NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread - Page 30 Empty Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:26 am

leaguegod wrote:the only thing i hate about the roberts case is it makes you think how much the nrl folded to media pressure by giving pearce 8 weeks

if what pearce did was worth 8 weeks, we would have had a dozen other suspension this year, if not more, the media went for the kill and the reactive nrl folded, when the media hasn't cared, the nrl has correctly left is completely to the discretion of the clubs (who are the employer)

its not even like we can argue its because o0f pearce's history because a guy like roberts has some runs on the board

The problem with applying precedence is that the Pearce 8 week ban was a fuck up by the NRL in the first place.

It's the same thing as the Tyson Friz suspension.
    The NRL made a mistake and it continues to be brought up as a precedent and thus keeps biting them on the arse.
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread - Page 30 Empty Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

Post by Shanbon Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:21 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Genuine question Shanbon.
    What would standing him down for two weeks achieve......other than making Parra fans feel better about Norman's punishment?

Shows him and every other young player that there are consequences to playing up on a night out. Like mentioned before players rarely pay the fines themselves, its not a deterrent at all. He would still be training the same and then going to the game just not playing so your idea that them being stood down means more free time to play up doesn't make sense. If he was a fringe 1st grader would he still just have been fined? There is no consistency for off field incidents and the NRL need to do something about it.

There should also increased punishments for repeat offenders and no salary cap concession for clubs if/when players cop long suspension. IF a player gets a third strike it should be 12months and for that time he stays on the clubs salary cap. If they pick up a 2 strike player they know the risks.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:41 am

Sponsors TPA's etc. don't pay fines. That's crap. I would challenge anyone saying that to provide proof. It's split over a fin year and removed from a players wage in monthly installments and donated to a charity usually of the players choice (or the club has a handful pre assigned). The player then claims this donation to a charity as a tax deduction.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:57 am

Shanbon wrote:

Shows him and every other young player that there are consequences to playing up on a night out. Like mentioned before players rarely pay the fines themselves, its not a deterrent at all. He would still be training the same and then going to the game just not playing so your idea that them being stood down means more free time to play up doesn't make sense. If he was a fringe 1st grader would he still just have been fined? There is no consistency for off field incidents and the NRL need to do something about it.

There should also increased punishments for repeat offenders and no salary cap concession for clubs if/when players cop long suspension. IF a player gets a third strike it should be 12months and for that time he stays on the clubs salary cap. If they pick up a 2 strike player they know the risks.

Yep that will really teach them a lesson about playing up on a night out....

I don't really care for fines either.
    What the Broncos have done well is implement a development plan that involves community service hours - which IMO is far better than fines or missing a game of footy (which would probably just exacerbate whatever issues he obviously has - and was my earlier point i.e. nothing to do with your interpretation about more free time).

Sitting players out has little impact on teaching these blokes about consequences, as I said all it does is make the average simpleton out there feel a bit better about some form of action being taken

The same can be said for Pearce earlier this year and also Norman.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:59 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

The problem with applying precedence is that the Pearce 8 week ban was a fuck up by the NRL in the first place.

It's the same thing as the Tyson Friz suspension.
    The NRL made a mistake and it continues to be brought up as a precedent and thus keeps biting them on the arse.

yeah i guess i was more saying "the pearce suspensions looks more ridiculous by the week" rather then "roberts should be suspended because pearce was"
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:13 pm

So basically no player should be stood down because they'll go out and do it again? If they do it again you say goodbye to them. Fuck me it's not hard to not be a piece of shit, you want to play NRL you need to make sacrifices. If one of those sacrifices is not getting skinned to the point they cut you off and choke you out then I don't think that's too much to ask, especially from a player that should be on his last chance.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:45 pm

Honeysett wrote:So basically no player should be stood down because they'll go out and do it again? If they do it again you say goodbye to them. Fuck me it's not hard to not be a piece of shit, you want to play NRL you need to make sacrifices. If one of those sacrifices is not getting skinned to the point they cut you off and choke you out then I don't think that's too much to ask, especially from a player that should be on his last chance.
    *Oprah voice*

YES! Yes yes yes yes yeeeeeeeeees!.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:07 pm

Honeysett wrote:So basically no player should be stood down because they'll go out and do it again? If they do it again you say goodbye to them. Fuck me it's not hard to not be a piece of shit, you want to play NRL you need to make sacrifices. If one of those sacrifices is not getting skinned to the point they cut you off and choke you out then I don't think that's too much to ask, especially from a player that should be on his last chance.

Never said that at all.

All I've suggested is that a little thought is put into the repercussions as opposed to the usual approach of 'yep I've stood old mate down for 6 games - problem solved' method or worse still the goodbye, you're sacked approach (which only ever really see's a good player given a fresh start elsewhere).
    It's thoughtless knee-jerk reactions I have an issue with.

