NRL Fantasy Fanatics



Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

    The Travel Thread

    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

    Posts : 25444
    Reputation : 17222
    Join date : 2016-01-08

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by my tv broke Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:06 am

    ryno_ wrote:Dont spend too much time in LA. Its a shithole. Same for Hollywood, outside of the boulevard, its a deadset slum. If you do spend time in the area, Santa Monica and Beverly Hills are much nicer. The nightlife in Hollywood is pretty good tho.
    San Diego is a cool place but it feels like Brisbane tbh - big country town with not much to do. Best selling point is its close to a good zoo and the beaches. For some reason they have really good sushi though. Weird.

    Pretty much this, from my experiences.

    I was in La Jolla in October last year for a wedding, which is a town on the northern coast of San Diego. Super chill, really liked the vibe there. Good little bars, friendly people.

    We hired a car (hire a Mustang, heaps of fun) for 4 days for coming back from Vegas back to San Diego. Drove out through Death Valley, really cool scenery, up to Santa Barbaba, another chilled out beach town. I enjoy driving, so I guess it depends. People say driving through LA is a nightmare, but I like doing that kind of shit. Get a good feel for the city that way.
    ryno_
    ryno_

    NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018
    Posts : 2230
    Reputation : 490
    Join date : 2015-09-27
    Age : 34

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by ryno_ Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:41 am

    my tv broke wrote:

    Pretty much this, from my experiences.

    I was in La Jolla in October last year for a wedding, which is a town on the northern coast of San Diego. Super chill, really liked the vibe there. Good little bars, friendly people.

    We hired a car (hire a Mustang, heaps of fun) for 4 days for coming back from Vegas back to San Diego. Drove out through Death Valley, really cool scenery, up to Santa Barbaba, another chilled out beach town. I enjoy driving, so I guess it depends. People say driving through LA is a nightmare, but I like doing that kind of shit. Get a good feel for the city that way.

    Yeah LaJolla is really nice - all the little towns along that coast between LA and SD are cool little coastal hippy towns populated by rich people. Think The OC meets Noosa.

    No Worries
    No Worries
    Moderator

    NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.
    Posts : 10217
    Reputation : 6848
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by No Worries Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:45 am

    ryno_ wrote:

    Think The OC meets Noosa.


    The Travel Thread - Page 3 B4f8eddb654106210fd03199bc8dc8ea
    ryno_
    ryno_

    NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018
    Posts : 2230
    Reputation : 490
    Join date : 2015-09-27
    Age : 34

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by ryno_ Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:04 am

    Bingo.
    filthridden
    filthridden
    Moderator

    Posts : 18356
    Reputation : 11190
    Join date : 2015-09-27

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by filthridden Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:03 pm

    Off to Koh Samui in August if anyone has any tips/experiences they'd recommend.
    Found a couple of bars that do craft beer, will be doing a bit of hiking and lots of snorkelling but definitely open to suggestions as I've got a week there.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

    Posts : 14791
    Reputation : 7714
    Join date : 2015-10-21
    Location : Sydney

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Revraiser Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:47 am

    @multiple.scoregasms

    From Ur 2023 trip what would u recommend or say is a must, or any general advice / tips for food, hotels etc. Spill the beans. The good oil as some say.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

    Posts : 9480
    Reputation : 6602
    Join date : 2015-10-29
    Age : 30

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:07 pm

    Revraiser wrote:@multiple.scoregasms

    From Ur 2023 trip what would u recommend or say is a must, or any general advice / tips for food, hotels etc. Spill the beans. The good oil as some say.

    We did 3 weeks in Japan split between Tokyo, Hiroshima, Osaka and Kyoto. These were all repeat destinations for me but first time for the wife

    Tokyo - Atleast 7 days to see most of the big ticket items

    Stayed in Shinjuku area at Washington Hotel. Location was fantastic but one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. Would recommend staying somewhere around Tokyo station/Imperial palace. Close enough to major train lines that you can get anywhere you want relatively quickly, but also quiet enough you can have some peace. The area also has handy links to Narita airport via bus and train.

    Attractions - The popular ones I recommend are Akihabara, Imperial Palace, Asakusa, Shibuya/Shinjuku, Harajuku. If Disney is your thing you could comfortably do a day each at Disneyland/Disney Sea. Recommend Tokyo Metro Government building observation deck rather than the other options like Sky Tree. Day trip to Fuji is also possible if you don't plan on staying in the area.

