NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4

Warriors
    Warriors

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4 - Page 5 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4

Post by Warriors Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Fortitude wrote:Forgive me if this has been covered, I haven't had the chance to read through all resources.

Looking at putting together my starting team and am considering my options. Last year I ballsed up right from the start, burnt 2 trades most weeks trying to catch up. Then faded hard at end of season.

2016 was the year of the Fake Cash Cow, so many names got thrown around, some delivered, many did not, it seemed I chose mostly the wrong ones. Sure I wasn't the only one. I took the approach of Guns or Cows. not a lot in between.

2017 plan. Along with Guns and Cows, I will be selecting a number of players I can set and forget. Players that carry minimal risk, useful for bye coverage, low risk of price drop and can keep the score board ticking over 35+ minimum. few players that spring to mind (by no means the ideal or front runners). Whitehead (upper end of $$) Jthompson. Tapine, G burgess.  I expect these players to drift in and out of my team as it develops. Few DPPS in there to help out.

Is this sound thinking?

My approach is below.

1) Pick Captain Cameron Smith
    2) Pick Sam Burgess
    3) Pick Jarryd Hayne
    4) Pick RTS
    5) Pick Idris
    6) Pick LG
    7) Pick 1 value gun in FRF (potential for top 4 FRF at end of year)
    Cool Pick 1 gun half (take your pick based on gut feel, this player is in your team all year, top 4 half at end of year)

9) Wait until TLT and pick cash cows. There is a lot of luck here as to which ones to pick - generally halves, centres, fullbacks, big minute hookers and second rowers go well. try to avoid young props if you can and wingers (unless they are tackle break machines playing for a good side).

10) Pick your second hooker depending on TLT
    11) Fill the rest of your squad with mid range value picks you hope will improve e.g AFB, Hess, Mata'utia, Manly 2RF, Cowboys Prop, J Wallace, Tapine, G Burgess, Prior, D Saifiti, ET, Lamb, Moses, Gutherson, Whare, Slater etc etc.
    12) Hope for the best

multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4 - Page 5 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4

Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:07 pm

If you are going to pick mid rangers they have to have an upside. No point picking players that aren't quite keepers that you need to trade out that also won't make you money. Joel Thompson is a terrible pick. No chance he starts playing more minutes and improves his 40 point average and isn't good enough to be in your final 17
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:12 pm

I reckon Jarrad Kennedy is a good shot for the Manly 2rf spot but I have Nathan Green fears about anyone who starts rnd 1 2rf for manly.
    Sik
    Sik

Post by Sik Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:13 pm

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4 - Page 5 Img_3010

First crack. Pull me to pieces please?
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Somebody give me the lowdown on Wallace please?

Someone mentioned he might be playing Lock? scratch
    Scouter
    Scouter

Post by Scouter Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:14 pm

Was quite excited about the prospect of Connor Watson as a mid ranger with great upside until i remembered that hack Luke Keary had signed with the Roosters. Rolling Eyes
    Sik
    Sik

Post by Sik Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:15 pm

CTR position is very light. Just on a quick reflection, bit lighter at WFB, and spend more at CTR?
    Sik
    Sik

Post by Sik Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Who is hooking at the sharks?
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Sik wrote:Who is hooking at the sharks?

At this stage it would appear Mortimer with Brailey on the bench, but there is still questions over whether the Sharks will get Segeyaro. With Barba gone, they might have the money to pay the transfer fee? I am not really up to speed on where that is at.

Sik
    Sik

Post by Sik Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:21 pm

my tv broke wrote:

At this stage it would appear Mortimer with Brailey on the bench, but there is still questions over whether the Sharks will get Segeyaro. With Barba gone, they might have the money to pay the transfer fee? I am not really up to speed on where that is at.

I remember the Seg rumours. But like you, not really up to speed. So Cherrington. It really a shot?
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:23 pm

Sik wrote:CTR position is very light. Just on a quick reflection, bit lighter at WFB, and spend more at CTR?
    Idris, Whare, Hayne,RTS and whoever plays fb for the storm. Starting Centres and WFB for 900k

Better make that a million. Somebody can't count
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:29 pm

Sik wrote:CTR position is very light. Just on a quick reflection, bit lighter at WFB, and spend more at CTR?

Yep, too much cash in your 4th and 5th WFB then I would be comfortable with when seeing Rennings is a starting centre for you.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:32 pm

my tv broke wrote:

Mortimer and Brailey were named for this weekend trial, but Cherrington is at the 9s and would otherwise be a consideration. I'd back Brailey and Mortimer to both play over Cherrington though

Nu Brown is playing 5/8th this weekend and is another possibility for utility on the bench when the season starts.
    Sik
    Sik

Post by Sik Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:32 pm

SI wrote:

Yep, too much cash in your 4th and 5th WFB then I would be comfortable with when seeing Rennings is a starting centre for you.

Yeah. Rennings and Whare were arse about. But I totally agree. Too rear end heavy. I mean I do like a heavy rear end. But not so much for fantasy.
    Johnny B Goode
    Johnny B Goode

Post by Johnny B Goode Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:38 pm

Hello everyone, good to be back for another Fantasy year. Don't think I'll be insanely obsessed with chopping and changing my team only to scrap it all come Round 1 this year. I'll have a run through of all the help guides here soon but no really there's a distinct lack of stand-out cash cows this year. I feel like I'm just gambling on mid-rangers everywhere just to start with  

Got Cam King at HOK for now for instance. Hear he's training good and well no offence to IDG but King could offer a lot more if his body holds up and he gets a spot.

