NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

Dip

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread - Page 41 Empty Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

Post by Dip Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:37 am

Is anyone (other than Flanagan) arguing that Matt Prior didn't do a legal one on one strip, but then knocked it on by pulling it to the ground? I thought that was pretty obviously the right call in my opinion - given that they didn't penalise Prior for being nowhere near straight from marker after the quick 20m tap. Amazed that anyone has a problem with the call tbh.

Thought the Moylan one could have either been a penalty or a knock on. It definitely wasn't tackled in the air imo, but since the penalty was putting the player in a dangerous position, I can live with that (obviously Robert's involvement is what makes the decision iffy) since the refs always err on the side of penalising players when the other player's safety is in question. That's not a Broncos thing, that's been the case for ages. How often do you hear refs say "I know it was an accident, but it's still dangerous" or words to that effect. You'd hear that 20 times a season. It probably also didn't make a difference. We turned down a gift 2 points a few minutes later because going from 2-4 ahead wasn't going to do much, but if the score was still 10-10 it definitely would have resulted in a shot for goal.

Flanagan arguing the try should have been given when it was put on Isaako's foot - bahahahahaha.

No mention of the constant offsides by Cronulla? There was one case when McCullough went to go the short blind side, but Moylan was there and literally 5m offside. The ref called Moylan out, but at that stage McCullough who had seen he was there instead stopped and went open side, which really slowed down the play, and affected us badly. No penalty even though Moylan was called out. Also Gallen from a not square position tackles McCullough 1m out from the line and no sinbin? Geez, Cronulla got as many 50/50 calls as Brisbane, just Flanagan complains the loudest (which is ironic since the guy got the best administration call of all time by still being allowed to coach in the NRL)
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:46 pm

Dip wrote:

Hunt was the fullback moved to the wing. Boyd was wing the whole season - his first in the NRL.

boyd was fullback for the first 4 games of the 5 match losing run before hodges was moved

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:59 pm

*sigh* I just... don’t understand this team, if we showed up to play these games the way we dig in for the big games we’d be right as rain, three games this year - vs Titans, vs Sea-Eagles, and this one where everyone is not thinking ‘will we win?’ as much as ‘how much will we win by?’ and then we just surrender and let them rack up a score on us, we show up for those three games and we’re in a battle for the minor premiership, but it’s seems these guys are happy to do just enough to coast in the finals so we can win first week in a tough grinding victory and then get pasted by whichever of the top 4 get us in week 2.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:31 am

surmo13 wrote:*sigh* I just... don’t understand this team, if we showed up to play these games the way we dig in for the big games we’d be right as rain, three games this year - vs Titans, vs Sea-Eagles, and this one where everyone is not thinking ‘will we win?’ as much as ‘how much will we win by?’ and then we just surrender and let them rack up a score on us, we show up for those three games and we’re in a battle for the minor premiership, but it’s seems these guys are happy to do just enough to coast in the finals so we can win first week in a tough grinding victory and then get pasted by whichever of the top 4 get us in week 2.

is it because they are a young side? are they a young side? part of these losses come down to not having a halfback too.

The broncos got the rub of the green in the first few rounds of the year (or got away with a win in some close ones), which has put them higher up on the ladder than what they should be. They have won 3 or 4 games they shouldnt have, so the expectations are high when in reality, they are a middle of the road side at the moment.

Can bennett get them to another gf? or gf qualifier? he got a mediocre side to a gf qualifier in newcastle - im sure he can do it again. He also missed the finals twice then sacked himself so who knows what will happen.

They play so well in patches, they are a good side to watch when they click but jeez they dont always click.

dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:07 am

The close ones we should have lost are balanced by the ones we should have won easily and didn't turn up for. I'd say we're right where we should be on the ladder.

Bottom half of the 8 has more teeth in it this year though. Panthers / Sharks / Broncos could all get the job done in the finals, so it's a bit different than other years, I think.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:04 am

broncos can beat anyone when they are on for sure, but finishing bottom of the eight means doing that for 4 straight weeks and that looks beyond them atm
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:06 am

It's all in their heads. We have talent galore but the mindset of the team is fucked this season. One week we can put 50 on a team and the next we could lose to the worst team in the comp, that's how we are this season.

We are not a GF contending team and it's pretty obvious.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Pieman wrote:
    is it because they are a young side? are they a young side? part of these losses come down to not having a halfback too.

Certainly part of it, imo. Not an excuse, but we are trying to rely on young guys alot and it would be hard to get them up every week.

I don't think not having a real halfback had anything to do with last night. We were flat across the board, and the Dogs came with hunger. There were a number of instances where our players were just "doing" without really thinking, they weren't focussed, etc. The bounce of the ball went the Dogs way all game (i'm not talking about refs here), but you create your own luck by being hungry, and the Dogs did that.

