NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Pieman
    Pieman

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 36 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by Pieman Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:29 pm

Ice wrote:Wow, you guys really turn when The chips are down. You just got outplayed by a better coach, half and pack yesterday, but it's only one game, as I said,I think you'll bounce back.

oh mate its not as simple as that...

They had their biggest defeat in history and also the biggest finals loss in history, against another bottom 4 finals side. They scraped in, shouldn't have been there (not that any of those other teams in the bottom deserved it over them barring maybe the dogs) and shouldn't have been there last year either, they only made it in because of a couple of dodgy calls that got them W's early in the year.

The sheer magnitude of the loss means they need to look at how they do things and what players actually want to be there
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 36 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by MilfordTheMagician Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:41 pm

Ice wrote:Wow, you guys really turn when The chips are down. You just got outplayed by a better coach, half and pack yesterday, but it's only one game, as I said,I think you'll bounce back.

The chips have been down since 2006, I'm over the bullshit. Changes need to be made and the deadweight needs to go. Last season it started with Thaiday and Sims, this year it needs to be McCullough and Boyd.

my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:40 am

Pieman wrote:I found it absolutely crazy that they didnt try and get Maloney - Sezer has been told he can sign with other clubs too. He would be great. They are really banking on Deardon to become the next Cronk tho. They could even prob convince Pearce to leave newie.

Milf can play fullback, he just needs to lose some of the pudge and actually play in a fullback's body, not a hooker's body. He's even too tubby to play 6 IMO and has been for years.

Too many big headed young fellas who think they are king shit (not too dissimilar to newie) - who have not won anything. Tallis was spot on at the start of the season. They really need a James Graham or Corey Parker type to come and show them how to train, play for a full game and full season, and win.

White stepping down might help change the culture there too, since he has been in charge have they won anything?

I was really hoping we'd have gotten Maloney. He would have been a perfect fit. I'd be happy enough with Sezer too. I think we have to sign someone. We can't start the year with Dearden as our only option at 7. He might be the future, but a season in reserve grade might actually be better for him long term.

I don't really think there is a problem of young blokes with big heads. The team is incredibly lopsided. We fix our spine and things should fall into place. It is the senior players that are coasting out there. The young guys pull their weight but with any young guys, you can expect up and down periods.

my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:04 am

Garry usually on the mark. Hopefully this is correct.

Chris Garry
    @ChrisGarry7
    HEADS WILL ROLL!

Darius Boyd will lose captaincy and told he's free to leave now, Andrew McCullough to be told he's free to leave now... Milford to be told he's on his last chance.

All this as Brisbane have the most awkward Mad Monday.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:42 am

The news report also 7 said the same thing with mention they were banned from mad Monday celebrations and the footage looked like they were locked out of Red Hill.
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:34 am

Dip wrote:We don't even need a top level halfback like Cooper Cronk, just someone who can organise and have a half decent kicking game. Blake Green is the sort of player who comes to mind. I haven't really seen enough of Deardon to see if he can be that player, but initially he doesn't look to be that player. Perhaps we have to lose some talent to buy a potentially inferior player who is more what the team needs. I'd be prepared to trade TPJ given what we have in the forwards. I've listed a few players who would be worth asking the question to (I've excluded players who 100% won't be released like Keary).

Lets start from the top. The forward pack is fine, but needs an experienced leader. Glenn is the closest we have to that, but you need someone the other's will follow and end up being more consistent. Maybe Haas becomes that guy but that's too much to ask of a 19 year old. Call me crazy, and I know he'd be expensive, but if SBW wants a gig post RWC then maybe him.

If you don't have a hooker who can run, you can't win the comp. That hasn't been McCullough for a while now. I know he's only 29 but that's reality. I think Turpin will be well served with a season halfback to do that, and at least he has a go. I like Seggy off the bench but he's over 30 now so his running game will diminish (and wasn't that great this year anyway), and like Roberts, eventually ends up in trouble off field.

Milf is a 5/8. He gets caught out of position at fullback too often. He isn't an organiser though.

Boyd, thanks for your service, but you're too slow to be a fullback now, don't commit enough to tackles, and since you can't kick or run aren't a 5/8. Time to retire.

