NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Finals chat

filthridden
    filthridden

Finals chat - Page 23 Empty Re: Finals chat

Post by filthridden Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:37 pm

leaguegod wrote:i don't think its a rooster fan thing pieman, i think its a rugby league thing and possibly as milchy stated, an australian sporting culture thing

I would say us kiwis are no better though it seems generally limited to league in NZ in my experience.
    You'd never get a netball, basketball or union crowd booing after their team lost or booing when they should be celebrating an opposition player. Football I can't say as I've never been to a match and don't watch enough A-League to tell you.

Cricket I think it would only have happened against Australia and Warney specifically but I think it was often an ironic boo. We loved to hate the Aussie but goddamit we respected that they were good at cricket in their hay-day (Warne, McGrath, Ponting etc)

McGrath was actually a kiwi crowd favourite believe it or not.

Actually in Rugby it has probably happened to the likes of Quade Cooper, Victor Matfield, Schalk Burger... those players that are seen as dirty and have had memorable incidents against NZ.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:17 pm

Milchy wrote:

Well, unless its Roosters fans that are selling out Suncorp every year in order to boo Paul Gallen.

In that particular moment, it was roosters fans and non-melbourne/QLD fans booing him.
    But yep, generally league fans are not the classiest bunch.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:21 pm

i remember being at the 2004 grand final, i was 16, was with my family and my mum adored brad fittler, dogs fans booed him on his last ever game. i was enjoying watching my team win but couldn't help- but to hate my own fans at that moment

panthers had booed him just 12 months before that too

i even remember like 60k booing shannon noll @ an origin ,don't get me wrong, i'm no shannon noll fans but is that really necessary ?

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:36 pm

You can boo someone because they put in a shit effort
    You can boo someone because they are a shit human being.
    You can't boo someone because you dont like them.

Billy, Cam & Sutton are more 3.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:51 pm

leaguegod wrote:also, re the booing

during the game is all ok obviously

but booing post game is a rugby league tradition i could do without, every origin or grand finals seems to end with it and i personally can't stand it

don't really like billy or cam, gererd sutton is probably my least liked ref by a long way but all 3 deserve respect after the game. childish.

Yep maybe I'm starting to become a grumpy old bastard but it really shits me too - even when the ref's or NRL admins are on the receiving end.

Similar annoyance levels to when a boofhead will yell out during the tennis, or worse still during a minutes silence.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:12 pm

A minutes silence? That brings back memories.

Corrrr... i remember i was on the phone in a pub waiting for the remembrance day minute of silence. it went on for too long, and suddenly everything went deadly silent.....

I realised. .... went "FUCK" quite loudly and dropped my phone somewhere on the table (not sure what happened to the bloke on the other end), and most people had the good grace to laugh at me, because they could tell i was wildly embarrassed. At least i was standing!!!!

dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:16 pm

Anyway.... with regards to booing... I reckon it's perfectly fine if you're either that good the opposition fans love to hate you, or you've done something dumb enough to deserve a good heckle.

I'm sure there's a few grey areas, but hey, either way - sack up and own it Smile

DCE playing at the Gold Coast? Jim Richards ever giving a speech to the Australian racing community? c'mon Smile
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:55 pm

It's a pretty average thing to do. But saying that I've done it before. Generally I'll just sit in silence and not applaud, except on Sunday when no one at the ground could hear me and I was singing Na Na Na Na to Billy Slater. It's a league community thing for sure. Like it's been said you don't see it much in other sports codes. League fans are feral, it's a blue collar game and that's what's going to happen. At least we're not booing people because they're black ala Adam Goodes/Lewis Jetts.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:53 am

Honeysett wrote:It's a pretty average thing to do. But saying that I've done it before. Generally I'll just sit in silence and not applaud, except on Sunday when no one at the ground could hear me and I was singing Na Na Na Na to Billy Slater. It's a league community thing for sure. Like it's been said you don't see it much in other sports codes. League fans are feral, it's a blue collar game and that's what's going to happen. At least we're not booing people because they're black ala Adam Goodes/Lewis Jetts.

Nailed it.

I think we're all aware that league is more progressive than most other top-tier sports in terms of celebrating diversity rather than stiffling it from both an adminstrative point of view and the fan base.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 am