NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

The Betting Thread

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

The Betting Thread - Page 14 Empty Re: The Betting Thread

Post by No Worries Fri May 13, 2016 9:57 pm

Your Name wrote:Souths playing the pointless Eels playing for 0 points paying $2.50 is too good to miss

Well in the end they played for points, but the song remains the same.

Been a couple of weeks since the ledger has been black. Beer

Now to double up on the tigers  Rolling Eyes

If I get Melbourne on the line I might entertain it

Last edited by Your Name on Fri May 13, 2016 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Fri May 13, 2016 10:01 pm

Liverpool_Bulldog wrote:You guys sound like you do alright out of betting. My biggest win was 300 quid of a 10 quid multi Smile
    Any tips or strategies for a budding newbie. Love all sport except curling.

Feel free to PM me if you want to

My advice is to genuinely back outsiders, and exotic long shot betting options. You cant win if you take under even money regularly.
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Fri May 13, 2016 11:06 pm

Revraiser wrote:

My advice is to genuinely back outsiders, and exotic long shot betting options. You cant win if you take under even money regularly.

I was told by a friend that doubling up from 10 quid is a fun way to bet as long as the odds are around evens.

So that 10 becomes 300+ after 5 even money bets, is that sound or just a fast way to lose money
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Sat May 14, 2016 12:26 am

Liverpool_Bulldog wrote:

I was told by a friend that doubling up from 10 quid is a fun way to bet as long as the odds are around evens.

So that 10 becomes 300+ after 5 even money bets, is that sound or just a fast way to lose money

Some take that approach, it could come off but 5 even money shots in a row is not easy.

Theres the similar approach whereby you bet big and keep doubling up on ur losses until u win. High risk high reward (possibly)
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Sat May 14, 2016 12:27 am

Your Name wrote:

Well in the end they played for points, but the song remains the same.

Been a couple of weeks since the ledger has been black. Beer

Now to double up on the tigers  Rolling Eyes

If I get Melbourne on the line I might entertain it

WD
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Sat May 14, 2016 12:48 am

Revraiser wrote:

Some take that approach, it could come off but 5 even money shots in a row is not easy.

Theres the similar approach whereby you bet big and keep doubling up on ur losses until u win. High risk high reward (possibly)
    I've heard of that strategy. Don't really have the bankroll to be doing that sort of thing.

Cheers for your input. Might just stick to multis and see how that goes

Post by Guest Sat May 14, 2016 9:30 am

When you log onto your betting account to find out you won $300 on a bet you dont remember placing = winning.

Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Sat May 14, 2016 12:46 pm

Liverpool_Bulldog wrote:You guys sound like you do alright out of betting. My biggest win was 300 quid of a 10 quid multi Smile
    Any tips or strategies for a budding newbie. Love all sport except curling.

Feel free to PM me if you want to

My advice (if you are wanting to be a bit more serious about it and make some money) is to be very rule based about your betting. The rules I followed when I used to bet seriously were:

1) Only bet on the sports you know - for me at the time it was primarily Union and a bit of League. Don't get tempted by betting on NBA, darts, or what ever happens to be on TV at the time.
    2) Have a unit based system. You chose how much your unit is worth, e.g. it might be $10 or $1000, then you rank all your bets as anything from a 1 - 10 unit play, 10 being a bet you are as confident as you can be about, and 1 being the least confident (usually an outsider head to head option for example). Your balance usually dictates your unit size. 1 unit is generally 1% of your balance, so that even if you place a max unit bet you are only risking 10% of you initial balance.
    3) Probably the most important thing is to have multiple accounts at different bookies so you can shop around for the best odds possible (sites like www.oddschecker.com are very useful) . When I was betting I think my return of investment was 10% (so for every $1000 waged on average I was making 10% profit. My understanding is that many betters are even happy with 6% or so. For me of that 10% perhaps even half was due to getting the best odds I could find, you will often get for example $2 on one bookie whereas on a another it might only be $1.90. That extra 10% or so will make all the difference long term.
    4) Record all your bets and every now and then review to see if any sport or bet type is more of less profitable that the others. E.g. after a while I stopped betting on 1st try scorers as it just wasn't profitable.
    5) No multis (while multi's are fun and can give you a big return, there's a reason why betting agencies introduced them, its because the house wins more when people bet with them).
    6) lastly, it can also help to join a betting forum and post your picks, it can help with rationalising bets and stops you from betting on the dumb stuff. Also when you post your picks you tend to take a bit more pride in the result too, which can help your balance overall (in my experience - had the opposite effect here though lol).

