NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Pieman
    Pieman

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 24 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by Pieman Mon May 06, 2019 8:56 pm

surmo13 wrote:

there was no reason to break up Milford and Hunt while they were being earmarked as a future Australian halves pairing

I must have missed that issue of the Courier Mail

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 24 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by Guest Mon May 06, 2019 8:58 pm

No Worries wrote:You guys keep talking about extending his career. He has 3 more years on $800K. How much longer do you think he's got ?

Piemans talking about extending his career, he's done as far as i'm concerned, and no five-eighth gig would've fixed it, his current problem isn't physical, it's all mental.

Post by Guest Mon May 06, 2019 9:15 pm

Pieman wrote:And no there arent actually that many fullback who only do the sweeping out the back play these days. Its all boyd does and its all boyd has ever done. Any donkey with 2 eyes can see that he would have been a decent 6. And if he moved there, it would have lengthend his career as its what his skills are suited to.

it's funny, because with all these allusions to Lockyer, we haven't even spoken about the guy who saw him as a champion five-eighth long before anyone else, one Mr. Wayne Bennett, who co-incidentally enough, coached Boyd almost his entire professional career, so if everyone saw it, he absolutely would've seen it, yet Boyd has been a fullback damn near the whole time, and any-time anyone so much as mentioned Boyd to 6, he was there to shut it down on the spot, if the bloke that engineered one of the greatest positional switches in rugby league doesn't think he is a five-eighth..... maybe, juuuuust maybe, he's not a five-eighth...
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Mon May 06, 2019 9:27 pm

surmo13 wrote:

Piemans talking about extending his career, he's done as far as i'm concerned, and no five-eighth gig would've fixed it, his current problem isn't physical, it's all mental.

He's done physically and mentally he knows that. He doesn't have the speed, the agility or physical ability of 95% of fullbacks in the competition. He's reading of the game is 95% better than anyone else in the game which is why mentally he can't cope with how shit he is. Ih he was 5/8 he could probably bank the rest of his contract, but instead He's mind is on how am I going to bank this $2.4 million without playing.

Post by Guest Mon May 06, 2019 9:31 pm

No Worries wrote:

He's done physically and mentally he knows that.  He doesn't have the speed, the agility or physical ability of 95% of fullbacks in the competition. He's reading of the game is 95% better than anyone else in the game which is why mentally he can't cope with how shit he is. Ih he was 5/8 he could probably bank the rest of his contract, but instead He's mind is  on how am I going to bank this $2.4 million without playing.

his problem is that he's deathly afraid of contact and you want to put him in the defensive line? I'm sure that would go well Rolling Eyes
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue May 07, 2019 8:25 am

coz maybe forcing him into some contact would help with these issues he is having now. Im also not saying do it now, I am saying it should have been done years ago. I also not talking about extending his career past the 3 more years he has on his deal. His career is done now, its over. that doesnt mean he isnt still playing and getting paid. He would have been able to play at a high level for longer if he moved to 6 as thats what his skills are suited to.

Yeah mate, bennett, the same bloke that didnt want Cam smith, billy slater and cooper cronk. And also, lockyer was a 6 before he came into first grade, played all his footy there before moving to fullback.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue May 07, 2019 10:03 am

Pieman wrote:
    Cool so he was never the first choice fullback for australia - thats a fact. Wasnt ever the first choice as he wasnt as good as Slater and who ever else was getting picked ahead of him. He got picked at fullback that year because there were no other centres lol and inglis plays his rep footy at centre. Just like how boyd plays his rep footy on the wing, outside of inglis. He was also dumped as fullback as soon as they realised slater was the better option there and was never picked there again, and then subsequently dropped after his injury. The coach was fucking panned for not picking slater there in the frist place.

Just because I got some free time. Boyd was picked as first choice fullback for Autralia even with Billy Slater available in the 2017 Trans-Tasman Test on 5th May 2017. Did well too in a 30-12 win to the Aussies.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue May 07, 2019 10:11 am

Dip wrote:

Just because I got some free time. Boyd was picked as first choice fullback for Autralia even with Billy Slater available in the 2017 Trans-Tasman Test on 5th May 2017. Did well too in a 30-12 win to the Aussies.

lol
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue May 07, 2019 12:24 pm

Only a moronic simpleton of Pieman's ilk would write off a bloke that has had a career as good as Darius' on the back of a shithouse 1/3rd of a season.

Has he been rubbish this year?
    Of course he bloody has.
    I can forgive some of the wrong-footings and attempted intercepts that stand out like dogs balls and appeal to the average punter willing to lay the boot in but the misses against Souths were simply not putting his body on the line.....which to me reeks of a bloke lacking in confidence.

But in saying that even some of the champions of the game from yesteryear (Lockyer, Johns etc.) have had periods of low confidence where they were playing rubbish for whatever reason and subsequently came good, so I'm not as quick as some to forget what a good player Boyd has been.

