NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

leaguegod

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - Page 5 Empty Re: Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Post by leaguegod Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:40 pm

Honeysett wrote:Cleary?

Cleary coached teams miss the finals as often as they make it, should have a coaching gig somewhere but nothing would convince me he is a better option then des
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:01 pm

In 2004 Des took over a team that came second last the previous season. He got them to within a couple of wins of the finals that season, and has never since missed the finals. He's coached 2 premiership winning teams and made 5 grand finals. In terms of current NRL coaches, only Bennett's record exceeds that, and it's probably ahead of even Bellamy, who has 1 premiership and 6 grand finals (4 with a big asterisk next to them) and only 1 missed finals since he took over in 2003. He'll get a job offer very quickly you'd think. If not for the start of 2017, then when a coach is dumped mid season.

On that, was any coach dumped mid season in 2016? I can't think of any, which would be the first time in a long time I'd have thought.

Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:56 pm

leaguegod wrote:i would say us making the finals the last 2 years is more because of the comp having 10-11 bad teams both years rather then us actually ever performing all that well but ultimately i am one of the few dogs fan who do think getting rid of him is an error, whoever they choose to replace him is going to be a lesser coach so i don't get the point

getting rid of cleal (who was hasler left hand man for recruitment/retention) was a good move because we have made to many blunders there for changes not to be made but Dessie is proven quality footy coach and sacking him is the wrong move

I would disagree with the bolded statement LG.

Your team has performed really well the last 2 seasons and I can only assume this sentiment that they haven't performed well, which appears to exist, is based on their form towards the end of this season??

Not sure about the blunders in recruitment either.
    Only real blunder I can think of is Hoppa and even then it is only because of the T's & C's he was able to negotiate.

Reading the comments by Mortimer, his and others issue appears to be Dessie not having a grasp on Dogs culture, hence why they are throwing the name of Dean Pay around; but to me that just seems like a really old fashioned (not to mention moronic) 'he was never one of us' type decisions.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Letting ennis go for leichaa is a massive blunder, it was a punt that 100% failed.
    Tony william's recruitment, he was fucking horrible. (Will sign with cronulla apparently).
    Letting Finucane go.
    Curtis Rona is gone now too.
    As you mentioned, letting Hoppa not play on sundays.

They are looking like they will be thin on outside backs next year - No Perrett or Rona.

He is right IMP but its more of a mixture of them being good there being a lot of terrible teams in the league over the past few years
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:43 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

I would disagree with the bolded statement LG.

Your team has performed really well the last 2 seasons and I can only assume this sentiment that they haven't performed well, which appears to exist, is based on their form towards the end of this season??

Not sure about the blunders in recruitment either.
    Only real blunder I can think of is Hoppa and even then it is only because of the T's & C's he was able to negotiate.

Reading the comments by Mortimer, his and others issue appears to be Dessie not having a grasp on Dogs culture, hence why they are throwing the name of Dean Pay around; but to me that just seems like a really old fashioned (not to mention moronic) 'he was never one of us' type decisions.

mate, just because we get results grinding out victories against teams even poorer doesn't mean we're traveling all that well

Our results V's actual quality teams the last 2 years

2016(belted in the finals):
    Beat storm in melbourne - good result
    lost to cronulla
    lost twice to canberra, one was shocker @ belmore
    lost twice to thew cowboys including one cricket score
    won 1/2 v's the broncs

2015(beat a terrible st george team before getting belted by chooks in week 2)
    lost to the cows
    lost twice to the broncos
    lost twice to the roosters
    beat the storm
    lost to cronulla

thats 3 wins out of 15 V's the top teams in those year, which just proves that we only make the finals those years because the comp below these teams is weak enough for our big pack to grind out wins.

Re recruitment.

Losing ennis for lichaa was a disaster
    losing finucane was pretty bad too, short sighted move
    letting trex rape us for 4 years, would have rathered keep frankie around too but the coin committed to williams killed that
    barba never gave us much time before the 2014 season to replace him, we've now gone through 3 seasons and 3 different stop gap solutions and still havn't had a fullback since

and whats on the table next year roster wise ?

Spine
    an average fullback who doesn't play sundays/2 pivots/no halfback/poor hooker
    outside backs: the morris brothers on the left and ressies on the right

Pack is still solid but its been clear for 24 months that it isn't enough and we still don't seem to change that

this all sounds like a anti-des rant haha and i'm saying i want us to keep him Neutral i guess i'm as frustrated as any other dog fan at the performances of the club and the downward spiral we seem to be taking but at the same time realize that a quality coach is needed to turn that around and des hasler is that.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Pieman wrote:Letting ennis go for leichaa is a massive blunder, it was a punt that 100% failed.
    Tony william's recruitment, he was fucking horrible. (Will sign with cronulla apparently).
    Letting Finucane go.
    Curtis Rona is gone now too.
    As you mentioned, letting Hoppa not play on sundays.

They are looking like they will be thin on outside backs next year - No Perrett or Rona.

