NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Honeysett
    Honeysett

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 41 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by Honeysett Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:20 am

Do people deserve second chances? Absolutely. Lodge has hardly set a foot wrong since he's come back from what he's done, however I don't think he should play representative football nor should he be captaining a club for a while longer.

It does show how far the Broncos have fallen off the field though

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 41 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by Guest Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:18 pm

it's a little weird that nobody got this bent out of shape over Greg Inglis being named captain for club, state or country...
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:17 pm

surmo13 wrote:it's a little weird that nobody got this bent out of shape over Greg Inglis being named captain for club, state or country...

Like Greg Bird (and disappointingly, probably many others I cant think of at present), had he copped a guilty verdict in court, I'd be more then happy for the same standard to have been applied to him. Without a that... its a potentially dangerous area to be punishing someone for something that isn't on their record, even though they might be a shit bloke and deserve whatever penalty they had potentially escaped.

David Warner (differnet sport, sure but im talking public reaction rather then internal governance decisions) has been barred from captaincy roles for life for sandpapering a cricket ball and the wider community seems to be in more-or-less agreement that its a good thing. I dont think having a similar punishment for domestic violence, assault and terrorising a child is unreasonable.

Post by Guest Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:28 pm

so your personal ethics depend on whether or not there was a terribly obvious cover-up involved or not... that's interesting
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:54 pm

surmo13 wrote:so your personal ethics depend on whether or not there was a terribly obvious cover-up involved or not... that's interesting

Not sure if youre replying to the first paragraph or the second tbh.

But not at all - It sucks that not everyone who is actually guilty gets found guilty and punished but at the end of the day, you have to have _some_ kind of faith in our court/justice system and I believe that its the best avenue for determining if someone is worthy of punishment or not. Its not perfect (obviously) and im sure it misses occaisionally (the Bird or GI defence for eg) but I trust it a lot more then systems so famously inconsistent and untransparent as sporting bodies (across the board) to determine guilt or not.
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:48 pm

Geez, Lazarus has gone a bit OTT with his thoughts on Lodge as captain. Other former players from different clubs have had their say and of course only think it's a bad idea, besides Lockyer. It doesn't surprise me almost everyone is looking at the idea as a bad one, clearly NOTHING positive could come from it Rolling Eyes
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:53 pm

Also I'm not buying into what Benji said, saying Seibold shouldn't be overlooking experienced players like Gillett/Glenn/McCullough in favour of Lodge for the captaincy. How did Boyd as captain go this year? How long has he been playing for?
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:22 am

ryno_ wrote:I feel like this thread spent 2 or 3 pages arguing over if going to the pokies shows good judgement or not and now all of a sudden those MENSA candidates who may or may not have been showing good judgement or not are now experts on if their mates have leadership qualities or not.

Curious pivot.
    POTY candidate
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:29 am

exactly milf some blokes come into the league with leadership qualities, some dont and develop them over time. Some never do.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:27 am

I personally have no issue with Lodge being made captain. He's been with us 3 years and not put a foot wrong. I get that others will take issue with it, and it will be a PR disaster.

We're fucked for choices though, and giving it to any of the senior players will be detrimental to our teams own progress. Boyd shouldn't be in the side, Gillett may not even be a starter. Macca hopefully won't be on the roster. Glenn is an admirable choice, but its unlikely he'll be around, or hold a starting spot. I don't think Milford is captain material. What else do we do? Its probably going to have to be a 'co-captain' situation..
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:57 am

ryno_ wrote:I feel like this thread spent 2 or 3 pages arguing over if going to the pokies shows good judgement or not and now all of a sudden those MENSA candidates who may or may not have been showing good judgement or not are now experts on if their mates have leadership qualities or not.

Curious pivot.

This
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:59 am

surmo13 wrote:well i was trying to find some middle ground here, but i see even that is still too way big of a fall from atop your very high horse, so i think that about wraps things up.

What middle ground are you looking for? And deadset, "high horse"??? My position is I can't respect a woman basher. Seriously, I'm not even on a miniature Shetland pony with that.

Last edited by Ice on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:01 pm

ryno_ wrote:

Like Greg Bird (and disappointingly, probably many others I cant think of at present), had he copped a guilty verdict in court, I'd be more then happy for the same standard to have been applied to him. Without a that... its a potentially dangerous area to be punishing someone for something that isn't on their record, even though they might be a shit bloke and deserve whatever penalty they had potentially escaped.

David Warner (differnet sport, sure but im talking public reaction rather then internal governance decisions) has been barred from captaincy roles for life for sandpapering a cricket ball and the wider community seems to be in more-or-less agreement that its a good thing. I dont think having a similar punishment for domestic violence, assault and terrorising a child is unreasonable.

