NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRLFF 2006 Fantasy thread - part 2 Let's get ready to rumble

Welshy
    Welshy

NRLFF 2006 Fantasy thread - part 2 Let's get ready to rumble - Page 9 Empty Re: NRLFF 2006 Fantasy thread - part 2 Let's get ready to rumble

Post by Welshy Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:03 pm

mattnz wrote:

Cronk played 11 of his 20 games in the 2005 season off the bench (and still hasnt made my side)
    Didn’t even realise he played that much off the interchange, only makes me cement him in now
    Welshy
    Welshy

NRLFF 2006 Fantasy thread - part 2 Let's get ready to rumble - Page 9 Empty Re: NRLFF 2006 Fantasy thread - part 2 Let's get ready to rumble

Post by Welshy Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:06 pm

multiple.scoregasms wrote:I've gone for perceived value in the halves

I think any starting half priced under 30 is under priced, so I've gone with Tim Smith, Shane Perry and Brent Sherwin
    Can remember Tim Smith and I looked at Sherwin because I can remember him at CAS haha! There a half who everyone should have really, he’s on my scoring interchange
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:07 pm

Welshy wrote:
    Didn’t even realise he played that much off the interchange, only makes me cement him in now
    Orford was ahead of him at Storm in 2005, before going to Manly in 2006.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:11 pm

mattnz wrote:
    Orford was ahead of him at Storm in 2005, before going to Manly in 2006.
    Like I said mate, makes me cement him in more in first full season as starting half then thanks for the info
    Empyreal
    Empyreal

Post by Empyreal Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:13 pm

Milchcow wrote:
    How does anyone know if their team is a POD or not without knowing who other people are picking?

Most people have a POD score of 90-100 (add up the total ownership numbers of all their players)

The most PODy team owns 10 unique players (and its not mattnz)

You should post/send those values through once the comp starts. Will be interesting (imo) on who's team was the most unique and which player's were favourites.

Happy to help compile the data (post round 1 obviously) if you want a hand.
    Moanaman
    Moanaman

Post by Moanaman Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:28 pm

What about posting your team up after the Cutoff?

I've done a lot of tinkering, I may be the 10 POD team at this stage. I've done even more tinkering since then and am probably less POD now...

Last edited by Moanaman on Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:37 pm

multiple.scoregasms wrote:Waiting to see how many people have picked the guys I think are "under priced". GM has been around the block for a while so probably has a similar eye to past guns as I do.

In regards to cheating, we know the game play style of most people having played together for quite a while. If VK doesn't captain* a back at some point we will know he has been cheating Wink

I expect the most popular players to be a certain winger from the eventual premiers and a centre for the minor premiers

Issue I had with it was the scoring format. That’s the leveler. Way out of my comfort zone with SuperCoach scoring! I almost certainly have the wrong bench makeup and USELESS base stats forwards despite owning these guys back then

[edit] useless NOT useful

Last edited by GreenMachine on Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:40 pm

GreenMachine wrote:

Issue I had with it was the scoring format. That’s the leveler. Way out of my comfort zone with SuperCoach scoring! I almost certainly have the wrong bench makeup and useful base stats forwards despite owning these guys back then

It's very hard not to revert to the classic second rowers in the centres especially with some old school favourites like Phil Bailey, Ben Smith, Beau Scott and Chris Flannery available
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:41 pm

multiple.scoregasms wrote:Let's get some discussion going

Brett Hodgson vs Clinton Schifcofske, do you want the consistency of Schifcofske or the upside from Hodgson?

Mark Gasnier vs Matt Cooper, the flashy attack of Gasnier vs the reliable defense of Cooper?

Do you pay the premium for Kurt Gidley given he averages 11 higher than the next best half? Or do you chase some value?

Which tackle bot 2RF do you want? Paul Gallen, Craig Fitzgibbon, Ben Kennedy

Do you go with future fantasy immortal Corey Parker or the already established Dallas Johnson?

Do you lock in a work horse prop like Shane Webcke, Luke Bailey or Jason Ryles?

Is it too early for Sam Thaiday, Matt Scott, Luke Lewis, Nate Myles and Simon Mannering to make the jump to rep players?

