NRL Fantasy Fanatics



Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

    The Travel Thread

    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatic

    Posts : 18977
    Reputation : 9662
    Join date : 2016-01-08
    Location : Fantasy Island

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by my tv broke Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:22 am

    Yep, already did. Unfortunately no home games during the dates that I can do.

    At the same time, it would be cool to see Lebron live.
    Pain
    Pain

    NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019
    Posts : 4320
    Reputation : 1836
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Pain Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:48 am

    @MrCashman wrote:

    Visit the zoo, even stay the night at the zoo under the stars but they do know how to charge

    yep definitely doing the zoo, but looks out of budget to stay at the zoo. Anyone know of somewhere nearby that's good for a couple of nights?
    Milchcow
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Posts : 18208
    Reputation : 10189
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Milchcow Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:11 am

    @Pain wrote:Looking at doing a road trip to Dubbo in the school holidays.  Any tips?

    I'm assuming you have kids, given you are going in school holidays. If not then not all of this will apply to you.

    We did this last year, in the October school holidays.

    Stayed at Cattleman's Motor Country Inn - that was fine. Decent enough rooms and facilities.
    The place next door(Dubbo City Holiday Park) looked pretty good as well, had a nice playground at least.

    If you are from Sydney, look at getting Taronga membership if you don't already. Includes free entry to Dubbo Zoo, plus you get to go to Taronga whilst you are back in town. If you think you might go to Dubbo zoo on 2 separate days, its probably worth it.
    There's enough at the zoo to make it worth going 2 days.

    If you want to hire a bike for the kids, you have to get there very early to lineup. Otherwise just drive around - easy to park every couple hundred metres and the zoo is too big to walk all day for the kids.

    There's not tonnes of other stuff to do in Dubbo. We went to the botanical gardens, which was nice, and they had some market's there. A few in our group went to some caves about an hour away but we didn't bother, can't remember what they were called but I' sure its easy enough to find out.

    On the way up we went via Mudgee and visited a couple of wineries (fun fact - for the next couple of days our kids would march around shouting "No More, It's the Law!")
    Lowe Wines has a nice big open area and was kids friendly.
    We also went to Burnbrae - which had nice wines, but not much for the kids (government warnings about drinking too much apparently the best thing there)


    On the way back we went via Orange and the Orange Botanical Gardens, which was a good stop off too.
    No Worries
    No Worries
    Moderator

    NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.
    Posts : 9361
    Reputation : 5546
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by No Worries Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:48 am

    @Pain wrote:Looking at doing a road trip to Dubbo in the school holidays.  Any tips?

    The zoo obviously. Note your ticket gets you in for 2 days. What we do is leave early, make the drive (6hr from Sydney), have some lunch when we get there. Go to the zoo in the arvo, drive arond and cherry pick what we see or what looks like it's close or moving. Then the next day go back in the morning and walk around and spend the day. Different animals are active at different times of the day. Buy tickets online they are cheaper. If you do want to go the wole hog and do a roar and snore tour let me know, I'm a member and can get you a discount.

    The Dubbo gaol is also in the heart of town which is fun for the kids and they learn a bit of history.

    If you are using it as a base andstaying more than a couple of days take a day trip to Parkes to see the dish, there's fruit picking in Orange
    code delta
    code delta

    Posts : 2939
    Reputation : 1481
    Join date : 2016-05-05

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by code delta Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:46 pm

    @Pain wrote:Looking at doing a road trip to Dubbo in the school holidays.  Any tips?

    Why do i think you'll be coming from Queensland?
    If so come via Coonabarabran and have a look at Warrumbungle National Park. It has a major space observatory that was nearly wiped out by fires in 2013. https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/warrumbungle-national-park

    Speaking of fires, get this app so you can be aware .... https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/fires-near-me-nsw/id370891827
    Pain
    Pain

    NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019
    Posts : 4320
    Reputation : 1836
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Pain Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:01 pm

    @Milchcow wrote:

    I'm assuming you have kids, given you are going in school holidays. If not then not all of this will apply to you.

    We did this last year, in the October school holidays.

    Stayed at Cattleman's Motor Country Inn - that was fine. Decent enough rooms and facilities.
    The place next door(Dubbo City Holiday Park) looked pretty good as well, had a nice playground at least.

    If you are from Sydney, look at getting Taronga membership if you don't already. Includes free entry to Dubbo Zoo, plus you get to go to Taronga whilst you are back in town. If you think you might go to Dubbo zoo on 2 separate days, its probably worth it.
    There's enough at the zoo to make it worth going 2 days.

    If you want to hire a bike for the kids, you have to get there very early to lineup. Otherwise just drive around - easy to park every couple hundred metres and the zoo is too big to walk all day for the kids.

    There's not tonnes of other stuff to do in Dubbo. We went to the botanical gardens, which was nice, and they had some market's there.  A few in our group went to some caves about an hour away but we didn't bother, can't remember what they were called but I' sure its easy enough to find out.