    Kyoto- 2-3 days should be enough to see everything
    Stayed at ANA Crowne Plaza opposite Nijo-jo Castle. Got a free upgrade to a suite by saying it was honeymoon. Excellent hotel with some nice restaurants on site. Not a lot of alternatives outside the onsite restaurants.

    Attractions Gion, Fushimi inari Shrine, Arashiyama bamboo grove are the big ones. Take your pick from hundreds of shrines if you want to visit one

    Hiroshima- Would probably recommend 1-2 days with 3 absolute max
    Stayed at Crowne Plaza near the Peace Park. Location was great for walking. Plenty of food choices nearby

    Attractions Day trip to Miyajima is well worth it. Peace Park/museum/bomb domb are all in the same kind of area and highly recommended.

    Osaka- 3-5 days wouldn't be out of place

    Stayed at Holiday Inn Namba which is about 1 minute walk from Dotonburi. The best location of the trip by far. Would highly recommend picking a hotel around this area

    Attractions Dotonburi for food, drinks etc. Osaka castle is worth a trip. Day trips to Nara and Kobe are well worth it. Universal studios if that is your thing


    Overall you can't really go wrong with food. You can get world class meals for <$20 pretty much all over the country
    Milchcow
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Posts : 23422
    Reputation : 15814
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Milchcow Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:37 pm


    Enjoy the trip Rev

    Mrs Cow and I have booked in long service leave this year. 5 and 1/2 weeks in Europe. Going to go through Italy and Croatia before heading to England (mostly to see family)
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

    Posts : 9480
    Reputation : 6602
    Join date : 2015-10-29
    Age : 30

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:53 pm

    Milchcow wrote:
    Enjoy the trip Rev

    Mrs Cow and I have booked in long service leave this year. 5 and 1/2 weeks in Europe. Going to go through Italy and Croatia before heading to England (mostly to see family)

    Highly recommend Slovenia if you have a few days spare
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

    Posts : 14791
    Reputation : 7714
    Join date : 2015-10-21
    Location : Sydney

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Revraiser Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:33 pm

    Milchcow wrote:
    Enjoy the trip Rev

    Mrs Cow and I have booked in long service leave this year. 5 and 1/2 weeks in Europe. Going to go through Italy and Croatia before heading to England (mostly to see family)

    Cheers mate

    Its not until June and relatively short in being 10 days.

    I like that, if u mean 5.5 weeks totalling 3 countries. No rushing around.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

    Posts : 14791
    Reputation : 7714
    Join date : 2015-10-21
    Location : Sydney

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Revraiser Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:34 pm

    multiple.scoregasms wrote:

    We did 3 weeks in Japan split between Tokyo, Hiroshima, Osaka and Kyoto. These were all repeat destinations for me but first time for the wife

    Tokyo - Atleast 7 days to see most of the big ticket items

    Stayed in Shinjuku area at Washington Hotel. Location was fantastic but one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. Would recommend staying somewhere around Tokyo station/Imperial palace. Close enough to major train lines that you can get anywhere you want relatively quickly, but also quiet enough you can have some peace. The area also has handy links to Narita airport via bus and train.

    Attractions - The popular ones I recommend are Akihabara, Imperial Palace, Asakusa, Shibuya/Shinjuku, Harajuku. If Disney is your thing you could comfortably do a day each at Disneyland/Disney Sea. Recommend Tokyo Metro Government building observation deck rather than the other options like Sky Tree. Day trip to Fuji is also possible if you don't plan on staying in the area.

    Kyoto- 2-3 days should be enough to see everything
    Stayed at ANA Crowne Plaza opposite Nijo-jo Castle. Got a free upgrade to a suite by saying it was honeymoon. Excellent hotel with some nice restaurants on site. Not a lot of alternatives outside the onsite restaurants.

    Attractions Gion, Fushimi inari Shrine, Arashiyama bamboo grove are the big ones. Take your pick from hundreds of shrines if you want to visit one

    Hiroshima- Would probably recommend 1-2 days with 3 absolute max
    Stayed at Crowne Plaza near the Peace Park. Location was great for walking. Plenty of food choices nearby

    Attractions Day trip to Miyajima is well worth it. Peace Park/museum/bomb domb are all in the same kind of area and highly recommended.