Gillett, I'll keep you because you've got a lot of credit and a lot of upside. I'm prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt that this year you were still overcoming a very serious injury. I just hope that it isn't something like Gorden Tallis, where a serious injury either cuts short your career or never lets you play to the same level again.

Plenty of time to negotiate trades or buy players for next year including possible releases so my template team for Round 1 20/20 would be something like this:

1. No idea. They don't have to be a ball player but they have to be able to catch, and run as fast as possible.
    2. Oates, but if he wants too much $$$ let him go for whatever Fiji 7's player wants a gig on a low contract.
    3. Bird
    4. Staggs (work on your defensive reads and draw and passes on the offseason)
    5. Isaako
    6. Milf (but put on notice for 2021)
    7. If I had to do a dream hit list it'd be Pearce/Moloney/Green/A Reynolds/Seizer
    8. Haas
    9. Turpin
    10. Lodge
    11. Glenn (need a forward leader)
    12. Fafita
    13. Gillett (but put on notice for 2021)
    14. Whatever reserve back trains the best and is not called Shibasaki
    15. Ofehengue
    16. Flegler
    17. Carrigan

When was the last time a team won without at least 1 top quality half/6, usually 2. Milf isn't one in his current condition and I doubt he ever will be,so I think youprobably do need a top level half, the question is who as you rightly point out, as one doesn't exist on your roster at this stage.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:05 am

Dear Broncos

The NRL competition relies on a certain level of competition and despite our best efforts, Brisbane appear to be dragging the chain; impersonating a decent team every once in a while, before finally displaying the true horrors below the surface with such an underwhelming performance in a final.

What saddens us all here at the NRL is the amount of work we have done to ensure your success. Disappointingly and despite our best efforts, you appear to have found a way to turn yourselves into something of a laughing stock in recent times.

Some years back we locked you into your own little Friday night time slot at Suncorp Stadium for home matches. We ensured you almost always played at night and enjoyed the most consistent turnaround length between matches of any team in the competition.

Now, even with Thursday night football in vogue, we stuck to our part of the bargain. 2019 presented you with three Thursday night matches and six in your comfy Friday slot. ANZAC Round saw the necessity to slate one Saturday night match with another played in the Saturday twilight.

Of your 12 home games, our little night time deal saw just one Sunday afternoon match played and the local derby against the Titans should have been a walk in the park considering our planning. Amazingly, you managed to make a right mess of that and lost 26-18 to the wooden spooners.

To compensate for that day time game we gifted you a dream run to the finals with six of your last nine matches at home. Your bumbling effort against the Bulldogs in Round 25 was a warning sign and we considered writing to you at that time, however, we erred on the side of faith.

Our faith in you has now been extinguished.

Our continued stifling of the ‘second team in Brisbane’ movement appears to have gone unappreciated, as does your seeming inability to capitalise on the vast youth catchment area at your disposal.

The advantage of the available corporate dollar in a one-team city does not appear to be aiding your efforts as it once did and for some bizarre reason, you moved on arguably the greatest coach of the modern era, in favour of some guy full of clichés and mumbo-jumbo.

In short, we would like to know exactly what in heaven’s name you are doing. Despite the creation of the most unlevel playing field, your club appears to be in decline.

Sunday’s performance was the exclamation point on that opinion and made Mitchell Moses look like Reg Gasnier, Peter Sterling and Clive Churchill all rolled into one.

We cannot have teams producing such displays in the future and request an immediate written response that convinces the NRL board that the Brisbane Broncos are indeed worthy of a spot in the 2020 competition.

We anticipate your response,

The NRL
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:25 am

Ice wrote:

When was the last time a team won without at least 1 top quality half/6, usually 2. Milf isn't one in his current condition and I doubt he ever will be,so I think youprobably do need a top level half, the question is who as you rightly point out, as one doesn't exist on your roster at this stage.