    On the way up we went via Mudgee and visited a couple of wineries (fun fact - for the next couple of days our kids would march around shouting "No More, It's the Law!")
    Lowe Wines has a nice big open area and was kids friendly.
    We also went to Burnbrae - which had nice wines, but not much for the kids (government warnings about drinking too much apparently the best thing there)


    On the way back we went via Orange and the Orange Botanical Gardens, which was a good stop off too.
    Awesome,  thank you

    Mine are 7 5 & 4 so spot on advice

    Coming down from Brisbane but may head further south after the zoo
    Pain
    Pain

    NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019
    Posts : 4320
    Reputation : 1836
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Pain Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:02 pm

    @No Worries wrote:

    The zoo obviously. Note your ticket gets you in for 2 days. What we do is leave early, make the drive (6hr from Sydney), have some lunch when we get there. Go to the zoo in the arvo, drive arond and cherry pick what we see or what looks like it's close or moving. Then the next day go back in the morning and walk around and spend the day. Different animals are active at different times of the day. Buy tickets online they are cheaper. If you do want to go the wole hog and do a roar and snore tour let me know, I'm a member and can get you a discount.

    The Dubbo gaol is also in the heart of town which is fun for the kids and they learn a bit of history.

    If you are using it as a base andstaying more than a couple of days take a day trip to Parkes to see the dish, there's fruit picking in Orange
    Nice one, appreciate the details.  I need to get busy booking some stuff.
    Pain
    Pain

    NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019
    Posts : 4320
    Reputation : 1836
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Pain Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:04 pm

    @code delta wrote:

    Why do i think you'll be coming from Queensland?
    If so come via Coonabarabran and have a look at Warrumbungle National Park. It has a major space observatory that was nearly wiped out by fires in 2013. https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/warrumbungle-national-park

    Speaking of fires, get this app so you can be aware .... https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/fires-near-me-nsw/id370891827
    That looks amazing. Something we would be keen to see. Head down from Brisbane inland then home via the coast. I have a few days so can have a poke around.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

    Posts : 7645
    Reputation : 4210
    Join date : 2015-10-29
    Age : 28

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:21 pm

    Looking at hitting up the Cook Islands in April. Anyone been?
    Milchcow
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Posts : 18208
    Reputation : 10189
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Milchcow Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:46 pm


    We had our honeymoon on the Cook Islands.

    Aitutaki was amazing, although it's really setup as a honeymoon destination.
    We did a lagoon cruise, it was something like 5 of the 6 couples on their honeymoon. The guy who was just there with his girlfriend must have felt a bit of pressure after that.

    Main island of Rarotonga has a bit more to offer, but it's still pretty small, you can cycle round the whole island in z couple of hours. If you like your snorkelling plenty of good spots on offer.

    We managed to catch a league game whilst we were there. Saw the titikaveka bulldogs play a team from Christchurch. Great place to watch league with the mountains in the background.
    Pain
    Pain

    NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019
    Posts : 4320
    Reputation : 1836
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Pain Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:38 pm

    Staying now at the Cattlemen's as recommended by @Milchcow

    Nice spot. The zoo is awesome.

    Just happened that the Koori knockout comp is on, so just spent the afternoon sitting on the hill watching some great rugby league. Kids loved it.

    Hanoi Corner has pretty good viet food if looking for a feed in Dubbo.
    Pain
    Pain

    NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019
    Posts : 4320
    Reputation : 1836
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Pain Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:45 pm

    @code delta wrote:

    Why do i think you'll be coming from Queensland?
    If so come via Coonabarabran and have a look at Warrumbungle National Park. It has a major space observatory that was nearly wiped out by fires in 2013. https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/warrumbungle-national-park

    Speaking of fires, get this app so you can be aware .... https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/fires-near-me-nsw/id370891827

    Cheers for this. Whole family loved it. The observatory had an open day on Saturday so we got a good look around.

    The volcanic formations were cool and nicely educational for the kids. Just did a couple of short walks because of little legs . The new visitor centre within the park is pretty good. Beautiful sandstone structure.

    The visitor centre in Coonabarabran has some cool megafauna bones.
    No Worries
    No Worries
    Moderator

    NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.
    Posts : 9361
    Reputation : 5546
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by No Worries Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:05 am

    @Pain wrote:Staying now at the Cattlemen's as recommended by @Milchcow

    Nice spot. The zoo is awesome.

    Just happened that the Koori knockout comp is on, so just spent the afternoon sitting on the hill watching some great rugby league.  Kids loved it.

    Hanoi Corner has pretty good viet food if looking for a feed in Dubbo.


    Did you see Inglis there ?

    Beer Beer
    filthridden
    filthridden
    Moderator

    Posts : 13973
    Reputation : 7465
    Join date : 2015-09-27

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by filthridden Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:20 am

    Living in Melbourne, I love going down the peninsula.

