NRL Fantasy Fanatics



Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Mulvy
    Mulvy
    Moderator

    Posts : 22225
    Reputation : 13586
    Join date : 2016-01-26
    Location : Mulvania

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by Mulvy Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:13 pm

    I wonder if we should be concerned about the departure of Matt Moylan from the Sharks, affecting Hynes scoring. Is Trindall the likely replacement? Hynes and Trindall played the last six games together last year which gives a bit to go on. KMs would be the main concern.

    Earlier in the year Hynes was kicking 440 KMs per game, compared with 295KMs in the last six games when he was along side Trindall (a decrease of 145kms). In those last six games, Trindall averaged 233KMs compared to Moylan who averaged 74KMs (an increase of 159kms).

    If these numbers ring true, Trindall at five-eighth could be the direct cause of about a five point decrease in scoring for Hynes. I can't quite remember, but Hynes might have been carrying a strain of some sort, so this may all be over blown.

    But, that's just KMs. Would he affect playmaking more or less than Moylan? It might not affect Hynes that much, but it's a risk, and when you pay for the most expensive player in fantasy, you expect top of the range scores. I also don't expect Trindall to take the goal kicking away from Hynes, but if I remember correctly, Hynes had a pretty unhappy stretch for a while there with the boot, so it's always a risk as well.

    I was tempted to run with both Cleary and Hynes, but it's a lot of cap, and with the above possible risks, thinking I'll just run Cleary.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy
    Moderator

    Posts : 22225
    Reputation : 13586
    Join date : 2016-01-26
    Location : Mulvania

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by Mulvy Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:33 pm

    Bethany_B wrote:

    Apparently they're going to put Herbie on the right and Avo on the left, which if true makes Bostock a semi-decent pick and makes Isaako a huge trap.

    The Rd3 bye is a bit annoying for Bostok (or any cow with an early bye). I feel like one of the lessons from last year was early byes for cash cows really stalls their momentum. Two weeks is a long time in fantasy land and given most cash cows are fringe first graders, there's no guarantee they'll be named two weeks later/increased risk of a training injury/increased risk getting in trouble with the law etc. And if they didn't put up a good score before the bye, you could be waiting ages for a price rise which never comes.
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

    Posts : 7250
    Reputation : 3151
    Join date : 2018-02-05

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by Bethany_B Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:37 pm

    Mulvy wrote:

    The Rd3 bye is a bit annoying for Bostok (or any cow with an early bye). I feel like one of the lessons from last year was early byes for cash cows really stalls their momentum. Two weeks is a long time in fantasy land and given most cash cows are fringe first graders, there's no guarantee they'll be named two weeks later/increased risk of a training injury/increased risk getting in trouble with the law etc. And if they didn't put up a good score before the bye, you could be waiting ages for a price rise which never comes.

    Yeah that is true, and I currently don't have Bostock in my team (if he was 250k instead of 300k I might).

    Early byes will stretch WFB depth to the limit I think, with the only real value in that position being JC (round 2 bye) and Papenhuyzen (round 4 bye).
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

    Posts : 27761
    Reputation : 20254
    Join date : 2016-01-08

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by my tv broke Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:39 pm

    The only thing i remember about Bostock is that he was physically tiny. So its a no from me dawg

    Unless, of course, there are zero other worthy options, and then, it might be a yes from me dawg
    Holy Moly
    Holy Moly

    Posts : 1118
    Reputation : 688
    Join date : 2020-02-24
    Location : Laniakea

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by Holy Moly Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:09 pm

    Taumololo axed as captain. Could fire him up?

    https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cowboys-weapon-jason-taumalolo-axed-after-clubs-2023-season-flop/news-story/fa00babf0fd2f5e9152b3bcab7adc368

    Hope it's legit news.
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

    Posts : 7035
    Reputation : 7258
    Join date : 2018-03-01
    Location : Parents basement eating Cheetos

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by Aardvark Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:17 pm

    Mulvy wrote:I wonder if we should be concerned about the departure of Matt Moylan from the Sharks, affecting Hynes scoring. Is Trindall the likely replacement? Hynes and Trindall played the last six games together last year which gives a bit to go on. KMs would be the main concern.