Not sure about moving him either.
    Yes he has been one of the best ball playing fullbacks.....but as I have said like a million times, ball playing at fullback is vastly different to ball playing in the halves and personally I don't see Boyd being the type of player that could excel as a half.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Tue May 07, 2019 12:54 pm

I don't think Boyd moves anywhere unless it is centre or wing. I think its getting pretty close to becoming a reality despite his defenses in the media over his form.

Bird shifting to right centre this week is interesting, may be a nail in Jimmy Roberts coffin.

It does leave a wing spot "open" with Shibasaki no sure thing to lock down a spot. Another couple of bad weeks for Boyd, and he'll be out hugging a sideline, I hope. I reckon the Roosters match next weekend will be the catalyst for another set of changes.
    Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

Post by Pain Tue May 07, 2019 12:57 pm

my tv broke wrote:I don't think Boyd moves anywhere unless it is centre or wing. I think its getting pretty close to becoming a reality despite his defenses in the media over his form.

Bird shifting to right centre this week is interesting, may be a nail in Jimmy Roberts coffin.

It does leave a wing spot "open" with Shibasaki no sure thing to lock down a spot. Another couple of bad weeks for Boyd, and he'll be out hugging a sideline, I hope. I reckon the Roosters match next weekend will be the catalyst for another set of changes.

I suspect Isaako playing full back for ressies is a sign.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Tue May 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Pain wrote:

I had hoped that, but there is no QLD Cup this week.

Hopefully training at FB for the reserves is some indication..
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Tue May 07, 2019 1:28 pm

my tv broke wrote:

I had hoped that, but there is no QLD Cup this week.

Hopefully training at FB for the reserves is some indication..
    If he was playing as well as last year he'd be a lock to play FB but whilst he's looked better than Darius he still hasn't looked good.

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2019 1:34 pm

a lot's been said about Siebs coaching, but at the very least i'm glad we have a coach that holds players accountable for their performance and isn't afraid to make tough decisions, and importantly with that, isn't just making changes for changes sake, Niko wasn't terrible, but its been clear for a long time that pairing doesn't work, and Milf is the marquee player, so we had to try to find him another foil that might be a better fit, Roberts & Isaako on the other hand have been terrible and deserve to spend time in ressies, i still think Isaako will be a great fullback in the RTS mould some day, but some great attacking flair last year masked the fact that he isn't a winger and continuing to play him there is killing his confidence. Boyd of course is the other player really putting his hand up to be dropped, but i can understand that Seibold has to treat that situation with kid gloves given he's dealing with the captain.

All in all, it should start to settle in really soon that this isn't a boys club anymore and "i'll do better next week" is not good enough, maybe then we might get some performances that show this means something to them.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue May 07, 2019 1:41 pm

Pain wrote:

I suspect Isaako playing full back for ressies is a sign that he also needs to get his confidence back and with it, his ability to catch the ball (which last year was actually a strength of his).

He copped a fair bit of bad press about it but I actually didn't mind Boyd's comments about his form either.

To put it in perspective, we've only lost to the top 4 teams as well as 8th and 9th (both on the siren).

We've beat the 7th place team (who subsequently beat the Storm the next week) and the Cows.

Sure a win or two more would have been nice (particularly those two losses on the siren) but if you consider the Broncos a fringe top 8 team (as I do)...you could argue that any other result might have actually been considered above expectations.

It's not like we have lost to any team coming 10th to 16th and other than our losses to the premiership favourites, we have been in most games.

As Boyd suggested, no need to panic and certainly no need to heap more pressure on a young team.

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2019 1:55 pm

also, while people have been spending the last fortnight discussing Siebs vs Bennett, i understand it's easy to argue that Bennett would have this team travelling better, but it's far from as guaranteed as most people seem to think, this team has been tracking backwards ever since the 2015 GF, and if the team were travelling like this anyway, i doubt that Wayne would do anything but trot out the same 17 week after week...

I will say this, we've had some bad losses this year, but nothing as yet has come close to topping the utter embarrassment i felt watching the Dragons blow us out of the water in the finals last year, and that was all Bennett.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue May 07, 2019 5:01 pm

yeah Isaako has a massive massive case of second year syndrome.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed May 08, 2019 10:06 am

Folau may be off contract soon... the broncos have shown that they are happy to sign people of questionable character, and they need a fullback, so why not
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed May 08, 2019 10:09 am

Pieman wrote:Folau may be off contract soon... the broncos have shown that they are happy to sign people of questionable character, and they need a fullback, so why not

You raise a good point Pieman, the Broncos do have an unquestionable record of rehabilitating young blokes and turning them into decent human beings.

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2019 10:21 am

Laughing did no-one ever warn you to be careful about throwing stones in your glass house Pieman?

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 12:29 am