NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4

2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4 - Page 39 Empty Re: 2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:14 pm

CubanMafiaSandSlugs wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Such disrespect. There's no way Cronk is immortal quality. Good solid player

The next immortals will be Lockyer, Thurston, Slater & Smith.

Inglis is a flat out dead-set no. If he had of kept on the pathway of his trajectory from 18-23, he'd be in the conversation, but he's been busted for 3-5 years now and not even half the player he was. Meninga is miles ahead.

Immortal talk is often met with resistance due to the cases being put forward, (so few for so many years then a massive influx). The thing is though, these Queenslanders have achieved things nobody else has in history! Slater, completely revolutionising the fullback position. Thurston, the big game clutch king and absolute competitor. Smith, a zillion games in the toughest position in league and leading from the front while doing so. I genuinely understand the sentiment towards Inglis... however the stats would say he’s up there also. There’s no bigger stage than origin and that’s a fact, Inglis created and scored more tries than anyone in the history of origin.... crazy to think that a centre has more try assists (or tries created) than Joey, Locky, Thurston, Cronk.... He also led Souths to their first premiership in donkeys years. I’d understand if they didn’t award him with it due to the sentiment behind naming so many but I don’t think people could complain if he was given it also.

Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4 - Page 39 Empty Re: 2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4

Post by Chewie Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:16 pm

Boozecluez wrote:Wondering if I crank the 'trials and tribulations' back up again this year?
    Do people enjoy it, find it helpful, annoying, useful or enjoy the read?

Miss the old graphs from a couple years back and not sure more what I can add or improve in it or what I want it to be?
    It usually becomes just a rebuild thread haha, usually start really bad each year

So just putting the feelers out to see if worth doing again, I know all the cool kids use youtube and podcasts so is this still a good medium?
    Just wondering how to best direct my energy this year haha

Not going to play Supercoach this year so will focus my attention 100% to this and on a personal level things are in a good place.
    Have enjoyed the offseason but now things start to ramp up, so let me know what people want or how i can help

Booze

I was a regular subscriber of the "trials and tribulations".

You have my vote to keep it going
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:18 pm

Baloo wrote:hello everyone,

J.Turbo out for Arrow and  bit of extra cash is it a good move ?
    what do you guys think of Sorenson? Twal?
    And FRF Surgess or Ofa?
    Cheers

The assumption here is that Arrow's 2nd half of 2018 was affected by injury, and that the first half of 2018 represents his scoring potential.
    If this turns out correct he is a better prospect than JTrbo.

Sorenson and Twal depends on where they end up playing.
    Sorenson may not be a starter (Capewell and Nikora seem to be main competition for places, plus Graham will come back at some point)
    Twal needs to be lock to be a good fantasy prospect (personally I think its wishful thinking on behalf of fantasy players, but we'll see what happens next month)

Surgess I am torn on. If it was 2014, I'd grab him in a heartbeat, but he is not the same player now. Worthy of consideration, but not sure how much he warrants selection.

mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:25 pm

Here are the <$250k players that there are whispers are likely going to be starting 17 for their respective teams. There are a lot of them and likely still more to come.

Likely to start if they get a spot:
    Ravalawa
    Nikora
    Garrick
    Keighran/CHT (maybe both if Green is still injured)
    Lomax
    Hopoate (apparently can't play until he turns 18 around round 9)
    Allan
    Brown
    Salmon (maybe at Center)
    Gray
    Abbey (didnt realise he was $228k)
    French (man he played crap in many 80 minute games last season)
    Burr

Likely to be on the bench if named:
    Haas
    Baptiste
    Sele
    Dillon
    Blayke Brailey
    Vete
    Paseka
    Ellis

Any that you think could be great value POD sleepers?

Are there any that we think could be traps?

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:42 pm

mattnz wrote:Here are the <$250k players that there are whispers are likely going to be starting 17 for their respective teams. There are a lot of them and likely still more to come.

Likely to start if they get a spot:
    Ravalawa
    Nikora
    Garrick
    Keighran/CHT (maybe both if Green is still injured)
    Lomax
    Hopoate (apparently can't play until he turns 18 around round 9)
    Allan
    Brown
    Salmon (maybe at Center)
    Gray
    Abbey (didnt realise he was $228k)
    French (man he played crap in many 80 minute games last season)
    Burr

Likely to be on the bench if named:
    Haas
    Baptiste
    Sele
    Dillon
    Blayke Brailey
    Vete
    Paseka
    Ellis

Any that you think could be great value POD sleepers?