    Earlier in the year Hynes was kicking 440 KMs per game, compared with 295KMs in the last six games when he was along side Trindall (a decrease of 145kms). In those last six games, Trindall averaged 233KMs compared to Moylan who averaged 74KMs (an increase of 159kms).

    If these numbers ring true, Trindall at five-eighth could be the direct cause of about a five point decrease in scoring for Hynes. I can't quite remember, but Hynes might have been carrying a strain of some sort, so this may all be over blown.

    But, that's just KMs. Would he affect playmaking more or less than Moylan? It might not affect Hynes that much, but it's a risk, and when you pay for the most expensive player in fantasy, you expect top of the range scores. I also don't expect Trindall to take the goal kicking away from Hynes, but if I remember correctly, Hynes had a pretty unhappy stretch for a while there with the boot, so it's always a risk as well.

    I was tempted to run with both Cleary and Hynes, but it's a lot of cap, and with the above possible risks, thinking I'll just run Cleary.

    I've not been tinkering or anything yet but was genuinely wondering when someone was going to bring this up (apologies if it has been discussed at length...I must have dozed off)
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

    Posts : 7035
    Reputation : 7258
    Join date : 2018-03-01
    Location : Parents basement eating Cheetos

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by Aardvark Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:19 pm

    Holy Moly wrote:Taumololo axed as captain. Could fire him up?

    https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cowboys-weapon-jason-taumalolo-axed-after-clubs-2023-season-flop/news-story/fa00babf0fd2f5e9152b3bcab7adc368

    Hope it's legit news.

    I'm going to go out on a limb and say no, it won't fire him up.

    If you gave his dog a sneaky tap on the nose he might get fired up.
    Holy Moly
    Holy Moly

    Posts : 1118
    Reputation : 688
    Join date : 2020-02-24
    Location : Laniakea

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by Holy Moly Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:23 pm

    Aardvark wrote:

    I'm going to go out on a limb and say no, it won't fire him up.

    If you gave his dog a sneaky tap on the nose he might get fired up.

    Sad. From captain material to cheap mid-ranger languishing amongst the non-elite forwards. Maybe I will tap his dog on the nose just before TLT.
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

    Posts : 14094
    Reputation : 4973
    Join date : 2015-10-13

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by White Lightning Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:28 pm

    just read rfm granted immediate release from contract

    signed for dragons


    Last edited by White Lightning on Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    L-Jimmy
    L-Jimmy

    Posts : 2908
    Reputation : 3589
    Join date : 2018-01-16
    Age : 41
    Location : Dili, East Timor.

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by L-Jimmy Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:39 pm

    my tv broke wrote:The only thing i remember about Bostock is that he was physically tiny. So its a no from me dawg

    Unless, of course, there are zero other worthy options, and then, it might be a yes from me dawg

    I've seen smaller wingers.

    Jack 'teenyweenytickMcSmall' Bostock:
    OB
    OB

    Posts : 810
    Reputation : 932
    Join date : 2023-06-11
    Location : Melbourne

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by OB Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:04 pm

    L-Jimmy wrote:

    I've seen smaller wingers.

    Jack 'teenyweenytickMcSmall' Bostock:

    Yeah he's not small, but from what I have heard he is rather slow for a winger.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy
    Moderator

    Posts : 22225
    Reputation : 13586
    Join date : 2016-01-26
    Location : Mulvania

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by Mulvy Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:09 pm

    White Lightning wrote:just read rfm granted immediate release from contract

    signed for dragons

    Is his fitness all good now? We thinking big minutes on an edge?
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

    Posts : 27761
    Reputation : 20254
    Join date : 2016-01-08

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by my tv broke Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:11 pm

    Obbeats wrote:

    Yeah he's not small, but from what I have heard he is rather slow for a winger.


    Am i thinking of someone else, perhaps.

    I didnt mean small in height, just slim build. Although 97kg shouldnt look slim.
    L-Jimmy
    L-Jimmy

    Posts : 2908
    Reputation : 3589
    Join date : 2018-01-16
    Age : 41
    Location : Dili, East Timor.

