NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 3 - Closer

Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 3 - Closer - Page 9 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 3 - Closer

Post by Rabbits21 Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:41 am

mattnz wrote:
    Angus DPP is far more useful. You are doing something wrong to run out of hooker depth this season
    Not sure what I’ll do yet Angus is up there for me but I’m keen on David Fifita as well.
    ytsb
    ytsb

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 3 - Closer - Page 9 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 3 - Closer

Post by ytsb Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:52 am

Do we think matterson slots into the origin squad for Yeo this year?
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:03 am

Pookus McFly wrote:

I think playing fantasy has changed my view on watching NRL entirely. I will always bleed cardinal and myrtle, don’t get me wrong (SSTID, it’s a deadset cult in my family)- but since playing NRLF (/Dreamteam) for the last decade, I have such a more encompassing view to Rugby League. I find that I really appreciate all the teams, whereas I used to have a South vs Everyone mentality. I watch every game instead of just the bunnies games, because I like to see which styles stack up well against each other. I’m excited for the prospect of a 22nd premiership, but that young Titans team with Smith at the helm would easily be the most exciting thing in this sport for 2021.

Fantasy has changed me man.
    Anyone else the same?

Totally agree. I think it's changed my perspective.

I used to just want Tiger's to win, but now I think I have an appreciation for all teams and their fan bases too.
    Many years ago I might've really enjoyed the Broncos struggles last year (especially as they always seemed to have a bit of a head start being a one team town in a fairly Rugby League city, and they seldom struggled), but actually found myself quite sympathetic for the team and their fans.

These days enjoy the sport and its diversity as a whole
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:17 am

easytiger wrote:

Totally agree. I think it's changed my perspective.

I used to just want Tiger's to win, but now I think I have an appreciation for all teams and their fan bases too.
    Many years ago I might've really enjoyed the Broncos struggles last year (especially as they always seemed to have a bit of a head start being a one team town in a fairly Rugby League city,  and they seldom struggled), but actually found myself quite sympathetic for the team and their fans.

These days enjoy the sport and its diversity as a whole

Eventually you realise that all rugby league teams/fans/etc are cut from the same cloth. Everyone is in it for the same reasons, obviously there are clubs that do well and others that struggle, but its all the same shit. Things arent all that different on the other side of the fence
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:22 am

ytsb wrote:Do we think matterson slots into the origin squad for Yeo this year?

I'd say more likely to replace Cordner as if 12 week rest is true, he'd only have 1-2 games before Origin

Lot of R13 sub-guns and guns on the fringe of Origin selection (Brimson, Pap, Haas, Matterson) that could make or break that bye round, but too early to speculate all that stuff
    Chris nz

Post by Chris nz Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:49 am

Sst might be being slept on slightly I really like him as an option
    Especially if he gets the gk points
    Very good price for when you want to upgrade later on

Last edited by Chris nz on Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:49 am

my tv broke wrote:

Eventually you realise that all rugby league teams/fans/etc are cut from the same cloth. Everyone is in it for the same reasons, obviously there are clubs that do well and others that struggle, but its all the same shit. Things arent all that different on the other side of the fence

100%

Only real difference is that some clubs are managed better than others, and some seem to take decades to get their shit together.
    Fans are just fans, with the same love for the game, likewise players.
    SoylentGreen
    SoylentGreen

Post by SoylentGreen Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:26 am

My team of dirty middies:

JBrailey
    Lolo(C), Tino, BMM
    Fifita, Gilbert
    Munster, Brooks
    Kelly, Bird
    Brimson, RTS, Trbo

Lam, Ford, Watson, Liddle
    Averillo, Arthars, Niu, Blore
    Aardvark Ratnick
    Aardvark Ratnick

Post by Aardvark Ratnick Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:01 am

I really like the Brimson choice reckon he is something special.
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:29 am

Aardvark Ratnick wrote:I really like the Brimson choice reckon he is something special.

Yeah Brimson is good if you're looking to lock in a WFB for the season, my only issue with him is that I don't see much growth there (fantasy-wise), and Papy has a better floor for about the same price.

