NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 16 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Post by rhinoceroo Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:18 pm

Bethany_B wrote:Thoughts on Meaney vs SJ?

SJ is probably better for base (he'll be doing most of the kicking for the Warriors) but Meaney is in a much better team, also kicks goals (SJ does but Meaney should get more given he's in a better team) and has a really nice early draw. Meaney also balances my team better at WFB.

Neither, thanks.
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 16 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Post by Bethany_B Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:27 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:

Neither, thanks.

Meaney averaged 45 at fullback last year when he had no time training there and in a team decimated by injury (and thus not scoring tries for him to convert), he should improve on that given the team is fully fit and he is priced at 40 (games on the wing and at 5/8 drag the average down), not to mention the Storm have a great early draw.

SJ is priced at 40 as well but the appeal with him is that with CHT and Walsh both gone, and replaced by TMM and CNK, that means SJ will do the goalkicking and the vast majority of general play kicking, meaning he doesn't even need any more attacking stats than he already has in a weak Warriors team.

I don't see what's wrong with owning one of them as a cut-price option, especially Meaney given that most people are running dirt cheap wingers with questionable job security, while he's a goalkicking fullback in a great team.
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:28 pm

multiple.scoregasms wrote:Expected to see a bit more love for Adam Elliott. Priced at 42 averaged 48.8 as a starting lock last season. New team and all but plenty of minutes freed up with Klemmer and Barnett moving on.

Might be one of those awkward guys that ends up scoring just below keeper level
    How many minutes will Mann take off him?
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:53 pm

Bethany_B wrote:

Meaney averaged 45 at fullback last year when he had no time training there and in a team decimated by injury (and thus not scoring tries for him to convert), he should improve on that given the team is fully fit and he is priced at 40 (games on the wing and at 5/8 drag the average down), not to mention the Storm have a great early draw.

SJ is priced at 40 as well but the appeal with him is that with CHT and Walsh both gone, and replaced by TMM and CNK, that means SJ will do the goalkicking and the vast majority of general play kicking, meaning he doesn't even need any more attacking stats than he already has in a weak Warriors team.

I don't see what's wrong with owning one of them as a cut-price option, especially Meaney given that most people are running dirt cheap wingers with questionable job security, while he's a goalkicking fullback in a great team.

Hot take: Storm are going to be nowhere near as good this year. You've lost too much experience (Bromwiches, Felise) and spark (Cheese, Papi) for even Bellamy to get you going from the start.

Later in the season when Papenhuyzen comes back - and if he hasn't lost his pace - and the forwards have bedded in you might be good again, but by that time Meaney will be back on the wing.

SJ... I'd need to see whether he's fit and at least occasionally running the ball before picking him up.
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:58 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:

Hot take: Storm are going to be nowhere near as good this year. You've lost too much experience (Bromwiches, Felise) and spark (Cheese, Papi) for even Bellamy to get you going from the start.

Later in the season when Papenhuyzen comes back - and if he hasn't lost his pace - and the forwards have bedded in you might be good again, but by that time Meaney will be back on the wing.

SJ... I'd need to see whether he's fit and at least occasionally running the ball before picking him up.

That's a pretty hot take, the Bromwiches were dropping off heavily and seemed mentally checked out in 2022 after they had signed to leave, same goes for Felise. I wouldn't be so quick to write them off and while obviously Papy is a loss, I think Meaney will do a fine job given he's now had a full pre-season training exclusively at fullback. We also have Welch back which is a massive in, he is our captain for a reason and losing him in round 1 was a huge blow.

As for SJ, he played 21 games in 2022 so in terms of fitness he's perfectly fine, and should get more base from the kicking I mentioned before so he doesn't even need to run the ball more than he does already. That said his team sucks and he's got a rough opening draw which is why I'm leaning towards Meaney.
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:07 pm

Moanaman wrote:No Carty Party for Round 1 :-(

https://www.zerotackle.com/bryce-cartwright-fractures-jaw-at-training-127798/amp/
    Did Doorey do it?
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:18 pm

Bethany_B wrote:

That's a pretty hot take, the Bromwiches were dropping off heavily and seemed mentally checked out in 2022 after they had signed to leave, same goes for Felise. I wouldn't be so quick to write them off and while obviously Papy is a loss, I think Meaney will do a fine job given he's now had a full pre-season training exclusively at fullback. We also have Welch back which is a massive in, he is our captain for a reason and losing him in round 1 was a huge blow.

As for SJ, he played 21 games in 2022 so in terms of fitness he's perfectly fine, and should get more base from the kicking I mentioned before so he doesn't even need to run the ball more than he does already. That said his team sucks and he's got a rough opening draw which is why I'm leaning towards Meaney.

