NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

mattnz
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 5 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

Post by mattnz Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:48 pm

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:

To paraphrase the interview "he is training the house down and he is pushing for a spot in the 17" Essentially - a rookie bench prop is a rookie bench prop. Even if they play 20 - 30 minutes they do not score enough to be worthwhile. I bet you have had loads of these players in your team before Matt. He would need to displace King, Knight, Curran, and Edwards to get a starting spot to be of value.

Fight the trap cheer  

I dare you to not select Hughes. I started with Preston last season, even just off the bench, expecting him to get the role he got.

Curran will have a big minute role, but may get some time on the EDG as well, for Kikau.

Knight is a journeyman who has never locked in a big minute role. He averaged 31 minutes last season and even as starting prop last year, he only averaged 37 minutes. I can see Hughes getting more minutes than Knight, even off the bench.

King was typically getting about 45 minutes at the end of last season.

Edwards isn't even top 30, or in development squad.

Bulldogs have lost TPJ, Thompson, Waddell and RFM since last season. The minutes are up for grabs and by all accounts from insiders, Hughes is in contention to take them.
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 5 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:56 pm

mattnz wrote:

I dare you to not select Hughes. I started with Preston last season, even just off the bench, expecting him to get the role he got.

Curran will have a big minute role, but may get some time on the EDG as well, for Kikau.

Knight is a journeyman who has never locked in a big minute role. He averaged 31 minutes last season and even as starting prop last year, he only averaged 37 minutes. I can see Hughes getting more minutes than Knight, even off the bench.

King was typically getting about 45 minutes at the end of last season.

Edwards isn't even top 30, or in development squad.

Bulldogs have lost TPJ, Thompson, Waddell and RFM since last season. The minutes are up for grabs and by all accounts from insiders, Hughes is in contention to take them.

You're on Matt - I will not own Hughes at any stage of the season if you agree to keep him in your team the whole Leniu-ish season that he plays 20 - 30 minutes on the bench with a ceiling of 28 and a floor of 18.

EDIT: Just to fact check. In most seasons that Knight has started at PROP he has averaged 50 minutes Razz Razz  Hughes has also got Patolo and Ryan Sutton to go after Harrison Razz Razz I also heard Gus Gould talking up new signing, top 30 addition, and Prestons old team mate Zac Montgomery - there is another one cheer cheer

Go on Matt ... put your money where your mouth is cheer

PS Thanks for the hot top about Knight! Looks to be about 12 points undervalued!!! sunny
    OB
    OB

Post by OB Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:33 pm

On another note.
    Anyone want a "Fog God" avatar?

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 5 Fog_go11

Last edited by Obbeats on Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:56 pm

I was on Hughes before Matt
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:00 pm

my tv broke wrote:I was on Hughes before Matt
    lol!

Deal stands for you too MTB cheer

Its not like Matt to run away from a challenge Laugh
    OB
    OB

Post by OB Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:21 pm

lol!

Deal stands for you too MTB cheer

Its not like Matt to run away from a challenge Laugh

I'm the one who had him on my team list and you haven't even thrown the gauntlet down with me. Rolling Eyes
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:27 pm

Everyone's been on Hughes since Gus opened his mouth. The Matt/Dolphin teams disappointingly non-poddy so far, presumably you're going to win it with patient, value-added trading this year.
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:28 pm

Obbeats wrote:

I'm the one who had him on my team list and you haven't even thrown the gauntlet down with me. Rolling Eyes

It's OK - It would have been fun to see Matt sabotage his team from the outset with his bold prediction - but it was equally enjoyable seeing him lurk with his tail between his legs! You saw it from MattNZ himself - Hughes is off the menu Very Happy
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:35 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:Everyone's been on Hughes since Gus opened his mouth. The Matt/Dolphin teams disappointingly non-poddy so far, presumably you're going to win it with patient, value-added trading this year.

Cobbo (2.5%) and Tedesco (1.9%) are pretty PODdy if I do say so myself. Not too many people are on Harris (2.4%)
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:41 pm

Cobbo (2.5%) and Tedesco (1.9%) and pretty PODdy if I do say so myself. Not too many people are on Harris (2.4%)

Meh. True Dolphin pods are in who you don't have (Cleary, Curran, Schuster, Papy etc) rather than who you do.
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:45 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:

Meh. True Dolphin pods are in who you don't have (Cleary, Curran, Schuster, Papy etc) rather than who you do.

