a red hot crack by the sounds of it.  

Zappia indicated when he met with him in Phoenix late last year that his next play would be big money Rugby in France or Japan ahead of a return to NRL in 2017 or 2018 depending on how things panned out, so that seem most likely.

As to where he ends up, well, as some have alluded to, if the NRL don't open the "war Chest" for Hayne then they will never open it for anyone.  And i still don't see why they would't allow it to be at the Eels.  A successful Parramatta is millions of dollars on the bottom line for the NRL, and far more important for the game than sending him to backwaters like the Gold Coast or Newcastle

Surely Greenberg isn't dumb enough to stuff that up like his predecessors did with Izzy. I see know reason why, assuming Shubert cleans up the cap mess, which is basically sorted, we couldn't secure both Norman and Hayne, in fact the NRL should be doing everything they can to ensure he ends up back at the Eels.

Seriously though, wow, if he gets an Olympic Medal. I mean, there is no way they will pick him if doesn't deserve it, so if he does get selected, shut the gate, debate over, if it still exists.

What a fearless freak to even try just knowing how incredibly hard it would be for him to make this 7's side.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon May 16, 2016 3:34 pm

Mate if they reached out to him as he said, then they would have guaranteed him a spot in the side already.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon May 16, 2016 4:01 pm

Dip wrote:

I assume if he plays for Fiji, even in 7's, that will rule him ineligible for the Wallabies????

Yes, I think you are correct. Last time I checked playing 7s for a Union ruled you out of playing 15s from another. They bloody change things all the time though. Without thinking about it before, perhaps that is what was going on in the back of my mind when I didn't consider that he would be thinking Wallabies.

Ice

Post by Ice Mon May 16, 2016 4:06 pm

Pieman wrote:Mate if they reached out to him as he said, then they would have guaranteed him a spot in the side already.

Nope, unlikely and no evidence to suggest thats what he needs to make the switch. They may have reached out and said, "If you want to try, you'll be welcome with open arms to give it your best shot". Remember, he already has a great relationship with the Fijian players and team cause of the support he has always showed them and did again earlier this year.

But go ahead people, if you want to keep telling yourselves the only reason he makes the side if he does, and in my view it is a very BIG if given that the Fijian are the best 7s team in the world, is because he was assured a spot, if that's what allows you to tell yourself he isn't actually the freakiest athlete we've seen in forever, then no dramas.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon May 16, 2016 4:07 pm

Pieman wrote:Mate if they reached out to him as he said, then they would have guaranteed him a spot in the side already.

Perhaps, although thats not how it worked for the NZ 7s side. Coach reached out to a n=bunch of players and if they took up his offer then they got the opportunity to put their case forward for selection based on the tourneys they played in the world series. Nothing was guaranteed.

And Fiji is an interesting case, as I've alluded to, they are easily the most competitive squad loaded with talent. It's the hardest squad to break into, and they are already No. 1 and favs to win. It would be a massive risk taking him to Rio IMO. That being said, perhaps the coup of having him is worth it somehow. 7s is just such a different game to the NRL, its even a whole heap different to Union 15s. The type of fitness you have to have is quite unique as well. I find it hard to believe Hayne will get up to standard on both levels.

Time will tell I guess.

My guess is he makes the 12 and pretty much rides the bench for the whole tournament.

EDIT: I rate the guy, not nocking him at all, and what he did in the NFL was quite remarkable and has set the benchmark for other to try and emulate but doing the Union/League switch from down under. But even SBW needed guarantees from the NZ rugby Union IMO to make the switch and he is a pretty freakish athlete as well - similar to Hayne in many respects. These guys aren't dumb, they tend to make sure much is aligned for them before they do the switch. That being said, clearly Hayne went out on a limb with the NFL, so perhaps, he may have done the same here. Doubt it though.

Last edited by Rippin and Tearin on Mon May 16, 2016 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ice

Post by Ice Mon May 16, 2016 4:09 pm

Pieman wrote:

Totally agree R&T.