It is what it is, I'm not too fussed about it. Its more about how we turn up in the next three weeks in my opinion.

Ive never considered us a contender this year anyway. Obviously as a fan you always have that hope you can find a way to get there. We have shown against Panthers and Sharks recently that we CAN turn up.
    Ice

Post by Ice Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:06 pm

Has Bennet employed a hair pulling coach?

Broncos fast becoming league leaders in that category.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:47 pm

Ice wrote:Has Bennet employed a hair pulling coach?

Broncos fast becoming league leaders in that category.

If it was Bellyache the media would be all over it, he's employed a wrestling coach ruined the way the game is played. But Bennett is a protected species.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:09 am

Yeah, stamp that shit out.

I hope they got a bollocking.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Fuckin’ LOL, it’s almost like I planned it, wasn’t the rampaging second rower I was looking for, but a big thankyou to DCE for confirming that that my hypothetical plays out exactly how I said it would and foul play doesn’t stop being foul play just because you were looking at the ball when you did it.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:01 pm

surmo13 wrote:Fuckin’ LOL, it’s almost like I planned it, wasn’t the rampaging second rower I was looking for, but a big thankyou to DCE for confirming that that my hypothetical plays out exactly how I said it would and foul play doesn’t stop being foul play just because you were looking at the ball when you did it.

The difference is, 1 - DCE got there early and makes contact, and 2 - when he gets close he takes his eyes off the ball
    Moylan did neither.

If you think thats an identical situation to the moylan v isaako one then ur fakin off ya chops mate

Post by Guest Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:06 pm

Last edited by surmo13 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
    Fortitude
    Fortitude

Post by Fortitude Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:31 pm

surmo13 wrote:Never said it was identical, just happy to have it confirmed that once again I’m on the right side of the argument - accidental foul play is still foul play and players are penalised accordingly.

Even though I think the call was wrong, a good example to your argument is the rapana penalty on mansour. Goes for charge down, trailing arm cops him on head. Nothing in it but because it drew blood and obviously downed mansour. Penalty. If it had happened in a tackle it would be nothing. Also the refs comment was “it’s a penalty because of the outcome not the intent” which is fucked
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:55 am

Fortitude wrote:Also the refs comment was “it’s a penalty because of the outcome not the intent” which is fucked

Eh? That's the opposite of fucked. It's the exact reason the lower grading charges are reckless / careless.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:49 am

surmo13 wrote:Never said it was identical, just happy to have it confirmed that once again I’m on the right side of the argument - accidental foul play is still foul play and players are penalised accordingly.

cool, sooo.. throwing up a DIFFERENT hypothetical scenario, then having something happen that was similar to, again, the DIFFERENT scenario somehow makes you right?? OKKK... lol.. fark me

I agree with you, an accidental foul play is still foul play. Hence why DCE got penalised, he took out the defender before he had the ball, and wasnt playing at the ball. Moylan, however, didnt. It wasnt even close to taking out a defender before he had the ball, and he was playing at it. It wasnt foul play.

They were, again, DIFFERENT.

I agree with the penalty on Rapana. I mean, fuck, he hit Mansour with an elbow high and late after he went for the charge down, accidental or not - he still hit the bloke in the head with his elbow. The more I watch it the more it looks like he kinda strikes out at mansour too. It was a chargedown that went wrong.

Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:15 am

ryno_ wrote:

Eh? That's the opposite of fucked. It's the exact reason the lower grading charges are reckless / careless.

It is precisely fucked if you consider (as you should) that the reason for charging/suspending blokes is as a deterrent/punishment for foul play.

Genuine question here, based on not being able to fathom your (and other's) logic; but why exactly do you think we have charges/suspensions in the game?

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:39 am

Last edited by surmo13 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:47 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

It is precisely fucked if you consider (as you should) that the reason for charging/suspending blokes is as a deterrent/punishment for foul play.

Genuine question here, based on not being able to fathom your (and other's) logic; but why exactly do you think we have charges/suspensions in the game?

Remebering my comment was in the context of Mansour getting belted by Rapana and not the Moylan incident. I don't think anybody is claiming Rapana was actively trying to decapitate Mansour but he hit him high. Regardless of if he meant to or not, the outcome of his actions was an illegal act. Its a penalty everyday of the week.

Foul play, committed without intent, is still foul play. Penalties/charges/suspensions exist to get foul play out of the game.

Genuine question here, based on not being able to fathom your (and other's) logic; but why exactly do you think we have careless/reckless/intentional gradings, if not to deter both accidental and intentional foul play?

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:34 pm