He is right IMP but its more of a mixture of them being good there being a lot of terrible teams in the league over the past few years

Everything you say is correct. I will say though:

1. After 2014, most people would have said that getting an up and coming Lichaa (he looked good in his few games in 2014) for an aging Ennis was a good swap. I don't think many people saw Lichaa would forget how to run the ball or that Ennis would have career best form. I think that one surprised pretty much everyone. Probably in hindsight, Ennis didn't get enough credit for the Dogs success in 2012 and 2014 when everyone was going goo-gaa over their ball playing props.
    2. There were plenty of people saying that if anyone could get TRex to 2011 form it was Hasler, so for the right price it was a good buy. Personally I thought 2011 was the glitch, not every other season.
    3. Finucane going was a shocker, though after blowing the budget on TRex, they probably had to make a choice between someone like Jackson and Finucane. Jackson has been great for them, so it's really the TRex signing that was the problem.
    4. Rona going is probably more a result of not being able to match Union money. I don't criticise any club for losing a player in those circumstances.
    5. I think Hoppa is an excellent player, but I agree re Sundays. Like Perrett, too bad so sad. I hope they're getting a bloody big discount as a result of that clause, though suspect they're not.
    6. Add to that the BMoz signing. Why any club would pay a reasonable salary for an out and out winger is beyond me. IMO he'd never shown enough at fullback to suggest he is going to be a rep quality winger. Meanwhile their 5th and 6th best props (Tim Browne and Lloyd Perrett) would safely be top 17 players at pretty much every club in the comp.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:27 pm

I forgot about the plethora of props they have/had on their books too
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:40 pm

tim Browne is off to penny sadly

even our strength (our pack) need some players to improve next year, i think we need atleast 2 of fualolo/elliot/RFM/perret to take big steps, all have shown the potential and done well in lower grades but need a couple of them to take the next step
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:59 pm

Standard has an Issue wrote:Dafuq has this mob of "athletes" done in the last few years?  Except keep some lucky company in business producing riot gear?

BOOM!

Don't mind this
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:02 pm

Revraiser wrote:
    Standard has an Issue wrote:Dafuq has this mob of "athletes" done in the last few years?  Except keep some lucky company in business producing riot gear?

BOOM!

Don't mind this
    It was during my Mad Monday after going Back To Back To Back with the Soft Cock Award.  I was a loose cannon that day.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:58 pm

YeahYeah i thought so. Checked the date and laughed

Clap
    code delta
    code delta

Post by code delta Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:17 pm

Club legend and board member x2 say's there's a DNA problem because of the coach.
    What's DNA got to do with it and good luck coach.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:31 pm

leaguegod wrote:tim Browne is off to penny sadly

even our strength (our pack) need some players to improve next year, i think we need atleast 2 of fualolo/elliot/RFM/perret to take big steps, all have shown the potential and done well in lower grades but need a couple of them to take the next step
    I think you're in good hands there with those 4, but yeah, Browne is a loss-silent achiever.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:34 pm

Mick Potter

Laugh 3 Rolling Laugh Laugh 3
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:15 pm

So Bulldogs are $100-$160K over the cap next season. Self reported likely not to lose points just fined the amount they are over.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:48 pm

No Worries wrote:So Bulldogs are $100-$160K over the cap next season. Self reported likely not to lose points just fined the amount they are over.

Rigged draw, over the cap, no excuses next year.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:15 am

Unhappy players and a coach on the outer.
    It can only end in Mick Potter coaching them to a bottom 8 finish
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:01 pm

I heard something on the radio saying the club says they won't be able to get under the cap. If that's true how is that possible. Yes sure all players might be contracted, but the season is still 3 months from starting. Surely they have to encourage someone whose salary is high enough to negotiate with for a release, then replace him with a player that is cheaper by the required amount.Surely there's around 18+ players getting paid at least the required amount over the minimum wage. At least one of them would have to be willing to look around. If the club has to still pay some of their contract for another club to pick them up (eg paying a $400K player $200K with another club picking them up for the difference, then signing a minumum wage player would still save them $100K). They might not like what has to happen, but too bad. They're the ones who went over the cap so they should do anything necessary to get back under it. If that means they have to lose say James Graham or one of the Morris boys, then so be it.

Guys play for one club one week and then another the next week. How is it impossible that this can't be done in the best part of 3 months?
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:09 pm

Agreed, how hard could it be? If the blokes all truly believed in their club maybe all of them could hand back 5 or 10k each? There has to be something stopping them in the rules you would think.

Hopoate could forego his salary for the 5 or 6 games he won't play. No-one could ask him to do it I guess, but even if he gave back half or whatever.
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:34 pm

flasSId* wrote:Agreed, how hard could it be?  If the blokes all truly believed in their club maybe all of them could hand back 5 or 10k each?  There has to be something stopping them in the rules you would think.

Hopoate could forego his salary for the 5 or 6 games he won't play.  No-one could ask him to do it I guess, but even if he gave back half or whatever.

They specifically banned doing that after the 2002 Dogs kept together for a "lower contract", and won the premiership in 2004.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:28 am