NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 11 - The join your Leagues edition!

ytsb
    ytsb

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 11 - The join your Leagues edition! - Page 27 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 11 - The join your Leagues edition!

Post by ytsb Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:12 pm

KalkadoonWarrior wrote:

I understand the point between the two however personally there’s no way I can not have both in my team, I’ve done something far more left field and sacrificed Haas to accomodate Turbo so I’m probably not the sharpest, however I think both of these players ceilings are so bloody high that we haven’t even seen it yet which is why having both in my team is a must have. If I had to choose who would do better than its obvious DFifi however he’s in a position where there’s heaps of value this season so it depends on the makeup of your overall team as well. Is there another way you can work both? I know it’s tough as I’ve said I’m sacrificing potentially the one certainty....

I am with you, and am currently rocking a WFB of Papy, Turbo, and Brimson. Not interested in playing musical chairs between cheap WFBs with 'potential' after one of drinkwater, lomax, or aekins ends up sucking. This could change though.
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 11 - The join your Leagues edition! - Page 27 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 11 - The join your Leagues edition!

Post by Camo123 Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:12 pm

Bethany_B wrote:Thoughts on DFifi vs Turbo? I was looking at some advice in my Assistant Coach thread about DFifi, and I had the idea of swapping him out for Turbo. Not super set on either option but the reasoning is as follows.

For keeping DFifi: He's shown a massive upside and if he's got 80 mins a week, he's likely to average well into the 50s if not more (priced at 47).

For getting Turbo: Turbo has just as much upside, and averaged 52.7 in his non-injured games last year (priced at 47) - he's also more of a POD than Fifita is, I'd wager most of the 16.2% that own Turbo are casuals.

Picking Turbo is basically speculating that DFifi either has a few quiet games to start or gets reduced minutes.

I think while AFB is out and Levi is adjusting to new club, Turbo might start slow. He was best when Manly dominated ruck when Fainu made run after AFB & Taupau got over advantage line.

They also start with games against Storm, Roosters and Raiders in first 5
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:15 pm

mattnz wrote:

Agree you will always need to use some trades. My target would be something like saving 4 trades in the first 6 weeks if possible
    I'm planning to pick the perfect team from the start, land the number 1 spot straight away, save trades in the early rounds and cruise my way to victory
    arsendragon
    arsendragon

Post by arsendragon Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:18 pm

Im in now. Bring it on League 10 Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil :ThumbsUp:
    Loomer
    Loomer

Post by Loomer Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:20 pm

Archer wrote:
    Nah, it's an old favourite who's bound to let me down like every other time. So famous and dreamy they named a survivor tribe after him.

If that's Aubbo and I have him to but high on chopping block if I want player somewhere else
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:21 pm

Chewie wrote:
    I'm planning to pick the perfect team from the start, land the number 1 spot straight away, save trades in the early rounds and cruise my way to victory

Fantasy can be very much like that. Get the right team at the start and you both get points and don’t need to make trades. The last 2 years I have started strong (top 200 after 2 rounds both years) but have still wasted trades when I didn’t need to. That is what changes this year if I get off to another strong start
    ytsb
    ytsb

Post by ytsb Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:21 pm

Camo123 wrote:

I think while AFB is out and Levi is adjusting to new club, Turbo might start slow. He was best when Manly dominated ruck when Fainu made run after AFB & Taupau got over advantage line.

They also start with games against Storm, Roosters and Raiders in first 5

Good point, the defensive structure of those three teams is probably going to strangle opportunity for Turbo.

