NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRLFF community managed fantasy team

Cap'n Ranta
    Cap'n Ranta

NRLFF community managed fantasy team - Page 10 Empty Re: NRLFF community managed fantasy team

Post by Cap'n Ranta Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:08 pm

On it. Will set one up now.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

NRLFF community managed fantasy team - Page 10 Empty Re: NRLFF community managed fantasy team

Post by mattnz Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:20 pm

I have compiled the early results of the 2nd method using an online poll. Looking pretty similar overall and looks pretty balanced, with cover for all positions, 4 x <$250k NPRs (plus 1 in the team, Brown) and decent bench strength.

While some players that put us over cap needed to be omitted (listed below with their vote tallies), there was only 1 solution that worked within budget, so no additional voting was required to form the team.

Macca
    Fifita TPJ
    Murray Arrow Stimson
    Morgan Brown
    Capewell Holland
    Edwards Drinkwater CNK

Mahoney Tolman Bird Egan
    Nikora Allan Keighran Lomax

Omitted due to cap constraints: Votes
    Cleary                                   10
    Tedesco                                   10
    Crichton                                   9
    Watson                                   7

In the bank $51,000

Last edited by mattnz on Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : formatting)
    Iron Mike
    Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:54 pm

mattnz wrote:I have compiled the early results of the 2nd method using an online poll. Looking pretty similar overall and looks pretty balanced, with cover for all positions, 4 x <$250k NPRs (plus 1 in the team, Brown) and decent bench strength.

While some players that put us over cap needed to be omitted (listed below with their vote tallies), there was only 1 solution that worked within budget, so no additional voting was required to form the team.

Macca
    Fifita TPJ
    Murray Arrow Stimson
    Morgan Brown
    Capewell Holland
    Edwards Drinkwater CNK

Mahoney Tolman Bird Egan

Cleary                                      10
    Tedesco                                    10
    Crichton                                     9
    Watson                                      7

In the bank $51,000

Love the forward pack, but to be honest, that is a pretty risky midranger backline which could screw the team if it fails. Do we really need all of Bird, Nikora, and Lomax as cover for a team that has spent so much in the centres? Namely Bird?

It is actually pretty similar to my team at the moment:

Me: Cleary + Watson + Leilua + Twal + Burr vs Team: Morgan + CNK + Holland + Tolman + Macca.

Looks a pretty good team really and not sure which I like better. I think Watson will go nuts with Tbs and run metres this year.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:42 pm

Iron Mike wrote:

Love the forward pack, but to be honest, that is a pretty risky midranger backline which could screw the team if it fails. Do we really need all of Bird, Nikora, and Lomax as cover for a team that has spent so much in the centres? Namely Bird?

It is actually pretty similar to my team at the moment:

Me: Cleary + Watson + Leilua + Twal + Burr vs Team: Morgan + CNK + Holland + Tolman  + Macca.

Looks a pretty good team really and not sure which I like better. I think Watson will go nuts with Tbs and run metres this year.

Ones like Teddy (10) and Watson (7) got a reasonable number of votes but put us way over the cap. The only way to get higher cost WFBs is to drop other players that had much higher votes in other positions that are very much consensus picks.

I expect that TLT will throw up a number of value options that rearrange the format of the team, with more mid-range forwards. Currently it is very top-heavy in the forwards. Stimson is currently the only $400k range player, with a big gap between Nikora $212k and Murray $595k.

But some of these options below are going to suddenly appear at TLT in that range that are going to be great value, that mix up the team balance a lot, either removing some top heavy picks, freeing up cash for less mid-rangers at WFB to be upgraded to guns/sub-guns, or if ones like Nikora aren't named, forcing more basement cost WFBs to fit under the cap:
    Sue starting @ $433k
    Napa starting @ $355k
    Leilua starting @ $447k
    Carty starting 2nd row @ $273k (controversial I know, but if named starting 2nd row as some predict, most are likely to pick him at that price point for the significant upside potential if he turns it around).

Additional bargain WFBs always appear at TLT, and if ones like Sivo are named he is sure to be a very playable WFB in most teams here at $212k, freeing up cash from a mid-ranger like CNK. Sivo has averaged 2 tries per game over both full seasons the last 2 years, he is built for fantasy, just needs a start.

Personally I think Bird is a trap compared with other options out there. If Nikora is named to start in 2nd row, his upside vs cost is incomparable to Bird's.