Are there any that we think could be traps?

I think a lot of those names will remain whispers, onto your question though about any of them being traps... Hard to define a trap because it depends a lot on your personal expectations of that player and game plan to use them. Funnily enough I think Lomax is the biggest trap, reason being is that his ownership seems to dictate a higher expectation than the others put forward but according to all reports he’s set to play wing alongside Aitken.... that’s right the guy who should have been playing for NSW but didn’t make it because he actually doesn’t know how to pass a ball properly. Will that stop any of us from picking him? No. However I don’t think he will be able to reach any great heights as long as he doesn’t get the footy.
    Ponga for prez
    Ponga for prez

Post by Ponga for prez Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:46 pm

Is captaining arrow a good idea? I know the general consensus is that he'll be going ham this year but is it a better and safer bet to captain macca? Who is more likely to keep getting above 110 if I give them the c?

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Ponga for prez wrote:Is captaining arrow a good idea? I know the general consensus is that he'll be going ham this year but is it a better and safer bet to captain macca? Who is more likely to keep getting above 110 if I give them the c?

I think when you have those two players it’s more a matter of the team they’re playing in order to decide your captain. Both are equally capable of big scores so the opponent they’re playing would lead to a better choice.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:54 pm

Ponga for prez wrote:Is captaining arrow a good idea? I know the general consensus is that he'll be going ham this year but is it a better and safer bet to captain macca? Who is more likely to keep getting above 110 if I give them the c?

I would be going with a fit and healthy Arrow of those 2 options.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:55 pm

KalkadoonWarrior wrote:

I think when you have those two players it’s more a matter of the team they’re playing in order to decide your captain. Both are equally capable of big scores so the opponent they’re playing would lead to a better choice.

I think middle players do well when the score is close. So opposition may be important but not for the reason some people suggest. It's hard to predict which games will be close. In short I don't think the difference between Arrow and Macca would rely greatly on opposition.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:01 pm

Be aware with Roosters trial squad that Hall won't be playing, he's just going to England to do publicity. Recovering faster than expected but not ready for Round 1.
    CubanMafiaSandSlugs
    CubanMafiaSandSlugs

Post by CubanMafiaSandSlugs Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:07 pm

FYI - Barry Toohey is the most in the know journo for the Newcastle Knights.

@BarryToohey
    10h10 hours ago
    Moga won’t play opening round and reckon Glasby will be the starting lock.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:11 pm

CubanMafiaSandSlugs wrote:FYI - Barry Toohey is the most in the know journo for the Newcastle Knights.

@BarryToohey
    10h10 hours ago

That’s really interesting... poses more questions than answers though lol. If he’s 13 where does Guerra go? If Guerra goes 12 where does Matautia go? Perhaps Matautia plays centre until Moga gets back? That’s the only thing that makes sense to me.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:12 pm

CubanMafiaSandSlugs wrote:FYI - Barry Toohey is the most in the know journo for the Newcastle Knights.

@BarryToohey
    10h10 hours ago

Yea Moga out for first few rounds, Great cash out option if/when he grabs a starting spot

Glasby lock with Ese and Klemmer, many thought Easy was going to bench, found that odd with how good he was last year, although I can see the plus of having the steady workhorses Glasby and Klemmer props then injecting the more dominant Ese.

Looks like all 3 will be starting the season, with Barnett on the bench
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:14 pm

KalkadoonWarrior wrote:

That’s really interesting... poses more questions than answers though lol. If he’s 13 where does Guerra go? If Guerra goes 12 where does Matautia go? Perhaps Matautia plays centre until Moga gets back? That’s the only thing that makes sense to me.

8. Ese
    9. Levi/Mann/Buhrer
    10. Klemmer
    11. Fitz
    12. Guerra
    13. Glasby

Mata CTR or bench
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:14 pm

Just saw this posted in Renegades FB group and thought it was an interesting read....

"For those that don't mind reading and love their stats, I thought I'd put up some articles on players. Let me know if you want more, or even suggestions for future players:

Player Of Interest - Jazz Tevaga

Apart from the cool name, I really like the way this guy played last year. One thing that annoyed me about 2018, was that I never owned him. Every time I wanted to pick him up, I talked myself out of it, with comments like, "surely he can't keep these scores up, off the bench?" Well, the bugger did, all the way to a healthy season avg of 46.3, at an avg of 55 mins, at 0.84 PPM and peaked at $731k, more than double his $360k starting price.