It's not hard for the most people and probably a higher proportion of NRL players to not be a 'piece of shit'....but guess what, some still have issues and thus probably fall into your holier than thou 'piece of shit' category (despite the irony of probably falling into the same category yourself).
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:26 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Genuine question Shanbon.
    What would standing him down for two weeks achieve......other than making Parra fans feel better about Norman's punishment?

It shows that The NRL and Bronco's wont stand for one of their representatives abusing people/acting like a complete fuckwit and getting away with it. The issue is not only that he got on the piss. Its what he did when he was on the piss. It also appeases the many many sponsors that the Bronco's and NRL have, seeings that they are on free to air every weekend, because like it or not - they have to keep their sponsors happy.

He should have been:
    1. Stood down for a few games to show that as an indigenous role model and athlete you cant act like a fuck head and get away with it
    2. Stood down for a few games to show that as an athlete and role model you cant act like a fuckwit and get away with it.
    3. Have counselling sessions/etc to work out why the cunt has to get a gutful mid weed and carry on like a fuckwit
    4. Be fined for dragging the Bronco's name and NRL through the mud
    5. Do community work (which they fucking have to do anyway)

Im not saying, stand him down instead of the other shit. He should be stood down on top of the other shit, and still have to train, go to games etc etc so its not like he is sitting home turning one on alone
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Pearce was harshly penalised, but that doesn't mean Roberts should be too. The crime has to fit the punishment, and here he allegedly abused bar staff and was kicked out. No arrest. Has been arrested in 2014 for not following a move on order, but his other times when he has been fired for alcohol related contract breeches there is no suggestion that he did anything wrong other than actually be on the piss. Was the integrity unit even notified about those instances?

Personally I think he's actually copped a fairly harsh penalty. $20k for something that didn't involve police investigation or arrest???? As No worries says, guaranteed he pays the fine. I've heard people say 4 matches for Brett Stewart after he was charged with sexual assault was harsh because he wasn't found guilty. Taufua was found guilty of spitting on a police officer and only got 2 weeks. We all talk about about not wanting to see players suspended for minor things (Frizell anyone), and here people are calling for a guy to miss a few games with an NRL suspension for getting kicked out of a pub. Please.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:00 pm

Maranta going to the Reds. Thank fuck for that!
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:25 am

Bren wrote:Maranta going to the Reds. Thank fuck for that!

Thanks Bren!

2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread - Page 30 Someda10
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:04 pm

OZ i hope you dont think the guys saying players should be stood down are sayi g thats the only thing that is done? As with all these issues the club still needs to work with the player on rehabilitation and education, we are all saying it should be done in conjunction with missing games.
    Lebbo73

Post by Lebbo73 Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:21 pm

Pieman wrote:

It shows that The NRL and Bronco's wont stand for one of their representatives abusing people/acting like a complete fuckwit and getting away with it. The issue is not only that he got on the piss. Its what he did when he was on the piss. It also appeases the many many sponsors that the Bronco's and NRL have, seeings that they are on free to air every weekend, because like it or not - they have to keep their sponsors happy.

He should have been:
    1. Stood down for a few games to show that as an indigenous role model and athlete you cant act like a fuck head and get away with it
    2. Stood down for a few games to show that as an athlete and role model you cant act like a fuckwit and get away with it.
    3. Have counselling sessions/etc to work out why the cunt has to get a gutful mid weed and carry on like a fuckwit
    4. Be fined for dragging the Bronco's name and NRL through the mud
    5. Do community work (which they fucking have to do anyway)

Im not saying, stand him down instead of the other shit. He should be stood down on top of the other shit, and still have to train, go to games etc etc so its not like he is sitting home turning one on alone
    What role model? He is a rugby league player ffs.
    Now, he was fined heavily for going out on the piss and past indiscretions added to the severity of the fine. As for the other allegations, they are unsubstantiated or he would of been charged by police. Beer
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:06 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Never said that at all.

All I've suggested is that a little thought is put into the repercussions as opposed to the usual approach of 'yep I've stood old mate down for 6 games - problem solved' method or worse still the goodbye, you're sacked approach (which only ever really see's a good player given a fresh start elsewhere).
    It's thoughtless knee-jerk reactions I have an issue with.

It's not hard for the most people and probably a higher proportion of NRL players to not be a 'piece of shit'....but guess what, some still have issues and thus probably fall into your holier than thou 'piece of shit' category (despite the irony of probably falling into the same category yourself).