On another note: Thoughts on Radley? I know there's plenty of value in 2RF this year but he is a major POD.
    Pookus McFly
    Pookus McFly

Post by Pookus McFly Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:22 pm

Cherry picking statistics is a very dangerous game.
    In tryless games, Dafita is priced exactly right.
    Taking out his 100 and 90 point games he is only 2.5 points undervalued
    Taking out just his two-try 100 point game he is 6 points undervalued

Tl;dr- we are all hoping Dafita scores another fantasy tonne at some point this season. He really does need to or else there is better value elsewhere
    KingTeddy
    KingTeddy

Post by KingTeddy Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:23 pm

Just made a team with Haas, Teddy, Moses, TTurbo and Papi affraid affraid
    t43597
    t43597

Post by t43597 Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:25 pm

I'd like to hear opinions on how much planning is required for the byes. Its only my 2nd year playing and last season i wasnt that serious so i barely took notice of the byes. So i have a couple questions

Does it affect your starting team in any way? If not, at what stage do you start planning? Also, what is a reasonable score over the byes? As that may give a better picture of how many trades to actually use/what to aim for.

I assume there are no hard and fast answers here, but i think its worth discussing. From experience in AFL fantasy, the byes generally separate the great teams from the good-average. I assume that is the case for this too.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated
    ytsb
    ytsb

Post by ytsb Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:27 pm

Pookus McFly wrote:Cherry picking statistics is a very dangerous game.
    In tryless games, Dafita is priced exactly right.
    Taking out his 100 and 90 point games he is only 2.5 points undervalued
    Taking out just his two-try 100 point game he is 6 points undervalued

Tl;dr- we are all hoping Dafita scores another fantasy tonne at some point this season. He really does need to or else there is better value elsewhere

Round 3 against the titans! I'd say his ability to score over 90 twice last year isn't a fluke given how he plays
    Holy Moly
    Holy Moly

Post by Holy Moly Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:31 pm

mattnz wrote:
    Yes, yes most likely, yes, yes

Thank you
    Loomer
    Loomer

Post by Loomer Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:31 pm

KingTeddy wrote:Just made a team with Haas, Teddy, Moses, TTurbo and Papi affraid affraid

Probably at least 3 turkeys 15-17
    KingTeddy
    KingTeddy

Post by KingTeddy Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:36 pm

Loomer wrote:

Probably at least 3 turkeys 15-17

It's still a very strong team, only weakness is 2 of the Bench players : Koro, Brailey, Walters and Musgrove

btw the team is on my assistant coach thread
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:39 pm

t43597 wrote:I'd like to hear opinions on how much planning is required for the byes. Its only my 2nd year playing and last season i wasnt that serious so i barely took notice of the byes. So i have a couple questions

Does it affect your starting team in any way? If not, at what stage do you start planning? Also, what is a reasonable score over the byes? As that may give a better picture of how many trades to actually use/what to aim for.

I assume there are no hard and fast answers here, but i think its worth discussing. From experience in AFL fantasy, the byes generally separate the great teams from the good-average. I assume that is the case for this too.

Great question and one always worth discussing

When choosing my starting team I will use bye rounds as a tie breaker when stuck on two players. For example if you believe Cleary and Moses are going to score in a similar range, I would go Moses due to playing first bye round. I wouldn't specifically choose any players because of bye rounds, although I tend to lean towards non origin guns like Taupau rather than Arrow

I start getting heavy into the byes about round 7 or 8 and always use max trades available during the bye round. 8 trades from round 7 + 3 in the bye round gives you 11 players, assuming none of your starting players are also playing. I don't specifically aim for a set number of players, I aim to get the must have guns and a few lottery tickets. I would also hold on to a peaked cow and drop a bit of cash if it means picking up 30-40 points in a bye round

Score depends on who the guns are and who is available but I would be aiming for 700+

For round 12 this year I think the following players are the ones you would consider worth trading in:

Titans - None
    Bulldogs - None
    Eels - Moses(origin), Matterson(origin), Nathan Brown(wait and see on scoring)
    Cowboys - Taumalolo
    Knights - None
    Rabbitohs - Reynolds(origin), Latrell(origin), Burns(scoring)
    Dragons - McInnes
    Sea Eagles - AFB, Taupau
    Loomer
    Loomer

Post by Loomer Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:44 pm

KingTeddy wrote:

