NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

The bad behaviour thread

Krump
    Krump

The bad behaviour thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The bad behaviour thread

Post by Krump Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:03 pm

I wouldn't mind harsher penalties for people who screw around the NRL and courts trying to get their case adjourned and then end up pleading guilty anyway.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:08 pm

Krump wrote:It amazes me that vaccination isn't mandatory.

You essentially have to do it if you're on welfare which is ironic because it's not the poor who are dumb enough to be anti-vax.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:12 pm

Dip wrote:Such a tough one with the DeBelin case. I mean a player who might ultimately be found innocent (Lafranchi, Inglis etc) shouldn't be punished, but it just is such a bad look. And you do need to take a charge more seriously than an accusation as well. The Lafranchi case took like a year didn't it? You can't suspend them for all that time waiting for the court appearance if they're pleading not guilty.

Perhaps the answer is that depending on the penalty for a crime, if you're charged then there is a required minimum time without playing (not technically a suspension), even if it is under the guise of "allowing the player adequate time to prepare for their upcoming case and ensure the welfare of all parties involved". For example, if you get charged with DUI, then maybe there is a minimum 1-2 week non-selection period. DV or assault 2-4 weeks, Rape 8 weeks etc. They can still train, appear at matches etc, just not play. If they are found guilty, then time already taken off counts as part of their suspension served.

Firstly, let's not confuse innocent and not-guilty.

It'd be an easy sell if the player was told he had to stand down, agreed to it and then fronted the media "I have decided to stand down" "This is my decision and club are happy to stand by it and stand by me" "Not fair on the team" "I can't put 100% into a game while these allegations are hanging over my head" "Having an effect on my mental state" etc etc.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:51 pm

When was Inglis ever found to be innocent ?
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:57 pm

filthridden wrote:

Firstly, let's not confuse innocent and not-guilty.

It'd be an easy sell if the player was told he had to stand down, agreed to it and then fronted the media "I have decided to stand down" "This is my decision and club are happy to stand by it and stand by me" "Not fair on the team" "I can't put 100% into a game while these allegations are hanging over my head" "Having an effect on my mental state" etc etc.

Absolutely on point 1.

For point 2 the player doesn't even have to do that, the NRL can (and should) using the same reasons. "We make no judge on guilt, and everyone is entitled to the presumption of innocence until found guilty. These measures are implemented solely so the player can concentrate fully on the case on hand and their mental state, while still being allowed to train and be in the club environment. Professional sport is difficult enough without having to worry about not being 100% ready for the game and possibly letting down your team mates"
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:03 pm

I understand where you are coming from Dip but my thoughts are that any attempt at making 'set rules' for standing down blokes that are charged and awaiting court appearances is simply bound to end in tears.

There are too many variables to remotely come close to covering even half of the possible scenarios.

In my view, if it is serious enough and obvious enough e.g. the CCTV footage of Fergo or Ben Stokes springs to mind or somebody has a hard drive off dodgy shit seized etc. etc. then fair play to stand them down.....if they haven't already done so themselves.

Otherwise, leave them go about their occupation and let the courts decide.

It's certainly not a free pass or a case of 'getting to enjoy the spotlight' scenario during that period anyway, as some people argue.
    You may even find innocent blokes step aside because they are sick of answering questions about it throughout the year or it affects their form and they are dropped.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:35 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

It's certainly not a free pass or a case of 'getting to enjoy the spotlight' scenario during that period anyway, as some people argue.
    You may even find innocent blokes step aside because they are sick of answering questions about it throughout the year or it affects their form and they are dropped.

yep this.

not to mention, if you were accused but were innocent, the opposing teams fans going at your for being a rapist would be pretty hard to take even if you did have have thick skin

Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

Post by Pain Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:41 pm

Haasta la vista baby
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:02 am

good to see the broncos sweeping another incident under the rug

Payne refused to cooperate with the integrity unit, but what were they into him for?

Surely players cant just say no to cooperating, cop a very short suspension and relatively small fine - then play on?

ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:12 am

Pieman wrote:good to see the broncos sweeping another incident under the rug

Payne refused to cooperate with the integrity unit, but what were they into him for?

Surely players cant just say no to cooperating, cop a very short suspension and relatively small fine - then play on?

If only there was a website you could type keywords into that would search the internet for information based on those keywords... It would certainly help reduce the number of "but what were they into him for?" questions. Someone should make one.

