NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 92 - Fanatics Anonymous Off Season

rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 92 - Fanatics Anonymous Off Season - Page 18 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 92 - Fanatics Anonymous Off Season

Post by rhinoceroo Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:32 am

White Lightning wrote:

self-immunity is the way to beat covid

The best way to avoid Covid is to get Covid, gotcha.
    Pookus McFly
    Pookus McFly

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 92 - Fanatics Anonymous Off Season - Page 18 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 92 - Fanatics Anonymous Off Season

Post by Pookus McFly Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:48 am

Its funny how my attention span has waned in the modern age. When I was a younger man I used to sit for 5 days absorbed in a test. It was the purest form of the beautiful game of cricket, and T20s were a heathen lucky dip bat swing slap n tickle atrocity to the game. Now, if I ever hypothetically had 5 days off to watch a test match, then it might be on in the background for short bursts, but no way in hell am I going to waste 5 days watching a sporting match. And yet I catch more than a couple of BBL games every week, the hours of which would far exceed the test match I didn’t have time for. There will always be a bastion of old cricketing heads which keep test match cricket as the pinnacle of the sport, but you just need to look at the IPL to see where the money is going. T20 is the future of cricket because its convenient and the world has evolved to cater for convenience. Now that I watch a lot of T20, I have learned to appreciate the unique cricketing tactics which developed in the short format (cognitive dissonance at its finest!).
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:59 am

Pookus McFly wrote:Its funny how my attention span has waned in the modern age.

this is an interesting point but i feel its a bit opposite for me.

i watch a lot less sport in general than i used to, i think that's probably just due to age/lifestyle changes.. but I love that you can come and go during a test match and the game ticks along. tune in for the evening session when the ball is moving around and the fast bowlers are ripping in, etc.

i accept T20 is where cricket is going, but over the last year or two i've completely lost interest in it. it all feels too samey. too many games. smacking sixes has lost its excitement. i've barely watched two hours worth of the BBL this year.

i guess i am an 'old cricketing head' but i also never want to be someone who is against (or not accepting of) change/moving forward.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:11 pm

Pookus McFly wrote:Its funny how my attention span has waned in the modern age. When I was a younger man I used to sit for 5 days absorbed in a test. It was the purest form of the beautiful game of cricket, and T20s were a heathen lucky dip bat swing slap n tickle atrocity to the game. Now, if I ever hypothetically had 5 days off to watch a test match, then it might be on in the background for short bursts, but no way in hell am I going to waste 5 days watching a sporting match. And yet I catch more than a couple of BBL games every week, the hours of which would far exceed the test match I didn’t have time for. There will always be a bastion of old cricketing heads which keep test match cricket as the pinnacle of the sport, but you just need to look at the IPL to see where the money is going. T20 is the future of cricket because its convenient and the world has evolved to cater for convenience. Now that I watch a lot of T20, I have learned to appreciate the unique cricketing tactics which developed in the short format (cognitive dissonance at its finest!).

Co-signed

I think people that dismiss T20 as “slogging” haven’t really watched it much. Different skills/technique, but it’s clearly not just brainless hitting.

Yeah I’d like bowlers to get more of a break but those that prosper in T20 are either really quick, have good variety, or bowl wrist spin. The exact kind of bowlers people always moan about the lack of in Tests, funnily enough.

And tactically T20 is far more advanced and interesting than Tests, which are really more attritional and can drift without much changing for long periods.
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:59 pm

White Lightning wrote:

self-immunity is the way to beat covid

Wookiees are immune to Covid so I have nothing to worry about
    L-Jimmy
    L-Jimmy

Post by L-Jimmy Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:05 pm

my tv broke wrote:

this is an interesting point but i feel its a bit opposite for me.

i watch a lot less sport in general than i used to, i think that's probably just due to age/lifestyle changes.. but I love that you can come and go during a test match and the game ticks along. tune in for the evening session when the ball is moving around and the fast bowlers are ripping in, etc.

i accept T20 is where cricket is going, but over the last year or two i've completely lost interest in it. it all feels too samey. too many games. smacking sixes has lost its excitement. i've barely watched two hours worth of the BBL this year.

i guess i am an 'old cricketing head' but i also never want to be someone who is against (or not accepting of) change/moving forward.

