NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

More Accolades for the greatest player of the modern generation

Dip

More Accolades for the greatest player of the modern generation Empty More Accolades for the greatest player of the modern generation

Post by Dip Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:25 am

JT has just become the first person to win three golden boot award. This follows on from a season where he won an unprecedented 4th Dally M, his second premiership (this time as captain), the Clive Churchill medal and his 9th state of origin series. I'm pretty sure he has scored more Dally M points than anyone in the history of the game, and is on track to have played more often then every "Immortal" by the end of the 2016 season.

Pretty clear his record is unmatched by anyone in the full-time professional era. What a player.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

More Accolades for the greatest player of the modern generation Empty Re: More Accolades for the greatest player of the modern generation

Post by standard-issue Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:40 am

I think I read on FB a couple of days ago that he was paying $8 to win it. Thinking about it though maybe that had to have been his starting price.
    Dip

More Accolades for the greatest player of the modern generation Empty Re: More Accolades for the greatest player of the modern generation

Post by Dip Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:43 am

I think RTS was the strong favourite because apparently the judges give a much higher weighting to international matches, and Australia only played 1, which they lost. Perhaps NZ's loss to England pegged RTS back a couple of notches.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:46 am

Oh ok.  It was a very dour series, Nightingale's try in the corner lit the 3rd game up but I still fell sleep before the end of it.  Great crowds though.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:35 am

Certainly got the most accolades. If you could pick one player in their prime to mould a team around would it be him though?
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:45 am

Krump wrote:Certainly got the most accolades. If you could pick one player in their prime to mould a team around would it be him though?

Might depend on who you can choose to surround them with. Without getting into a debate, it could be argued Johns achieved with having a much weaker supporting cast. If it was a school yard pick of all players in the history of the game then JT is hard to go pass
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:57 am

Wouldn't pick johns either
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:01 am

Krump wrote:Wouldn't pick johns either

Wasn't meaning I would either. Would possibly build mine around Meninga
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:09 am

JT's best attribute can't be measured by stats, his ability to never give up. He doesn't stop, chasing down his own kicks, always chasing after runaway try scorers.

He's the best attacking player I've ever seen, best competitive player I've ever seen. Just not the best overall player I've ever seen.
    Disruptive Trolling
    Banned

Post by Disruptive Trolling Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:20 am

Never understood the Andrew Johns love. Don't think he was ever the best halfback in the game at any one time and was horribly injury prone from 2002 to 2007.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:28 am

Honeysett wrote:JT's best attribute can't be measured by stats, his ability to never give up. He doesn't stop, chasing down his own kicks, always chasing after runaway try scorers.

He's the best attacking player I've ever seen, best competitive player I've ever seen. Just not the best overall player I've ever seen.

That's what I loved about Lockyer, and to an extent - Cam Smith. They're assessing everything right up to the last second.....

Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:56 am

The Bell Cow wrote:Never understood the Andrew Johns love. Don't think he was ever the best halfback in the game at any one time and was horribly injury prone from 2002 to 2007.

Injury prone yes but you can see at the height of his involvement in 2005 Origin. He was absolutely dominant. He had the ability to make those around him absolute world beaters for the players they were.

His kicking game was second to none, there were kicks he would do that weren't around then and laid the foundation for guys like JT to pick up.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:01 am

dasherhalo wrote:

Lockyer had a great ability to read the game like few could. I put Cam Smith and Andrew Johns in that same category. They see the game that others couldn't learn.

That's what I loved about Lockyer, and to an extent - Cam Smith. They're assessing everything right up to the last second.....

Disruptive Trolling
    Banned

Post by Disruptive Trolling Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:48 am

Honeysett wrote:

Injury prone yes but you can see at the height of his involvement in 2005 Origin. He was absolutely dominant. He had the ability to make those around him absolute world beaters for the players they were.

His kicking game was second to none, there were kicks he would do that weren't around then and laid the foundation for guys like JT to pick up.

Glad to see you were listening to the Andrew Johns propaganda machine aka the Channel 9 commentary team.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:24 pm

The Bell Cow wrote:

Glad to see you were listening to the Andrew Johns propaganda machine aka the Channel 9 commentary team.

Yeaaah or you know I'm a Knights fan and actually watched him play his whole career but you put on your tinfoil hat.

Channel 9 big up JT just as much as anyone else. Perhaps they talk about the great players *gasp* who would have thought?! Someone call the papers!
    Disruptive Trolling
    Banned

Post by Disruptive Trolling Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:49 pm

Why would I have a tin foil hat on when I actually have seen Wally Lewis do the exact same kicks that Johns supposedly invented 10 years after the fact? But he didn't hit the post from 50 metres out once on purpose (supposedly).

I just feel sorry for Thurston that he doesn't only have 1 good Origin series that people can use ad nauseum as proof of his excellence.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:55 pm

The Bell Cow wrote:Why would I have a tin foil hat on when I actually have seen Wally Lewis do the exact same kicks that Johns supposedly invented 10 years after the fact? But he didn't hit the post from 50 metres out once on purpose (supposedly).

I just feel sorry for Thurston that he doesn't only have 1 good Origin series that people can use ad nauseum as proof of his excellence.

Care to show evidence of your "facts" or do they not exist? Like deities?

If you think John's only career highlight is the try set up for mini then we shall end the conversation here.

Thurston is fortunate to be in a QLD team with potentially two of the best players ever, Cam Smith and GI. However that's not to discredit his abilities, unlike you I can see talent outside of my own borders.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:33 pm

Honeysett wrote:
    The Bell Cow wrote:Why would I have a tin foil hat on when I actually have seen Wally Lewis do the exact same kicks that Johns supposedly invented 10 years after the fact? But he didn't hit the post from 50 metres out once on purpose (supposedly).

If you think John's only career highlight is the try set up for mini then we shall end the conversation here.

Thurston is fortunate to be in a QLD team with potentially two of the best players ever, Cam Smith and GI. However that's not to discredit his abilities, unlike you I can see talent outside of my own borders.

Trophy
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:44 pm

Honeysett wrote:

GI is ridiculously overrated imo.
    Disruptive Trolling
    Banned

Post by Disruptive Trolling Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:55 pm

Shane is odd. 

Accuses people of being trolls or wearing tin foil hats because they disagree with his opinion. Also is a supposed life long Newcastle fan yet seems to be discrediting just how good of a player Danny Buderus was. 

And lastly, putting Inglis instead of Lockyer really really pissed me off.

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:07 pm