NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 23 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by No Worries Fri May 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Opps I did it again

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 23 59781884_2356519307741754_7983121842686656512_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_eui2=AeFwlcusTM4kb84xxEyu3FPg3ICNGKmhvcEE6KBEmOMIrYvBA3IDxL4q059wUsPwLBJ5euW9BdXyVXmU8K-OgkJ00pEqr6dDb2v0qpwqIwy1og&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1
    Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 23 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by Pain Fri May 03, 2019 4:07 pm

Rabbit wrote:

Souths have no interest, at any level, in this overrated hack. None. Don’t need him. It’s just typical media bullshit.

Please take him and Boyd. They can stay at daddy's house.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri May 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Some of boyd's efforts last night were fucking shocking. Considering he is the most experienced player in the side, and the captain, fark me dead things are not looking good. He is playing worse than when he was at Newcastle.
    Pain
    Pain

Post by Pain Sun May 05, 2019 8:25 am

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun May 05, 2019 10:58 am

that is fucking amazing lol

bloke should have retired before the start of last season or should have made the change to 6 years ago when he started to lose his ability to move sideways

Post by Guest Sun May 05, 2019 11:14 am

Pieman wrote:that is fucking amazing lol

bloke should have retired before the start of last season or should have made the change to 6 years ago when he started to lose his ability to move sideways

nobody will argue that he's ass now, but I'm not letting that recency bias slide, i don't care what the Sydney M awards say, 2015-2016 Boyd was the best fullback in the game at the time, and he was good for most of 2017 too, just not as good as Slater, he hit the wall when he picked up the hamstring injury just before the finals series that year, for whatever reason, he's been terrified to use his legs since.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun May 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Not that I agree with it, but whats your point? Lockyer was the best 1 in the game when he moved to 6.
    Pain
    Pain

Post by Pain Sun May 05, 2019 1:40 pm

Pieman wrote:Not that I agree with it, but whats your point? Lockyer was the best 1 in the game when he moved to 6.
    Watching Teddy last night I reckon he could make the move to 6

Post by Guest Sun May 05, 2019 1:59 pm

Pieman wrote:Not that I agree with it, but whats your point? Lockyer was the best 1 in the game when he moved to 6.

my point is there was no reason for him to move to 6 years ago, he was the Brisbane, Queensland & Australian fullback, consistantly amongst the best on field at all levels, with the hottest young halves pairing alongside him at club level and one of the greatest halves pairings of all time at rep level, add to that surely you of all people should have it fresh in your mind that just because a fullback is able to put the finishing touch on a set play, it doesn't make them a five-eighth.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Sun May 05, 2019 2:55 pm

Pain wrote:
    Watching Teddy last night I reckon he could make the move to 6

With the injuries he's had, having to change his running style and his reluctance to use long studs today. Perfect candidate. Nice to read something intelligent in the Bronco's thread. @Pain must be a NSWelshman like Keary.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon May 06, 2019 8:10 am

surmo13 wrote:

my point is there was no reason for him to move to 6 years ago, he was the Brisbane, Queensland & Australian fullback, consistantly amongst the best on field at all levels, with the hottest young halves pairing alongside him at club level and one of the greatest halves pairings of all time at rep level, add to that surely you of all people should have it fresh in your mind that just because a fullback is able to put the finishing touch on a set play, it doesn't make them a five-eighth.

He never was the first choice australian fullback, and also has very very rarely was QLD first choice fullback (if ever).
    He is a great rep winger - he has never been anything more than that at rep level. And even that is debatable, considering who he sat outside of. When has he ever had the hottest young halves pairing at club level?? lol.... are you talking about hunt and milford? too funny

His best assets use to be his defence and his ability to read a 2 on 1 or 2 on 2 quickly. He is close to the best ever at doing that. He had all the skills to play 6, and that is obvious, but he was never put there and/or never wanted to play there. If he did it it would have lengthened his career (just like it did for Lockyer) as he is close to the worst fullback in the league now. Boyd plays as a 6 in attack. That is fucking obvious as well. He doesnt run the ball back well (he has never been great at that, always uses his wingers as battering rams) and now his defence there is absolutely pisspoor.

As I said, Lockyer was the best 1 in the game when he moved to 6. There is no reason he shouldnt have been moved there when he was in his mid/late 20s.