That said I don't think you can really go wrong with either one.
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:35 am

I did a bit of fiddling with my side to try to better optimise the cheapies. Thoughts?

$33k ITB

Grant
    Lolo, Crichton, Gilbert
    D Fifita, Davey
    Munster, CHT
    Kelly, Averillo
    Turbo, Papy, Hoy

Lam, Riki, Watson, Liddle

Niu, Blore, Feagai, Simonsson

This team is contingent on Munster goalkicking, Averillo getting 5/8 and Niu getting FB. If Gilbert and/or Davey don't get named, my backup options are Ford, Lodge, Ah Mau etc.
    StuDogg101
    StuDogg101

Post by StuDogg101 Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:38 am

Pookus McFly wrote:

I think playing fantasy has changed my view on watching NRL entirely. I will always bleed cardinal and myrtle, don’t get me wrong (SSTID, it’s a deadset cult in my family)- but since playing NRLF (/Dreamteam) for the last decade, I have such a more encompassing view to Rugby League. I find that I really appreciate all the teams, whereas I used to have a South vs Everyone mentality. I watch every game instead of just the bunnies games, because I like to see which styles stack up well against each other. I’m excited for the prospect of a 22nd premiership, but that young Titans team with Smith at the helm would easily be the most exciting thing in this sport for 2021.

Fantasy has changed me man.
    Anyone else the same?

100% agree bro. Fantasy has given me greater appreciation for the game as a whole. I'll still be watching games in the final weeks of the regular season even if the Warriors are 16th. NRL becomes one of life's certainties. Like death and taxes.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:14 am

Still think 95% chance Smith retires, 5% chance he plays for Titans

Although it would be a cagey veteran move to be leaving the call so late so you can skip all the hard yards of off-season training
    The Bludger
    The Bludger

Post by The Bludger Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:25 am

Here’s The Bludger’s 20c on what is available this year.
    After Covid well and truly buggered up all sport in 2020, the little bludgers are keen and raring to go. We’ve said farewell to some absolute legends, GOAT we will miss you…
    Bateman (remember the good ole days when he was a set and forget Centre), AFifi (before his knees broke). Full disclosure, I don’t do statistical analysis like others on here, who are more talented in this area than I. For that kind of data look to MTB or Michcow or MS etc. they have way more information than the Bludger ever will.

If I wanted full gun squad, it would look like:
    Hooker – Cook & Grant (R)
    Middles – Haas / Lolo / Jurbo & McInnes (R)
    Edge – Angus / Matterson & Tofu / DFifi (R)
    Halves – Cleary / DCE & Moses (R)
    Centre – Lomax / Best & Staggs (R)
    Wing/Fullback – Teddy / Ponga / Brimson & Turbo (R)
    Player 21 – NPR $246k

This team will cost you $14+ mill. (give or take depending on when you grab each gun)
    We start with $9.8 mill, so will need to build a bank of $4.2 mill with 34 trades.
    Assuming you start with 5 guns, you need to bring in 13 for your final team.

I’m making some assumptions, which may blow up in my face: a starting Hooker should ave. at least 45, same goes for starting Middle and Edge forwards, Halves should be able to get to 50, Centres, 35, and Fullbacks 45.

With this in mind, here’s the cows I’m looking at:
    Hooker – Liddle, so long as his body can hold out for 6 – 8 weeks.
    Middles – Watson, BMM, Kolo, TL dependent, but there’s plenty of milking in this bunch.
    Edge – Davey, Blore, CHN, Riki, as with the Middles, TL dependent. Picking the right cow will be crucial for a good start.
    Halves – Lam, Brooks; I just think both of these boys are ready to go to the next level.
    Centres – Bird, Scott, Averillo, injuries aside, Bird is a quality footballer, Scott needs to pull his finger out and show Stickey what he’s capable of and Averillo will be sweet if he gets the no. 6
    W/FB – Turbo, Niu, Simonsson, Moylan – 2 guns returning from injury and a couple of youngsters looking to cement their spot in their respective teams.

The obvious issues here are the number of players returning from major injuries (Turbo, Watson, Bird, Liddle Moylan) and players missing out on a starting role.