I think Bird (7) / Holland (10) / Capewell (18) / Nikora (13) is the one position where I very much doubt many, if any, have all 4 in their team, but they have all polled highly and because of their cost, when we need to be cap compliant, they all get in the team ahead of Teddy (10), Cleary (10), Crichton (9), Watson (7).

Note that the top 21 players regardless of cap, would be $1.5M over the cap, not a small amount. Nikora will become more polarizing if named (then a must have in every team vote and likely replacing Bird in most teams that had Bird), or if not named, then he will be missing in every vote, so TLT should sort this out and only have 3 of the 4 selected.

This is why I think it is so important to start again from scratch at TLT as the current team structure doesn't reflect the extreme value available from outlier TLT selections that totally change the balance of the team. This method of team selection allows for a very fast, transparent way to select a team within 24 hours.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:42 am

mattnz wrote:I have compiled the early results of the 2nd method using an online poll. Looking pretty similar overall and looks pretty balanced, with cover for all positions, 4 x <$250k NPRs (plus 1 in the team, Brown) and decent bench strength.

Macca
    Fifita TPJ
    Murray Arrow Stimson
    Morgan Brown
    Capewell Holland
    Edwards Drinkwater CNK

Mahoney Tolman Bird Egan

Cleary                                      10
    Tedesco                                    10
    Crichton                                     9
    Watson                                      7

In the bank $51,000

I like the team although I suspect with TLT more value will be apparent in the forwards, at which time I image there will be a reshuffle. I agree with Mike that hopefully that reshuffle would involve de-risking a bit - Bird out, and perhaps Fifi/TPH out to permit 2 more value picks. For example the likes of Leilua and Fotuaika might required if TLT plays out like some people are suggesting.

The basis of the team looks really solid though.

Im wondering if, come TLT, it might be useful to throw together a poll that lists all the fringe value guys we have been talking about - but that haven't got a position cemented currently in their respective starting lineups (e.g Leilua who currently doesn't have many votes due to the JDB factor but who would be straight in a number of teams if he starts the year and JDB is gone). That would quite quickly allow us to rank the guys that we need to find places for at the expense of guys that are currently in the team but received relatively few votes... Just a thought.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:07 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

I like the team although I suspect with TLT more value will be apparent in the forwards, at which time I image there will be a reshuffle. I agree with Mike that hopefully that reshuffle would involve de-risking a bit - Bird out, and perhaps Fifi/TPH out to permit 2 more value picks. For example the likes of Leilua and Fotuaika might required if TLT plays out like some people are suggesting.

The basis of the team looks really solid though.

Im wondering if, come TLT, it might be useful to throw together a poll that lists all the fringe value guys we have been talking about - but that haven't got a position cemented currently in their respective starting lineups (e.g Leilua who currently doesn't have many votes due to the JDB factor but who would be straight in a number of teams if he starts the year and JDB is gone). That would quite quickly allow us to rank the guys that we need to find places for at the expense of guys that are currently in the team but received relatively few votes... Just a thought.

A new poll post TLT will quickly resolve the team balance and select those that fit with it. Hard to make decisions in isolation.

We saw already the difference of Haas being suspended, which occurred between the first  team selection method and the second one. It instantly changes the selections and balance.

I would expect Fifi (14 votes) and TPJ (10) to remain in the team, likely Stimson (14) and Tolman (10) getting replaced by other forwards that provide better value, with more upside potential. I would have a starting Leilua over Stimson any day, and a starting Napa or Sue should offer better upside value than Tolman in that pack.

I am actually surprised Tolman is so popular, his PPM of 0.73 last season with an average of 56 minutes, even if he went to a very top end 65 minutes (huge for a middle, only Surgess, Jurbo, Lolo are in that range, even guys like Fifi only averaged 57 minutes last season), while retaining his PPM, that would only be an extra 6 points per game, hitting a 47 point average and still needing an upgrade to a gun at some point.
    Iron Mike
    Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:09 am

mattnz wrote:

A new poll post TLT will quickly resolve the team balance and select those that fit with it. Hard to make decisions in isolation.

We saw already the difference of Haas being suspended, which occurred between the first  team selection method and the second one. It instantly changes the selections and balance.

I would expect Fifi (14 votes) and TPJ (10) to remain in the team, likely Stimson (14) and Tolman (10) getting replaced by other forwards that provide better value, with more upside potential. I would have a starting Leilua over Stimson any day, and a starting Napa or Sue should offer better upside value than Tolman in that pack.