    Learnings from this trip:

    The Boneo Maze and Minigolf - the minigolf is great. Good, solid course. The rest of the place is trash. Might be the fact that summer hasn't really started yet but it doesn't seem well maintained. The maze - maybe two points where you can choose a different path. One entrance/exit. Walked the whole thing in 4-5mins and couldn't figure out what part of it was supposed to be the end/point you win.
    They do sell Kapai pies though and the Thai vege pie was the best vege pie I've ever had... would make my top 5 ever too.

    Fish n' chips - Hectors seafoods is the winner near Rye. One of the best fish n' chip shop burgers I've ever had. Generous portion of snapper for $6. Wasn't too packed and opener later than the other options plus it's right next to woolies and the bottle-o.

    St Andrews Beach Brewery - big place. You do need to book. Take a jacket on a cold day as the outdoor heaters don't really cut it. The food was good without being amazing. The beer was great, I particularly enjoyed their amber ale.

    Arthurs Seat - view is better from the stops on the road on the way up than it is from the top. Gondola seems overpriced, wouldn't go near it. Arthurs restaurant (or whatever its called) is great for a beer/cider but don't expect a good beer. I think they had the four C's of Aussie beer on tap and that was it (Cascade, Cartlton, Crown and... Corona Razz ) although the coldstream cider goes alright. Recommend getting one of those and the cheese/fruit platter to share and just enjoy the space and the view.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Posts : 18208
    Reputation : 10189
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Milchcow Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:25 am


    We are heading to Canberra next week.

    Questacon already on the agenda, and probably the Arboretum. Any other kid friendly things we should be doing?
    Probably a bit young for the War Memorial
    No Worries
    No Worries
    Moderator

    NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.
    Posts : 9361
    Reputation : 5546
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by No Worries Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:47 pm

    Fucking love Canberra - Questacon is awesome !!! While the War memorial may be a bit old, they do a last post every day with the story of a different digger. You can even get your relative on the list. I use to swing by after work for the 15min just to catch it. Parliament house, the mint, museum, art gallery,everything is 5 mins drive
    Pain
    Pain

    NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019
    Posts : 4320
    Reputation : 1836
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by Pain Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:18 pm

    @No Worries wrote:


    Did you see Inglis there ?

    Beer Beer

    Lol no. My days of late nights in random country towns are over.

    Looks a lot of fun around here though
    filthridden
    filthridden
    Moderator

    Posts : 13973
    Reputation : 7465
    Join date : 2015-09-27

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by filthridden Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:44 pm

    @zorasdomain wrote:Hey @filthridden do you have any Ho Chi Minh tips while you're at it?

    Sorry zoras, only saw this now!

    Never made it to HCMC. Was only in Da Nang and Hoi An.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

    Posts : 7645
    Reputation : 4210
    Join date : 2015-10-29
    Age : 28

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by multiple.scoregasms Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:15 pm

    .Let's fire this bad boy up again

    Off to West Coast USA in 3 weeks.

    Recommendations/Must see/waste of time tips?

    Potentially going to end up in Mexico/Caribbean depending on time. Mexico would be sticking to the Northern end(Tijuana etc.) but Caribbean open to anything

    ryno_
    ryno_

    NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018
    Posts : 2255
    Reputation : 489
    Join date : 2015-09-27
    Age : 32

    The Travel Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

    Post by ryno_ Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:36 am

    @multiple.scoregasms wrote:.Let's fire this bad boy up again

    Off to West Coast USA in 3 weeks.

    Recommendations/Must see/waste of time tips?

    Potentially going to end up in Mexico/Caribbean depending on time. Mexico would be sticking to the Northern end(Tijuana etc.) but Caribbean open to anything


    Dont spend too much time in LA. Its a shithole. Same for Hollywood, outside of the boulevard, its a deadset slum. If you do spend time in the area, Santa Monica and Beverly Hills are much nicer. The nightlife in Hollywood is pretty good tho.
    San Diego is a cool place but it feels like Brisbane tbh - big country town with not much to do. Best selling point is its close to a good zoo and the beaches. For some reason they have really good sushi though. Weird.
    San Fran and Portland are great. Seattle is cool. Theyd be the highlights of the West Coast. Depending on how far inland you're prepared to go, Yosemite is good for a national park (if you're having that kind of holiday) and Vegas is obv amazing (if you're having that kind of holiday).
    If you go to Tijuana on foot, be prepared to wait in lines at the border. Took us about 3 hours just to get someone to look at us and then another hour to figure out if we were carry drugs in us. Suckers didnt check my bloodstream Laughing. If you're looking at nice countries vaugley in the area, Cuba and Panama are underrated. Never been in the actual Caribbean myself so cant give anything there, but central and the northern part of South America I would recommend to anyone. Its not as dangerous as your mum will stress about if you don't act like a dumb fuck.

      Current date/time is Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:11 am