NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2019 NRL Supercoach fantasy thread part 1

mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

2019 NRL Supercoach fantasy thread part 1 Empty 2019 NRL Supercoach fantasy thread part 1

Post by mattnz Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:04 pm

Seems there was interest in having a Supercoach thread, so I thought I would start one. Supercoach is now open to create teams.

This initial post should hopefully assist those that currently play Fantasy and may be interested in trying Supercoach (SC) to understand some of the key differences between the formats to get them up to speed quickly.

I play both Supercoach and Fantasy, so for me one of the key things is looking at some of the cost differentials to try to find some real bargains in one format vs the other and maybe discuss some strategy differences as well.

In general players are going to cost more in Fantasy than in Supercoach, with the same cap in place, but have less players to purchase.
    Some common player selections to give you an idea of pretty standard cost differentials:
    Fifita - $634k SC vs $864k F - 36% higher in F
    Pangai - $495k SC vs $640k F - 29% higher in F
    Radley - $400k SC vs $503k F - 26% higher in F
    Turbo - $691k SC vs $732k F - 6% higher in F
    Teddy - $689k SC vs $795k F - 15% higher in F
    Bottom dollar player - $168k SC vs 212k F - 26% higher in F

Typical rule of thumb, a forward will generally be around 25-35% higher cost in Fantasy than in SC and average around 30% more, while elite backs tend to be around 5-15% more in Fantasy, averaging around 10% more. In SC backs typically have a higher opportunity to go huge than they do in Fantasy, mostly due to the increased value of Tries (17 points) and Assists (12 points).

Some of the interesting bigger differences in costs and positional options for players between the 2 formats:
    - Arrow is dual FRF/2RF in fantasy, but only 2RF in supercoach. Being able to play him in the front row rather than in the always stacked 2RF is a huge benefit he has in fantasy but not in supercoach.
    - John Bateman - 2RF/CTR in both formats but costs only $400k in SC but $593k in Fantasy. Even accounting for the typical 30% markup in cost between the 2, at 48% differential, he is either likely to be a massive bargain in SC or massively over-priced in Fantasy.
    - Ryan Sutton - FRF $320k SC vs $511k F a massive 60% premium in Fantasy over SC. If priced even close to correctly in Fantasy he is a huge bargain in SC

SCORING CONSIDERATIONS

Scoring tends to be higher in SC than in Fantasy. The key differences are:
    - Players that make mistakes tend to get punished more in F than in SC. A missed tackle is -2 in F vs -1 in SC and overall points are lower in F than SC, so it is really the equivalent of almost -3 in SC points terms.
    - Tries (17 points) and assists (12 points) are worth more in SC
    - Player scoring tends to favour those that have a long kicking game in Fantasy vs Supercoach. In supercoach you can't get points for it, but can get errors.
    - A new rule has been added this year for SC where up to 4 players that contribute to a try can get 4 points each for it, replacing last years Last Touch points. Halves will be the big winner from this rule change and the point differential isn't included in the pricing this season. Hookers who often go the Last Touch points last season will be the big losers from the rule change.

The loophole option in Fantasy isn't available in Supercoach. In Fantasy it makes players being injured short-term less of an issue, as you can use them not playing to loop. This season I am going to seriously try to hold trades early where possible, (assuming my initial team was on track or close to it) and get through injuries using the loop rather than trading them out. Last season I tried holding players that wouldn't play to loop them and found injuries were too much of an issue when they occurred.

POSITIONAL CONSIDERATIONS

Positions tend to matter more in SC than in Fantasy. In fantasy we saw some really successful teams that had 5 hookers stacked in them to get consistent points each week. In SC there are only 2 actual hooker spots, the only way to do this would be to have duals in other positions like Kurt Mann.

Note that at CTW you have 7 slots to fill, and only 2 FLB slots available. This means having both Teddy and Turbo stops you getting other players that are also FLBs. Less of an issue this year than last, when Ponga was also available at FLB only, this year he is dual. It means you can't have someone like RTS as well though and can be an issue over the SOO period.

I was pleased to see Corey Allan available at both CTW and FLB, which means he is an option for selection across the multiple CTW places. Typically in SC the successful strategy has been to stack cows in almost all the CTW positions (7 in total).

2019 NRL Supercoach fantasy thread part 1 Empty Re: 2019 NRL Supercoach fantasy thread part 1

Post by Guest Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:16 pm

I'll have a big crack at this. I've got my thinking cap on.