Is this a break out year for future fantasy stars Michael Gordon, Adam Cuthbertson, William Zillman* and Luke Douglas?

Ben Kennedy what a player he was.

Same with Scott Hill. Great players had forgotten all about until seeing this game
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:43 pm

GreenMachine wrote:

Ben Kennedy what a player he was.

Same with Scott Hill. Great players had forgotten all about until seeing this game

BK was one of the all time great hole runners and super tough to go with it. I wonder if we can petition fox sports to give us coverage
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:07 pm

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

It's very hard not to revert to the classic second rowers in the centres especially with some old school favourites like Phil Bailey, Ben Smith, Beau Scott and Chris Flannery available

That’s one thing I did do. Steered clear assuming some Actual backs score well!

Ben Smith
    Luke Lewis
    Simon Mannering
    Nathan Smith

All those guys were my centres years gone by. Was magic rule the old forwards in the centres
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:13 pm

I’ve got some spare cash and waiting on Gallen. Then Mannering to start and Hayne
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:22 pm

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

BK was one of the all time great hole runners and super tough to go with it. I wonder if we can petition fox sports to give us coverage

Nothing stopping us from tweeting the likes of Vossy or someone else who'd love the idea and have some pull.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:41 pm

In other news, both CHN and Okunbor have been deregistered by the NRL and effectively sacked by the dogs.
    code delta
    code delta

Post by code delta Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:08 pm

filthridden wrote:In other news, both CHN and Okunbor have been deregistered by the NRL and effectively sacked by the dogs.

Were they playing in 2006??
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:17 pm

code delta wrote:

Were they playing in 2006??

Okunbur's girlfriend wasn't even alive then
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:19 pm

multiple.scoregasms wrote:Let's get some discussion going

Brett Hodgson vs Clinton Schifcofske, do you want the consistency of Schifcofske or the upside from Hodgson?

Mark Gasnier vs Matt Cooper, the flashy attack of Gasnier vs the reliable defense of Cooper?

Do you pay the premium for Kurt Gidley given he averages 11 higher than the next best half? Or do you chase some value?

Which tackle bot 2RF do you want? Paul Gallen, Craig Fitzgibbon, Ben Kennedy

Do you go with future fantasy immortal Corey Parker or the already established Dallas Johnson?

Do you lock in a work horse prop like Shane Webcke, Luke Bailey or Jason Ryles?

Is it too early for Sam Thaiday, Matt Scott, Luke Lewis, Nate Myles and Simon Mannering to make the jump to rep players?

Is this a break out year for future fantasy stars Michael Gordon, Adam Cuthbertson, William Zillman* and Luke Douglas?

This is great.
    I haven't submitted a team yet, as have been snowed under with work and family life. Anyway, my thoughts at this point:

Schifcofske was such a great player. I'd love to have him, but am thinking about running cheap backs and hoping they can jag some early tries.
    Hodgson was a great player, but I well remember after the highs of 2005 where their attack was humming, the Tigers were a bit flat the following year - so might be overvalued.

Gasnier was such a gun center. I remember years in Fantasy when I had both, but am thinking he'll grab a set and forget CTR spot - hopefully.

Out of the rest, I'll probably only grab Dallas Johnson - was always a really reliable workhorse for the storm.
    Would love to fit Fitz and Kennedy, but the were a few great Locks around then and have an idea for a slightly cheaper possible POD
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:20 pm

The scoring system could be a leveller. No TBs TAs or a bunch of other stats we are used to.

I haven't looked that closely into what it will do to expectations. I dont even know who the highest scorer for the year will be.
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:22 pm

One of the things I really like about this concept is an opportunity to play things a bit different to how you normally go. I've never gone full Guns and Cows, as am always tempted by perceived midrange value - figure it's a good chance to try a strategy tweak
    Clack Bocks
    Clack Bocks

Post by Clack Bocks Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:28 pm

I literally picked a couple of guns and then filtered by price and then opened up the round 1 team lists and matched them. I went value in halves, front row and centres but think I have a stacked second row and hooker

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:52 am