And this!
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:02 pm

The problem I have with the debate in this thread is that most of the people arguing against Lodge are either biased against the Broncos or Lodge in particular (in Ryno's case).

Personally, I don't have an auto ban on Lodge as captain and often in these situations the perspective gained and lesson's learned COULD shape the bloke into a highly successful and beneficial leader - particularly with such a young team.

All that aside, my choice is Alex Glenn.
    If I believed every rumour I read, he is already out the door but thankfully I'm not a moronic idiot.

In my opinion, the bloke had one of, if not his best seasons and with Gillett potentially struggling to ever gain back the aggressive edge that his game was founded on, it will be important Glenn remains to lead the team.
    As for his age....please...he has only just ticked over 31 and is in supreme nick (almost to the point of turning old OSM!), with limited injury history.

Macca another one that could go either way and thus a potential candidate for FBC.
    Based on last years effort, FAC was completely left behind and I personally think his service was a big factor in our demise.
    That said, blokes don't just play over 250 games without learning a few things and I suspect he will either work his arse off over the off season, or he will fall even further in a heap and be battling for a position in the Dolphins starting team.

Regardless of what I think from the outside looking in, it appears Siebold will pick the captain based on who has the best leadership qualities.
    And that may well still be Boyd.
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:18 pm

Ice wrote:This
    Ice wrote:And this!

Nothing but truth bombs.

Oz Sport Mad wrote:All that aside, my choice is Alex Glenn.

I thought it should have been him years back instead of Thaiday tbh. He was great as (c) in the baby bronco origin week era and I think he was our Toyota Cup captain the year Dugan and Croker beat our stacked side in the GF. Would also be the most visually appealing captain in the league.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:26 pm

ryno_ wrote:

Not sure if youre replying to the first paragraph or the second tbh.

But not at all - It sucks that not everyone who is actually guilty gets found guilty and punished but at the end of the day, you have to have _some_ kind of faith in our court/justice system and I believe that its the best avenue for determining if someone is worthy of punishment or not. Its not perfect (obviously) and im sure it misses occaisionally (the Bird or GI defence for eg) but I trust it a lot more then systems so famously inconsistent and untransparent as sporting bodies (across the board) to determine guilt or not.  

That's the thing though, right? The whole point of the court system is to dole out the appropriate punishment on behalf of, and for the sake of, the community. I really don't get this need for a further unwritten 'social punishment' through trying to take away career opportunities that a large amount of current 'woke' (for lack of a better word) society is so desperate to enact, obviously there are certain situations where certain convictions make certain positions untenable, but otherwise, they receive the punishment that society deemed appropriate, they serve out the punishment given to them, and from there they should be allowed to resume their life.

Trying to compare the David Warner thing is silly, it's a whole different kettle of fish, the whole reason he's barred from leadership positions is because he actively abused his power as a senior member to convince a young member of the team to cheat, see my comment above 'certain convictions make certain positions untenable', he proved himself directly incapable of being a leader, so he won't be.

Again, I'd be a lot less cynical of the positions held by certain people in this thread if the Tigers thread had been lit up when Packer was considered leadership material, but it wasn't.

Last edited by surmo13 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:50 pm

Badel is reporting that Glenn will knock back bigger offers to stay at the Broncos.

Being offered the captaincy may seal the deal.... I hope that is the way they go.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:57 pm

my tv broke wrote:Badel is reporting that Glenn will knock back bigger offers to stay at the Broncos.

Being offered the captaincy may seal the deal.... I hope that is the way they go.

From a pure 'clubman' perspective, it'd be a great appointment and a welcome reward for his loyalty to the team, from an on-field perspective, i don't know how we find a starting spot for him to make that call, at full-strength our locked in second row has to be Gillet-Fifita-Pangai, he filled in admirably at centre at the back-end, but it's not his position.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:08 pm

surmo13 wrote:

From a pure 'clubman' perspective, it'd be a great appointment and a welcome reward for his loyalty to the team, from an on-field perspective, i don't know how we find a starting spot for him to make that call, at full-strength our locked in second row has to be Gillet-Fifita-Pangai, he filled in admirably at centre at the back-end, but it's not his position.

The rumours after 58-0 were that Gillett won't be starting next year. Probably all meaningless click bait, but I wouldn't be surprised if that eventuates.

I'd be happy with
    11. Glenn
    12. Fifita
    13. Pangai

Titans
    12. Gillett

You could argue that Pangai makes a better edge forward though, with Carrigan starting lock....
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:53 pm

If Lodge doesn't get the captaincy I'm more than happy with Glenn. He was virtually out the door last year and now is looking likely to stay (again). After those two I really don't see any other good candidates.

Current date/time is Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:51 am