I agree. Probably 2004 was the last time that happened when Anasta and Sherwin won. Although they did have the greatest halfback of all time on the bench putting pressure on them. Personally, the only halves in the comp that I would move heaven and high water to get at the moment would be Munster and Keary, and there's no way they'll be let go. Personally, I reckon Pearce would be a great buy and suit our team down to a tee. I'd be open to letting Milf go for sure, but given what he did in 2015, and the fact that in 2018 I think he tried really hard when Bennett tried to get him to be a player he isn't, I would give him one more season, especially after brutal off season. It's already in the 30's in south east Queensland. I hope they train harder than they've ever trained before and are so tired that when they go home all they want to do is sleep and rest their blisters before the next day's marathon workout (and catch and pass and run on to the ball session)
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:42 pm

Pete Badel
    @badel_cmail
    ·
    9m
    Breaking: Eight star Broncos including Anthony Milford in late night pokies spree before Eels bashing. Broncos have confirmed the incident and are investigating.

Eyewitnesses confirmed Broncos players Matt Gillett, Andrew McCullough, Payne Haas, David Fifita, Corey Oates and Anthony Milford were all at Harpoon Harry’s hotel near Sydney’s Oxford Street until late on Saturday night.

The players congregated in the pub’s pokies room, where Fifita stayed playing the machines alone, after the rest of his teammates left the venue around 11pm.

The Courier-Mail believes Gehamat Shibasaki and Joe Ofahengaue were also in attendance.

There is no suggestion any of the players were drinking alcohol, but serious questions will be asked about the club’s culture and preparation the night before the most important game of their season.

Coach Anthony Seibold was unaware of his players’ nocturnal preparations, and the club was equally oblivious to the incident until contacted by Fox Sports on Tuesday.

Less than 24 hours after their visit to Harpoon Harry’s, the Broncos were handed a 58-0 thrashing by the Eels, the biggest losing margin in any final since 1908.

A pub patron who sat next to Milford as he played the pokies asked him what time he was playing the next day.

“I knew the game started at 4pm but Milford turned to me and said: ‘I think it’s at six, eh’. He wasn’t taking the piss, he was dead set,” the source said.
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:18 pm

LMAO what a shambles!

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:35 pm

... Is that supposed to be a story? 'Rugby League players go to pub, don't get drunk, don't cause any problems and then go back their hotel rooms, More at 11!' Fifita staying out later and Milford not giving a shit is mildly concerning, but this majority of this seems like a giant beat-up
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:43 pm

Dip wrote:

I agree. Probably 2004 was the last time that happened when Anasta and Sherwin won. Although they did have the greatest halfback of all time on the bench putting pressure on them. Personally, the only halves in the comp that I would move heaven and high water to get at the moment would be Munster and Keary, and there's no way they'll be let go. Personally, I reckon Pearce would be a great buy and suit our team down to a tee. I'd be open to letting Milf go for sure, but given what he did in 2015, and the fact that in 2018 I think he tried really hard when Bennett tried to get him to be a player he isn't, I would give him one more season, especially after brutal off season. It's already in the 30's in south east Queensland. I hope they train harder than they've ever trained before and are so tired that when they go home all they want to do is sleep and rest their blisters before the next day's marathon workout (and catch and pass and run on to the ball session)

Anasta was an origin rep at that stage. He counts as a quality 6 regardless of anyone's personal thoughts and Sherwin was his perfect foil.
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:48 pm

surmo13 wrote:... Is that supposed to be a story? 'Rugby League players go to pub, don't get drunk, don't cause any problems and then go back their hotel rooms, More at 11!' Fifita staying out later and Milford not giving a shit is mildly concerning, but this majority of this seems like a giant beat-up

How do you know they weren't drinking? They shouldn't be out playing pokies the night before a final regardless. Our last two performances of the season show we didn't give it our all and the players going out behind the coach's back gambling shows exactly that.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Ice wrote:

Anasta was an origin rep at that stage. He counts as a quality 6 regardless of anyone's personal thoughts and Sherwin was his perfect foil.

