NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2017 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 31

standard-issue
    standard-issue

2017 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 31 - Page 9 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 31

Post by standard-issue Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:59 am

wolfking wrote:
    SI wrote:

I've been over this 3 times and can't find a simple answer, haha. Both have merit but at least the Buhrer news has increased Yates chances of making a bit more coin. I understand that is not part of your equation, but maybe softens the blow of trading a bye player.

Buuuuuuuutttt...with your position this year, wouldn't you be more suited to chasing big rank jumps over byes than that 50k?

Hence my questioning of what I am looking at doing.  The Buhrer news actually did play a hand in my thinking.  It's not the 50K itself, it's just having that money to get Walker next week without downgrading someone like Siro before someone like Kelly.  But yeah, with my shit ranking this year, I do need all the bye players I can get, but I want to strengthen my squad and not sure if Musgrove's 30 points will be worth it in the long run if it causes me short term loses.  Thanks for the response, it is a lot to think about.

Getting rid of Musgrove instead of Yates gets you Walker? Do it! Gives you the same bye numbers and some positional flexibility, and a bloke who could score all 3 of Musgroves bye round points in one game. Sorry, it seems simpler now I'm actually awake.
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

2017 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 31 - Page 9 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 31

Post by Beast From The Big East Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:00 am

SI wrote:

JBrom having decent byes does make him a look in, but my gut tells me Whitehead is probably the better trade if I was set on doing one of them. I can't have Whitehead because:

I have SMat/Maubbs/Manners-the 3 most likely to play Centre through injury. I don't need Whitehead in there as well, haha. Also got Podene who seems week to week, along with Hess, Yates and TPG who aren't 100% starters. So Whitehead would be like adding fuel to the fire with my particular 2RF make up.

Where are you off to Beast?

Yea that 2nd row could very easily just crash and burn should a few players miss out on team sheets and a few unlucky injuries hit. Here's hoping it doesn't though.

ah currently sitting in Miami airport waiting for a flight to New York, have about another 30 mins till meant to be boarding.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:03 am

sajjos wrote:
    Beast From The Big East wrote:Is Whitehead actually worth it? Yes he is undervalued, but isn't a season long keeper and only plays 1 of the major bye rounds. I understand the appeal, but if you are starting to be plan while also keeping trades in mind then perhaps someone like JBrom who plays the last two, or Gallen/Graham who play the first two are much better targets. JBrom represents similar value and has much more chance of being in your final 17 if he picks his shit up, while both Gallen and Graham while are an expensive outlay, they provide elite level scoring for 2 bye rounds and are season long keepers

Is Wraham still in the Origin mix? Hasn't he been involved in a game or two?

Graham of the English variety mate.
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:04 am

sajjos wrote:

Is Wraham still in the Origin mix? Hasn't he been involved in a game or two?

I would say he's probably the direct beneficiary of Gallen's departure. He was there for game 3 last year not sure about game 2. But in my mind he is Origin caliber through and through and should definitely be there. While he plays on the edge for Cronulla I think he would fit very well as a ball playing lock for NSW depending on the makeup of the rest of the pack. A backrow of Cordner, Graham and Jackson with the likes of Frizz and Klemmer coming off the bench has all the appeal of a mobile forward pack with a bit of xfactor but also a hard running type game plan
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:07 am

Random wrote:Thoughts on what we should do with Sash's team this week?

2017 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 31 - Page 9 0d027e0c8cd106e3ecb5dd01bbd86883
    2017 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 31 - Page 9 7607a2efffac344e0c0d03c1c3eab2c7

No easy way to bring in Crichton, who's one of the top trade targets this week.

I'd consider bringing in Wardle for Brian Kelly.

And with Munster's imminent return perhaps downgrade Jacks. Take a punt on Frawley/Hampton/KNiko
    Probably need to start finding cash soon for upgrades
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:08 am

sajjos wrote:

Wraham

2017 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 31 - Page 9 Phil-Gould

Last edited by Milchcow on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:09 am

Thoughts on the Tolman/JGraham dilemma?

Seems to come up every year where they are bye round targets and Tolman is that 50 to 100k cheaper. I have never taken the Tolmam option but am considering it this year. He should get his customary bump in points when the Dogs pack is depleted and some good early signs allready.

Thing is though, Graham would be a keeper, Tolman may or may not be.
    Finch
    Finch

Post by Finch Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:12 am

SI wrote:Thoughts on the Tolman/JGraham dilemma?

Seems to come up every year where they are bye round targets and Tolman is that 50 to 100k cheaper. I have never taken the Tolmam option but am considering it this year. He should get his customary bump in points when the Dogs pack is depleted and some good early signs allready.

The way I see it, there is a reason Graham is always more expensive than Tolman at the start of the year. Graham just has that extra 10% extra points in him.
    Showbags
    Showbags

Post by Showbags Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:13 am

Beast From The Big East wrote:Is Whitehead actually worth it? Yes he is undervalued, but isn't a season long keeper and only plays 1 of the major bye rounds. I understand the appeal, but if you are starting to be plan while also keeping trades in mind then perhaps someone like JBrom who plays the last two, or Gallen/Graham who play the first two are much better targets. JBrom represents similar value and has much more chance of being in your final 17 if he picks his shit up, while both Gallen and Graham while are an expensive outlay, they provide elite level scoring for 2 bye rounds and are season long keepers

