NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Dream Team Virtual Sports - Sports Deck 2017 Thread

Aardvark Ratnick
    Aardvark Ratnick

Dream Team Virtual Sports - Sports Deck 2017 Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Dream Team Virtual Sports - Sports Deck 2017 Thread

Post by Aardvark Ratnick Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:50 am

Nice win ST - what a Barry Crocker I,ve had sorry in advanced for letting leagues down Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Dream Team Virtual Sports - Sports Deck 2017 Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Dream Team Virtual Sports - Sports Deck 2017 Thread

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:49 am

Hey guys,

Wondering how my score stacks up this week, 881. Was previously sitting 86th.

I got a bit lucky in that I didn't get as hammered as most with injury, although did have the usual suspects in RTS and Hayne. Lucky not to have had Norman though.

The only guys that really hurt this week were Kelly (16) and I chose to play Siro in the halves and he only managed (19). I suspect most were on Siro as well though.

With that in mind, any thoughts on the next 2 trades this week?

Cam, McCullough
    JBD, F Kaufusi, Wallace, Leota
    McGuire, Mannering, Gallen, Hess, Afoa, Yates
    Lamb, SIronen, Jacks, Elgey,
    Aubs, Cotric, Whare, Suli
    Gutherson, Smat, B Kelly, Hayne RTS

Im thinking, BE dependent, upgrading Afoa (96k ITB), via a washout of some sort.
    FebruaryChamp

Post by FebruaryChamp Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:16 am

I got 842 with Winterstein being my lowest scorer.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:21 am

848 for me

Moga, Sironen and Kelly in there stinking things up in an otherwise good round
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:43 am

I've never played this league before so what's the tactic from here? Try and shore up the wfb/c slots to up the weekly points?
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:28 am

By the way, are there any other quirks/ important tactics fir this format of fantasy? I understand the pricing (and the difference from Nrl.com fantasy) anything else important to know?
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:29 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:By the way, are there any other quirks/ important tactics fir this format of fantasy? I understand the pricing (and the difference from Nrl.com fantasy) anything else important to know?

I find that with this comp (more so than others) it is really, really hard to make ground on the leaders.
    Probably because of the scoring which tends to lead to very similar top teams.

Thus it is important to have a really strong 17 with the remaining blokes used to make $$ and then downgraded to NPR's.

Origin period is really important too as it will tend to sort out the winners from that top 100.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:I've never played this league before so what's the tactic from here? Try and shore up the wfb/c slots to up the weekly points?

On team structure, spend your big $$ on the forwards and halves.

CTR and WFB's will need some solid scorers but they won't be your big ticket items and later in the comp, you may even look at playing one less WFB/CTR and having an auto emergency from the forwards.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 am

Thanks for the tips mate, makes sense and really helpful. A little demoralizing though, sounds like I could be too far behind already? What about any loop holes ? Dies the captain loophole work here too?
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:Thanks for the tips mate, makes sense and really helpful. A little demoralizing though, sounds like I could be too far behind already?  What about any loop holes ? Dies the captain loophole work here too?

This is the old style captain's loophole.

More flexibile than fantasy - same as supercoach.

Keep an eye out on guys who have only played 2 games.
    Corey Norman, Jason Taumalolo in particular are due a big rise next time they play so if you can bring them in early can rake in big bucks.

Also its not that hard to catch up points. There is still 23 rounds to do it in and plenty of injuries / byes to give you opportunity to score well.

All it takes is 1 gun to get injured early in a game and you can catch up 50 pojts on anyone who has him.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:18 am

Milchcow wrote:

This is the old style captain's loophole.

More flexibile than fantasy - same as supercoach.

Keep an eye out on guys who have only played 2 games.
    Corey Norman, Jason Taumalolo in particular are due a big rise next time they play so if you can bring them in early can rake in big bucks.

Also its not that hard to catch up points. There is still 23 rounds to do it in and plenty of injuries / byes to give you opportunity to score well.

All it takes is 1 gun to get injured early in a game and you can catch up 50 pojts on anyone who has him.

Thanks mate, yeah pricing is about the only thing familiar to me due to playing NFL and Rugby Union fantasy on Sportsdeck so for sure I'll have a bit of a look at the guys who have played just the 2 games. Norman looks real solid Im just a little nervous of hamstring injuries....

Would you mind explaining the "old" loophole? not sure if I have been round long enough (or am onto it enough) to know the the difference between the old and new ones.

Turns out I've moved up to 9th and caught up 50 points on first, stoked.

Last edited by Rippin and Tearin on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:29 am

Sorry, last question.