Gurgess is in my FRF as I believe 2016 was a really off year for him and on his day he's at least a 50pt average player so potentially undervalued. Frank Pritchard and Jarrod Wallace make up my FRF reserves, FP for the fact nobody else is good and well Wallace ain't a great scorer but new starting role could help him. Might be able to pick someone cheaper with more upside though.  

2RF really sucks I think. JDB alongside cheapies and mid-rangers. Hess, Arrow, Luciano Leilua and Stimson make up my mid-rangers alongside my risky venture of Kenny Bromwich. Proctor's departure opens up an 80 minute back-rower role for him and he's a pretty decent line runner.  

HLF's are Moses, Gutherson, Lamb and Elgey. Best I could do given the options I feel, Lamb was a pretty solid scorer when he played last year and has more potential for cash than just about anyone else around the same price range. Mortimer is an option if he starts at HOK for the Sharks though

CTR's going for the popular picks like Idris and Whare. Robert Jennings as the cheapie and for lack of anyone else. Tossing up the last spot. Thinking of picking the Black Widow again because well SST is out for a while and if Ryan Matterson takes a bench spot then he's become the new Mr Fix it and Aubo will remain in the 2RF. Sione Mata'utia is another option and I've even considered Jordan Kahu because he'll take over the goal-kicking duties for the Broncos.  

WFB's well all the popular picks. Slater, Hayne, Holmes and RTS with Dylan Pythian as a potential cash cow.

Oh yeah and I made this team with the idea of fitting both Smith and Fifita in. Never marching into Fantasy battle without them

Last edited by Johnny B Goode on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Sik wrote:2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4 - Page 5 Img_3010

First crack. Pull me to pieces please?

For me, there's too much money outside your starting 17. You want to make money but you also want to maximise your points. No point making a heap of money and being 1,000 points behind by the time you get to start using it.

For instance: I wouldn't have that strong a back 3 + 2 reserves who could also start.
    Based on your team I would guess you'd have a reserve bench including both Slater and Gutherson that leaves several of your scoring forwards outside the 17.
    Save money there to upgrade your overstock of mid rangers
    (I'm looking at JWH, Wallace, AFB, Lane, Buhrer, SiMat, Hodko, Whare - who I am pretty sure is injured and won't start rd 1).
    Sik
    Sik

Post by Sik Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks filth!
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Haven't posted a draft yet so here it is

Smith, Hodgson
    Fifita, Gurgess, AFB, Hoare
    JDB, KBrom, Sione, Arrow, Kennedy, Stimson
    Norman, Lamb, Elgey, Higano
    Idris, Whare, Olive, Drew
    Gutherson, RTS, Hayne, Phythian, Jennings
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Johnny B Goode wrote:Hello everyone, good to be back for another Fantasy year. Don't think I'll be insanely obsessed with chopping and changing my team only to scrap it all come Round 1 this year. I'll have a run through of all the help guides here soon but no really there's a distinct lack of stand-out cash cows this year. I feel like I'm just gambling on mid-rangers everywhere just to start with  

Got Cam King at HOK for now for instance. Hear he's training good and well no offence to IDG but King could offer a lot more if his body holds up and he gets a spot.

Gurgess is in my FRF as I believe 2016 was a really off year for him and on his day he's at least a 50pt average player so potentially undervalued. Frank Pritchard and Jarrod Wallace make up my FRF reserves, FP for the fact nobody else is good and well Wallace ain't a great scorer but new starting role could help him. Might be able to pick someone cheaper with more upside though.  

2RF really sucks I think. JDB alongside cheapies and mid-rangers. Hess, Arrow, Luciano Leilua and Stimson make up my mid-rangers alongside my risky venture of Kenny Bromwich. Proctor's departure opens up an 80 minute back-rower role for him and he's a pretty decent line runner.  

HLF's are Moses, Gutherson, Lamb and Elgey. Best I could do given the options I feel, Lamb was a pretty solid scorer when he played last year and has more potential for cash than just about anyone else around the same price range. Mortimer is an option if he starts at HOK for the Sharks though

CTR's going for the popular picks like Idris and Whare. Robert Jennings as the cheapie and for lack of anyone else. Tossing up the last spot. Thinking of picking the Black Widow again because well SST is out for a while and if Ryan Matterson takes a bench spot then he's become the new Mr Fix it and Aubo will remain in the 2RF. Sione Mata'utia is another option and I've even considered Jordan Kahu because he'll take over the goal-kicking duties for the Broncos.  

WFB's well all the popular picks. Slater, Hayne, Holmes and RTS with Dylan Pythian as a potential cash cow.  

Oh yeah and I made this team with the idea of fitting both Smith and Fifita in. Never marching into Fantasy battle without them

Welcome back JBG Very Happy

With Fifita, I know everyone would like him to start, but doesn't he normally start quite slow and drop coin? 2014/15 I'm pretty sure he did. I didn't have him last year and haven't checked, but did he also drop money in the 1st month or so? I could be wrong, anyone who started with him last year remember?
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:58 pm

SI wrote:

Welcome back JBG Very Happy

With Fifita, I know everyone would like him to start, but doesn't he normally start quite slow and drop coin?  2014/15 I'm pretty sure he did.  I didn't have him last year and haven't checked, but did he also drop money in the 1st month or so?  I could be wrong, anyone who started with him last year remember?

If you start with Fifita it doesn't matter if he drops coin or not, as you won't be trading him out unless he gets injured/suspended

You can start without him and hope to take a punt on him dropping some cash and picking him up cheap - but there's every chance he starts well and you just have to watch him draft out of affordability range

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:29 pm