Skipping whitehead, I am actually more inclined to get Tolman, proven gun, and with frawley on bench will play big minutes.
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:15 am

depends on who for I guess. if you are upgrading from someone who's levelled out then I'd say go Tolman for that cash saved and I'd do it soonish before he rises to around 460k come bye time. If it's for someone like McGuire I think you can hold off until pretty much round 12. If you would trade for either of them early it would be Graham in which case you would know which you'd prefer. Tolman and McGuire should score roughly the same, maybe McGuire a few more. That way you get to hope Graham settles a little bit and only costs you 30-40k more than McGuire which isn't much of an inconvenience for a keeper and if not then you can be more than happy with Tolman. That's how I'm playing it at least
    Showbags
    Showbags

Post by Showbags Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:16 am

I am looking at Tolman as well, he will score 5 less than graham, but for 100k less that's fine. We know he can be a keeper, and with frawley on bench and origin coming up he should be in line for big minutes. Was set to go lamb to walker, but have decided to go yates to tolman
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:19 am

Finch wrote:

The way I see it, there is a reason Graham is always more expensive than Tolman at the start of the year. Graham just has that extra 10% extra points in him.

Tolman ($457k) was more expensive than James Graham ($430k) as recently as last year

Of course, James Graham was then the best value FRF gun (well 2nd best after Ryan James)
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:26 am

At Whiteheads price, yes he is worth it. Lock him in as a 50 avg and a great 18th man. I dont rate JBrom at all this season and will be steering clear until he shows he can post back to back 50's. Graham and Gallen are way out of Whiteheads price range right now thats why there is no Gallen v Whitehead disscussion, yes if you can afford either then go Gallen but most cant.

wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:29 am

SI wrote:

Getting rid of Musgrove instead of Yates gets you Walker? Do it! Gives you the same bye numbers and some positional flexibility, and a bloke who could score all 3 of Musgroves bye round points in one game. Sorry, it seems simpler now I'm actually awake.

All good mate.  Thanks.  Yeah, basically, getting rid of Musgrove this week instead of Yates will allow me to get Walker next week by trading Suli or Kelly instead of needing to get rid of Siro or Wallace etc. or someone of that caliber.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

Post by multiple.scoregasms Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:30 am

Blues have so many quality edge options and not many stepping up for that middle 3rd role. Jackson Cordner Frizell Graham all capable of getting the job done on the edge. Frizell has also shown he can be explosive through the middle. I would like to see something like:

8.Woods
    10.Vaughan
    11.Cordner
    12.Jackson
    13.Klemmer
    14.Bird
    15.Boyd
    16.Frizell
    17.Fifita/JTurbo/Paulo/Merrin

None of those middle forwards really stepping up and claiming their spot aside from Paulo but thats probably 1 too many debutants in the pack for Laurie
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:31 am

Beast From The Big East wrote:

agreed. when choosing one player over another for the byes, it often seems to get overlooked that they will both play the same amount of games between round 12 and round 19, just a matter of what else you have to cover and then you weigh up the points difference vs cash.

agreed, it looks like Musgrove out is the better move for you at this stage. now you've got me working out how to bring in Walker too lol!

Thanks mate. Like Musgrove as a player but want that second gun in my halves without sacrificing another quality player while Kelly and Suli still sit there.
    Showbags
    Showbags

Post by Showbags Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:31 am

ok trades locked in.....for at least an hour Very Happy

Guths to Crichton via aubs
    Yates to Tolman
    53k remaining in the bank

lamb lives 1 more week!
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:38 am

Shanbon wrote:

At Whiteheads price, yes he is worth it. Lock him in as a 50 avg and a great 18th man. I dont rate JBrom at all this season and will be steering clear until he shows he can post back to back 50's. Graham and Gallen are way out of Whiteheads price range right now thats why there is no Gallen v Whitehead disscussion, yes if you can afford either then go Gallen but most cant.

agree that at the price he is intriguing, just that only just realized that for me team and plans he isn't actually all that handy. benefits me much more to wait out and see for JBrom to return from his injuries and start playing 60+ minutes again. oh agreed about the price ranges, just stated them two as they are two other bye friendly targets and with so many cheaper guns and quite a few teams already stacking their 2rfs and not a great deal of DPP flexibility actually, that if you are churning through the trades then Whitehead is someone who can be passed up with a sense of yea it would have been nice but not the end of the season if you don't get him in
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:42 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:Blues have so many quality edge options and not many stepping up for that middle 3rd role. Jackson Cordner Frizell Graham all capable of getting the job done on the edge. Frizell has also shown he can be explosive through the middle. I would like to see something like:

8.Woods
    10.Vaughan
    11.Cordner
    12.Jackson
    13.Klemmer
    14.Bird
    15.Boyd
    16.Frizell
    17.Fifita/JTurbo/Paulo/Merrin

None of those middle forwards really stepping up and claiming their spot aside from Paulo but thats probably 1 too many debutants in the pack for Laurie

I think the most likely forward pack is

Woods
    Farah
    Tamou
    Cordner
    Jackson
    Frizell

Moylan
    Graham
    Boyd/Klemmer
    Fifita

Vaughan/Paulo with get time around the team but Daley doesnt like bringing in new guys until theyve played well over 2 origin periods and theyve been 18man a bit to get used to the team. I could see Tamou losing his spot to Boyd and Klemmer taking Boyds bench spot. Klemmer has been out of form this year and will be lucky to hold his spot.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:45 am

Beast From The Big East wrote:

agreed. when choosing one player over another for the byes, it often seems to get overlooked that they will both play the same amount of games between round 12 and round 19, just a matter of what else you have to cover and then you weigh up the points difference vs cash.

That is where trade timing comes in.

Get the early bye players in now, and then bring in keepers from the later bye rounds during the origin period. Idea is to get your final 17 together in round 19/20 and not be scrambling after byes to get it together for the next few rounds

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:18 am