NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Lchy
    Lchy

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 15 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Post by Lchy Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:41 am

First time having a proper look at bye rounds. Got to round 13 and already a crisis- Cleary, DCE, Munster, Burton, Hynes, Boyd, Doueihi all out on either bye or origin. That's just the fucken halves, and that's just the fantasy relevant ones. So to field your 2 halves you'd need to own two of BHunt, Sullivan, Moses, DBrown, TMM, Hastings, Schuster or Milford who are the only fantasy relevant guys I could think of. Fuck this. Too hard.
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 15 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:55 am

Lchy wrote:First time having a proper look at bye rounds. Got to round 13 and already a crisis- Cleary, DCE, Munster, Burton, Hynes, Boyd, Doueihi all out on either bye or origin. That's just the fucken halves, and that's just the fantasy relevant ones. So to field your 2 halves you'd need to own two of BHunt, Sullivan, Moses, DBrown, TMM, Hastings, Schuster or Milford who are the only fantasy relevant guys I could think of. Fuck this. Too hard.

I don't, but I would say quite a few people have Te Maire Martin and Tanah Boyd in their team. That'd cover it???
    L-Jimmy
    L-Jimmy

Post by L-Jimmy Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:00 am

Welshy wrote:

That’s is though I’m buying him at 54 to average 60 and be a cut price keeper.

Finding the value early season. Sort of like a sub gun. Maybe I should patent that thought process?

You didn't ask, but as someone who used to work in patenting I'll give you a detailed answer!

What you're after is a business method patent, which are harder to get in Australia than in the UK, so I'd suggest filing there. Charmingly most patent examiners live in Wales, so you've a tiny mote of commonality.

Now, the first hurdle will be 'inventiveness', i.e. if it is obvious to a skilled person in the field it isn't patentable. I'm very confident UKIPO has a bunch of fantasy football players, so you'll find out about this quite quickly after filling your provisional application. But, why not take a shortcut and ask like DK or someone around here who's pretty good?

Second, it has to be novel. Now here's where you might run into trouble. The oldest similar role I can find in a quick search would be the olympic games competitors of ancient greece. These runners up were awarded nothing at all, as they were losers and not deserving of the laurel wreath. Your patent examiner may not quote this, but they'll know what you deserve with subguns. No laurel.

Finally, the invention must have utility, or be useful (typically in carrying on some kind of enterprise). So you'll need to show how much your Sportal earnings were derived from this.

Good luck! And don't forget: just because leeks are phallic doesn't mean you should insert them in your spouse/sheep.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:06 am

L-Jimmy wrote:

You didn't ask, but as someone who used to work in patenting I'll give you a detailed answer!

What you're after is a business method patent, which are harder to get in Australia than in the UK, so I'd suggest filing there. Charmingly most patent examiners live in Wales, so you've a tiny mote of commonality.

Now, the first hurdle will be 'inventiveness', i.e. if it is obvious to a skilled person in the field it isn't patentable. I'm very confident UKIPO has a bunch of fantasy football players, so you'll find out about this quite quickly after filling your provisional application. But, why not take a shortcut and ask like DK or someone around here who's pretty good?

Second, it has to be novel. Now here's where you might run into trouble. The oldest similar role I can find in a quick search would be the olympic games competitors of ancient greece. These runners up were awarded nothing at all, as they were losers and not deserving of the laurel wreath. Your patent examiner may not quote this, but they'll know what you deserve with subguns. No laurel.

Finally, the invention must have utility, or be useful (typically in carrying on some kind of enterprise). So you'll need to show how much your Sportal earnings were derived from this.

Good luck! And don't forget: just because leeks are phallic doesn't mean you should insert them in your spouse/sheep.

You absolute howler Rolling Laugh
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:06 am

Why does TPJ keep making my drafts 😂

Also someone please make Jack howarth the starting right centre for Melbourne and I will happily go two rookies (+Alamoti)
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:08 am

GarethEllisismyDad wrote:Why does TPJ keep making my drafts 😂

Also someone please make Jack howarth the starting right centre for Melbourne and I will happily go two rookies (+Alamoti)

If he starts edge and gets the patented hybrid role (25-30 EDG, 30-35 MID), TPJ is probably my pick of that high 500k-600k MID
    Lchy
    Lchy

Post by Lchy Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:23 am

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:

I don't, but I would say quite a few people have Te Maire Martin and Tanah Boyd in their team. That'd cover it???

Boyd is on a bye too, there's also the concern of whether TMM or somebody like Schuster (who is nowhere near my side but is in a few) has the shelf life to last 12 weeks in your side.

Somehow Milford is the best option. It's always Milford
    Cookie Monster
    Cookie Monster

Post by Cookie Monster Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:53 am

Lchy wrote:

Boyd is on a bye too, there's also the concern of whether TMM or somebody like Schuster (who is nowhere near my side but is in a few) has the shelf life to last 12 weeks in your side.

If, as expected, DCE ends up doing everything in that Manly team, then by the time Rd 13 rolls around Schuster should be at a very juicy price. He'll then have the main play-maker responsibilities for Rounds 13 and 16 and a juicy match against the Dolphins in Rd 15.

