NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Dip

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 37 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by Dip Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:49 pm

In hindsight I wish they did a few lines and hit some hookers. Might have been a better result.
    Dip

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 37 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by Dip Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:54 pm

Seriously though the first thing I would be saying is "David, your mates left you to go home at 11pm and you thought the best thing to do then is to stay by yourself playing the pokies. Mate we all love a flutter, but soon you're going to be one of the better paid players in the game. What can we do to make sure that you can stop yourself blowing more than you should on a habit that can grow to something worse than you think in no time and ruins families."

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:38 pm

There are confirmed stories about Alfie and his crew putting bets on the horses and getting the results mid-game, and those blokes were the greatest to ever pull on a Broncos jersey, pokies are stupid, but they aren't the reason these blokes embarrassed themselves.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:42 pm

There's also stories that Alfie had to come back from England and not retire to pay gambling debts. What Dip said.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:02 pm

No Worries wrote:There's also stories that Alfie had to come back from England and not retire to pay gambling debts. What Dip said.

No arguments from me, like i said pokies are stupid, and that goes for gambling at large, fuck i don't even bite on harmless avatar bets here - save for the one and only one i just guilt-tripped myself into accepting cuz i was being a bit of a prick beforehand - let alone putting actual money on anything, the point i was making is that it's absolutely possible to donate a couple hundred bucks to a hotel the night before and still show up to work focused enough to do your job if you really want to put in the effort, it's only a story because it's 'Hang shit on the Broncos' week.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:21 pm

surmo13 wrote:

No arguments from me, like i said pokies are stupid, and that goes for gambling at large, fuck i don't even bite on harmless avatar bets here - save for the one and only one i just guilt-tripped myself into accepting cuz i was being a bit of a prick beforehand - let alone putting actual money on anything, the point i was making is that it's absolutely possible to donate a couple hundred bucks to a hotel the night before and still show up to work focused enough to do your job if you really want to put in the effort, it's only a story because it's 'Hang shit on the Broncos' week.

No, it's a story because we got pumped 58-0....in a knockout final.

Look as I said, I don't mind blokes doing that the night before the game, I don't even mind them having a beer, provided they have a go the next day.

And take the gambling or the fact it was in a pub out of it, I would feel the exact same way if it came out they were bloody playing Xbox till late at night and didn't have a crack the next day.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:52 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

No, it's a story because we got pumped 58-0....in a knockout final.

Look as I said, I don't mind blokes doing that the night before the game, I don't even mind them having a beer, provided they have a go the next day.

And take the gambling or the fact it was in a pub out of it, I would feel the exact same way if it came out they were bloody playing Xbox till late at night and didn't have a crack the next day.

well yeah, the former being a result of the latter, still shouldn't make it a story, were there journalists inquiring to the whereabouts of Sharks players the night before their full strength side got convincingly handled by the Sea-Eagles NSW Cup side + DCE & Jake Turbo? Or did the media in that instant understand that what players do on their own time has no bearing on the attitude they take into a game and the expectation of some fans that players should live, breathe, eat and shit rugby league at all times is as unrealistic as expecting those fans to be constantly thinking about their jobs after they've clocked off.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:30 pm

I don't think it's a knock on what the players were doing from all accounts all well behaved it's more so the standard that they're willing to set that being out till 11 at a pub it's what the winners do.

You set the standard of what you're willing to accept. If that was Newcastle I'd be absolutely livid. You've been beating badly by a Bulldogs team the week before you would think the senior players would be pulling the younger guys in and teaching them what it takes to be in an elite club.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:41 am

LOCK THEM IN THEIR ROOMS. TAKE AWAY THEIR IPADS. NO CORDIAL AFTER 6PM

Questionable story. As if a pub in Sydney would be open at 11pm.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:18 am

surmo13 wrote:There are confirmed stories about Alfie and his crew putting bets on the horses and getting the results mid-game, and those blokes were the greatest to ever pull on a Broncos jersey, pokies are stupid, but they aren't the reason these blokes embarrassed themselves.
    yeah and alf lost all his money on the horses.

The biggest difference is his team use to go out and WIN, not get flogged in the worst loss ever, so they are given a bit of extra rope there. Plus the standards between yesteryear's RL althete's and today's are chalk and cheese.

They had their worst loss of all time, if they lost by 6 or 10 or 12 or even 16 it wouldnt be an issue. If they won, again, not an issue. It's coming back to look at their preparation - were they preparing as best they could? The simple and only answer is no they were not.

surmo13 wrote:

well yeah, the former being a result of the latter, still shouldn't make it a story, were there journalists inquiring to the whereabouts of Sharks players the night before their full strength side got convincingly handled by the Sea-Eagles NSW Cup side + DCE & Jake Turbo? Or did the media in that instant understand that what players do on their own time has no bearing on the attitude they take into a game and the expectation of some fans that players should live, breathe, eat and shit rugby league at all times is as unrealistic as expecting those fans to be constantly thinking about their jobs after they've clocked off.
    lol the sharks put up a fight at least, they looked like they wanted to win - where as the Bronco's looked like they didnt want to get their jerseys crinkled.

