NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Aardvark Ratnick
    Aardvark Ratnick

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 21 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Post by Aardvark Ratnick Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:18 am

mattnz wrote:

You would select him with a 32 average at halfback in full games (where he wasn't hooked, scoring -3), over Boyd who is also a really handy dual HOK for $50k more, average 47?

2 guys that most jumped on last season but confirmed they will never be fantasy relevant are Ilias and Taaffe. Should be on everyone's never again list.

I have him beside Cleary ATM in my squad to start the year lets see how it pans out hey.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 21 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Post by mattnz Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:23 am

Tapine is getting lots of love on all the podcasts I have been listening to. Can see him having a huge Allstars game and most trying to fit him into their teams.

I have him in my latest draft, with a stacked MID, as there looks to be lots of value at the top end with guys that are big minute, high ppm beasts and undervalued - Tapine, Cotter, Harris, Tino.
    Honey Badger
    Honey Badger

Post by Honey Badger Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:54 am

mattnz wrote:Tapine is getting lots of love on all the podcasts I have been listening to. Can see him having a huge Allstars game and most trying to fit him into their teams.

I have him in my latest draft, with a stacked MID, as there looks to be lots of value at the top end with guys that are big minute, high ppm beasts and undervalued - Tapine, Cotter, Harris, Tino.

Without seeing the rest of your team that feels one mid gun too many. I reckon you'll need to choose between Tapine and Tino rather than starting with both of them
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:04 am

https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/02/07/nrl-team-lists-pre-season-challenge-round-1/

Trial teams have been released. I wonder if they hold any clues to waht the coaches are thinking
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:08 am

Looks like Zac Hosking is firmly in the Panthers B Team... nothing else really obvious though... the season is getting closer
    mickspicks
    mickspicks

Post by mickspicks Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:12 am

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:Looks like Zac Hosking is firmly in the Panthers B Team... nothing else really obvious though... the season is getting closer

Makes sense with their pack + Garner experience. Good depth option.
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:23 am

Well all I took from those team lists is Reimis Smith is fit and not in doubt for R1 if he's playing in a fairly B-team trial
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:34 am

My observations from the Storm team list:

* Chan and Lewis starting edges for the Storm with E Katoa on the bench, if anything this lends credence to my theory of Loiero and Sims starting on the edge in round 1, with one of the three guys named on the bench.

* Warbrick and Ieremia named on the wings would suggest that Gennings has the front running for Meaney's wing spot, but also could mean that Gennings isn't quite right coming off the ACL reconstruction. Given how long it's been (11 months) though I would suspect the former rather than the latter.

* Sualauvi Fa'alogo is one to watch in this game, playing fullback should be interesting. He won't push Meaney back to the wing or anything but this kid is very talented and one of a growing number of Victorian juniors.

I would think the second trial will have a much more first-string team so we'll see what happens then.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:35 am

Camo123 wrote:Well all I took from those team lists is Reimis Smith is fit and not in doubt for R1 if he's playing in a fairly B-team trial

Didn't realise Konrad Hurrell was back!
    mintotheimmortal
    mintotheimmortal

Post by mintotheimmortal Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:40 am

Bethany_B wrote:My observations from the Storm team list:

* Chan and Lewis starting edges for the Storm with E Katoa on the bench, if anything this lends credence to my theory of Loiero and Sims starting on the edge in round 1, with one of the three guys named on the bench.

* Warbrick and Ieremia named on the wings would suggest that Gennings has the front running for Meaney's wing spot, but also could mean that Gennings isn't quite right coming off the ACL reconstruction. Given how long it's been (11 months) though I would suspect the former rather than the latter.

* Sualauvi Fa'alogo is one to watch in this game, playing fullback should be interesting. He won't push Meaney back to the wing or anything but this kid is very talented and one of a growing number of Victorian juniors.

I would think the second trial will have a much more first-string team so we'll see what happens then.

Where is Howarth?
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:42 am

mintotheimmortal wrote:

Where is Howarth?

Not sure but I would have guessed he's lower down the pecking order given his rough year last year - wouldn't be surprised if he still isn't right after getting COVID 3 times and being badly affected by it. He's only 19 so they don't really need to rush him in just yet.

Last edited by Bethany_B on Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:43 am

mintotheimmortal wrote:

Where is Howarth?

There seems to be a lot of love for him from a fantasy perspective, I heard he was signed to an extremely large contract a season a go. Is this why? He doesn’t IRL seem close to making the starting lineup, anyone got any inside info?
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:44 am

Genderbender wrote:

There seems to be a lot of love for him from a fantasy perspective, I heard he was signed to an extremely large contract a season a go. Is this why? He doesn’t IRL seem close to making the starting lineup, anyone got any inside info?

Yeah his 500k a year deal until 2027 starts this year, but he is also only 19 and was badly affected by COVID last year (got it three times) so I wouldn't think they would feel the need to rush him in given all the other edge forwards available.

Once he does get in he'll be fantasy gold though, he's like Nanai in terms of talent (played QLD u18s with guys like Coates, SWalker and Hammer)

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:46 am

Bethany_B wrote:

Yeah his 500k a year deal until 2027 starts this year, but he is also only 19 and was badly affected by COVID last year (got it three times) so I wouldn't think they would feel the need to rush him in given all the other edge forwards available.

That’s a lot of coin for a reserve player, especially in a Storm system who seem to always be able to pay unders. Makes sense for the fantasy love though. Thanks Very Happy
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:46 am

Unless you're a guy coming back from injury, seems like a bad thing for your immediate NRL prospects to be named this week.

St Helens the most interesting side named IMO. I'm sure Panthers will beat them by 40 next week, but intrigued to see the closer Saints vs Saints clash. Hopefully there's another trophy on the line, for the Dragons to add to the Charity Shield and ANZAC Day Cup, and confirm their status as the most successful team in the rugby league world.
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:51 am

Genderbender wrote:

That’s a lot of coin for a reserve player, especially in a Storm system who seem to always be able to pay unders. Makes sense for the fantasy love though. Thanks Very Happy

At the time they signed the deal (in Jan 2022), I suspect they intended to give him a run towards the end of the 2022 season before starting him in 2023, but his COVID and injury issues would have prevented that.
    Holy Moly
    Holy Moly

Post by Holy Moly Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:53 am

I like that Boyd is named in the 7 and as captain.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:54 am

Bethany_B wrote:

At the time they signed the deal (in Jan 2022), I suspect they intended to give him a run towards the end of the 2022 season before starting him in 2023, but his COVID and injury issues would have prevented that.

With the Storm essentially buying two 2rf this season would he be played at centre if given a shot? I’ve heard he can play both quite well.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:16 am

Some blast from the past superstar surnames in that Warriors team list...

Laban, Going, Ackland, Vagana... Sio...
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:20 am

Honey Badger wrote:

Without seeing the rest of your team that feels one mid gun too many. I reckon you'll need to choose between Tapine and Tino rather than starting with both of them

Just wrote up my 2023 team tracker which is linked in my profile, where I explain my team structure and rationale.

Spending big on high end MID and HLF with value, going really cheap with value in EDG, CTR and WFB, to be able to afford the high end MIDs.

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:42 am