Ponga - no one wanted him at 6 besides Brown, still he didnt even play badly when he was there. I still have no doubt that if there was a good fullback to play 1 with ponga at 6 then it would have been more successful and still have no doubt that in the future he would make a great 6.

Post by Guest Mon May 06, 2019 12:33 pm

Pieman wrote:

He never was the first choice australian fullback, and also has very very rarely was QLD first choice fullback (if ever).
    He is a great rep winger - he has never been anything more than that at rep level. And even that is debatable, considering who he sat outside of. When has he ever had the hottest young halves pairing at club level?? lol.... are you talking about hunt and milford? too funny

i love this recency-bias revisionist history that you do, of course he wasn't first choice, no-one else would ever be a first choice fullback while the greatest pure fullback of all time isn't retired, but if he were nothing more than a winger at rep level, why on earth would he spend 2016 consistently selected over Greg Inglis as the preferred fullback? and further to that, if he were nothing more than a winger, why would he initially retain his place at fullback, when said greatest fullback was healthy and ready for selection? Because he earned it though his play.

If you are going to try to tell me that Milford and Hunt at that time period weren't being talked up constantly about being the future long-term halves for their team at all levels of the game then you have the memory of a goldfish.

and i'll repeat, there's a lot more to being a five-eighth than throwing cut-out passes in a set play, a LOT more, if fullback skills were as translatable to five-eighth as casual fans seem to believe, than Lockyer wouldn't be the ONLY player to have done it successfully, and he only moved because the Broncos had no halves and some bloke called Karmichael Hunt kicking down the door.

Looking through the teams he has been in, there's been no team he's been in where a question needed to be asked that could've been answered with 'Boyd plays 6', though i'll concede the argument could and has been made very recently, I'm looking at Soward/Hornby, Gidley/Mullen, Mullen/Roberts, Milford/Hunt, why bother breaking those pairings up when you also would have to then replace Boyd at fullback? was their any great fullback at the Dragons or Knights that got held back because Boyd was in front of them? if i recall correctly he was replaced poorly by a revolving door of wingers at the Dragons, and at the Knights that psycho hot-head Mamo was found out as a bust when Boyd left there.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon May 06, 2019 1:04 pm

surmo13 wrote:

i love this recency-bias revisionist history that you do, of course he wasn't first choice, no-one else would ever be a first choice fullback while the greatest pure fullback of all time isn't retired, but if he were nothing more than a winger at rep level, why on earth would he spend 2016 consistently selected over Greg Inglis as the preferred fullback? and further to that, if he were nothing more than a winger, why would he initially retain his place at fullback, when said greatest fullback was healthy and ready for selection? Because he earned it though his play.

If you are going to try to tell me that Milford and Hunt at that time period weren't being talked up constantly about being the future long-term halves for their team at all levels of the game then you have the memory of a goldfish.

and i'll repeat, there's a lot more to being a five-eighth than throwing cut-out passes in a set play, a LOT more, if fullback skills were as translatable to five-eighth as casual fans seem to believe, than Lockyer wouldn't be the ONLY player to have done it successfully, and he only moved because the Broncos had no halves and some bloke called Karmichael Hunt kicking down the door.

Looking through the teams he has been in, there's been no team he's been in where a question needed to be asked that could've been answered with 'Boyd plays 6', though i'll concede the argument could and has been made very recently, I'm looking at Soward/Hornby, Gidley/Mullen, Mullen/Roberts, Milford/Hunt, why bother breaking those pairings up when you also would have to then replace Boyd at fullback? was their any great fullback at the Dragons or Knights that got held back because Boyd was in front of them? if i recall correctly he was replaced poorly by a revolving door of wingers at the Dragons, and at the Knights that psycho hot-head Mamo was found out as a bust when Boyd left there.

Cool so he was never the first choice fullback for australia - thats a fact. Wasnt ever the first choice as he wasnt as good as Slater and who ever else was getting picked ahead of him. He got picked at fullback that year because there were no other centres lol and inglis plays his rep footy at centre. Just like how boyd plays his rep footy on the wing, outside of inglis. He was also dumped as fullback as soon as they realised slater was the better option there and was never picked there again, and then subsequently dropped after his injury. The coach was fucking panned for not picking slater there in the frist place.

Sure hunt and milford were being spoken about as that, but as the hottest young halves pairing in the game? Wot... Milford maybe. Get your head and penis out of the courier mail lol.