JFGI wrote:Haas “became embroiled in twin off-field incidents involving violence between September and November last year”

One is allegedly a personal dispute involving family members while the other relates to a brawl at a Queensland Rugby League semi-final last year that involved his brother and sisters.

While Haas was not directly involved in the brawl, he was purportedly in close quarters to it.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:24 am

What's taken so long ? Assuming the integrity unit is advised end of Nov. and someone says "yeah his family are always in blues, they were in that brawl at the cup semi back in Sept." They investigate for a month, go on holidays over Xmas / New Year for a month and he dodges them for a month ? Seems like a long time to find out nothing.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:51 am

I don't like the precedent of 2-4 weeks suspension for refusing to cooperate with the integrity commission. It should be treated like DD, if you refuse to give a sample its automatic high range.
    Which club was it with the administrator who quit just to avoid questioning over salary cap discrepancies?
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:05 am

No Worries wrote:What's taken so long ? Assuming the integrity unit is advised end of Nov. and someone says "yeah his family are always in blues, they were in that brawl at the cup semi back in Sept." They investigate for a month, go on holidays over Xmas / New Year for a month and he dodges them for a month ? Seems like a long time to find out nothing.

To be fair, the Integrity unit has been pretty flat out over the offseason.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:35 am

ryno_ wrote:

To be fair, the Integrity unit has been pretty flat out over the offseason.

lol!

Fair point
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:29 am

I actually think it was good of the Broncos to suspend him for 4 weeks. From the reports I read he wasn’t involved directly he was just there. If he cooperates he probably doesn’t get suspended so 4 weeks and 20k is pretty decent punishment.

Still think clubs should have no say the the NRL should control it all
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:31 pm

ryno_ wrote:

If only there was a website you could type keywords into that would search the internet for information based on those keywords... It would certainly help reduce the number of "but what were they into him for?" questions. Someone should make one.

Sorry we dont get the courier mail or have Ask Jeeves in NSW mate
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:39 pm

Not sure why the Broncos are getting criticised here. There is no suggestion Haas did anything wrong that could have lead to disciplinary action. $20K and 4 weeks for the likes of Fafita, Sua etc to lay their claims ahead of him is pretty severe punishment for not ratting on his family members in a hearing which might result in them getting a lifetime ban from attending rugby league matches.

This is quite clearly different to saying "I don't remember nothin'" in an accusation against themself.

It's basically the same as when Munster was suspended from QLD origin a couple of years back for not saying who else went out drinking with him.

A few of years ago Cronulla players got banned for admitting to taking banned stimulants, but they didn't get suspended for a year of not dobbing in others in the playing group who did the same thing as them. The NZ players didn't get banned for not dobbing in Bromwich, Proctor and the other bloke (maybe SKD????) for smashing the nose beers after the Trans-Tasman test.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:16 pm

Dip wrote:Not sure why the Broncos are getting criticised here. There is no suggestion Haas did anything wrong that could have lead to disciplinary action. $20K and 4 weeks for the likes of Fafita, Sua etc to lay their claims ahead of him is pretty severe punishment for not ratting on his family members in a hearing which might result in them getting a lifetime ban from attending rugby league matches.

This is quite clearly different to saying "I don't remember nothin'" in an accusation against themself.

It's basically the same as when Munster was suspended from QLD origin a couple of years back for not saying who else went out drinking with him.

A few of years ago Cronulla players got banned for admitting to taking banned stimulants, but they didn't get suspended for a year of not dobbing in others in the playing group who did the same thing as them. The NZ players didn't get banned for not dobbing in Bromwich, Proctor and the other bloke (maybe SKD????) for smashing the nose beers after the Trans-Tasman test.

Other than Pieman's illogical nonsense, most are applauding the Broncos for once again being the benchmark both on and off the field.

Star player who had done nothing wrong other than some foolish loyalty to his family, as opposed to Newie who let Andrew Johns play his entire career despite knowing what he was up to....pretty clear who should be walking the moral high ground in this instance.

In a year or so's time when this is but a distant memory, Haas will probably be thankful the Broncos put him on the right track.
    This (as opposed to cheating the cap) is why we can keep blokes for under's.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:38 pm

:troll:
    bluetige
    bluetige

Post by bluetige Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:07 am

I know he's not a first grader but he was in the Broncos squad and has now been jailed for 2 years for assault. He sounds like a bad boy as he has past indiscretions.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/myles-taueli-has-been-jailed-for-two-years-over-an-assault-on-christmas-day/news-story/07e6f72707c8f1e8296b973a54d68fcc

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:12 am