NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Round 14 Match Thread

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Round 14 Match Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: Round 14 Match Thread

Post by No Worries Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:33 am

Bren wrote:
    Yeah Josh Addo-Carr was great last night.
    My sources told me we matched Melbourne's offer. Media says he didn't want to leave Sydney. Don't know what happened there.

Round 14 Match Thread  - Page 4 20eafc270474310df7446987d85118ca60c688aefca203e47217d8818b9a3b0c
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:59 am

Bren wrote:
    Yeah Josh Addo-Carr was great last night.

Haha yeah wow he had a shocker!

@yourname - he tried to backflip after he signed but the 10 day cooling off period had expired.

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Archer wrote:
    Honestly, I'm not sure If you're just trying to wind me up or if you actually believed that article.

1) He was 19 last year and playing in Mounties rather than U20's a clear sign he was being groomed for 1st grade. I'm not sure who calls that 'languishing in reserve grade.
    2) The article you are referring to says

And yet there are articles from October last year saying the broncos were chasing him.

I mean the date of his signing announcement should tell any reasonable person that's garbage ffs.
    3) A bloke who feels like he isn't getting a run in FG, chooses to go from the Raiders (Who over this year and last have played Barnett, Priest, Kennedy, Bateman and his eventual replacement Tapine) to the Broncos because he though't he'd get a better shot there? Really? Gillet, Thaiday, Blair, Parker, Glenn, McGuire, whatever other rep gun I've forgotten and the guy thinks, yep that's an easier way into FG.

Anyway I could go on but I think I've convinced myself you are just winding me up. I fell for it Sad Well played!

and yet, said articles have direct quotes from Pangai & Bennett:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/how-wayne-bennett-stole-young-gun-tevita-pangai-from-under-ricky-stuarts-nose/news-story/ab2a77527e76843e12d210e2e22d2049?nk=653af5e54b2dc100d3bc804d0abc40d2-1465609821

“He rang me up,” Bennett said. “I just told him to hop off the phone and I’ll get him here as quick as I can.

“I was surprised when he rang me but the guy is smart, he knows he only has a few opportunities in rugby league and if he doesn’t make good decisions and good choices, you can be at four or five clubs before you are marched out of the competition.

“He realised what he needed and made the phone call to me.

“Tevita is in that rare category of players that has got something. I don’t want to give him a big head but he has a point of difference.

“He didn’t have to convince me about a whole lot of things. He just had to come here and do a bit of time and get used to the club and the people in it. It’s worked for us.”

"I had to move to Canberra for family issues when I was 16 so I didn't get a chance to play under Wayne when I was at Newcastle so I was keen to link up with him this time," Pangai told NRL.com.

"It was a tough choice because my family had settled in well in Canberra. But I had to make the best decision for myself and that was going to Brisbane. I just wanted to have that chance to play with Wayne.

"He probably doesn't have that many more years left in coaching so hopefully I can learn from him before he moves onto the next chapter of his life."

as for your last point, he is actually in our 17 now, so clearly there was a spot for him here. Those Raiders players you named are lesser players, but they were in front of him and not going anywhere. All those Broncos rep players you named have rep duties to attend to, and over that origin period our depth gets a real work-out, i have no doubts he circled off the game against the Tigers as his chance to put his foot in door and demand selection going forward.
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:47 pm

surmo13 wrote:

and yet, said articles have direct quotes from Pangai & Bennett:

as for your last point, he is actually in our 17 now, so clearly there was a spot for him here. Those Raiders players you named are lesser players, but they were in front of him and not going anywhere. All those Broncos rep players you named have rep duties to attend to, and over that origin period our depth gets a real work-out, i have no doubts he circled off the game against the Tigers as his chance to put his foot in door and demand selection going forward.
    K, now you've just stopped trying. "But they have quotes", right players never lie and Bennett is the most honest bloke in rugby league Shocked. Those guys weren't in front of him btw, Kennedy hasn't played FG this year, Tapine who was his direct replacement has played pretty much every game since coming, Priest only made his FG debut after Tapine and Barnett was let go to the Knights.... Honestly mate it was kinda fun i guess when you put in effort. Now.... Look, you win, I'm done.

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:37 pm

Archer wrote:
    K, now you've just stopped trying. "But they have quotes", right players never lie and Bennett is the most honest bloke in rugby league Shocked. Those guys weren't in front of him btw, Kennedy hasn't played FG this year, Tapine who was his direct replacement has played pretty much every game since coming, Priest only made his FG debut after Tapine and Barnett was let go to the Knights.... Honestly mate it was kinda fun i guess when you put in effort. Now.... Look, you win, I'm done.

So rumours are facts and direct quotes are lies? Why would they even feel the need to concoct a story in the first place, the Broncos did nothing underhanded to sign him (as much as some around would like to think so), why bother lying when they could just say the standard "we liked the look of him so we signed him up" and no-one would bat an eyelid?
    Finch
    Finch

Post by Finch Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:01 pm

If Storm score next, I'm turning the PS4 on again.
    Finch
    Finch

Post by Finch Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:05 pm

Well that was fast LOL
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:27 pm

Pangai causing a ruckus!

