NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

More Accolades for the greatest player of the modern generation

Dip

More Accolades for the greatest player of the modern generation - Page 3 Empty Re: More Accolades for the greatest player of the modern generation

Post by Dip Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Johns played with some pretty handy players at origin level too. Guys like Fittler, Buderus, Daley, and whoever was playing halfback in front of him at the time.
    Disruptive Trolling
    Banned

More Accolades for the greatest player of the modern generation - Page 3 Empty Re: More Accolades for the greatest player of the modern generation

Post by Disruptive Trolling Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:34 pm

Dip wrote:Johns played with some pretty handy players at origin level too. Guys like Fittler, Buderus, Daley, and whoever was playing halfback in front of him at the time.

Minichiello was supposedly better than Lockyer while they were both playing fullback.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:56 pm

Dip wrote:Johns played with some pretty handy players at origin level too. Guys like Fittler, Buderus, Daley, and whoever was playing halfback in front of him at the time.

Oh yeah no doubt but they're not the calibre of Cam Smith, Lockyer.

If someone playing halfback in front of someone makes them less of a player does that mean Sherwin and Anasta are better than Thurston? [ /sarcasm ]

NSW selection panel was to blame for that cock up.
    Disruptive Trolling
    Banned

Post by Disruptive Trolling Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:04 pm

I would think there is a big difference between not picking a 19 year old kid over two established first graders than selectors picking Kimmorely over Johns when they were both at the peak of their powers. 

Worked pretty good in the 2000 series, no?
    Dip

Post by Dip Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:18 pm

Not to mention the irony of talking about Johns being at his brilliant best in 2005. The year JT won his first Dally M as a 22 year old.

Don't get me wrong, I like Joey as a player, and he generally doesn't get enough credit from QLDers, but he generally gets too much from NSWmen. He was an excellent player who for a little while was the best player in the world, which in itself deserves credit, but has been credited with far more than he has actually done. He has been credited for state of origin wins in games he didn't play, and other times coming of the bench in far superior teams. In unified comps he has never beaten a team other than perennial losers parra and the Sharks, and the team of "inferior players" that he "carried" to the premiership included 10 starters who played origin and/or tests for Australia (6 in the backline against toilers like David Vialiki, Justin Moodie etc).

If QLD hadn't dominated the last decade meaning NSW fans needed some great hope and memory of times when their SOO team beat up on QLD teams containing the likes of Nutley, Williams, Bowman, Flannery, McGuire etc, he would be talked about with the likes of Daley, Fittler, Meninga etc - Hall of Fame quality players a bit below the standard of the likes of Lewis, Fulton, Churchill and JT.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:37 am

Except when he was playing people were calling him the best ever. So it's not so misguided need to have someone to worship. He changed the game, he's a legend and rightfully in the discussion for greatest ever. He's certainly the greatest player I've ever seen. JT doesn't have the defensive game to be classed as the GOAT.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:05 am

Maybe I need to rewatch a few Johns games. Which ones was he high as fuck? The ones he did a banana kick when he meant to kick it straight but acted as if he meant to do it all along
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:24 am

Defensively JT makes tackles that Johns doesn't even attempt as he was standing with his hands on his hips 50m away.
    Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

Post by Pain Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:01 am

Dip is my new favourite poster
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:15 pm

Dip wrote:Defensively JT makes tackles that Johns doesn't even attempt as he was standing with his hands on his hips 50m away.

Maybe he should reserve his energy so he can make a one on one tackle before he retires
    RhinoNQ

Post by RhinoNQ Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:11 pm

such competitiveness

Post by Guest Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:08 pm

Honeysett wrote:

Maybe he should reserve his energy so he can make a one on one tackle before he retires

JT has made more 1 on 1 tackles then Johns has popped pills.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:30 pm

Bren wrote:

JT has made more 1 on 1 tackles then Johns has popped pills.

He's been arrested more than Joey as well.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Honeysett wrote:

He's been arrested more than Joey as well.

What was JT arrested for? Public awesomeness?
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:43 pm

Public drunkenness and I assume he would have been arrested at some point for his alleged involvement in Coffs Harbour
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:58 pm

Johns was arrested in London, JT was arrested in Brisbane. Pretty sure he was never arrested for any involvement in Coffs Harbour.

This is a bit like when Bart and Lisa find Marge and Homer's police records - "Hey, Homer's been arrested 6 times! Aww, mum's only been arrested twice"

Post by Guest Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:10 pm

Serious question, does anyone know where I can download or buy a dvd or something of Johns old games? Would also be keen on old school NBA games from the 90's
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Bren wrote:Serious question, does anyone know where I can download or buy a dvd or something of Johns old games? Would also be keen on old school NBA games from the 90's

If you find out let me know. I've got the origin boxset and the Joey DVD but they're obviously not a fair representation

Post by Guest Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:30 pm

Honeysett wrote:

If you find out let me know. I've got the origin boxset and the Joey DVD but they're obviously not a fair representation

I thought of all people you would have a stockpile or a source of Joeys old games. Super keen to watch some 90's NBA games as well hey. Jordan, Pippen, BJ Armstrong, Miller, Mourning etc Good times.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:16 pm

Does anyone else think Smith is better then both of them?

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 6:05 am