NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:29 am

If i had to choose who to retain, I agree it would certainly be a no brainer......and would clearly be Glenn.

The bloke is in great nick has had limited injury issues over the years and will thus be at his prime for probably the next 3 years IMO.

Oates is a great player and despite what he has publicly discussed (potentially at the request of his management, mid-negotiations)....I personally think he would struggle in the forwards these days.

Can't see him having the best lateral movement to defend anywhere but the wing now and if he's strength is the way he hits it up, then he should remain a winger (where he is an Origin rep no less).
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:39 am

At his prime 12 years into his career? Slow burner.
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:49 pm

I don't know why Oates playing in the forwards is considered better for the team. At wing he gets to make 20 runs a game, is fast enough to stay on the wing for now, is solid under the high ball, and is one of the best finishers in the game. As far as I'm concerned he should stay on the wing until he's too slow for that position ala Luke Lewis and Reuben Wiki, and then he can move into the forwards. I'm sure Oates can cause some damage in the second row if his body holds up, but generally speaking, no second rower is going to win you a comp (or even be in the main core of players who will).

The whole league is a game of moneyball. If he's doing it to try and get more money then I wouldn't cry too much if he left. It was reported last year he was the lowest paid player in origin at something around the $200K mark. I'd be surprised if Glenn is on much more than Oates, if any, and probably knows he'll always be around that price. If Oates thinks hes worth $500K+ playing in the forwards, then I'd happily let him go and wish him all the best, knowing he's a good player who might destroy us in some matches against us. But if paying him $500K+ means we have to put up with say Niko as our long term half, then I'd prefer he be replaced with a $150K winger, and we put the extra $300K towards strengthening there.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:24 pm

I might be in the minority here, but I'm happy to give our halves at least half a season without sharpening the knives.....

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:57 pm

We always here the argument the Broncos can't keep everyone. But these were contracted players not players scouts missed. http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/storm/brisbane-turned-brodie-croft-away-before-melbourne-signed-him-for-free/news-story/98be85bcbd4eb6acf1ff3fd31122b07e
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:24 am

No Worries wrote:We always here the argument the Broncos can't keep everyone. But these were contracted players not players scouts missed. http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/storm/brisbane-turned-brodie-croft-away-before-melbourne-signed-him-for-free/news-story/98be85bcbd4eb6acf1ff3fd31122b07e

Need a subscription to look at it NW, can you copy paste the players that wayne bennett literally did not want playing at the club?
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:25 am

dasherhalo wrote:I might be in the minority here, but I'm happy to give our halves at least half a season without sharpening the knives.....

Absolutely mate, people are deathriding them after one game together - against what appears to be the best halves pairing in the league so far this year.
    6/7 games will give a good indication hey? Both of them are clearly very good players - just a matter of time to see if they gel and if the way they play together suits the side.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:00 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:If i had to choose who to retain, I agree it would certainly be a no brainer......and would clearly be Glenn.

The bloke is in great nick has had limited injury issues over the years and will thus be at his prime for probably the next 3 years IMO.

Oates is a great player and despite what he has publicly discussed (potentially at the request of his management, mid-negotiations)....I personally think he would struggle in the forwards these days.

Can't see him having the best lateral movement to defend anywhere but the wing now and if he's strength is the way he hits it up, then he should remain a winger (where he is an Origin rep no less).

Lol
    His prime is a consistent 6/7 out of 10? You think he will be in his prime at 32? So that prob means 3-4 more years of not being in his prime after that before he retires at 35/36 too according to the trend there. This is the exact argument we are having regarding thaiday and co. Bennett holding on to long to players who once got the job done - at the expense of good young players. Thaiday has not been an elite player for at least 3 years. I mean fuck, tell me honestly you would rather have thaiday at this stage of his career over Wallace. Literally a decision Bennett made.