Playing battleborn Finch?
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:16 am

surmo13 wrote:

So rumours are facts and direct quotes are lies? Why would they even feel the need to concoct a story in the first place, the Broncos did nothing underhanded to sign him (as much as some around would like to think so), why bother lying when they could just say the standard "we liked the look of him so we signed him up" and no-one would bat an eyelid?
    Cool You're good I'll give you that, got halfway through typing a response before I realised you'd baited me in again. It's just the right balance to make people think someone might be that silly, but not sure about it. I'll have to watch you closer I think see If i can't pick up a thing or two myself.

Post by Guest Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:31 am

Archer wrote:
    Cool You're good I'll give you that, got halfway through typing a response before I realised you'd baited me in again. It's just the right balance to make people think someone might be that silly, but not sure about it. I'll have to watch you closer I think see If i can't pick up a thing or two myself.

what exactly is silly about what i said? What on earth do the Broncos or Pangai have to gain from making up what is nothing more than an interesting anecdote, long after its all been said and done? if it was in the middle of an ongoing contract and he had requested his release, then sure, take it with a grain of salt.

We signed him off-contract, all done legit and within the rules, if it's as you described, all Wayne had to say was "we think Pangai is a magnificent young talent so we chased him hard etc. etc.", all Pangai had to say was "I loved my time at Canberra, but i couldn't refuse an opportunity like this etc. etc.", the journalists go back to the office and print those quotes, the broncos fans are happy to have him, the anti-broncos fans accuse us of breaching the salary cap, the raiders fans froth at the mouth about us 'stealing' talent that they don't remember they 'stole' from another club, and life goes on as per usual...

But instead we have the article making the rounds with the current quotes, which serve absolutely no purpose for any of the parties, but 3 journos from NRL.com, the CM and the DT get to write about it and collect a pay-check and a bunch of punters can read about it, think to themselves "huh, interesting", then close the page and go about their day.
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:14 am

Round 14 Match Thread  - Page 4 200

Post by Guest Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:42 am

Archer wrote:Round 14 Match Thread  - Page 4 200

convincing argument, i have now seen the error of my ways, clearly the Broncos & Pangai colluded to fabricate a cover story to mask the fact that the Broncos committed the heinous crime of signing a soon to be off-contract player, who they talked to in the final year of his current contract.

to come back to an earlier point, it's interesting you claim those players you named weren't ahead of him, an article about Ricky Stuart's plan for this year from December of last year (before Pangai put pen to paper with Brisbane) would seem to indicate otherwise: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/canberra-raiders-youngsters-get-chance-to-lead-from-the-front-20151229-glw57s.html

"Young Bateman, Barnett and Kennedy have got a great opportunity to put their hand up for number five or six front row," Stuart said.

"There's a great opportunity for those young boys to get some good first grade time this year, and I couldn't be happier with the way they've trained.

surely Sticky would be earmarking Pangai if he had any intentions to play him over those 3?
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:18 am

There's no need to put up any more argument. You are clearly very in love with your club and believe they can do no wrong. I won't change your mind, so I've stopped trying. Agree to disagree
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:19 am

I've been interstate for work. I thought the Broncos had a new fan in Archer... Nice avatar!

What happened? Did you lose a bet?

Post by Guest Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:39 am

dasherhalo wrote:I've been interstate for work. I thought the Broncos had a new fan in Archer... Nice avatar!

lol!
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:33 am

The thing that angers me the most, is Pangai is a Newcastle jr.

He would literally be our best forward if he stayed.

So the raiders poach newcastle juniors, Bronco's poach raider juniors, roosters poach everyone's jrs, sharks poach tigers, parra poach manly

Post by Guest Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:27 am

Archer wrote:There's no need to put up any more argument. You are clearly very in love with your club and believe they can do no wrong. I won't change your mind, so I've stopped trying. Agree to disagree

no, please enlighten me, are we forbidden from buying players? are we not allowed to buy good players? were we supposed to release a rep player in order to afford some-one that hadn't played a single NRL game?
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:37 pm

surmo13 wrote:

no, please enlighten me, are we forbidden from buying players? are we not allowed to buy good players? were we supposed to release a rep player in order to afford some-one that hadn't played a single NRL game?
    Like a dog with a bone. Look I won't talk about the broncos anymore as I said. But if we were talking about two completely different teams, a lot of people would question why a player would sign for a team with far more talent ahead of him in his position and for far less money.

When people pointed out that his previous club replaced him with a guy who has played FG constantly and was rumored to be on 500k a year for four years (likely inflated a little but the real number is still going to be far from minimum wage), you'd probably be pretty sceptical of any articles which came out to say the guy actually sought out the other club to say "please can I come and patiently sit behind your all star lineup until they get picked for rep duties". You might even suspect that the only reason someone would do that would be some form of financial incentive. How they would be able to offer more (or even close) to his previous club and remain within the salary cap given the previously mentioned rep lineup, who knows.

However we aren't talking about different clubs, In this scenario TPJ turned down good money and good opportunity to seek out the Broncos to play for less and behind a better lineup (rather than seeking out another club who may pay more AND have a weaker lineup if he was intent on leaving his current) and I'm happy to believe that. It happens all the time and the newspapers told me it, so it must be true.

Look at my flair, I'm on your side. LETS GO, BRONCOS.

Err, my bad wrong one, sorry still a little new to this. Let me try again.

Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:39 pm

dasherhalo wrote:I've been interstate for work. I thought the Broncos had a new fan in Archer... Nice avatar!

If you can't beat them..
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:47 pm

I only saw it on the highlights, but what was the go with that Tony Williams pass to himself? I thought they outlawed that back in Dally Messengers day.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:01 am