NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 5

RNGD Analytics
    RNGD Analytics

2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 5 - Page 15 Empty Re: 2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 5

Post by RNGD Analytics Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

Haha, small world! I work with one of the co-creators of 1000minds! I’ve ever used it though. He’s always offered it to me for free, how much time would be involved customizing it for fantasy?

Ha. We probably know each other or something.

It is pretty easy. The key thing I'd understanding the decision variables and then how to weight them. That was my main obstacle - how important is a factor like byes.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 5 - Page 15 Empty Re: 2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 5

Post by multiple.scoregasms Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:38 am

filthridden wrote:

Seen a lot of Warriors promotional material featuring Keighran lately. Not sure what to read into that if anything.

There was an article quoting RTS today as having him in the lead. A local source says that Keighran himself doesn't know if he will get the spot until the trials.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:41 am

Krump wrote:Wasn't there someone a few years ago who was getting the data on ownership % in the top 100? Arsen maybe?

TT used to do this. Was very instrumental in my run home in 2013, however Blake Ferguson put an end to that

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:02 am

You can bank on Kieghran for the 7 bar injury or off field discretions, the Warriors have always lacked thinkers in their halves since the days of Jones. It’s the direction they’re trying to take and that’s why Johnson is gone. People may say it was salary cap but that’s a joke if you believe he’s worth it. The Warriors believe he isn’t, they’ve been blessed with natural ability and heads up halves for a while but history has shown in a NRL season the teams that have the higher IQ halves are the ones with the trophies.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:11 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

TT used to do this. Was very instrumental in my run home in 2013, however Blake Ferguson put an end to that

TT and Arsen were champions at pulling stuff off the site. A lot of what I know about retrieving fantasy stats I learnt from them (in the old days there was a lot of manual copy and paste)
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 am

RNGD Analytics wrote:

Haha. I've always found that whether a player is a pod is too far up the list of considerations which is why I always push back on it. All things being equal it matters but normally all things aren't equal.

Really liked reading some of Matt's stuff particularly his decision making model. I wanted to try to build a model a few years ago when I had access to a decision making tool for work called 1000minds. In the end I was too lazy so I just kept it based on my forecast return and my assessed level of risk. One thing decision making models can do is remove the bias or prejudice we have in built. Someone mentioned Croft, there's some decent reasons to be interested in him, basically he has four bad fantasy games in his career, but those four games came when we all owned him so now people won't touch him. Those decision making models can help avoid some of those inefficiencies.

Not having good access to a decision model like this (or the smarts to build one myself) is why I had to give up DFS. Was spending so much time on getting stuff into/out of excel it was just consming everything. Was spending hours a day on it, almost all my free time and was barely keeping up with the pros who had decent software. If I ever get redundancy and/or a bunch of free time I'll spend some time getting into that sort of thing
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:17 am

KalkadoonWarrior wrote:You can bank on Kieghran for the 7 bar injury or off field discretions, the Warriors have always lacked thinkers in their halves since the days of Jones. It’s the direction they’re trying to take and that’s why Johnson is gone. People may say it was salary cap but that’s a joke if you believe he’s worth it. The Warriors believe he isn’t, they’ve been blessed with natural ability and heads up halves for a while but history has shown in a NRL season the teams that have the higher IQ halves are the ones with the trophies.

Not as much of a lock as you would think

2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 5 - Page 15 Captur12
    L-Jimmy
    L-Jimmy

Post by L-Jimmy Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:26 am

Rapture_NRL wrote:

I'd definitely engage if someone put it up as a sub-topic of this (like how the Assistant topic is set up)

When this thread is dead I check the Assistant page cause I needs me some crack :bounce:

Good. I’m not the only one. I’d happily volunteer to run the WisDoCrow team, but I’m working overseas for the first half of March, and likely to be unreliable. Anyone want to pair up?
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:26 am

RNGD Analytics wrote:

Ha. We probably know each other or something.

It is pretty easy. The key thing I'd understanding the decision variables and then how to weight them. That was my main obstacle - how important is a factor like byes.

