NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4

Fortitude
    Fortitude

2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4 - Page 45 Empty Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4

Post by Fortitude Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Howie88 wrote:If you weren't running with Smith, would you go with McCullough or McInnes?

Or go Cook, Lichaa combo and use the cash to have a gun in a different position?

IM running a Friend, Cook combo.

2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4 - Page 45 Empty Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4

Post by Guest Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Showbag wrote:

Smith will be playing as he always has, maybe he might have a spell if they are destroying a team but there is no way he will only play 60 mins, every coach that works with him has always stated that they would dare not take smith off or give him a rest game. They have a halves combo that will rely heavily on him. I believe regret will folllow soon after leaving him out of your team this year ...IMO

Exactly this! With Croft being so young abd new he will be relying on Smith to be out there more than Cronk ever did. Smith will be there to take the pressure off
    TheWeapon
    TheWeapon

Post by TheWeapon Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Mighty Fishes wrote:

Exactly this! With Croft being so young abd new he will be relying on Smith to be out there more than Cronk ever did. Smith will be there to take the pressure off

That's my thinking. The funny thing is, I've started the past few years without Smith, and this is the first time I've locked him straight in (when everyone else is moving away). New halves, possibly more kms to take pressure off them etc.
    Warriors
    Warriors

Post by Warriors Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:32 pm

Showbag wrote:

Smith will be playing as he always has, maybe he might have a spell if they are destroying a team but there is no way he will only play 60 mins, every coach that works with him has always stated that they would dare not take smith off or give him a rest game. They have a halves combo that will rely heavily on him. I believe regret will folllow soon after leaving him out of your team this year ...IMO

The only real regret will be if you can't find a captain replacement to at least hit an average of 55+ every week, because I feel you can find better value for money than Smith in all of your 21 man squad. The trick is to make sure everyone you choose is going to score at least 5 or so points more than what they are priced at to make up for it.
    L-Jimmy
    L-Jimmy

Post by L-Jimmy Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Any thoughts on GI vs Moylan?

GI
    Pros: Proven gun coming back (probably into his favourite position.
    Cons: His knees have less cartilage than a vanilla milkshake, And will he be willing to risk his body in tough tackle-breaking runs?

Moylan
    Pros: Heaps of talent, and lots to prove after dummy-spitting his way into the halves
    Cons: Loves a dummy-spit, and no evidence he's actually a good half. Will he get confused by this 'roving commission' crap?
    Warriors
    Warriors

Post by Warriors Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:40 pm

From everything I am ready I am happy to pass on JT and GI to start the season. On the watch list they go but put a line through them to start for me.
    Warriors
    Warriors

Post by Warriors Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:43 pm

L-Jimmy wrote:Any thoughts on GI vs Moylan?

GI
    Pros: Proven gun coming back (probably into his favourite position.
    Cons: His knees have less cartilage than a vanilla milkshake, And will he be willing to risk his body in tough tackle-breaking runs?

Moylan
    Pros: Heaps of talent, and lots to prove after dummy-spitting his way into the halves
    Cons: Loves a dummy-spit, and no evidence he's actually a good half. Will he get confused by this 'roving commission' crap?

Thoughts on Dufty instead, monster pack and Ben Hunt taking the line on, put 6Kgs on his small frame, full pre season training at fullback, think he will be Dylan Edwards like for the same price bracket as the guys above.
    Aardvark Ratnick
    Aardvark Ratnick

Post by Aardvark Ratnick Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Still a few vacant spots to fill http://fantasy.nrl.com/fantasy/league/join/?code=HHFCSN2E,

My heart couldnt stand the strain to run without Smith , the health issues alone would be far to great a strain.
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:59 pm

The thing with Smith is that he scores in so many categories of the game i.e. tackles, kick metres, goal kicking, try assists & to a lesser extent run metres, tackle breaks & line break assists & with a very low error/minus points rate. Good luck trying a find a potential alternate captain that replicates that.
    Fortitude
    Fortitude

Post by Fortitude Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:07 pm

White Lightning wrote:The thing with Smith is that he scores in so many categories of the game i.e. tackles, kick metres, goal kicking, try assists & to a lesser extent run metres, tackle breaks & line break assists & with a very low error/minus points rate. Good luck trying a find a potential alternate captain that replicates that.