His strength is his ball playing, if you think that doesnt translate to being a 6 - he literally plays 6 in attack and has done so for ever - ur odd.
    Also, ben hornby was pretty successful with his move from fullback to 7, winning a comp there.

Mullen / roberts?? lol.... wtf
    Mullen / gidley ?? lol... from memory, gidley spent a much of those seasons coming on from the bench at hooker or even starting at hooker. Might be wrong there tho lol maybe it was the next season

Im talking specifically about his career - if he moved to 6 years ago, he wouldnt be as fucking shit as he is right now as his body does not allow him to play fullback at an elite level consistently any more

No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Mon May 06, 2019 1:11 pm

I can tell you Brooks was talked up as the next Joey Johns a rugby league immortal. Let's not get carried away with how people are spoken about.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon May 06, 2019 1:32 pm

lol yeah.... not to mention mullen too, and any other good young halfback from NSW

Also - fark what timing. If nikorima stays its the perfect time to turn him into a hooker now with Macca doing anything he can to get out of playing origin this year, as he knows QLD are going to get whooped

Guess that means hunt is almost a lock in for 9 for qld

Post by Guest Mon May 06, 2019 1:45 pm

No Worries wrote:I can tell you Brooks was talked up as the next Joey Johns a rugby league immortal. Let's not get carried away with how people are spoken about.

getting hung up on hindsight is subservient to the point i was making anyway, just like the Tigers wouldn't even consider canning Brooks while he was still being earmarked as the 'next Andrews Johns', there was no reason to break up Milford and Hunt while they were being earmarked as a future Australian halves pairing, especially not for the sake of a some-one who's never played the position.

Post by Guest Mon May 06, 2019 2:37 pm

Pieman wrote:
    His strength is his ball playing, if you think that doesnt translate to being a 6 - he literally plays 6 in attack and has done so for ever - ur odd.
    Also, ben hornby was pretty successful with his move from fullback to 7, winning a comp there.

Mullen / roberts?? lol.... wtf
    Mullen / gidley ?? lol... from memory, gidley spent a much of those seasons coming on from the bench at hooker or even starting at hooker. Might be wrong there tho lol maybe it was the next season

Im talking specifically about his career - if he moved to 6 years ago, he wouldnt be as fucking shit as he is right now as his body does not allow him to play fullback at an elite level consistently any more

if Boyd plays 6 in attack, then so does every single fullback in the NRL, because he's lined up no differently to any of them,and i'm sick of repeating this, yes he throws a good cut-out pass, that does not make him a 6, shit, even Moylan, who's been heralded as a Lockyer clone, had to go back to fullback because he was average at best at 6, and he is undoubtedly a ball-playing fullback.

Hornby is a terrible example, he didn't move from fullback to halfback, he was in the NRL for 2 seasons as a half or on the bench before he even played fullback, and after that switched between the 2 repeatedly and constantly, he was a full-time fullback for 1 season, no-one remembers him for playing at the back, he was for all intents and purposes a half who filled in at fullback when they had no-one better.

I'm not saying all of those halves pairings i mentioned are world beaters, I'm saying that none of those are improved by replacing one or the other with Boyd, again considering that they would also have to replace their fullback and none of the teams had anyone behind him worth a mention.

end point: moving Boyd to 6 at any point in his career is just moving him for the sake of moving him, it doesn't make him better, it doesn't make his team better, it's just the epitome of pointlessness, even now, he doesn't need to move to 6, he just needs to retire.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon May 06, 2019 6:20 pm

And no there arent actually that many fullback who only do the sweeping out the back play these days. Its all boyd does and its all boyd has ever done. Any donkey with 2 eyes can see that he would have been a decent 6. And if he moved there, it would have lengthend his career as its what his skills are suited to.

anyway, I think he would have been good there and should have made the switch. you dont, its all good mate Smile

And no Hornby went from fullback to halfback and then won a comp there Smile fax bro
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Mon May 06, 2019 8:53 pm

You guys keep talking about extending his career. He has 3 more years on $800K. How much longer do you think he's got ?
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon May 06, 2019 8:55 pm

haha good to see Bennett fucking the Broncos over the same way he fucked the knights. Blokes on big money at the back end of their careers then fucking off to another club.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:03 am