Of course what you do off the field in your own time has a bearing on how someone plays and their attitude, absolutely insane to break it down to "but they weren't at work". No one is saying they should never relax, but the night before the biggest game of the year they should have been focusing on their preparation, 1000%. As I said, do you think the Smiths, Slaters and Cronks of the world were out at the pub the night before their big games? Absolutely, the night before a knock out semi, they should be living breathing and eating and shitting rugby league. Of course they should be. A mid season game against newcastle, go out and shoot up herion but in a knock out semi??? No. Prepare properly.

It goes to show:
    1. How immature those players are
    2. How little respect they have for the fans, club and game
    3. How unprofessional those players are at this point in their careers (even Gillett who should have retired after his neck injury, he is just collecting his pay now)
    4. The low standards at the club at the moment

If I was a bronco member I would be fucking Livid that these blokes arent out there preparing as best they can. They have the best facilities, education, staff in the comp and nurrrrp wana go for a slap and a snitty??
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:20 am

Pubs are open at 11pm, you just have to have been there since before 5pm when the lock out laws kick in.
    The time is really irrelevant. There's an 7-8 hr sleep in there.
    It's a story because it's poor judgement, it's a story because it's poor leadership, it's a story because of the performance these guys in, it's a story because you got pumped, it's a story because it's a reflection of where the team is at.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:02 am

Pieman wrote:
    lol the sharks put up a fight at least, they looked like they wanted to win - where as the Bronco's looked like they didnt want to get their jerseys crinkled.

Of course what you do off the field in your own time has a bearing on how someone plays and their attitude, absolutely insane to break it down to "but they weren't at work". No one is saying they should never relax, but the night before the biggest game of the year they should have been focusing on their preparation, 1000%. As I said, do you think the Smiths, Slaters and Cronks of the world were out at the pub the night before their big games? Absolutely, the night before a knock out semi, they should be living breathing and eating and shitting rugby league. Of course they should be. A mid season game against newcastle, go out and shoot up herion but in a knock out semi??? No. Prepare properly.  

It goes to show:
    1. How immature those players are
    2. How little respect they have for the fans, club and game
    3. How unprofessional those players are at this point in their careers (even Gillett who should have retired after his neck injury, he is just collecting his pay now)
    4. The low standards at the club at the moment

If I was a bronco member I would be fucking Livid that these blokes arent out there preparing as best they can. They have the best facilities, education, staff in the comp and nurrrrp wana go for a slap and a snitty??

I'm the last person to hang shit on players for living a normal existence but it's not even footy players e.g. if I had a big presso on at work the next day, I'd not be out at the pub at that time of night (mainly due to my lack of self control...but nonetheless).

Only thing I'd note is that hard to single out players (e.g. Gillett) just yet.
    I'd like to think he might have been there trying pull other blokes into line (which may explain the general disunity in our team) but don't know the full story.

What I will say is that I hope this end of season review doesn't stop at the players and coaching staff.
    There have been some fairly positive signs throughout the year and there is certainly potential to form a pretty successful team over the next few years.
    Jury still out for me in terms of Siebold - I liked the cut of his jib last year (and not just basing it on results) but I'm a little concerned with how he has responded to pressure throughout the season.
    But what I do hope is that Paul White and our management team are also reviewed.

I have been pretty open/scathing throughout the last year and a half about our off field management and the handling of the whole Bennett/Siebold coaching debacle and if our back of house is not in order, it will continue to transpire into our on field performances.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:14 am

Dip wrote:In hindsight I wish they did a few lines and hit some hookers. Might have been a better result.

Ah yes, the Andrew Johns approach.

If they didnt break curfew, not hurting anybody else and weren't inebriating themselves so they were sloshed the next day, its really nobodies business how they relax and unwind in their personal time. Same as when Fergo and Duges went to the pub 2 days before an origin match in their free time. Its free time - they specifically have free time built into the team schedule to be in a relaxed mental place going into the game.

Theres a larger conversation about gambling addiction if the only way Milf can destress is by throwing a fistfuls of pineapples at Where's The Gold, Queen of the Nile or 5 Dragons but who cares if he's doing that or if he's in his hotel room staying up until all hours playing Fortnight, Fifa or whatever the kids are into nowadays? They lost because they've been a putrid excuse for a football team for 24 months now, not because Milf was chasing the feature.

MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:09 am

surmo13 wrote:

Which they rightfully deserve.
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:23 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

I'm the last person to hang shit on players for living a normal existence but it's not even footy players e.g. if I had a big presso on at work the next day, I'd not be out at the pub at that time of night (mainly due to my lack of self control...but nonetheless).

Only thing I'd note is that hard to single out players (e.g. Gillett) just yet.
    I'd like to think he might have been there trying pull other blokes into line (which may explain the general disunity in our team) but don't know the full story.

What I will say is that I hope this end of season review doesn't stop at the players and coaching staff.
    There have been some fairly positive signs throughout the year and there is certainly potential to form a pretty successful team over the next few years.
    Jury still out for me in terms of Siebold - I liked the cut of his jib last year (and not just basing it on results) but I'm a little concerned with how he has responded to pressure throughout the season.
    But what I do hope is that Paul White and our management team are also reviewed.

I have been pretty open/scathing throughout the last year and a half about our off field management and the handling of the whole Bennett/Siebold coaching debacle and if our back of house is not in order, it will continue to transpire into our on field performances.

This! Gotta get back of house right, it is so underestimated. Look at the Eels, still cleaning up a heap of shit last year, but finally things are humming back of house with great stability and leadership of the Leagues Club with Bevan Paul and the Football Club, with the Administrator, having sorted through a whole heap of shit, about to soon move on, Bernie Gurr also stepping aside after reducing losses from $12m down to $4m and improving, memberships up, Stadium open and strat plan in place. Could fall apart sure if we don't get the right CEO for football club, but signs are positive after years of turmoil. We obviously aren't the benchmark, a long way from it, but it is a case that highlights how critical getting that side of thing should is to some sort of success.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:14 am

ryno_ wrote:

Ah yes, the Andrew Johns approach.

If they didnt break curfew, not hurting anybody else and weren't inebriating themselves so they were sloshed the next day, its really nobodies business how they relax and unwind in their personal time. Same as when Fergo and Duges went to the pub 2 days before an origin match in their free time. Its free time - they specifically have free time built into the team schedule to be in a relaxed mental place going into the game.

Theres a larger conversation about gambling addiction if the only way Milf can destress is by throwing a fistfuls of pineapples at Where's The Gold, Queen of the Nile or 5 Dragons but who cares if he's doing that or if he's in his hotel room staying up until all hours playing Fortnight, Fifa or whatever the kids are into nowadays? They lost because they've been a putrid excuse for a football team for 24 months now, not because Milf was chasing the feature.

The difference between tim smith and joey tho - johns could do that and still be the best half in the history of the game. Smith did it and was rookie of the year then nothing. If you win, you are given more leeway and you are even protected (Joey, Locky, Gower and so on).

They did hurt people though and they did hurt themselves, the club, even the game in general and it might cost some of them their jobs. The pure lack of maturity and professionalism mixed with literally the worst result ever absolutely puts a highlight and question mark over their commitment to preparing as best they can to put themselves in a position to win.

Do you think if they could go back in time, they would still go to the pub that night?

And yes, White etc need to be reviewed - punted. A good clean out is needed. Bring back Gee.
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:25 pm

How do Broncos fans feel about the Eels being the team to make the organisation totally implode, as opposed to say Melbourne? I mean, who hasn't been hammered by the Storm, getting them on a good day, you'd cop, with The talent at their disposal and their years of consistency and class a bit of a touch up, But to go down in the records books as THE worst finals result, THE biggest obliteration in history, to the Eels, the reigning Wooden spooners, A team nobody thought could make the 8 v a team a number of astute judges had as GF possibles with the COTY at the helm, I mean really, that's gotta sting a little more doesn't it. Did anyone see that coming? Anyone who thinks they did are kidding themselves.
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:26 pm

Pieman wrote:

The difference between tim smith and joey tho - johns could do that and still be the best half in the history of the game. Smith did it and was rookie of the year then nothing. If you win, you are given more leeway and you are even protected (Joey, Locky, Gower and so on).

They did hurt people though and they did hurt themselves, the club, even the game in general and it might cost some of them their jobs. The pure lack of maturity and professionalism mixed with literally the worst result ever absolutely puts a highlight and question mark over their commitment to preparing as best they can to put themselves in a position to win.

Do you think if they could go back in time, they would still go to the pub that night?

And yes, White etc need to be reviewed - punted. A good clean out is needed. Bring back Gee.

Bring back Gee.......Gold!
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:53 pm

The Eels didn't cause us to implode, the players not giving a shit against the Bulldogs was the beginning of the end of our season.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:00 pm

Ice wrote:

Bring back Gee.......Gold!

The slide coincides

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:00 am