The 'samey' bit is a good point. I struggle to watch a BBL game, the same way I struggle to watch an NBA or AFL game. Too many meaningless points. Takes the fun out of it. Soccer is too far the other way.

Anyway, who fancies some small sample stats?

When Keary is healthy and Sitili Tupou starts, Topou averages a shade over 60. Priced at $535 choochoo rocketemoji!!!!
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:17 pm

L-Jimmy wrote:

The 'samey' bit is a good point. I struggle to watch a BBL game, the same way I struggle to watch an NBA or AFL game. Too many meaningless points. Takes the fun out of it. Soccer is too far the other way.

Anyway, who fancies some small sample stats?

When Keary is healthy and Sitili Tupou starts, Topou averages a shade over 60. Priced at $535 choochoo rocketemoji!!!!

With Keary back and the Morris brothers no longer hogging all the good ball, based on what I saw the first few rounds last season and some heroic extrapolation, Sitili is good for 35-45 tries in 2022. The wide range covers the small sample variance.
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:02 pm

Chewie wrote:

Wookiees are immune to Covid so I have nothing to worry about

I never thought of you as an anti-vaxxer Chewie. As you are over 400 years of age, it is time to get your Ergapa vaccine.

"The vaccines will be delivered in specially programmed medical droids, with the hope that they will minimise the spread of SARS-CoV-2. The modified 2-1B-series have a built-in reinforced needle and sterilising unit to effectively and safely deliver vaccinations to Wookiees, who require needling that is robust enough to get past their fur and thick skin.

“When we were making Ergapa, we realised that a limiting factor of a universal vaccine was whether it could be properly delivered,” says Se. “Diversity is extremely important in these studies, and we are glad we had a diverse cohort because we quickly realised many of our thinner needles weren’t appropriate for our Hutt subjects.

“While their skin is relatively easy to penetrate, they exude a thick mucus that clogs up the needles."

cosmosmagazine.com/news/ergapa-vaccine-rollout-to-begin-on-kashyyyk/
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:29 pm

Morning guys!

Have there been any major scoring/rules changes for the new season?

Any screaming must halves this eary
    Ben Marlin
    Ben Marlin

Post by Ben Marlin Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:43 pm

Welshy wrote:Morning guys!

2 points for tackle break instead of 3
    1 point for every 30 kick meters instead of a point every 20 meters
    2 points for escaping in-goal
    2 points for offload to ground, 4 points for offload to hand
    Slight new system with trades but nothing major

Tago, Savage, Ilias, Bird, Aitken, Amone look must have assuming all are starting in their predicted roles.

easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:16 pm

The trading changes are:
    - Salary Cap reduced to $9.4M (in line with the real world club cap),
    - Total trades adjusted to 36 (up 2) with a maximum of 32 available thru to end R19 and another 4 available from R20,
    - Weekly trade maximum is now 4 from R13 onwards,

Should create opportunities for some interesting tactics
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:10 pm

Ben Marlin wrote:
    2 points for tackle break instead of 3
    1 point for every 30 kick meters instead of a point every 20 meters
    2 points for escaping in-goal
    2 points for offload to ground, 4 points for offload to hand
    Slight new system with trades but nothing major

Tago, Savage, Ilias, Bird, Aitken, Amone look must have assuming all are starting in their predicted roles.

I wouldn't have thought of either Tago or Savage as must have even if starting.

Hard to look past Cleary, likely get behind on captaincy points without him.

Starling & Grant will be great value if getting the starting hooker roles. James, Suaalii, Burton and Papy all look too good value to pass up as well.