Sure, Glenn has been relatively healthy for a back rower with 9 or so years in first grade, but he is a solid player and a apparently a great locker room guy - nothing more nothing less. Losing someone like that over a young origin rep would be an absolute no brainer - even if that player is a winger.

And yep - agreed, that the issue really is money. Its not wanting to play in the forwards. He wants back rower money, not winger money.

You cant see a 23 year old having good enough lateral movement to play in the middle of the field? Where attackers generally run much straighter? hhmm

Some of the stuff some people say to defend bennett/brisbane's decisions is just so weird. They have advantages over just about every other team (whether its on or off the field) in the competition and havent won it since 2006, so clearly there are some shit decisions being made.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:03 am

ryno_ wrote:

A solid backrower, 1 year removed from being a NZ rep, team captain - or a winger. Absolute no brainer.

A near 30 year old back rower who didnt make the NZ team that was pathetic in the World cup?
    Over a young origin winger, who takes more hitups than said back rower each game? Who can potentially cover Glenn's position and at the very worst is one of the best wingers in the game? Interesting
    Ice

Post by Ice Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:30 am

Pieman wrote:

Absolutely mate, people are deathriding them after one game together - against what appears to be the best halves pairing in the league so far this year.
    6/7 games will give a good indication hey? Both of them are clearly very good players - just a matter of time to see if they gel and if the way they play together suits the side.

Actually they've played I think 13 games together and have a very good winning record, 10-3 I believe. But however good that winning record is, it's never going to be Premiership winning good, that is my only knock on them, they clearly in my view aren't a Premiership winning capable halves combo. I still think with their squad they should make the top 4. The return of a quality 9 is key. Not sure how many of those 10 wins had either Hunt or FAC starting.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:56 am

dasherhalo wrote:I might be in the minority here, but I'm happy to give our halves at least half a season without sharpening the knives.....

I'm with you. I also believe the forwards need to pull their fingers out to give our halves a chance.

Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:36 am

Is Pieface a Broncos supporter now? Spends so much time in this thread he must have a Broncos membership.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:55 pm

I actually think the Broncos will turn up tonight, will be an entirely different performance from last week. Probably be another thriller.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Moose wrote:Is Pieface a Broncos supporter now? Spends so much time in this thread he must have a Broncos membership.

He does love defending sex offenders like Fergo, so he'd look right at home in a Lodge jersey.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:24 pm

my tv broke wrote:I actually think the Broncos will turn up tonight, will be an entirely different performance from last week. Probably be another thriller.

Broncos always get up for a Cowboys game (and vice versa) but I cant see the Cowboys forward pack having any trouble steam rolling Brisbane.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Pieman wrote:

Need a subscription to look at it NW, can you copy paste the players that wayne bennett literally did not want playing at the club?

BRISBANE’S search for a long-term halfback has suffered another blow following revelations Melbourne signed Brodie Croft for free after the Storm young gun was axed by the Broncos.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Moose wrote:Is Pieface a Broncos supporter now? Spends so much time in this thread he must have a Broncos membership.

Considering Ryno is no longer a Bronco fan, someone has to pick up the slack.

Also, Surmbro - why arent you blowing up about the game not stopping for Kahu when he got KO, broke his jaw and had blood pissing out of his face?
    Oh thats right, broncos got the ball and got an advantage out of it, so play on.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:12 pm

ryno_ wrote:

He does love defending sex offenders like Fergo, so he'd look right at home in a Lodge jersey.

Ah yes, still making things up to sound cool. I forgot about that trope.
    Have you picked a new team yet mate??

No Worries wrote:

BRISBANE’S search for a long-term halfback has suffered another blow following revelations Melbourne signed Brodie Croft for free after the Storm young gun was axed by the Broncos.

lol
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:26 pm

Pieman wrote:
    Considering Ryno is no longer a Bronco fan, someone has to pick up the slack.
    Replaced one whining little bitch with another. Great.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:28 pm

Denver Broncos have been great tonight

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 5:22 am