Classic - have PM'd you mate. Will catch up for coffee whenever u have the time.
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:27 am

rhinoceroo wrote:

You think you're keeping, Capewell & Holland all season? I'm not saying they're bad picks, but the people whi win the competition are going to have Mitchell and whoever this year's boom centre is (last year it was Marsters) in their 17 for the last couple of months. I'd be surprised if that boom centre was Holland, and Capewell is only around until Graham gets back. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad picks (I have Capewell) but they're not going to save you trades.

I recommend having a play around with Capewell at 14-17. He’s DPP which is gold in the new format and not overly expensive. I’ve built a few teams starting with 14-17 (ie Macca TPJ Capewell Keighran) and it gives such great balance even though you are starting an Allan or Lomax
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:54 am

KalkadoonWarrior wrote:You can bank on Kieghran for the 7 bar injury or off field discretions, the Warriors have always lacked thinkers in their halves since the days of Jones. It’s the direction they’re trying to take and that’s why Johnson is gone. People may say it was salary cap but that’s a joke if you believe he’s worth it. The Warriors believe he isn’t, they’ve been blessed with natural ability and heads up halves for a while but history has shown in a NRL season the teams that have the higher IQ halves are the ones with the trophies.

long term halves are expected to be Harris-Tevita and Turner (looking a wee way down the track) so if anything, I see Keighran making a name for himself in NZ for a couple of years and heading back across the ditch for better career prospects.
    RNGD Analytics
    RNGD Analytics

Post by RNGD Analytics Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:58 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:
    Classic - have PM'd you mate. Will catch up for coffee whenever u have the time.
    Done!
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:01 am

GreenMachine wrote:

I recommend having a play around with Capewell at 14-17. He’s DPP which is gold in the new format and not overly expensive. I’ve built a few teams starting with 14-17 (ie Macca TPJ Capewell Keighran) and it gives such great balance even though you are starting an Allan or Lomax

Burr or Brown for Keighran 4th reserve if he doesn’t get the nod obv.

Good to see you round Filth
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:03 am

filthridden wrote:

long term halves are expected to be Harris-Tevita and Turner (looking a wee way down the track) so if anything, I see Keighran making a name for himself in NZ for a couple of years and heading back across the ditch for better career prospects.

He doesn’t cost us much to find out but be interested how much noise (if any) in Burr in your press mate
    Rapture_NRL
    Rapture_NRL

Post by Rapture_NRL Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:08 am

filthridden wrote:

I've read a bit to say Keighran is a shoe in for 7. I'd love that because CHT plays like SJ used to and I want a measured half at the Warriors. Keighran also can play Centre and tbh I really want someone to replace Kata (not that this is likely)
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:09 am

GreenMachine wrote:

He doesn’t cost us much to find out but be interested how much noise (if any) in Burr in your press mate

I posted the other day a little snippet for a radio interview that Stacey Jones did. Stace said Burr was the fittest in preseason and named him alongside Keighran as the most impressive of the new kids this preseason when asked by the interviewer. I think he's a shot to start the season at lock.Might not hold it for long though if the warriors start poorly but you'd think they give him a few games at least.
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:14 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

I posted the other day a little snippet for a radio interview that Stacey Jones did. Stace said Burr was the fittest in preseason and named him alongside Keighran as the most impressive of the new kids this preseason when asked by the interviewer. I think he's a shot to start the season at lock.Might not hold it for long though if the warriors start poorly but you'd think they give him a few games at least.

Nice one cheers mate! Without knowing that I liked his price. He wasn’t hopeless at the Titans and just a matter of minutes
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:17 am

Any new chatter i've missed over the weekend guys?

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:26 am

Not sure that’s right. He’s 6’1 and 90 odd kilo? I reckon he’s a 5/8 and the other kid is a natural halfback. Trials will tell, but I’m backing CHT to get the spot eventually. Maybe they start with Keighran.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:43 am

What's the pecking order with the Shark 2fr's? Is it Capewell first and the others battling for the other spot?

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:16 pm