Pookus McFly
    Pookus McFly

Post by Pookus McFly Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:51 pm

If this wasn’t intentional then its a great freudian slip.
    Only one must half in the game to my mind.

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 92 - Fanatics Anonymous Off Season - Page 18 94422210

Welcome back Welshy.
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:21 pm

I think I will pass on Suaalii. From the small sample of games last year, I cannot see how he would displace Burton, Bird, or Aitken from CTR. He looks to be a slow burner, rather than a cow. For the same price, I reckon Penisini will do marginally better and he won't be in my team either, despite my raging eels bias.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:27 pm

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:I think I will pass on Suaalii. From the small sample of games last year, I cannot see how he would displace Burton, Bird, or Aitken from CTR. He looks to be a slow burner, rather than a cow. For the same price, I reckon Penisini will do marginally better and he won't be in my team either, despite my raging eels bias.

I will have Suaalii in my WFBs. He was in a really under-strength Roosters side. Will be different this season.

Other than Papy, hard to see other good WFB options. The one guy I cant fit in but would like to is Teddy.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:55 pm

mattnz wrote:

I will have Suaalii in my WFBs. He was in a really under-strength Roosters side. Will be different this season.

Other than Papy, hard to see other good WFB options. The one guy I cant fit in but would like to is Teddy.

Even this far out, easy to predict that pending TLT most people will have a combo of Papy, Savage (if he plays), Suaalii, SCrichton and Coates.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:27 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:

Even this far out, easy to predict that pending TLT most people will have a combo of Papy, Savage (if he plays), Suaalii, SCrichton and Coates.

I haven't really looked into it, but is Coates going to get that much of a boost by moving to a good team? His scores aren't great

Tyrell Sloan will also be in everyone's team if he gets the start

Certainly SCrichton and Suaalli will be popular given they are cheap with DPP
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:44 pm

Milchcow wrote:

I haven't really looked into it, but is Coates going to get that much of a boost by moving to a good team? His scores aren't great

Tyrell Sloan will also be in everyone's team if he gets the start

Certainly SCrichton and Suaalli will be popular given they are cheap with DPP

I would have thought Coates playing for the Storm will at least score a lot more tries than Coates playing for the Broncos. He's replacing JAC, who averaged 17 points more than him - different players obviously, but even he closes half the gap it's an 8/9 point bump. George Jennings isn't a superstar but even he averaged 38 in non-injury games on the wing for the Storm last year.

Something I'll be trying to do this year is making sure the majority of my backs are from the good teams (Panthers, Roosters, Manly, Souths, Storm), and Coates is a tick on that for not much outlay.

Will Sloan be in everyone's team if he's priced at his average (40 - c$500k)? They don't seem to be automatically discounting this year.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:02 am

Will Sloan be in everyone's team if he's priced at his average (40 - c$500k)? They don't seem to be automatically discounting this year.

You're probably right

I just assumed because he wasn't in the system yet that he'd probably come in base price. Probably will be overpriced
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:24 am

I did not realise Suaali was available at WFB

Cheap WFB of interest

Haze Dunster 298k - lots of potential... showed good form towards the end of the season
    Xavier Coates 330k - tendency for single-figure scores (trade rage risk)... but improved team
    Moses Mbye 337k - I reckon they will go him as starting FB over Sloan (who is still on a development contract) - Mbye scores consistently at FB and would thus be undervalued. He signed to start in first grade.
    Xavier Savage - 350k - has potential... but very little history to go off
    Joseph Suaali - 350k - has potential and DPP - could be a slow burner - would not want to rely on him in the 17
    Stephen Crichton - 350k - solid choice at that price
    Jason Saab - 369k high ceiling - low floor - if he gets involved more could be great value
    Nick Cotric - 369k DPP - back to the Raiders where he used to shine - he returned to form at the end of last year

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:57 pm