2018 was a tale of 2 halves though. His first 8 games he scored at an avg of 36.9, ran for an avg of 66 mtrs, and played an avg of 52.8 mins. However, he definitely stepped up his work rate over his remaining 11 games. From round 12 onwards, he scored at an avg of 53.1, ran for an avg of 95 mtrs and played an avg of 57.5 mins. Tellingly, he only had 9 tackle breaks in those first 8 games, but had 27 over the next 11. His improvement can't simply be put down to playing the crap teams, as 8 of those last 11 games were against teams in the top 8. He also had very few of the larger attacking stats for the year (1 T, 1 TS, 1 TA, 1 LB & 1 LBA) so a large chunk of his points are base stats.

In what appears to be one of 2019's anomalies, he's priced at a 43.9 avg, compared to his 2018 avg of 46.3. Whilst he doesn't start cheap, at $656k, if he can maintain his scoring from the last 11 games of 2018 and get close to that avg of 57, he's definitely unders and could be the right stepping stone for guys that are taking the punt on not starting with Cook. He could even end up as a cut-priced keeper due to his DDP of HKR/2RF. When comparing to other players around an avg of 55, you'd have to spend $825k. So there is value in starting with him.

Jazz is very much the forgotten man in the make-up of the Warriors 17. There's been almost no talk about him, whilst there is no way he doesn't start somewhere in the 17. In fact, with Luke still in rehab, or only just back starting contact work at training, and the back-up hooker Roache also on the injured/rehab list, there's every chance that Jazz starts in the 9 position. He did this once last year, and has shown he can play big mins when needed, by playing for 72 mins.

I bring him up also, as something for potential Isaiah Papali'i owners to think about. With Ipap being talked up to grab big mins at Lock, I'd be worried, as that is where Jazz spent a lot of his time. Blair (the spud) is still there, and could also spend time at Lock. It all depends on how long Luke takes to get back to full match fitness and if/when Jazz goes back to the bench, but there is definite uncertainty on Ipap getting massive mins at Lock. On an edge, he's likely to play 80, but I'm not convinced he will at Lock. Barring injury, Jazz won't be going anywhere, and deservedly so. For mine, he was the unsung hero for the Warriors last year."
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:14 pm

Any stats on glasby starting lock? Think he did a few times at the storm, especially before we picked up finucane
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:14 pm

Lachlan Burr if starting is going to disappoint IMO but I will probably take him due to price. We have seen this before with Burr. Not only does he have David Bhana-esc tackling ability (great instincts to get in the right position but not enough strength to win a single ruck) the coach is also likely to dump him for a better option a few weeks in. 2015 he averaged 29 points from 46 minutes and it was a very slow burn. 28 and 23 first two rounds(with 9 missed tackles!) before being exiled to ressies till round 5 where he got a fantastic bench role. Average of 20 points in 25 minutes for the next 3 weeks before finally getting a starting spot at lock. 8 games as a starting lock saw the Titans win just 2/8 games with an average of 1 missed tackle for every 7 completed. This fringe first grader is absolutely atrocious to watch as a fantasy coach with more 20's than 50's as a starter
    CubanMafiaSandSlugs
    CubanMafiaSandSlugs

Post by CubanMafiaSandSlugs Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:16 pm

KalkadoonWarrior wrote:

Guerra will be second row.

I've been reading into alot of the Knights training intel, and this is the likely team at this stage:

1 Watson
    2 SKD (right)
    3 Ramien (right)
    4 Hunt (left) until Moga returns
    5 Lee (left)
    6 Ponga
    7 Pearce
    8 Klemmer
    9 Levi
    10 Gavet
    11 Fitzgibbon
    12 Guerra
    13 Glasby

14 Ese Ese
    15 Dan Saifiti
    16 Sione
    17 Mann

Barnett, Buhrer, Lino, Griffin, Ross in reserve.
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:18 pm

Excited to see how Ponga goes in the halves next weekend. Will give a nice little look at how he might stack up.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:20 pm

Welshy wrote:

Yea Moga out for first few rounds, Great cash out option if/when he grabs a starting spot

Glasby lock with Ese and Klemmer, many thought Easy was going to bench, found that odd with how good he was last year, although I can see the plus of having the steady workhorses Glasby and Klemmer props then injecting the more dominant Ese.

Looks like all 3 will be starting the season, with Barnett on the bench

I'm expecting Klemmer and Gavet starting with Herman on the bench. Barnett will be playing NSW cup. Sione somewhere in the 17 but likely on the bench. Guerra and Fitzmagic on the edge

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:14 am