He seems like a better pick-up in Round 13 to me than the Milf

I'm not sure that half of that Manly squad would agree though  Wink
    L-Jimmy
    L-Jimmy

Post by L-Jimmy Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:54 am

Welshy wrote:

You absolute howler Rolling Laugh

Thanks for being entertained! Cheers
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:56 am

Lchy wrote:

I have a feeling that Te Marie Martin is going to be a surprise packet in the halves may average around 40 give or take around 2 to 3 points. This feeling and DPP is placing him firmly in my 18-21. If he sucks, he will likely be replaced by Metcalf and is an easy downgrade. All bases covered
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:12 am

Camo123 wrote:

If he starts edge and gets the patented hybrid role (25-30 EDG, 30-35 MID), TPJ is probably my pick of that high 500k-600k MID
    Not big on Adam Elliot?
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:28 am

Rabbits21 wrote:
    Not big on Adam Elliot?

TPJ just has insane upside of it all goes right with TBs and OF and can rack up a score

Will probably pick only 1 in that bracket (exc BSmith) because there’s some value in Haas/Tapine/Murray/Cotter and all have good bye schedules
    Moanaman
    Moanaman

Post by Moanaman Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:38 am

No Carty Party for Round 1 :-(

https://www.zerotackle.com/bryce-cartwright-fractures-jaw-at-training-127798/amp/
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:54 am

Rabbits21 wrote:
    Not big on Adam Elliot?

Currently have cotter, tpj and Adam Elliot
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:00 am

Munster averaged roughly the same as Cleary last year and is priced 71 k less. A big factor is his increase appears to be playing with Cameron Smith (average 50) without Cameron Smith (average 60). He does have a bye in R2 but Cleary has an early bye as well.
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:20 am

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:Munster averaged roughly the same as Cleary last year and is priced 71 k less. A big factor is his increase appears to be playing with Cameron Smith (average 50) without Cameron Smith (average 60). He does have a bye in R2 but Cleary has an early bye as well.

Bye in round 2? That's Manly you're thinking about, the Storm have the bye in round 9
    code delta
    code delta

Post by code delta Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:42 am

filthridden wrote:Trying to come up with a team name that encompasses my dislike for PVL and how I want him nowhere near the game or making any decisions around it's future but also a low chance of him Elon-Musk style personally permabanning my NRL account/being sued for defamtion, ie; I can't use "Peter V'Landys is a corrupt Murdoch stooge" but maybe "PVL is selling the game out for his own interests" might be OK? Thoughts?

Last edited by code delta on Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:43 am

mattnz wrote:

Doueihi should have an even better year this year than the previous 2:
    - Locked in with a defined role as the 6 without worrying about being moved around.
    - Not coming back from injury (played 2 games off the bench last season for scores of 13 and 32).
    - Behind a much better forward pack and with a great 9 feeding him the ball to get time and space.
    - Going to have either iPap or Bateman as his EDG partner to work with, will help give him time, space and great options to use as they can't just rush up on him with one of those guys to slip the ball to.

By all accounts it seems iPap will be on the left with Brooks.
    Blore seems to be the favoured right edge with Bateman playing lock.
    Tim Sheens & Benji are very keen on having a ball playing lock (hence Hastings being told that's where he would've been playing this year). Joffa is not considered a ball playing lock.
    Matamua is training there while Batemans visa issues are being resolved.
    So yeah, Doueihi probably has Blore outside him fwiw
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:52 am

robelgordo wrote:Is this useful for byes?

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 15 Nrl_by10
    Black = Byes
    Pale yellow is team plays, but Origin reps unavailable

Green is where if you buy a player in that team you get 5+ games before a bye happens e.g. at R14 it's Panthers, Storm, Roosters
    Not sure if 5 games is a good number, would be happy to tweaking my highly advanced coding*
    Also you obviously want to use judgment rather than rule players in/out solely based on approaching byes

Some quick takeaways, many of which I'm sure have already come up in the last 30-40 pages I haven't read:
    - Eels are the only team to not play in an Origin round, but they still miss 2 games in the Origin period
    - Panthers, Storm, Roosters, Broncos and Titans miss 2 Origin rounds, but the first 3 have 5 games running from R14-18, so are actually very handy to navigate that period
    - Warriors and Dolphins are the only teams with 1 bye during the R13-20 period, which covers the Origin big bye weeks and the 3 medium bye weeks immediately after each state game
    - Rabbitohs and Broncos have the latest 1st bye (R16). Titans have their 3rd and last bye the same week!
    - Aside from Titans, Tigers and Sharks finish early (R17)

*I coloured the cells in Excel

I enjoyed this.
    I almost think there's a trail off with the green, 5 games out from a bye might be fine. Four games and it's a little less comfortable, but probably palatable, three games you'd consider it (e.g. I think people were jumping on Teddy 3 games prior to Origin 1).
    Two, would have to be very compelling, but I can imagine the odd circumstance of heavy value or just one bye remaining etc.

Anyway, I appreciated the tweak in typical bye visualization - nice work
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:32 am

Thoughts on Meaney vs SJ?

SJ is probably better for base (he'll be doing most of the kicking for the Warriors) but Meaney is in a much better team, also kicks goals (SJ does but Meaney should get more given he's in a better team) and has a really nice early draw. Meaney also balances my team better at WFB.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:57 am