NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 40 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by MilfordTheMagician Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:42 am

Pieman wrote:Sad fact is, Gillet is just about done. He would be the clear cut out and out best option but they ovb have doubts about how much longer he will play. Maybe he doesnt want to be captain?
    Glenn is prob gone from the club and honestly, would he even make the starting team next season?
    Oates is a winger and potentially gone too.
    McCullogh is on the way out.
    Milf is not captain material.

Honestly Boyd is still the best option.

Nah, he needs concentrate on not being shit next season rather than being the captain.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 40 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by ryno_ Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:58 am

MilfordTheMagician wrote:
    People are just saying Lodge isn't a good captain because of his past. Guess what, no one is perfect and he (along with everyone else at the club) has moven on and Lodge hasn't put a foot wrong in 2 years.

The players want him as the next captain and I hope it happens.

Sure, nobodies perfect... But fuck me, as far as I'm aware he's the only potential candidate that has spent a fortnight on Rikers Island for aggrivated assault which they committed while also serving a good behavour bond for stalking, assault and domestic abuse back home. Happy to be proven wrong on that though. And less then 3 years later he's being talked about as the next captain? What a joke.

How good will Women in League round be, with Captain Lodge running out in the pink jersey?
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:54 am

Nah, he needs concentrate on not being shit next season rather than being the captain.

I think playing him at centre helps with that

Post by Guest Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:45 am

ryno_ wrote:

Sure, nobodies perfect... But fuck me, as far as I'm aware he's the only potential candidate that has spent a fortnight on Rikers Island for aggrivated assault which they committed while also serving a good behavour bond for stalking, assault and domestic abuse back home.

well yeh, if you define it by those extremely specific terms, then sure, but there was a bloke who actually assaulted some-one to the point of near-death as opposed to yelling about it while lumbering around looking like a wacky waving inflatable arm-flailing tubeman, he spent a year in prison (down from 2), was immediately let back into the game no questions asked, then within the same time-frame was made a co-captain of a club and was named the on-field captain for a least one game i believe, and at no point in that whole process did anyone raise so much as eyebrow about it, nor did the sky fall down. Hell, a confessed drug cheat walked right back into his captaincy on his return from his ban, and again, it might as well have been the most normal thing in the world.

I do wish there was a scenario in which the club had an easy way to avoid making the call, it'll be a PR nightmare on the back of who we are, but I've been keeping my eye on the Lodge situation since his return and I'm comfortable that the monster of the past is the kid he was, not the man he is. Captains aren't necessarily the best player on the park or the bloke with the cleanest skin, but the player that the others look to for the motivation to keep them going, and by all reports out of the club, that man is Lodge.

In a perfect world, Boyd isn't a complete basket-case and he can see out the rest of his contract with dignity, then pass the reins along to Patty Carrigan, but it's not, a lot of tough calls need to be made within the club right now, and this might have to be one of them.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:06 am

Boyd wont get the 15 games next year that he needs to activate his 2021 team option. There is no way they make him captain again IMO
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:59 am

ryno_ wrote:

Sure, nobodies perfect... But fuck me, as far as I'm aware he's the only potential candidate that has spent a fortnight on Rikers Island for aggrivated assault which they committed while also serving a good behavour bond for stalking, assault and domestic abuse back home. Happy to be proven wrong on that though. And less then 3 years later he's being talked about as the next captain? What a joke.

How good will Women in League round be, with Captain Lodge running out in the pink jersey?

Yep, he fucked up but has clearly learned from his mistakes and everything has been good with him ever since he's been at the club. It's not like Darius has a perfect record with off-field incidents either, well, allegedly anyway...
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:27 am

He's paid his dues and more importantly paid his victims. I agree it's not a good look but if he's the total cleanskin that's claimed now then who better to take charge of a bunch of young blokes with too much money and too little sense
    Ice

Post by Ice Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:30 am

Glenn - too old
    Gillett - too old
    Oates - If he can catch 5 bombs in a row at training give him the captaincy (no chance)
    McCullough - Bloke might not even be at the club next year
    Milford - Hasn't done enough to prove he's a good leader IMO

People are just saying Lodge isn't a good captain because of his past. Guess what, no one is perfect and he (along with everyone else at the club) has moven on and Lodge hasn't put a foot wrong in 2 years.

The players want him as the next captain and I hope it happens.

And there in lies the issues at the Broncos. If the players want Lodge, that's a huge issue with your playing group on two fronts 1) you've got no better option, and 2) The players respect the guy. I couldn't ever respect a bloke that did what he did. I could say, yep, you've cleaned up your act, good for you,but he couldn't earn my respect. But hey, thats just me.
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:40 am

Ice wrote:

And there in lies the issues at the Broncos. If the players want Lodge, that's a huge issue with your playing group on two fronts 1) you've got no better option, and 2) The players respect the guy.  I couldn't ever respect a bloke that did what he did. I could say, yep, you've cleaned up your act, good for you,but he couldn't earn my respect. But hey, thats just me.