Thats perhaps all a little more serious than you were after but when I followed these rules I did pretty well. Also I am a numbers guy so I enjoyed the spreadsheets, analysing my returns on different sports and betting options etc, and altering my system accordingly.
    Mr Fernando
    Mr Fernando

Post by Mr Fernando Sat May 14, 2016 1:33 pm

Shades Of Bella in R3 has got Saturday off to a flyer!
    Mr Fernando
    Mr Fernando

Post by Mr Fernando Sat May 14, 2016 1:44 pm

I know betting 101 says don't bet on Warriors matches but $2.40 against the Panthers in NZ is tempting
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sat May 14, 2016 2:08 pm

@liverpool_bulldog I usually bet live as it gives me a better understanding of the game. However never ever think you have a system because you don't - you've been lucky for a while. Once you lose and think your method is right you'll go chasing those wins.

You will have good times, don't go overboard. I remember once night I was so lucky with so many bets. I was betting on everything. Got up $1500 and starting throwing around $500 bets on things I had no idea of, was winning some and losing others. Lost three in a row and ended up with nothing, set yourself a target. Most of the time my target is $1000. Once I hit that I withdraw the $1000 and bet with the rest and see what I can do with that.

Anyway lads, I've put on a multi so I can enjoy the day.

AFL
    Freo 45.5+
    Lions -6.5
    Swans -22.5

NRL
    Panthers H2H
    Storm 6.5+
    Manly 14.5+

$20 outlay @ $41.42
    $828 return
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Sat May 14, 2016 2:46 pm

By the way, the so called "double up" system is not a system at all. The only way it works is if you have an infinite balance (in theory anyway). Without going into the numbers the gist of it is that at some point you will have a run that is bad enough that you will exceed your balance and it will all be over.

Last edited by Rippin and Tearin on Sun May 15, 2016 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sat May 14, 2016 3:27 pm

In theory it works but it doesn't work in practice.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Sat May 14, 2016 3:33 pm

Am on the storm +6.5 and manly +14.5. Expect close games in both. Left this warriors game alone as theyre impossible to predict. As this game is already showing. I was leaning panthers tho
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Sun May 15, 2016 7:28 am

Hope a few people got on that Hurricanes bet. Canes ended up winning by 15 so fell perfectly within that 13-17 point margin meaning both bets won Smile

Also, picked all Super Rugby results in my tipping comp this week (the draw appears to count as a win) and on the tie breaker I picked a margin of 6 when the result was 8 - remains to be seen if that puts me on top or not, final standings out early next week I think.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Sun May 15, 2016 3:17 pm

Frustrating when youre having a bad run so you hold off on bets on both the panthers and the sharks lines. Panthers got it done and sharks just too easy for them.

Post by Guest Sun May 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Rona paying out finally, makes up somewhat for other weeks. Like Honeysett I also chuck some money on a few common FTS each week (Rona, Radradra, Oates etc).
    Mr Fernando
    Mr Fernando

Post by Mr Fernando Sun May 15, 2016 4:59 pm

I had $22 on the Sharks to win by 51+ at $26

Kinda feel bad cashing in on another teams misery like that though lol
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Sun May 15, 2016 9:38 pm

Mr Fernando wrote:I had $22 on the Sharks to win by 51+ at $26