What do you mean nothing has been said? As I said in my first post today, Zappia called it after meeting Hayne in Phoenix last year. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in a sportal post, or maybe even an early one on this forum somewhere last year. A big pay day for a year or possibly two was always the next thing on Haynes agenda. I can't believe people hadn't heard it or realised it.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon May 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Ice wrote:
    Seriously though, wow, if he gets an Olympic Medal. I mean, there is no way they will pick him if doesn't deserve it, so if he does get selected, shut the gate, debate over, if it still exists.

What do you mean 'wow'???
    He is tagging along with the best 7's side in the world, clearly as a token selection.

To be honest if Fiji doesn't win the Gold, even carrying Hayne in their team, then they have clearly underachieved and quite frankly Hayne's venture into 7's Rugby will be seen as a similar failure to his NFL stint
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon May 16, 2016 5:04 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

He is tagging along with the best 7's side in the world, clearly as a token selection.

To be honest if Fiji doesn't win the Gold, even carrying Hayne in their team, then they have clearly underachieved and quite frankly Hayne's venture into 7's Rugby will be seen as a similar failure to his NFL stint

I completely disagree with that statement. Do you know how competitive 7s is these days? If Fiji don't win it will be a massive disappointment but it will in now way necessarily be an underachievement!!!

This season there have been 9 tournaments: Fiji have won 3, NZ 3, and Kenya, SA, and Samoa have each won 1 tournament. On top of that there are probably another 4 of 5 teams who have legitimate chances to win at Rio.

In terms of odds, my bookie has NZ as favourites, marginally ahead of Fiji (at 2:1) who are in turn only marginally more favoured than SA.

All that being said I do find the whole thing very odd. If Fiji take him I kinda agree, it will be as a token. As I said b4 7s is an extremely tough and unique game. Almost impossible for a Union player to pickup in just one tournament let alone a league player who has been playing NFL for the last year+. Not to mention the physical/fitness demands.

The Fiji coach says he hasn't guaranteed Hayne a spot, but thats what the ABs said about SBW too. Sometimes from a financial perspective it is simply a no brainer to include these types of players if the opportunity arises.

EDIT: I tell you what though, IMO, regardless of how competitive 7s is, the one country who if they don't win will see it as an absolute underachievement is NZ. The NZRU stated that Rio would be the priority this year, but their actions have not supported their statement. All Super Rugby players were allowed to play in Rio and everyone just expected our team would be stacked full of guys like Ben Smith, Barrett, Julian Savea, Keiran Read etc, but in the end only a couple Super Rugby players put their names forward and none of them were those big stars. We've won the 7s circuit pretty much every year its been running, and in every year bar one when 7s has been at the Comm Games NZ has put their best team forward and won. For some reason they have bungled Rio though and its very likely we won't win.... As with anything Rugby related in NZ, if we don't win, peoples heads will be on the block!

Last edited by Rippin and Tearin on Mon May 16, 2016 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon May 16, 2016 5:06 pm

Ice wrote:

What do you mean nothing has been said?  As I said in my first post today, Zappia called it after meeting Hayne in Phoenix last year. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in a sportal post, or maybe even an early one on this forum somewhere last year. A big pay day for a year or possibly two was always the next thing on Haynes agenda. I can't believe people hadn't heard it or realised it.

I've never really followed any of that stuff. So was Hayne's idea to only play a season or 2 in the NFL? Is that all he wanted to accomplish there? I just always assumed he was keen to actually try and make it in the NFL. Or did he think that he was gonna be able to achieve it in less than 2 years??

I just always assumed nothing else was on his mind other than 100% committing to the NFL and making a real go of it.
    code delta
    code delta

Post by code delta Mon May 16, 2016 7:04 pm

Ice wrote:

Surely Greenberg isn't dumb enough to stuff that up like his predecessors did with Izzy. I see know reason why, assuming Shubert cleans up the cap mess, which is basically sorted, we couldn't secure both Norman and Hayne, in fact the NRL should be doing everything they can to ensure he ends up back at the Eels.

