NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Grand Final Thread: Brisbane Broncos vs North Queensland Cowboys, in Sydney?

Milchcow
    Milchcow

Grand Final Thread: Brisbane Broncos vs North Queensland Cowboys, in Sydney? - Page 6 Empty Re: Grand Final Thread: Brisbane Broncos vs North Queensland Cowboys, in Sydney?

Post by Milchcow Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:07 pm

Broncos stopped trying to score after about 50 minutes.

Shut up shop far too early and deserved to be punished for it. Still harsh to go out in golden point like that. I hope they bring back 10 minutes each way instead.

How do people think it rates on the all time scale.
    1989 and 2003 were better games for mine. Although this year and 1997 had the absolutely killer finishes the other 2 were better all round games.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Grand Final Thread: Brisbane Broncos vs North Queensland Cowboys, in Sydney? - Page 6 Empty Re: Grand Final Thread: Brisbane Broncos vs North Queensland Cowboys, in Sydney?

Post by No Worries Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:50 pm

1989 - with the 10 min each way not golden point. Golden point should be after 10 min each way
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:50 pm

Milchcow wrote:
    Broncos stopped trying to score after about 50 minutes.

Shut up shop far too early and deserved to be punished for it.  Still harsh to go out in golden point like that. I hope they bring back 10 minutes each way instead.

How do people think it rates on the all time scale.
    1989 and 2003 were better games for mine. Although this year and 1997 had the absolutely killer finishes the other 2 were better all round games.

Yep, up there with 89 and 03. Tremendous game. Happy with Golden Point personally but I understand why some are not.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:14 pm

I've never had a problem with Golden Point, until we lost a GF in one...

Still, that's part of the game and I don't mind the "perform under pressure" situation. I actually enjoy penalty shoot outs in Soccer as well. For the deflated feeling you get losing in one, there is also the jubilation of winning in one. When Lockyer kicked the winner in his last NRL match it was probably the most "in the moment" I've ever been as a supporter.
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:02 pm

Your Name wrote:1989 - with the 10 min each way not golden point. Golden point should be after 10 min each way

I would prefer that way, especially in playoff games. Even just 10 mins then golden point and you reward the team with the best record by letting them choose what end to defend and choice of kick off/receive.

With so many ref issues there are in regards to calling penalties and knock on/strips, as well as the 7 tackle set which some people (myself included) have issue with, there needs to be a way of leveling up a playoff match so it isn't over in one set. As a team to have reached the playoffs, they should be rewarded with having more than just one chance in overtime, and there are often times where it is simply the team that makes the first mistake (whether accurate, or ref induced) will lose because the field position is such an advantage.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:47 pm

Beast From The Big East wrote:

I would prefer that way, especially in playoff games. Even just 10 mins then golden point and you reward the team with the best record by letting them choose what end to defend and choice of kick off/receive.

With so many ref issues there are in regards to calling penalties and knock on/strips, as well as the 7 tackle set which some people (myself included) have issue with, there needs to be a way of leveling up a playoff match so it isn't over in one set. As a team to have reached the playoffs, they should be rewarded with having more than just one chance in overtime, and there are often times where it is simply the team that makes the first mistake (whether accurate, or ref induced) will lose because the field position is such an advantage.

That's football though. Who's the best on the night, if you knock the ball on you weren't good enough in that moment.

It happens. I wish we would stop overcomplicating things. Could you imagine if we had a draw? Horrible. JT's moment to kick the grand final victory from the sideline would have hit the post and that would have been the last moment. Completely deflating instead of sheer entertainment. Golden point is exciting.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:40 pm

"Winning" a wooden spoon must be deflating.
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:37 pm

Honeysett wrote:

That's football though. Who's the best on the night, if you knock the ball on you weren't good enough in that moment.

It happens. I wish we would stop overcomplicating things. Could you imagine if we had a draw? Horrible. JT's moment to kick the grand final victory from the sideline would have hit the post and that would have been the last moment. Completely deflating instead of sheer entertainment. Golden point is exciting.

I'm fine with the whole drama aspect for regular season but I think in playoffs with so much riding on the outcome it would be good if you could at least allow the other team a chance, effectively a right of reply. This isn't on the back of Hunt's drop which was unfortunate, just that with the current state of the game and questionable reffing decisions a game could be decided very poorly because of one which would be disappointing.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:39 pm

Broncos should have won even before Hunt dropped the kickoff. Simple.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:57 am

Bren wrote:"Winning" a wooden spoon must be deflating.