It's still a very strong team, only weakness is 2 of the Bench players : Koro, Brailey, Walters and Musgrove

btw the team is on my assistant coach thread

Don't hate it but I'm never one for big money on WFBs over Forwards early
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:49 pm

t43597 wrote:I'd like to hear opinions on how much planning is required for the byes. Its only my 2nd year playing and last season i wasnt that serious so i barely took notice of the byes. So i have a couple questions

Bye planning used to be pretty important back when we had 3 bye rounds to prepare for. I personally look at who the guns are that play round 12 and I'll either start with them or make them primary upgrade targets. Guys like Taumalolo, McInnes, Taupau, Matterson and Moses this season.
    Around round 9 you want to start at bringing in round 12 players.
    After round 12 you need to look at getting your top 17 together asap, keeping in mind the round 16 bye round. You want to start by bringing in players like CS9, Bateman, AFifita, and RTS.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:54 pm

Chewie wrote:

Bye planning used to be pretty important back when we had 3 bye rounds to prepare for. I personally look at who the guns are that play round 12 and I'll either start with them or make them primary upgrade targets. Guys like Taumalolo, McInnes, Taupau, Matterson and Moses this season.
    Around round 9 you want to start at bringing in round 12 players.
    After round 12 you need to look at getting your top 17 together asap, keeping in mind the round 16 bye round. You want to start by bringing in players like CS9, Bateman, AFifita, and RTS.

I think there is more ground to be made up this year in the bye rounds than last year, primarily because people are generally adding more origin players to their starting squads this season that are also likely to be keepers. With careful planning and having spare trades available, you can jump a lot of places this season. I discuss it in more depth in my team assistant thread
    t43597
    t43597

Post by t43597 Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:58 pm

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

Great question and one always worth discussing

When choosing my starting team I will use bye rounds as a tie breaker when stuck on two players. For example if you believe Cleary and Moses are going to score in a similar range, I would go Moses due to playing first bye round. I wouldn't specifically choose any players because of bye rounds, although I tend to lean towards non origin guns like Taupau rather than Arrow

I start getting heavy into the byes about round 7 or 8 and always use max trades available during the bye round. 8 trades from round 7 + 3 in the bye round gives you 11 players, assuming none of your starting players are also playing. I don't specifically aim for a set number of players, I aim to get the must have guns and a few lottery tickets. I would also hold on to a peaked cow and drop a bit of cash if it means picking up 30-40 points in a bye round

Score depends on who the guns are and who is available but I would be aiming for 700+

For round 12 this year I think the following players are the ones you would consider worth trading in:

Titans - None
    Bulldogs - None
    Eels - Moses(origin), Matterson(origin), Nathan Brown(wait and see on scoring)
    Cowboys - Taumalolo
    Knights - None
    Rabbitohs - Reynolds(origin), Latrell(origin), Burns(scoring)
    Dragons - McInnes
    Sea Eagles - AFB, Taupau

Cheers for the feedback. The byes intrigue me partly because i love planning for contingencies whenever playing any fantasy game. I know that it is a balancing act, as you dont want to plan too early and lose points by ignoring guns but equally planning too late and then copping an injury or 2 and you will lose substantial ground. Interesting that you dont aim for a set number of players, as to me that seems to be a decent starting point when thinking about byes. That said i do understand your point about maximising guns and how holding onto a cow for longer can be advantageous.

I definitely think listing the guns to target as trade ins is a valuable exercise. Most of those you've listed are either in my team or on my watch list (without considering byes) but its definitely helpful to know who to target.
    Enchanted Glossy Flamingo
    Enchanted Glossy Flamingo

Post by Enchanted Glossy Flamingo Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:58 pm

It's pretty much a bellcurve; if you don't plan at all for byes you're in for a bad time, but if you obsess over the bye rounds and put everything into it you're also going to have a bad time. It's unfortunately a "how long is a piece of string" thing. Have an eye for keeping cash cows and midrange players around a little longer if they play round 12 and then try to target guns who play the second bye after that.

Don't break your team over it. A player who averages 50 but only plays 22 games is still going to outscore someone who averages 45 and plays 24

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 pm