I am actually surprised Tolman is so popular, his PPM of 0.73 last season with an average of 56 minutes, even if he went to a very top end 65 minutes (huge for a middle, only Surgess, Jurbo, Lolo are in that range, even guys like Fifi only averaged 57 minutes last season), while retaining his PPM, that would only be an extra 6 points per game, hitting a 47 point average and still needing an upgrade to a gun at some point.

I concur with the Bird out talk, better to spend the 70K elsewhere. I'm loving the Fifi and TPJ front row, and am also surprised about the Tolman popularity, he doesn't have much upside and will be a 40 point plodder. I would have both Stimson and Leilua if starting. Wouldn't touch Napa or Sue.
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:22 am

I haven’t put my personal team together yet so unsure on the number of guns and cows we start with but in previous years wasn’t it something like 7/8 guns and 7/8 cows with the rest filled by kid rangers?

Looking at that team above I see maybe 5 guns.

How many of each do people have in their personal teams?
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:27 am

The reason I ask is because I think it’s more important to fill guns and then cows via vote then by position polls voting. As I posted at the beginning of the thread I would have had a poll for guns and a poll for cows made that the spine of the team and then had position polls to fill the remaining spots (with only players that fit the remaining salary)

While initially unsure on milchs idea I have started to come around a little on it after reading peoples posts and if we continue with just the 2 current plans I’d lean to that team
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:40 am

Shanbon wrote:The reason I ask is because I think it’s more important to fill guns and then cows via vote then by position polls voting. As I posted at the beginning of the thread I would have had a poll for guns and a poll for cows made that the spine of the team and then had position polls to fill the remaining spots (with only players that fit the remaining salary)

While initially unsure on milchs idea I have started to come around a little on it after reading peoples posts and if we continue with just the 2 current plans I’d lean to that team

The current cap and 21 player format strongly favour value with upside picks, not straight guns. No one has more than 2-4 guns in their sides in fantasy. In supercoach you can add another 5 guns easily to that.

The most valuable players to pick are those not priced as guns that become guns this season, like Cook last season, that is who you want to identify. If you have 10 guys in that undervalued range, you will unearth a few that become guns.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:16 am

This is the team as it stands.

We will revisit after TLT to make sure we haven't picked any obvious duds, or missed any obvious bargains

Rasta and I have had a bit of a discussion and we have decided only to consider players who are in their starting 13 for their teams in round 1.
    Get some scoring from the start

McCullough
    Fifita Tolman
    Murray Arrow Stimson
    Morgan Brown
    Holland Nikora
    Tedesco Edwards Lomax

Capewell
    TPJ
    Mahoney
    Keighran

Burr
    Bird
    Allen
    Hopoate

Post by Guest Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:18 am

Looka good. Ready to roll
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:47 am

I think the main issue is weakness at WFB

Have to play 1 of Allen/Hopoate/Lomax which may not be ideal.

CNK and Brett Morris are the next best in line - including one of them would have flow on effects to the rest of team balance though
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:59 am

Milchy wrote:

CNK and Brett Morris are the next best in line - including one of them would have flow on effects to the rest of team balance though

At TLT Xerri could be available at WFB, trial form could indicate others that are more worthwhile playing, like Ravalawa who did great in his first trial.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:09 am

The idea of only starting 13 players really appeals to me and is something I've been looking at for my own team. Hats off to you guys for the work you're doing
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:09 am

Milchy wrote:

Dear me. If that fullback is a worry you don’t want to see my team. Teddy and Edwards!

Great going on this guys. I think the side is a good representative of a “Fanatics Template” which is exactly what it should be
    Cap'n Ranta
    Cap'n Ranta

Post by Cap'n Ranta Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:47 am

Team is looking good Smile

NRLFF community managed fantasy team - Page 10 Fanati10
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:04 am

Cap'n Ranta wrote:Team is looking good Smile

NRLFF community managed fantasy team - Page 10 Fanati10

That's a good looking team
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:13 am

If I wasn’t so slack I’d be tempted have a WAG copy of this team and try to beat you lot. I have a feeling that with lots of input the trading may end up being too risk averse for a really high finish.
    code delta
    code delta

Post by code delta Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:17 am

When does this team have to be submitted to that scout fella?? After TLT??
    Stimson is a worry.

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:43 pm