It is what it is, 9th or 16th all the same to me.

I'm being nice and not rubbing the loss in like you did for Origin.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:43 am

Honeysett wrote:

Origin is different. Plus NSW fans should be used to losing by now.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:38 am

Bren wrote:

Origin is different. Plus NSW fans should be used to losing by now.
    Nsw has won more recently then Brisbane
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:44 am

Honeysett wrote:

I think you are bullshitting Honeysett

9th to 15th is no difference - but no player or fan wants to finish with the spoon.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:55 am

Beast From The Big East wrote:

I'm fine with the whole drama aspect for regular season but I think in playoffs with so much riding on the outcome it would be good if you could at least allow the other team a chance, effectively a right of reply. This isn't on the back of Hunt's drop which was unfortunate, just that with the current state of the game and questionable reffing decisions a game could be decided very poorly because of one which would be disappointing.

Completely agree.

And like Dip said earlier, I was previously fine with golden point........until now.

I think golden try should be the way forward and also (just like in a touch footy drop off) I think the other team should get a possession if a try is scored before they have had a crack - just so a game can't be won or lost on the toss of a coin (bearing in mind this wouldn't have mattered in this GF because of Hunt's dropped ball).

Post by Guest Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:57 am

Krump wrote:
    Nsw has won more recently then Brisbane

Not true. Broncos won a game a couple of weeks ago.

ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:23 am

Ive always thought golden point is shit - not that I agree with Wayne about a replay being a good result. Turns the game into a coin toss and its rubbish that a team might not even get a possession in extra time to have a go at winning. Other sports have realised that not getting possession is a stupid way to play golden point. NFL both teams get at least 1 possession. Touch football both teams get the same number of possessions. Rugby is an extra 10min of play. Soccer an extra 30.

I think the best way is 10 more minutes of play. Keep adding 10min OTs until theres a winner at the end. 2 interchanges for every 20min. It means we are still playing rugby and not some field goal kicking contest.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:45 pm

ryno_ wrote:Ive always thought golden point is shit - not that I agree with Wayne about a replay being a good result. Turns the game into a coin toss and its rubbish that a team might not even get a possession in extra time to have a go at winning. Other sports have realised that not getting possession is a stupid way to play golden point. NFL both teams get at least 1 possession. Touch football both teams get the same number of possessions. Rugby is an extra 10min of play. Soccer an extra 30.

I think the best way is 10 more minutes of play. Keep adding 10min OTs until theres a winner at the end. 2 interchanges for every 20min. It means we are still playing rugby and not some field goal kicking contest.

Yeah I think this would be the fairest means for a decider.

Combined with this, I think we might have to go back to having a draw during regular season games - although I'm a little torn as golden point during these games is pretty exciting when the stakes aren't as high.
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:13 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Yeah I think this would be the fairest means for a decider.

Combined with this, I think we might have to go back to having a draw during regular season games - although I'm a little torn as golden point during these games is pretty exciting when the stakes aren't as high.

I'm fine with the golden point for regular season purely on the basis of often enough luck/karma tends to swing back round with enough games in the season. But for playoff fixtures it should be a set time.

College american football have a great system. One team gets the ball 25 out from the endzone and has to try and get points, and after their turn in possession the other team goes. If the first team can only get a field goal and the 2nd team gets a touchdown then 2nd team wins. If they both get the same result you go again. Fair chance for all with both sides getting a crack at it and the only advantage the team winning the coin toss gets is first chance at choosing one of the variables- end to defend, or offense vs defense.

And as for golden point vs try it doesn't matter if you make it a set time limit. Sometimes going for the field goal in your first set could be the way to go. Gets you points on the board and you can back your defense. Mind games and game management from the halves will ramp up and will make it so much more intriguing
    Disruptive Trolling
    Banned

Post by Disruptive Trolling Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:45 pm

It's not fair on teams to get 0 competition points for losing in Golden Point while Tigers and Newcastle get pumped by 50.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:14 pm

Big Diesel wrote:It's not fair on teams to get 0 competition points for losing in Golden Point while Tigers and Newcastle get pumped by 50.
    A loss is a loss though, where do you draw the line. What if the field goal is 1 second before the siren? Personally I don't like the fact teams can lose in GP without even getting a chance to touch the ball

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 8:14 am