NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

State of Origin Game 3

Pieman
    Pieman

State of Origin Game 3 - Page 10 Empty Re: State of Origin Game 3

Post by Pieman Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:13 pm

Ice wrote:I just can't wait for next year, I just think thee is gonna be a massive shift in culture with Gallen not the Skipper, but I do fear the ramifications of Woods being skipper, he is too much of a joker for mine.  A Lot will depend on Daleys decision.  I'm not sure who I'd go as captain to be honest, there is no long term certainty in the side who will play the full 80 minutes.

Hayne being back will be an interesting one.

Obviously I think he should be in the 1.  We made the mistake for years of not putting him there and when we finally do he dominates and we win the series but Tedesco clearly isn't as dynamic and versatile so the fear is Hayne will be dumped on the wing or in the centres and Qld will win 2-1 again.

My main objective is to get our best backline players in the side.

1. Hayne (Obvious pick in the 1)
    2. Mansour (Think people are being too harsh on his slip, saw little ball outside Jennings in attack but fulfilled the role of hard running winger from kicks well, deserves to go around again)
    3. Tedesco (Crazy I know, but why couldn't who do exactly what Jennings does, similar size, shape and speed, solid enough defender, we simply have to find room for our best back line players, but I think Jennings will likely be there)
    4. Bird
    5. Ferguson (would be unlucky to be dropped based on back half of game 3 and his first ever Origin game and if he can get back to his best, he is great under the highball and matches up well with Oates. It may be a little early for TT as it would be a tough assignment against Oates, and he clearly would be at a size disadvantage, I'd like to see him tear it up for Manly in the 1 for another year)
    6. Moylan (will be far better for the series run, in both FB and at 6, people ragging on his defence but he missed only one tackle and had more defensive work than any other half. Just needs a protector to help him out, nothing different to any other half, think Lockyer, Thurston et al.
    7. Maloney (no reason to drop him after that series.
    8. Woods
    9. Peats (I still argue he is our best option going forward for the next half decade, get him in and lets see what he brings)
    10. Klemmer (Time the crazy one started)
    11. Jackson (still not 100% convinced but tough to drop)
    12. Frizell (Great introduction to Origin)
    13. Graham (Some classy touches including his inside ball to Maloney I believe, that was quality game management, threw one into the crowd but that is rare for him, I can forgive it)

14. Pearce (Yep, crazy I know, but Im working on the Cronk theory that this is when he should be debuting, not 8 years ago, can cover Peats for a period and defend in the line without any worry)
    15. Cordner
    16. Fifita (yeah yeah, brain explosion, but was killing it before that moment)
    17. JTurbo (can play big minutes, in the middle or on the edges)

Plenty of variables on that obviously. Especially the bench.
    Have you not seen how big TTrbo is? He's huge, and with a year of weights under his belt he will fill out even more next year.
    I too like pearce as the 14. I have said it for years, that is his best position in SOO.
    Mansour slipped because he was out of position and people arent being harsh enough on him IMO, if we dont score that miracle, Mansour costs NSW the game.
    Moylan missed one tackle which lead directly to the try - Cooper. He didnt really miss it either, he just got dragged back far enough for Cooper to score. Not many 6's would have made that tackle 1 on 1. He did, however though, make a tackle and hold on, but got dragged like 8m Heaps and heaps of times. He may not have missed the tackle but he was getting dominated.

That is basically what the side will be barring injury. I can see Fergo and Tedesco swapping around tho.
    I also wouldnt be surprised if hayne played 6 if he comes back
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:14 pm

Ice wrote:If Thurston or Cronk were to go down, who plays in the Halves?  On form you'd have to pick Norman wouldn't you.

I can't see Morgan being dropped for Milford as the benchie, so Milford is still a few years away for mine, same for Hunt.  Napa is a certainty, and Cooper probably deserves to go around again, thought he was solid on debut. Again, youd have him before Guerra and possibly Smallmin Sam has had his time in the son.  Would have been a smart move for him to go out with Parker.  Both have been stalwarts but Parker was more valuable than Sam this series and I think both going together would have been fitting and ushered in some generational change in the forwards at a timely moment.

The order of priority for QLD halves is probably something like:
    1. Thurston
    2. Cronk
    3. Morgan
    4. Hunt
    5. Norman
    6. DCE
    7. Milford

And therein lies our advantage (together with Smith).
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:34 pm

Who is Smith's successor?

McCullough?
    Friend?

Both are average IMO. Friend gets through a lot of work but in attack, is improving, but doesnt do all that much.
    Same with McCullough, but I dont think he is improving at all.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:38 pm

Dip wrote:

The order of priority for QLD halves is probably something like:
    1. Thurston
    2. Cronk
    3. Morgan
    4. Hunt
    5. Norman
    6. DCE
    7. Milford

And therein lies our advantage (together with Smith).

I think it depends which half is unavailable.
    If Thurston goes down I think they go with DCE.
    If Cronk goes down I think they go with Morgan.
    If Both go down they may go for Milford and Hunt.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:40 pm

Who ever said it the other day is right IMO.
    When Smith, Cronk, Thurston all retire from rep stuff - its likely to be at the same time.
    Sure they will have some quality players in Morgan/Milford/DCE/Hunt to replace them but geez its a big shock to the team if all those legends drop out at once.

I mean, going from having Smith, Cronk, Thurston to McCullough, Hunt, Milford is pretty fucking amazingly different and not even close to being as good (admittedly they are the best big 3 ever)
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:57 pm

Pieman wrote:Who is Smith's successor?

McCullough?
    Friend?