SJ can kick the shit out the ball and still won't be scoring amazingly unless he's also setting up tries or busting a few tackles or kicking a load of conversions. He won't lose money, unless he gets injured, which is not an unknown occurrence with SJ, but his upside is limited unless the Warriors attack fires.

Not impossible that it does. Webster was Penrith's attacking coach and in interviews seems a really good one. They could well be a lot better than the always dismissive Aussie media and commentors are predicting. But there's still a wait and see on that, and they've been reamed by the draw.
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:16 pm

Is Burton over Douihe a better option since The Dogs first bye is the same as the Tiger’s second? I expect both will score similarly. Also, why is Doueihi so much more expensive when they averaged exactly the dame?
    the_great_wobbler
    the_great_wobbler

Post by the_great_wobbler Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:47 pm

The Pascoe Fiasco wrote:Is Burton over Douihe a better option since The Dogs first bye is the same as the Tiger’s second? I expect both will score similarly. Also, why is Doueihi so much more expensive when they averaged exactly the dame?

Doueihi's average was bought down by a few games starting off the interchange. Looks like FanHub has adjusted his price to account for it. For better or worse they've messed with a bunch of players prices, I.e no 520k Turbo.
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:55 pm

Happy new year everyone. Month late but oh well.

Looking forward to a better year this year……
    That should put the mockers on early
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:52 pm

easytiger wrote:

I enjoyed this.
    I almost think there's a trail off with the green, 5 games out from a bye might be fine.  Four games and it's a little less comfortable, but probably palatable, three games you'd consider it (e.g. I think people were jumping on Teddy 3 games prior to Origin 1).
    Two, would have to be very compelling, but I can imagine the odd circumstance of heavy value or just one bye remaining etc.

Anyway, I appreciated the tweak in typical bye visualization - nice work

Cheers.

I thought about green (5+games), orange (3-4), red (1-2) but it looks busy. But I think it’s a fair point. For example I would get a Teddyor DCE at R10 if he’s totally bottomed out in price then

I still haven’t grappled with how to use the info. I suspect I’ll still just ignore byes until like R8 then panic

For H2H players it looks much less complicated than for overall
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:06 pm

robelgordo wrote:

Cheers.

I thought about green (5+games), orange (3-4), red (1-2) but it looks busy. But I think it’s a fair point. For example I would get a Teddyor DCE at R10 if he’s totally bottomed out in price then

I still haven’t grappled with how to use the info. I suspect I’ll still just ignore byes until like R8 then panic

For H2H players it looks much less complicated than for overall

I think it's a great resource, mate, thanks.

Only comment would be that it might be more functional/easier on the eye if it was sorted by first byes rather than last year's standings? So Dragons line one, Manly line two etc. Might just be me who would find that simpler however, it's still a useful resource.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:12 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:

I think it's a great resource, mate, thanks.

Only comment would be that it might be more functional/easier on the eye if it was sorted by first byes rather than last year's standings? So Dragons line one, Manly line two etc. Might just be me who would find that simpler however, it's still a useful resource.

Yeah I can do that later.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:03 am

L Mitchell and J Wighton have been arrested for fighting.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:13 am

Genderbender wrote:L Mitchell and J Wighton have been arrested for fighting.

Hahaha amazing stuff. Got to love the daft lads of the NRL, there's always something. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mitchell-and-wighton-arrested-over-alleged-birthday-party-incident-20230205-p5chzo.html

Not an expert, but the charge against Mitchell sounds more serious than the one against Wighton, but depends on what actually happened.

Not fantasy relevant as it'll only bring in Blake Taafe 😄
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:17 am

MS hot take Turuva will outscore Miller comfortably for a similar price point
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:19 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:MS hot take Turuva will outscore Miller comfortably for a similar price point
    He only gets a couple of rounds though doesnt he until May is back from suspension?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:38 am

I’ve had Sloan down in NPR all preseason, thoughts is obviously he’s a starting FB at $250k and handy loop for round 1.
    Had another thought though, potentially running another playing cow round 1 and essentially rolling the dice to see how they go, with the opportunity to go and use a trade round 2 to Sloan for a failing cow.
    It’s an interesting that both ways can have negative and positive outcomes, I’d like to know other people’s thoughts on it.

The player you roll the dice with instead of looping Sloan could be the one that takes off, making large coin and potentially using a trade to bring that guy in anyway. But this means you’d be looking at a trade to bring Sloan in and potentially a lower round one score.

Starting with Sloan essentially gives you a loop with a chance of increased round 1 points yet a player who won’t earn you anything in terms of coin, and a missed opportunity at a playing cow.

Thoughts?
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:40 am

Genderbender wrote:L Mitchell and J Wighton have been arrested for fighting.

the boys were just warming up for the game
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:41 am

mattnz wrote:
    He only gets a couple of rounds though doesnt he until May is back from suspension?

yes turuva is a trap

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:33 am