It's not a "holier than thou" attitude, it's sick of seeing double standards and fuckwits ruining the sport. I can tell you now it's not hard to not go out drinking and being a twat.
    code delta
    code delta

Post by code delta Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:17 pm

Honeysett wrote: I can tell you now it's not hard to not go out drinking and being a twat.
    But you'll do it just because you can. Laughing
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:48 am

Honeysett wrote:

It's not a "holier than thou" attitude, it's sick of seeing double standards and fuckwits ruining the sport. I can tell you now it's not hard to not go out drinking and being a twat.

Totally agree - 99% of players can do it, its just the 1% of players - the Todd Carney's, Corey Norman's, Jame Roberts' and co who bring the entire code down and cause headlines, just because they made fucking stupid decisions when drinking. These are the same blokes, who if they werent playing footy, would be at the local pub every friday and saturday night in fights and carrying on.

Why should these blokes be allowed to bring the name of the code down and then be rewarded by signing contracts worth absolute fortunes? These fuckwits have no idea how hard it is to actually earn 100k a year, let alone how near impossible it is for most people to earn 700k a year. All they are doing is fucking playing footy! They are so fucking dumb they will do anything they want and not think of the consequences and amazing opportunities they have - purely because they train hard and are good at footy. Honestly, to earn 100k plus - you either have to go work like a slave at the mines, be in the top few% of a trade or go to uni for 4-10 years study fucking hard and then work your way up from the bottom to get a good job - which comes with pressure and deadlines etc etc.

It pisses me off when people like Nate Myles go on TV and say "if he was a plumber it wouldnt be an issue" - he is exactly right. But he isnt a plumber, he is a bloke who is on TV every week, who lives in the public eye, who earns a fucking fortune, who is supposed to be a role model for kids and who is representing a club that the NRL wants us to pour our money into and invest in, as well as representing sponsors. (By he I mean who ever the fuckwit is that did something stupid any particular weekend).
    If the plumber was also hosting a tv show and was a public presence, I guarantee that they would be dragged over hot coals like footy players.

I dont care for blokes who turn into fuckwits when they get pissed - whether they are footy players or not - those kind of guys just shouldnt drink.

I dont want players to get sacked if they do something small and silly on the piss for example like what Roberts did. But he is also a repeat offender who has been sacked from 2 clubs because of grog related issues, so he doesnt fucking learn. He needs help and needs to learn that alcohol doesnt agree with him - and if he keeps doing this shit he will lose his ridiculously high paying high profile job... AGAIN.
    Fining a bloke $20k who prob earns something like 350/400k - is nothing. It prob comes off his taxable income anyway or as someone mentioned before is split over financial years and donated to charity and he gets 30% of it back through his tax return anyway (or whatever the %).
    Not to mention players not paying for meals or claiming the food and supplements on tax, Free rent, financial advice, sport scientists, physio, doctors, psychologists, FREE UNI, free gear, car and so on.

It just pisses me off that these fuckheads take all this shit for granted by fucking up on the piss and then blokes on here have the hide to say "oh he didnt even do anything wrong" or "your holier than thou" attitude.

Gone a bit off track, and had a fair rant, but ah well. lol

Ice

Post by Ice Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Ice wrote: Big win over a top class Eels side chock full of stars! Thanks us when you win the GF for playing Milford and Hunt back into form. You're welcome. I still see no reason why you guys won't win it.

Still stand by this. Even when they were really struggling, anyone who kows anything about League could tell it was just a couple of wins away from really warming into the back half of their season well. Sharks went too early, Raiders will go out backwards and Brisbane have timed there run near perfectly. Won't make the top four because of results but will get a nice easy run through the finals, crushing either the Raiders or Sharks in week 2 (Those two sids are absolute pretenders and have been all year) and nail Melbourne in the GF circa 2006.

Is true because Ice says its true.
    Lebbo73

Post by Lebbo73 Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:10 pm

Ice wrote:

Still stand by this.  Even when they were really struggling, anyone who kows anything about League could tell it was just a couple of wins away from really warming into the back half of their season well.  Sharks went too early, Raiders will go out backwards and Brisbane have timed there run near perfectly.  Won't make the top four because of results but will get a nice easy run through the finals, crushing either the Raiders or Sharks in week 2 (Those two sids are absolute pretenders and have been all year) and nail Melbourne in the GF circa 2006.

You are a good bloke, Ice. Cheers
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:20 am

Ice wrote:

Still stand by this.  Even when they were really struggling, anyone who kows anything about League could tell it was just a couple of wins away from really warming into the back half of their season well.  Sharks went too early, Raiders will go out backwards and Brisbane have timed there run near perfectly.  Won't make the top four because of results but will get a nice easy run through the finals, crushing either the Raiders or Sharks in week 2 (Those two sids are absolute pretenders and have been all year) and nail Melbourne in the GF circa 2006.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:17 am