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by L-Jimmy Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:19 pm

    Mulvy wrote:

    Is his fitness all good now?  We thinking big minutes on an edge?

    His competition is Dan Russell, so that's not a concern. Trials will tell how RFMs legs are.
    Shady2K
    Shady2K

    Posts : 5867
    Reputation : 3221
    Join date : 2020-03-12

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by Shady2K Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:26 pm

    Holy Moly wrote:Taumololo axed as captain. Could fire him up?

    https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cowboys-weapon-jason-taumalolo-axed-after-clubs-2023-season-flop/news-story/fa00babf0fd2f5e9152b3bcab7adc368

    Hope it's legit news.

    More so bigger role for Cotter and more interested in him now as co captain
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

    Posts : 10164
    Reputation : 7678
    Join date : 2015-10-29
    Age : 31

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by multiple.scoregasms Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:52 pm

    I think the link between captaincy and minutes is tenuous at best

    Here are 2023 club captains

    Club Captain(s)
    Brisbane Broncos Adam Reynolds
    Canberra Raiders Jarrod Croker
    Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs Reed Mahoney and Matt Burton
    Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks Wade Graham and Dale Finucane
    Dolphins Jesse Bromwich
    Gold Coast Titans Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
    Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles Daly Cherry-Evans
    Melbourne Storm Christian Welch
    Newcastle Knights Kalyn Ponga and Jayden Brailey
    North Queensland Cowboys Chad Townsend and Jason Taumalolo
    Parramatta Eels Clinton Gutherson and Junior Paulo
    Penrith Panthers Isaah Yeo and Nathan Cleary
    South Sydney Rabbitohs Cameron Murray
    St. George Illawarra Dragons Ben Hunt
    Sydney Roosters James Tedesco
    New Zealand Warriors Tohu Harris
    Wests Tigers Api Koroisau

    Did any of the forwards see increased minutes?
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

    Posts : 12287
    Reputation : 8777
    Join date : 2019-07-08
    Location : Sydney

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by robelgordo Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:02 pm

    White Lightning wrote:just read rfm granted immediate release from contract

    signed for dragons

    Holy shit we made a good signing!
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

    Posts : 19709
    Reputation : 7088
    Join date : 2018-03-11

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by mattnz Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:06 am

    Holy Moly wrote:Taumololo axed as captain. Could fire him up?

    https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cowboys-weapon-jason-taumalolo-axed-after-clubs-2023-season-flop/news-story/fa00babf0fd2f5e9152b3bcab7adc368

    Hope it's legit news.

    I don't see that as a positive for his minutes. Being named as captain for a forward is often a good sign for increased minutes.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

    Posts : 19709
    Reputation : 7088
    Join date : 2018-03-11

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by mattnz Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:15 am

    Mulvy wrote:

    Is his fitness all good now?  We thinking big minutes on an edge?

    His issue was his foot, then went out of favour, was forced to play MID, with Preston the bolter last season coming through, but has said he wants to play EDG.

    If he starts EDG, would be foolish not to start with him. With Bird wanting to play CTR, and that EDG being weak otherwise last season, you would expect he should have the front running as the most experienced guy and a better player in that position than any of the other Dragons (certainly pre-injury at least).

    In 70+ minutes at EDG he averages 50, priced at $426k.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

    Posts : 13932
    Reputation : 9135
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 2 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

    Post by rhinoceroo Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:17 am

    mattnz wrote:

    I don't see that as a positive for his minutes. Being named as captain for a forward is often a good sign for increased minutes.

    It's co-captain though, isn't it? As in the other captain is a half (Dearden) who they know will be on for 80. Same as Lolo and Chad last year. Doubt it'll make the slightest difference either way.

    Captaincy is hugely overrated in pretty much all sports except cricket anyway. They're just there to talk to the ref and front up to the media, really. It's not like they're calling the plays, and team leaders/motivators (eg Munster, Jurbo) are free to lead by voice or example whether they have the armband or not.

      Current date/time is Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:48 pm