Scoring is a bit different to NRL.com fantasy obviously, but fundamentally what defines the difference? Is it that sports deck rewards attacking more and penalises errors more?

Can you guys think of any obvious examples where players in sports deck are far better than NRL,com scoring wise?

Cheers.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:33 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

Thanks mate, yeah the pricing thing is familiar to me due to playing NFL and Rugby Union fantasy on Sportsdeck so for sure I'll have a bit of a look at the guys who have played just the 2 games. Norman looks real solid Im just a little nervous of hamstring injuries....

Would you mind explaining the "old" loophole? not sure if I have been round long enough (or am onto it enough) to know the the difference between the old and new ones.

Turns out I've moved up to 9th and caught up 50 points on first, stoked.

You can change Captain and Vice during the round (as long as they haven't played yet)

So to exploit the loophole, name a VC who plays first
    If he scores really well, then sub out the worst player in your 17, and sub in someone who won't be playing that round and make him captain.
    As your new captain gets 0, you'll get double vice captain's score.
    You'll also get an AE to replace your new captain.

Note that it can still backfire - eg if you tried it this week then getting 8 points as AE from Suli might negate any benefit from your VCs big score, so it works best later in the season when you have cashed out all your cows and have a team full of decent scorers and NPRs

Its better than the fantasy loophole though, in that at least you can keep your original captain in your scoring 17, just no double points.
    In Fantasy to loophole you have to take your captain out of the 17, which means you lose his score altogether, unless he is your AE - hence people only loopholing with 17 or less players

Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Ah I see, thanks heaps mate, makes sense. By the way, is this considered a dick move? or do you pretty much have to do it to stay competitive?

Also, any idea how that might work in Union fantasy (on SportsDeck)?

In Union you seem to be able to change captains mid round too, but in Union each position has its own AE, so as far as I can tell your bench player will sub in in each respective position if you have a player that didn't play that round. And I think that is the case for all positions no matter how many non-playing guys you have - i.e. you could have one in each round.

Therefore based on that it seems you could use the same loophole as you describe above, but without worrying about having to sub a player out, because that player would get the score anyway (as the sub for the non-scoring player in that position).

Am I making sense? Also, in rugby almost every round there are at least a couple teams with byes so you can almost guarantee you'll have a non-scoring player in your team to exploit the loophole (if it exists in the way I think it might).

Interested to hear what you think.
    Simon Templar
    Simon Templar

Post by Simon Templar Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Aardvark Ratnick wrote:Nice win ST - what a Barry Crocker I,ve had sorry in advanced for letting leagues down Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Thanks AR. It was a tough round for all of us.
    Simon Templar
    Simon Templar

Post by Simon Templar Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:57 pm

VSDT League Rankings 2017 - Round 3

League = Average/team/round = Ranking

Official FF Leagues

FantasyFanatics L1 = 801.7 = 1st
    FantasyFanatics L3 = 786.6 = 4th
    FantasyFanatics L2 = 771.6 = 21st

Unofficial Leagues

Bullbender League = 784.0 = 7th
    STDK (+10) Randoms = 725.3 = 85th

COMMENT: L1 (1st) playing like the defending champs that they are. Good stuff from L3 (4th). What's doing with L2 (21st)?
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Simon Templar wrote:VSDT League Rankings 2017 - Round 3

League = Average/team/round = Ranking

Official FF Leagues

FantasyFanatics L1 = 801.7 = 1st
    FantasyFanatics L3 = 786.6 = 4th
    FantasyFanatics L2 = 771.6 = 21st

Unofficial Leagues

Bullbender League = 784.0 = 7th
    STDK (+10) Randoms = 725.3 = 85th

COMMENT: L1 (1st) playing like the defending champs that they are. Good stuff from L3 (4th). What's doing with L2 (21st)?

Is it too late for me to join a league? Currently sitting about 50 points behind first.
    Simon Templar
    Simon Templar

Post by Simon Templar Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

Is it too late for me to join a league? Currently sitting about 50 points behind first.

Unfortunately it is too late R&T, because DT won't let us change the make-up of any leagues after the season has already started.

Make sure you get in next year mate. We usually start taking entries in late January, and the leagues are ideally finalised about a week before Round 1 lockout starts.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Simon Templar wrote:

Unfortunately it is too late R&T, because DT won't let us change the make-up of any leagues after the season has already started.

Make sure you get in next year mate. We usually start taking entries in late January, and the leagues are ideally finalised about a week before Round 1 lockout starts.

Thanks for letting me know. Next yr then.
    Simon Templar
    Simon Templar

Post by Simon Templar Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

Thanks for letting me know. Next yr then.

Awesome. Don't forget mate. Very Happy

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:20 pm