Well... I am not on Hughes that's for freakin sure.. I worked out that the POD boycotts do not really work because everyone just jumps off them when they start playing shit - Personally, I think fantasy would be enhanced if you had to take a player on like a minimum 4-week contract or something like that - just to stop the opportunist bull shit
    Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

Post by Teeth Eater Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:05 pm

Cobbo (2.5%) and Tedesco (1.9%) are pretty PODdy if I do say so myself. Not too many people are on Harris (2.4%)

Cobbo and Teddy definitely stood out to me as very interesting choices. Teddy is actually pretty "cheap," but not sure if that is under value, or just a reflection of his current place in the game. Owned him from R1 through to the end last year and can't recall more than a couple of weeks where I enjoyed it. Not to say I won't target him at some point this year, but happy to not have him from R1, even when he scores 87.
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:13 pm

Teeth Eater wrote:

Cobbo and Teddy definitely stood out to me as very interesting choices. Teddy is actually pretty "cheap," but not sure if that is under value, or just a reflection of his current place in the game. Owned him from R1 through to the end last year and can't recall more than a couple of weeks where I enjoyed it. Not to say I won't target him at some point this year, but happy to not have him from R1, even when he scores 87.

I can see Cobbo wreaking havoc transitioning from WNG to CTR and will get his hands on the ball much more often. I can see him working off the running game of Walsh and Mam in particular very well in attack and super solid in defence. Added to that we will be DPP WFB/CTR gives extra flexibility if one of my cheapie CTRS duds it

Teddy scored very well in the second half of last season. If he starts next season the same way, he will be unattainable after a few weeks. He comes at a discount because of the first half of the year
    Tigs
    Tigs

Post by Tigs Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:26 pm

Camo123 wrote:

How would Talau starting create another option for CTR in fantasy

Talau should never be an option for any form of nrl fantasy imo
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:31 pm

I've been on Hughes since the start.

Mostly because the autopicker put him in my team and I haven't changed it.
    I'm also on Viliami Fifita, so make of that what you will
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:31 pm

Tigs wrote:

Talau should never be an option for any form of nrl fantasy imo

Post more
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:36 pm

Camo123 wrote:
    Strange is much closer than Iro. I think Iro chat purely came off Amateurs putting him in predicted team with no evidence. Strange and Weekes is just a shootout in trials

Iro was talked up a bit 12 months ago as someone who might get a run at some point during the year.
    Didn't really get a chance last year but could get a go this year. He's a year older, and they've lost Connor Tracey who was high up the list as backline replacement
    L-Jimmy
    L-Jimmy

Post by L-Jimmy Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:39 pm

Tohu Harris?

Ageing middle forward?

Really expensive?

Bad injury history?

Playing in a relatively strong pack with lots of backup?

Key leader, so needs to be kept with the playing group and will be minute-managed?

Dependent on massive tackle counts and fast hands for big scores?

Sign me the fuck up!
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:06 am

L-Jimmy wrote:

Tohu Harris?

Vegetarians enjoy the privilege of a long career and rapid injury recovery

Ageing middle forward?

Everyone is aging "Little Jimmy" even you will be big one day - at 32 he is hardly ready for the scrap heap

Really expensive?

736k is a bargain considering the low minute games he played earlier in the seasons. From Round 10 onwards who else is gonna give you that output for that price - keeper with a 5 point upside

Bad injury history?

Club, with access to all his medical records, recently resigned him for the 2025 season.

Playing in a relatively strong pack with lots of backup?

Gained Kurt Capwell (EDG) - Lost a big minute MID in Curran - Simon Mannering-ish aura on the field matching his capacity to score consistent 60s

Key leader, so needs to be kept with the playing group and will be minute-managed?

That is MattNZ-like logic there Little Jimmy

Dependent on massive tackle counts and fast hands for big scores?

A reliable MID with high base stats - sounds good to me

Sign me the fuck up!

eat your heart out Jimmy

L-Jimmy
    L-Jimmy

Post by L-Jimmy Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:23 am

wishful thinking follows:

Dude, this is the same issue I sometimes have with beth and matt.

By all means make your own bad calls, but stop trying to drag others down with you on the basis of nested assumptions.

Impressionable folks (like me) read these forums and need protecting from loudmouthed I-want-to-be-correct-so-I'll-argue-until-others-fuck-off-from-boredom-and-better-things-to-do types.

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:12 pm