Both are average IMO. Friend gets through a lot of work but in attack, is improving, but doesnt do all that much.
    Same with McCullough, but I dont think he is improving at all.

Probably Friend, though chances are the bench utility becomes someone like a Jake Glanville, James Segeyaro type of attacking halfback (or whoever is the best player in that role in 2018, 2019 or whenever that might be). The way Smith is going, retirement might still be some time away and his successor might be the next Cam Smith and not even have played first grade yet.

McCullough is under-rated by everyone except Broncos supporters. A large part of our mid season slump is due to him being missing through injury.

While of course all options are a step down from Smith, you've got to remember that when he retires, in all likelihood Farah and Ennis are retired to, and at the moment there is just as big a gap to Nathan Peats, Mitch Rein or whoever is NSW best option. Sometimes also rep football can be the making of a player.

Funny thing about hookers, the role evolves so much over time. Steve Walters was universally regarded as the best hooker ever. Then he retired and almost immediately Buderus was universally regarded the best hooker ever. Then Smith became universally acknowledged as the best hooker ever. Maybe that's coincidence. If not, whoever Australia's next long term hooker is will be one hell of a player.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:09 pm

Revraiser wrote:That's the best quote from my post HS ??

Faarken qlder ! Lol only jiving.

Dugan suddenly coming at soeed right in front of Inglis, who braces for the immediate contact. The height is dugans fault. Best way to get to the bottom of this is answer the following - what else should inglis have done in this exact case ? He has no other options.

Tackle him? Why is he running up to Dugan and bracing for impact? That's a contradiction in terms. If you brace for something you should be stationary not moving up towards someone. The height is not Dugan fault as it's up to the defender to get the tackle right.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:01 pm

Revraiser wrote:That's the best quote from my post HS ??

Faarken qlder ! Lol only jiving.

Dugan suddenly coming at soeed right in front of Inglis, who braces for the immediate contact. The height is dugans fault. Best way to get to the bottom of this is answer the following - what else should inglis have done in this exact case ? He has no other options.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:35 am

I've just seen the Cam Smith interview in the sheds. What an absolute piece of shit. All this rubbish about QLD being humble is the biggest load of wank.

The Blues should have saving all those videos up and replaying them in camp. Comment from. JT, Smith, McGuire. Shows how poor they are as winners lately. The charade is up, no one buys their humble rubbish anymore. Considering we're the ones being called poor sports out of this and the QLD players are carrying on like absolute bellends.

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:43 am

Must be that time of the month for Honeysett. Never seen you so moody.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:50 am

Gallen got outplayed - off the field. That's what it came down to.

He came out during the week and made his comments about being "bad winners" and so forth. If you're going to put yourself out there on public record, you should probably not offer up a nice juicy fat one right over the plate: Cam Smith hit it out of the park.

And rightly so. I sincerely doubt there's any QLDer that's really offended by it, but if you're going to mouth off, then immediately be a bellend, what do you expect?

As someone said earlier: a fitting end for a dopey career. Over a decade of mediocrity bookending a few highlights, much the same way as you celebrate getting off the special bus unassisted: don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:26 am

I like how Gallen said he made antagonizing comments to try and build up Origin and get the crowds rolling in lol!

All it did was show how much of an angry little man he is at losing to the champion QLD team year after year.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:37 am

If the QLD players really cared about why would they take photos with the blues players after? Parker and Gallen in particular.

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:26 pm

Pieman wrote:If the QLD players really cared about why would they take photos with the blues players after? Parker and Gallen in particular.
    Surely SURELY this doesnt need to be explained to you? SURELY. Please tell me you are not THAT stupid?
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Bren wrote:
    Surely SURELY this doesnt need to be explained to you? SURELY. Please tell me you are not THAT stupid?

Excuse me?
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Missed most of the game because I was in Fiji, just watching the replay on fox now.
    Gee the Ch9 commentators are a chore to listen to. They are honestly spending more time whinging about the rules than describing the action. It's amazing how much I don't miss them during the regular season
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:16 pm

Milchcow wrote:
    Missed most of the game because I was in Fiji,  just watching the replay on fox now.
    Gee the Ch9 commentators are a chore to listen to.  They are honestly spending more time  whinging about the rules than describing the action. It's amazing how much I don't miss them during the regular season

Fuck man... moved house and no longer have foxtel.
    Listening to the channel 9 blokes makes me want to blow my brains out. The fox team is just lightyears better than the channel 9 team.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:14 pm

It all comes from the Kerry Packer days, getting ex-players in the commentary box. It was going fine with Richie, but the formula is broken. For every half decent commentator (Mick Ennis, Michael Hussey), we have to deal with the morons.

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:59 pm

dasherhalo wrote:It all comes from the Kerry Packer days, getting ex-players in the commentary box. It was going fine with Richie, but the formula is broken. For every half decent commentator (Mick Ennis, Michael Hussey), we have to deal with the morons.

That is certainly a part of it, but even just the full time professional callers are shit. Rabs is horrible these days.
    Gus, yeah former player - is just as bad as rabs.
    Sterlo is great.
    Fatty is horrible when origin is on.
    Wally, bumbles a bit but hes ok.
    Johns is bad but i love him because he is johns.
    Lockey is worse than johns but I love him because he is locky.
    Freddy is horrific but is kinda funny.

The fox sports commentators just outshine the 9 blokes in just about every aspect.

dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:55 am

Yeah, agreed. My point is because there's a quota of ex players to fill, it doesn't leave room for better quality non players to get on air and force the shite out.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:47 pm