The dirty-middies I’m considering:
    Hooker – JBrailey, Egan, (wait and see how they go before commiting)
    Middles – Tino, Ofah, Leota (minute watch), I know some posters are talking up LAM and/or Lodge, I just can’t see the upside, am I missing something??
    Edge – JFord, Gilbert,
    Halves – none – it’s gun/cow set-up for me
    Centres – again, not interested in paying too much for a centre. Cows or bust.
    W/FB – Holmes, Allan (although it’s wait and see on both)

That’s all from the Bludger.
    The missus is calling.
    Ponga Yeo the Mann
    Ponga Yeo the Mann

Post by Ponga Yeo the Mann Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:34 am

Snatchpato wrote:I nearly had an aneurysm piecing together which Fifita people were talking about... If Andrew Fifita turns out to be fantasy relevant again I suggest a DaFifi and AnFifi approach. Or quicker yet, DaFi and AnFi

Fatfita too mean?

Edit: beaten to it! Dead Horse
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:39 am

robelgordo wrote:Still think 95% chance Smith retires, 5% chance he plays for Titans

Although it would be a cagey veteran move to be leaving the call so late so you can skip all the hard yards of off-season training

From everything weve ever heard about Smith, id be super surprised if he rocked up to the titans this late in pre season. Just doesnt seem like the type of person to shirk the hard work, nor the example hed want to set for the players, if he was to go there to try win a comp at a dif club.

But who knows, its rugby league afterall
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:13 am

Never mind my team from a minute ago, I just did a bit of digging and I've dropped Kelly out of my team for a potentially even better POD centre.

Dane Gagai.

If we look at his scores from last year, there's a clear distinction.

On the wing he averaged 36.9 in 9 games over 70 minutes (he does have an additional score of 14 in 49 minutes and I'm not quite sure what happened there), with 7 tries and 7 line breaks. Lowest score is 16, highest score is 72 (with 3 tries in that match)

At centre though, he averaged 45.2 in 6 games, with 3 tries and 5 line breaks. Lowest score is 32 and highest score is 59.

The way I see it, if he stays at centre all year, then he is definitely worth considering for someone to anchor your centres with. A floor of 25-35 and a ceiling of 60-70 is well worth it for such a wasteland of a position.

As a nice little bonus, he's CTR/WFB dual so you could use him to cover WFB if you need to
    Moanaman
    Moanaman

Post by Moanaman Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:26 am

Draft #479561

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 3 - Closer - Page 9 Untitl24

@Bethany_B I like your reasoning behind Gagai, he may make the final team
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:27 am

Bethany_B wrote:Never mind my team from a minute ago, I just did a bit of digging and I've dropped Kelly out of my team for a potentially even better POD centre.

Dane Gagai.

If we look at his scores from last year, there's a clear distinction.

On the wing he averaged 36.9 in 9 games over 70 minutes (he does have an additional score of 14 in 49 minutes and I'm not quite sure what happened there), with 7 tries and 7 line breaks. Lowest score is 16, highest score is 72 (with 3 tries in that match)

At centre though, he averaged 45.2 in 6 games, with 3 tries and 5 line breaks. Lowest score is 32 and highest score is 59.

The way I see it, if he stays at centre all year, then he is definitely worth considering for someone to anchor your centres with. A floor of 25-35 and a ceiling of 60-70 is well worth it for such a wasteland of a position.

As a nice little bonus, he's CTR/WFB dual so you could use him to cover WFB if you need to

I just don’t think I can waste precious funds at centre.

I’d rather go for someone under 400k and take the gamble.

Gagai wouldn’t be a bad pick, he does love missing a few tackles though.
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:29 am

Rabbits21 wrote:

I just don’t think I can waste precious funds at centre.

I’d rather go for someone under 400k and take the gamble.

Gagai wouldn’t be a bad pick, he does love missing a few tackles though.

The problem is that there just aren't any cheaper guys that I remotely trust other than Averillo (who is my other centre). If any come up, I may leave Gagai out, but I really think having a guy like that could be a huge leg up on sides that run two cheap centres.

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 8:43 am