    Osaka- 3-5 days wouldn't be out of place

    Stayed at Holiday Inn Namba which is about 1 minute walk from Dotonburi. The best location of the trip by far. Would highly recommend picking a hotel around this area

    Attractions Dotonburi for food, drinks etc. Osaka castle is worth a trip. Day trips to Nara and Kobe are well worth it. Universal studios if that is your thing


    Overall you can't really go wrong with food. You can get world class meals for <$20 pretty much all over the country

    Thanks MS,  that's a gr8 rundown

    We got to pick a few spots and things we want to do as its a ten dayer. Will be googling like mad from the above advice


    Last edited by Revraiser on Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

    Posts : 14791
    Reputation : 7714
    Join date : 2015-10-21
    Location : Sydney

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Revraiser Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:06 pm

    Anyone have any thoughts on the 'single seat' at the back of a plane ? If it's extra small or a no go zone comfort wise
    Milchcow
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Posts : 23422
    Reputation : 15814
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Milchcow Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:35 pm

    Revraiser wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on the 'single seat' at the back of a plane ? If it's extra small or a no go zone comfort wise

    If you mean right at the back - often those seats don't recline as much, and you're also likely to be right next to the toilets.

    IMO better off avoiding if you can (unless its literally a single seat and you value being as far from other people as possible)
    Milchcow
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Posts : 23422
    Reputation : 15814
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Milchcow Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:38 pm


    We'll be travelling overland from Rome to Dubrovnik, so a stop off in Slovenia is on the cards.
    Might also stop off in Paris for a few days on the way to England, because the kids haven't been and its a city worth visiting. (so slightly more rushed than original post made it sound - will be 3.5 weeks in Italy/Croatia and 2 weeks in Paris/England)
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

    Posts : 9480
    Reputation : 6602
    Join date : 2015-10-29
    Age : 30

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:18 pm

    Revraiser wrote:

    Thanks MS,  that's a gr8 rundown

    We got to pick a few spots and things we ant to do as its a ten dayer. Will be googling like mad from the above advice

    With ten days I'd be tempted to just do Tokyo with a day trip to Fuji or maybe an overnight in Lake Kawaguchiko

    Otherwise you are looking at a couple of hours on a train for 1-2 days in Kyoto or Osaka which probably won't do it justice
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

    Posts : 9480
    Reputation : 6602
    Join date : 2015-10-29
    Age : 30

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:25 pm

    Milchcow wrote:
    We'll be travelling overland from Rome to Dubrovnik, so a stop off in Slovenia is on the cards.
    Might also stop off in Paris for a few days on the way to England, because the kids haven't been and its a city worth visiting. (so slightly more rushed than original post made it sound - will be 3.5 weeks in Italy/Croatia and 2 weeks in Paris/England)

    Some great options in Slovenia without getting too far off the track on the way to Dubrovnik

    Ljubljana is a fun little city with a very walkable old town. Been a few years now but they also used to do a food market in one of the main squares every couple of days. You can get a horse burger from a number of places if "weird" food is your thing. Might be your best chance to have a burger without canibalism

    Lake Bled and surrounds are picturesque and well worth a day or two. Vintgar Gorg is a very kid friendly hike with amazing scenary

    Further south you have Predjama Castle and Postojna Caves as great locations to break up a car trip.

    I've heard very good things about Piran on the coast but didn't make it that far myself
    easytiger
    easytiger
    Moderator

    NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022
    Posts : 4146
    Reputation : 4891
    Join date : 2020-01-27
    Location : Te Waipounamu

    The Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by easytiger Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:15 pm

    multiple.scoregasms wrote:

    Some great options in Slovenia without getting too far off the track on the way to Dubrovnik

    Ljubljana is a fun little city with a very walkable old town. Been a few years now but they also used to do a food market in one of the main squares every couple of days. You can get a horse burger from a number of places if "weird" food is your thing. Might be your best chance to have a burger without canibalism

    Lake Bled and surrounds are picturesque and well worth a day or two. Vintgar Gorg is a very kid friendly hike with amazing scenary

    Further south you have Predjama Castle and Postojna Caves as great locations to break up a car trip.

    I've heard very good things about Piran on the coast but didn't make it that far myself

    I completely agree with this.
    We thought Ljubljana was a fun place and loved the night market.

    The Julian Alps near Lake Bled are a beautiful drive with lots of little outdoor stops.
    Like MS says Vintgar Gorg is an easy hike - from memory we knocked it off in the morning before a midday flight

    Heading South, I'd call Škocjan Caves one of the most mind-blowing places I've been.
    It's not quite as popular as Postojna Caves, but yeah a real highlight.

    Dubrovnik is cool, but worth trying to time it for when there are less Cruise ships - sometimes they can get a few at the same time and the place gets very very crowded. I thought Ston was a great little town and pretty cool to walk the wall (note: lots of steps)

    I imagine you're probably going to do Plitvice Lakes, but yeah, definitely worth it!

      Current date/time is Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:11 pm