Norman and Hayne without getting rid of more players??
    The warchest don't exist, the salary cap says so.
    Imagine the league saying "bad Eels, you overspent. But here, have a bunch of money so about the most expensive player in the NRL can play with you."
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon May 16, 2016 7:11 pm

code delta wrote:

Norman and Hayne without getting rid of more players??
    The warchest don't exist, the salary cap says so.
    Imagine the league saying "bad Eels, you overspent. But here, have a bunch of money so about the most expensive player in the NRL can play with you."

Someone just pointed out on the other thread though that he signed something to say if he came back it would only be for the eels. No idea if that is actually the case, nor do I have a clue how it could work, but it certainly throws a spanner in the works!
    Ice

Post by Ice Mon May 16, 2016 7:12 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Just like if the Broncs don't win the NRL GF right?
    Ice

Post by Ice Mon May 16, 2016 7:20 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

I completely disagree with that statement. Do you know how competitive 7s is these days? If Fiji don't win it will be a massive disappointment but it will in now way necessarily be an underachievement!!!

This season there have been 9 tournaments: Fiji have won 3, NZ 3, and Kenya, SA, and Samoa have each won 1 tournament. On top of that there are probably another 4 of 5 teams who have legitimate chances to win at Rio.

In terms of odds, my bookie has NZ as favourites, marginally ahead of Fiji (at 2:1) who are in turn only marginally more favoured than SA.

All that being said I do find the whole thing very odd. If Fiji take him I kinda agree, it will be as a token. As I said b4 7s is an extremely tough and unique game. Almost impossible for a Union player to pickup in just one tournament let alone a league player who has been playing NFL for the last year+. Not to mention the physical/fitness demands.

The Fiji coach says he hasn't guaranteed Hayne a spot, but thats what the ABs said about SBW too. Sometimes from a financial perspective it is simply a no brainer to include these types of players if the opportunity arises.

EDIT: I tell you what though, IMO, regardless of how competitive 7s is, the one country who if they don't win will see it as an absolute underachievement is NZ. The NZRU stated that Rio would be the priority this year, but their actions have not supported their statement. All Super Rugby players were allowed to play in Rio and everyone just expected our team would be stacked full of guys like Ben Smith, Barrett, Julian Savea, Keiran Read etc, but in the end only a couple Super Rugby players put their names forward and none of them were those big stars. We've won the 7s circuit pretty much every year its been running, and in every year bar one when 7s has been at the Comm Games NZ has put their best team forward and won. For some reason they have bungled Rio though and its very likely we won't win.... As with anything Rugby related in NZ, if we don't win, peoples heads will be on the block!

Hmmmm, now where have I seen a comment similar to this, about a guy never having played a sport, cracking a team inside 12 months against guys who have played it their whole life, now, let me just think Idea .....of course.......

Seriously laugh at people thinking the Fijian Rugby Association and their head coach would risk a Gold just so they could take Hayne. Seriously, give yourselves a dozen and have a bit of respect for them and their skills in this unique form of the game. These are deeply religious guys who have little care for fame glory and dollars, you seriously think they are gonna risk a Gold for Hayne.

I honestly doubt he will make the side. But if he does, it will be on merit for sure. I just can't beleive, after he proved everyone wrong with the NFL the tall poppy haters are soooo quick to have a per crack at him. Seriously, our country is a nation of whingers and haters, it's pathetic.
    Ice

Post by Ice Mon May 16, 2016 7:24 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

I've never really followed any of that stuff. So was Hayne's idea to only play a season or 2 in the NFL? Is that all he wanted to accomplish there? I just always assumed he was keen to actually try and make it in the NFL. Or did he think that he was gonna be able to achieve it in less than 2 years??

I just always assumed nothing else was on his mind other than 100% committing to the NFL and making a real go of it.

I think he said from the get go he was giving himself 2 years to make it. That he made it in 1 and is now officially accomplished the dream of starting an NFL game as a running back, he probably reassessed. In fact at the time he already played a few games and had probably started to consider options and one of those was definitly, given the likely timing of him finishing, a stint in Union.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:51 pm