Damit, I had convinced myself I was doing the right thing, after reading this and agreeing to everything you've said, Im now second guessing myself. Again.

Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Moylan as five-eighth does not excite me.

2017 Fullback (10 games) vs 5/8th (8games)
    Avg fantasy score: 37 vs 31
    Avg Tackles: 7.8 vs 15.4
    Avg Missed tackles: 1.7 vs 4
    Avg Run metres: 140 vs 82
    Avg Kick Metres: 23 vs 56
    Avg Tackle busts: 3.1 vs 2

Scoring goes down in so many categories when he has to defend in the front line and can't make his kick returns.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Will there be like a TLT tomorrow with trial team lists? To much to ask I imagine, will probably be drip fed.
    Buramada
    Buramada

Post by Buramada Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:46 pm

Milchcow wrote:

In 2017 he averaged 45 at lock.
    In 2016 he averaged 35 at lock , which is what he is priced at.

Played similar minutes both years. 

Will he sustain 2017 form or will he revert back to his normal average?

Actually in 2017, when he averaged 45 he averaged 48 minutes and played consistently at lock all at the end of the season

In 2016, when he averaged 35, he averaged 45 minutes, he shifted position during games and did not play there consistently.

There is enough to suggest that 45 is the norm rather than 35 and as you suggested, because of a spell of lower minutes on the interchnage bench he is priced at only 35. Plus with Guerra leaving he could be in line for an increase in minutes again. Are you suggesting the two years are comparable?

Post by Guest Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Just heard on Radio Sport (NZ) that GI has returned to training this week and is racing the clock to be fit for Round 1 clash vs Warriors.

Even if named for the start of the season he is still a huge injury risk.

Probably would avoid for now.
    Fortitude
    Fortitude

Post by Fortitude Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Have made room for Smith by running my new back line.

Croker, Milne
    Dufty, Dugan, Ponga

If I do quick maffs. Not taking into account captain points.

Friend to Smith Costs 182K for an extra 15points a week.

Teddy and Inglis to Dugan and Dufty will likely cost me 15points a week but banks the cash to fund the above trade.

Probably comes down to point security for a captain option.

NewyCoop

Post by NewyCoop Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:04 pm

Decided to give GI the flick after hearing he might not be ready for round 1, allows me to bring in Harris. Got a lot more depth now. Might swap Opacic to Katoa and move Hiku to CTR once he is added in.

Cook
    Fifita (C), Bromwich
    Brown (VC), Harris, Murray
    Croft, Cartwright
    Milne, Opacic
    Tedesco, Ponga, Hiku

Lichaa, Arrow, Watson, Lodge
    Evans, Havilii, Leilua, Croker

Post by Guest Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:17 pm

people seem to forget that even when Smith gets hooked early in a big win, the extra attacking stats and goal-kicking usually see him hit his lofty average anyway, Smith is far and away the safest bet in fantasy.
    Buramada
    Buramada

Post by Buramada Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:25 pm

Those considering Matthew Dufty, I am wondering what you are expecting him to average.

He is priced around 36, and his average appears inflated (39) because of one high score. Outside of that his scores were consistently in the low 30s.

It seems there are heaps better options in the WFB position?
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Buramada wrote:Those considering Matthew Dufty, I am wondering what you are expecting him to average.

He is priced around 36, and his average appears inflated (39) because of one high score. Outside of that his scores were consistently in the low 30s.

It seems there are heaps better options in the WFB position?

Yeah, I got him in after his big debut game at the end of last year and he was quite difficult to watch every week and had pretty average scores. Maybe they will plan to use him in attack more but I think the halves combo will be looking to do a lot of the damage themselves.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:13 pm

NewyCoop wrote:Decided to give GI the flick after hearing he might not be ready for round 1, allows me to bring in Harris. Got a lot more depth now. Might swap Opacic to Katoa and move Hiku to CTR once he is added in.

Cook
    Fifita (C), Bromwich
    Brown (VC), Harris, Murray
    Croft, Cartwright
    Milne, Opacic
    Tedesco, Ponga, Hiku

Lichaa, Arrow, Watson, Lodge
    Evans, Havilii, Leilua, Croker

You don't appear to have a single centre or WFB in reserve!

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:24 pm