It is a good excuse for when I do shit at fantasy. 'I spent too much time on supercoach thats why I couldn't back it up. Nothing to do with luck......' Very Happy
    Blindside
    Blindside

2019 NRL Supercoach fantasy thread part 1 Empty Re: 2019 NRL Supercoach fantasy thread part 1

Post by Blindside Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:11 am

Any leagues going? First season playing this format. Been driven to this game by the incompetence of the others.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:29 am

Thanks for the post @mattnz, thinking I might give this a crack this year.

mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:57 am

A few other key differences:
    - In SC no price changes happen until the start of round 3. This gives you the opportunity to get onboard some cheap players before they increase in price, after seeing their round 1 and 2 scores. You will want to use all your trades early. It is more important in SC than in F.
    - You get 37 trades for the season
    - There is a vice captain loophole. If you have a VC selected and they score great, you can move your captain choice to a player that you move from NPR to be in your 13. You will get double the score of the VC and your lowest score of all your NPRs. You would normally only use the loophole if your VC scores 90-100+
    - The above loophole tends to be really successful in bye rounds when your lowest NPR score doesnt typically apply as you will be short of players anyway.
    - Because of the loophole opportunity, it is important to not have low scoring players sitting in your reserves. A guy that often just gets 5-15 minutes off the bench and can be a really low scoring NPR is a guy you don't want in your team.
    - The ideal for the loophole is to have a VC playing early and a C playing late in the round, with an NPR option playing at the same time as the C to give you as much information as possible.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:34 am

If anyone spots any helpful articles etc, then please post up a link in here so we can share the info.

Supercoach talk seems to be handy:
    https://www.nrlsupercoachtalk.com/

I'll hunt around for any news, strategies etc.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:51 pm

This site is great for getting stats from https://www.nrlsupercoachstats.com/
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:00 pm

Given its easier to stack a side in SC - where are you guys at on (C)ook/(C)am? Seems to me, while there may be a very good argument for going without Cook/Cam in NRLFF its not as easy to make that case in SC. Im considering it Cook as I think he should come close to scoring the same, and so while he costs a ton, you get value as an easy (C) option each week. Thoughts?
    Blindside
    Blindside

Post by Blindside Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:33 pm

If anyone would like to take the blindsided challenge my group code is 900681.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:41 pm

Early team punt. Feels like it has a nice balance but will need tinkering as we get more info etc. Guns guns guns

Smith Mahoney
    TPJ Lane Tolman cheapie
    Jurbo Crichton Murray Stimson cheapie cheapie
    DCE warriors half
    Morgan Brown
    Bateman Capewell Bird Lomax cheapie cheapie cheapie
    Jurbo Turbo! Tedesco

Last edited by Verbal Kint on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:02 pm

Although I'm likely to go much lighter at centre and bring in Fifita. Will have a play around
    Clack Bocks
    Clack Bocks

Post by Clack Bocks Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:27 am

Verbal Kint wrote:Early team punt. Feels like it has a nice balance but will need tinkering as we get more info etc. Guns guns guns

Smith Mahoney
    TPJ Lane Tolman cheapie
    Jurbo Crichton Murray Stimson cheapie cheapie
    DCE warriors half
    Morgan Brown
    Bateman Capewell Bird Lomax cheapie cheapie cheapie
    Jurbo Tedesco

You magician!

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:40 am

Very Happy Ooops. Turbo obviously

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:49 am

Tbh, I read every post in the 'pimp my team' comments (supercoach talk). That is the cookiest cookie cutter team, at the moment anyway... apart from my DCE pick - 'consensus' is towards Cleary....

Arrow, Gillett, Egan, Surgess etc also getting plenty of air time.

Now to do some of my own research.

Blindside
    Blindside

Post by Blindside Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:21 am

@PointNineFour: As @SuperCoachNRL starts to heat up, I thought it would be appropriate to start a series looking deeper into NRL Supercoach. This week looks at the relationship between PPM and Ave Minutes played in 2018 to find the diamonds in the rough in 2019.
    https://www.pointninefour.com/posts/rugbyleague/nrl-supercoach-part-1-what-makes-the-ideal-supercoach-player/ @FOXNRL

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:25 pm

Any interest in setting up a forum group? Same as a league but can have more than 20 teams.
    Clack Bocks
    Clack Bocks

Post by Clack Bocks Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:02 pm

I’ll join whatever. Any leagues set up?
    t43597
    t43597

Post by t43597 Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:45 pm

Hello all, i'm new to this forum and new to NRL Fantasy but im giving it a go with a couple mates this year. I did a little bit of research and chucked together a team which i'd love some feedback on! I'm experienced playing AFL SC, DT and fantasy so i think i know the general principles although NRL SC looks slightly different with the bench scoring rules etc. Anyway, id love to know where ive gone wrong

2019 NRL Supercoach fantasy thread part 1 Screen10
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:41 pm

Hearing Edwards injured to start the season, A Hopoate too young to play until Round 9, W Hopoate likely to play in centers not at FLB, Asiata likely to have a much smaller role in a much stronger NQL pack this season.
    t43597
    t43597

Post by t43597 Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:02 pm

mattnz wrote:Hearing Edwards injured to start the season, A Hopoate too young to play until Round 9, W Hopoate likely to play in centers not at FLB, Asiata likely to have a much smaller role in a much stronger NQL pack this season.

Thanks for the feedback! I've completely changed my team and am now running with a more conventional structure. About 28k leftover.

2019 NRL Supercoach fantasy thread part 1 Screen12

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:51 am