Anasta played a few tests in 2001, but didn't play origin in 2004 and had only played one origin in 2003 and a couple in 2002. That's not that much different to Milford who played a couple of origins in 2017 & 2018. It does back up your point that you basically need elite halves though. Going back from now:
    2018 - Cronk & Keary
    2017 - Cronk & Munster
    2016 - Moloney
    2015 - JT
    2014 - Yeah nobody who was elite this year
    2013 - Pearce & Moloney
    2012 - Cronk
    2011 - DCE (& Foran???)
    2010 - Yeah nobody who was elite
    2009 - Cronk
    2008 - DCE & Foran
    2007 - Cronk & Inglis
    2006 - Lockyer
    2005 - Prince & Marshall
    2004 - Nobody elite
    2003 - Gower was the shizzle back then
    2002 - Fittler
    2001 - Johns
    2000 - Walters
    1999 - Kimmorley
    1998 - Langer and Walters
    1997 - Langer and Walters

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:04 pm

MilfordTheMagician wrote:

How do you know they weren't drinking? They shouldn't be out playing pokies the night before a final regardless. Our last two performances of the season show we didn't give it our all and the players going out behind the coach's back gambling shows exactly that.

i don't, but in a nothing story like this, where they are relying on eye-witness' from some rando pub in Sydney, if they were, you could be damn sure it would be relayed, but all we have is 'there are no suggestions any of the players were drinking alcohol', so this story amounts to 'a group of players went out together for a feed, hit the pokies for a while, then called it a night', i'm as disappointed as anyone about the shit served up on Sunday, but attacking what the players do outside of football is lowest common denominator crap, what did you want them to be doing? get locked in their hotel room all day, with nothing but rugby league on repeat on the TV until mummy Seibs comes by each hotel room to tuck them in at 9pm? they put in their time at training and on the field, i judge them on that alone, as long as they aren't doing anything braindead or illegal, i couldn't care less what the choose to do in their free-time.
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:21 pm

surmo13 wrote:

i don't, but in a nothing story like this, where they are relying on eye-witness' from some rando pub in Sydney, if they were, you could be damn sure it would be relayed, but all we have is 'there are no suggestions any of the players were drinking alcohol', so this story amounts to 'a group of players went out together for a feed, hit the pokies for a while, then called it a night', i'm as disappointed as anyone about the shit served up on Sunday, but attacking what the players do outside of football is lowest common denominator crap, what did you want them to be doing? get locked in their hotel room all day, with nothing but rugby league on repeat on the TV until mummy Seibs comes by each hotel room to tuck them in at 9pm? they put in their time at training and on the field, i judge them on that alone, as long as they aren't doing anything braindead or illegal, i couldn't care less what the choose to do in their free-time.

Not gambling the night before a knock-out final.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:29 pm

In 2014 Reynolds and Keary were about as elite as it gets
    In 2010 - hornby was awesome, and as much as i hated watching soward play - his kicking game was just about as good as it gets, ever. Super elite player for his career? No, but fuck he was good for in his role for a couple of years.
    Of course anasta was an elite half. He was no Joey but fuck me, he was pretty good as much as everyone disliked him.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:31 pm

surmo13 wrote:

Not be out at a pub the night before a knock out semi??? lol
    its unprofessional and shows the team's immaturity and fairly clearly. Do you reckon slater smith and cronk were out having a slap and prob a beer or 2 before their knock out games throughout their careers???? Fark me.. considering they had the worst loss in their history and in finals history - no one should be defending this poor display of professionalism.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:45 pm

MilfordTheMagician wrote:

Not gambling the night before a knock-out final.

does small-scale gambling have a negative affect on athletic performance? gunna need a cititation for that source.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:48 pm

Pieman wrote:In 2014 Reynolds and Keary were about as elite as it gets
    In 2010 - hornby was awesome, and as much as i hated watching soward play - his kicking game was just about as good as it gets, ever. Super elite player for his career? No, but fuck he was good for in his role for a couple of years.
    Of course anasta was an elite half. He was no Joey but fuck me, he was pretty good as much as everyone disliked him.

In 2010, the Dragons also effectively had an elite half in Boyd playing fullback.....

Look it's an inane argument because at the end of the day, most players standing in the game (at least on paper) get's amplified when they win a GF.

As for the boys being out the night before the game, I generally don't have a problem with this, provided they perform when it matters.......unfortunately for them, they didn't and deserve to be copping a bit of shit.

Last edited by Oz Sport Mad on Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 6:29 am