So how much longer should he be punished for then? Another year? 2? 5? It's over with, people need to move on. The only thing that matters is who is best for the position and I honestly think it's Lodge. He led by example this season and was our best player, along with Haas. Haas is way too young for the captaincy but he is certainly next in-line down the track.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:22 pm

Ice wrote:

And there in lies the issues at the Broncos. If the players want Lodge, that's a huge issue with your playing group on two fronts 1) you've got no better option, and 2) The players respect the guy.  I couldn't ever respect a bloke that did what he did. I could say, yep, you've cleaned up your act, good for you,but he couldn't earn my respect. But hey, thats just me.

I mean, that's a pretty safe thing to say about a bloke you don't know and don't like (for perfectly understandable reasons) who is playing for a club you don't like. The players spend a huge amount of time around him, I'd tend to defer to them on judgment of current character.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:27 pm

Krump wrote:He's paid his dues and more importantly paid his victims. I agree it's not a good look but if he's the total cleanskin that's claimed now then who better to take charge of a bunch of young blokes with too much money and too little sense

has he paid them?

So how much longer should he be punished for then? Another year? 2? 5? It's over with, people need to move on. The only thing that matters is who is best for the position and I honestly think it's Lodge. He led by example this season and was our best player, along with Haas. Haas is way too young for the captaincy but he is certainly next in-line down the track.

Some things stick with you for ever. And rightly so. Forgive but dont forget.
    Ice

Post by Ice Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:24 am

I don't think he needs to be punished anymore, I'm just saying, if he Is your best option as captain and he is the guy your other guys look up to, if he is the best you've got, then you've got some issues, and I personally couldn't respect or even play for a guy like him, but like I said, that's just me, I'm not a fan of people who have been violent towards women, I'm not an enabler.
    Ice

Post by Ice Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:25 am

surmo13 wrote:

I mean, that's a pretty safe thing to say about a bloke you don't know and don't like (for perfectly understandable reasons) who is playing for a club you don't like. The players spend a huge amount of time around him, I'd tend to defer to them on judgment of current character.

Yeah, I tend to defer to a bunch of footy guys for judgement on character also.............

Post by Guest Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:14 am

Ice wrote:

Yeah, I tend to defer to a bunch of footy guys for judgement on character also.............

Rolling Eyes if you have that low of an opinion of the players then why does this scenario even bother you? All i'm saying is that there are a lot of blokes of varying backgrounds, beliefs, opinions, morals etc. who spend probably as much time around each other than their own families, if they see leadership qualities in some-one, then who am I to argue as some-one who just watches them play a game for a couple hours a week for half a year?
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:16 am

Pieman wrote:

has he paid them?

Some things stick with you for ever. And rightly so. Forgive but dont forget.

Someone paid them, they made a big deal out of it so the NRL would let him back.
    Ice

Post by Ice Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:45 am

surmo13 wrote:

Rolling Eyes if you have that low of an opinion of the players then why does this scenario even bother you? All i'm saying is that there are a lot of blokes of varying backgrounds, beliefs, opinions, morals etc. who spend probably as much time around each other than their own families, if they see leadership qualities in some-one, then who am I to argue as some-one who just watches them play a game for a couple hours a week for half a year?

I don't stereotype or generally have that low of an opnion about a certain group of people, until they lead me to believe they want a woman basher as their leader.

Post by Guest Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:57 pm

well i was trying to find some middle ground here, but i see even that is still too way big of a fall from atop your very high horse, so i think that about wraps things up.
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:06 pm

I feel like this thread spent 2 or 3 pages arguing over if going to the pokies shows good judgement or not and now all of a sudden those MENSA candidates who may or may not have been showing good judgement or not are now experts on if their mates have leadership qualities or not.

Curious pivot.
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:16 pm

His punishment stopped 2 seasons ago when he was allowed to play premireship football, what, 2 years after terrorising a family, assaulting a bloke and making a 9 year old think he's going to die. Its not like he's living through some ongoing punishment with no sign of redemption. He's in a high profile job, at a high profile professional sports team. Saying "how much longer should he be punished for then?" is a ridiculous question, his punishment a long time ago.

Being blacklisted from leadership and high prestige positions for life is a wholly appropriate punishment for what he did. He doesnt have some god-given right to be a captain being kept from him. Carney got blacklisted from playing altogether for less.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:10 am

Ice wrote:

I don't stereotype or generally have that low of an opnion about a certain group of people, until they lead me to believe they want a woman basher as their leader.

done forget the young child he terrorised

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:12 pm