NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Dally M Awards

Ice

Dally M Awards Empty Dally M Awards

Post by Ice Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:38 am

Wow, Bellamy took the Qld and Australian spine to the Minor Premiership, that was massively out of the Blue, I simply can't believe he was able to do that with a team with so many rep players. Amazing!!!

Brad Arthur's meanwhile got a team with zero rep players who most tipped to miss the 8, to the top 4 without his first choice hooker and his FB and best performed player missing for long parts plus a discarded half filling the key role for only half a season. What a garbage effort!!

Who makes these decision?

Seriosly, if Bellamy can be awarded COTY for taking this team the the Minor Premiership, just give the award to the coach of the Minor Premiers every year.

Honestly, the ONLY team whose finishing position in the top 8 was totally unexpected was the Eels, and maybe the Cowboys, but Green couldn't get it for finishing lower than expected. And that is taking nothing away from his effort to get them to the GF, in fact that shows how underperformed they were during the season. Perhaps some might make a case for Manly finishing 6th, but Barrett effort to get them there is nothing compared to Arthur's effort to get Eels to top 4.

Dally M Awards Empty Re: Dally M Awards

Post by Guest Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:44 am

Yeah I would have gone for Manly over the eels. Eels would of made it last year if it wasn't for the point deductions so I really don't think too many people are shocked.

I think Coach of the year is right 4 loses in the whole year is pretty impressive. 2 of those loses in the origin period.

The only thing I think is a joke is Woods as the prop of the year

Post by Guest Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:46 am

Also what do you class as rep stars? Only origin players or something?
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:43 am

Twas a fairly uncontentious decision for anyone who isn't a biased Eels fan.

And if we were going to go down the most improved path, as we normally do, it wouldn't be the Eels - who have been a good team for a while now under Arthur.

In fact I'd be more inclined to give the award to Nathan Brown (the coach) than Brad Arthur.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:03 am

It was a joke, but not for the reasons Ice suggests.

Centre of the year - Walker.
    Prop of the year - Woods.
    Lock of the year - Gallen.
    2RF of the year - Gillett.
    Interchange of the year - Reagan C-G.

Bullshit.

Lolo has had the best season for a lock in history. This should have been the easiest award on the night.
    Roberts was far and away the best centre in the game.
    Vaughn the same for prop. Woods is an absolute joke.
    Gillett hasnt been bad but Wade Graham had a much better season. Much better.
    Reagan C-G played 19/26 games in the starting side - best interchange? Please. Great player, great season but surely this should go to a player who predominantly actually plays off the bench?
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:45 pm

ryno_ wrote:It was a joke, but not for the reasons Ice suggests.

Bullshit.

Lolo has had the best season for a lock in history. This should have been the easiest award on the night.
    Reagan C-G played 19/26 games in the starting side - best interchange? Please. Great player, great season but surely this should go to a player who predominantly actually plays off the bench?

Agreed for the most part. I don't know if Roberts has been the best centre all year, but I don't think there's been any standout either, and I don't think it's been Walker. Lafai has been good, Gagai has been great (though not always at centre), Crocker's been good.

Can't believe they overlooked Lolo, and since Gallen wasn't top 3 and therefore wasn't an automatic selection, that's bewildering. On the way on stage they were basically saying Gallen was second in a number of stats. Lolo was first by some margin. I would also argue that McGuire was better than Gallen this year.

I've got no problem with Gillett being 2RF. I'm a bit of a biased fanboy though and think Graham is over-rated here personally.

You're right about Vaughn. Woods was undoubtedly better than he has been in previous years (particularly post origin), but Vaughn was great.
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:53 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:Twas a fairly uncontentious decision for anyone who isn't a biased Eels fan.

And if we were going to go down the most improved path, as we normally do, it wouldn't be the Eels - who have been a good team for a while now under Arthur.

In fact I'd be more inclined to give the award to Nathan Brown (the coach) than Brad Arthur.

Nathan Brown, the Wooden Spoon Winner? Or the Eels Lock? The Eels lock has seemingly developed into an onfield leader but couldn't give him coach of year for that.

Also, Nathan Brown the Eels lock didn't deserve tackle of the year. Maybe hit of the year, but a tackle is when you stop the guy with the ball, and Brown didn't do that with Napa, negating class of bias against me with that view there. Honestly, yes, I'm an Eels fan but I can have an unbiased view about them and what Arthur has done over the last year and this is. O thing short of incredible. Bellamy next best no question, but more people would have tipped Storm for Minor Premiers than Eels for Top 8 let alone Top 4.
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Bullshit.

Agree These are all wrong. Gallen over JT is a massive joke. They changed the process this year I believe as the game owns the rights not News Ltd. anyone know how they decide.

Last edited by Ice on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:03 pm

Mighty Fishes wrote:Also what do you class as rep stars? Only origin players or something?

Origin and Aus/NZ/Eng reps
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:17 pm

Bullshit.

Yeah its crazy.... I agree with all except that statement about roberts. He hasnt been far and away the best centre in the comp. He has been very good though. Walker had an outstanding season but I couldnt say that he was better than roberts and there are no other standout centres besides Chambers.

Rapana.... ok... what about Semi, Vunivalu....OK tho.. I know who I would be picking in my side first out of those three based off this year and its not Rapana.

The interchange player of the year to RCG is crazy. They need to change it to utility of the year and even then he still shouldnt have got it. Gutherson was the best utility in the league this year, easily, but stand out bench player.. wtf. Why is this even an award?

Second rower, yeah there isnt really a massive stand out here too. Gillett's defence has been superb all year but I think his attack has become somewhat non existent. I dont think there was anyone screaming for the position over him tho to be honest. Angus Crighton wasnt far off IMO. Had a wonderful year in a shit side. edit: kafusi had a fucking unreal year. He could easily have won it over Gillett

Woods is a good club prop but fark me is isnt the best prop in the game.

The fact Lolo didnt get lock of the year is fucking bizare and just wrong. He could have won dally m again and no one would have blinked, but doesnt win lock over gallen?? Absolute horse shit.

I have no problem with Bellamy winning coach of the year. He is the best coach. The side he has put together has been extraordinary, love watching them play. They are a totally different team to last year too. Yes he has the best players but the way their game totally changed and they have been more successful than ever is amazing.

Other candidates are Arthur and GREEN. I dont know how they went past him. No Thurston, no Scott - that side of spare parts makes the GF. Crazy. You take Bromwich and Cronk out of that storm side and they are prob still favs to win the comp.

Last edited by Pieman on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:19 pm

Dip wrote:

Agreed for the most part. I don't know if Roberts has been the best centre all year, but I don't think there's been any standout either, and I don't think it's been Walker. Lafai has been good, Gagai has been great (though not always at centre), Crocker's been good.

Can't believe they overlooked Lolo, and since Gallen wasn't top 3 and therefore wasn't an automatic selection, that's bewildering. On the way on stage they were basically saying Gallen was second in a number of stats. Lolo was first by some margin. I would also argue that McGuire was better than Gallen this year.

I've got no problem with Gillett being 2RF. I'm a bit of a biased fanboy though and think Graham is over-rated here personally.

You're right about Vaughn. Woods was undoubtedly better than he has been in previous years (particularly post origin), but Vaughn was great.

There's no way McGuire was better than Gallen, but JT was well ahead of them both.

What does McGuire do better? Misses more tackles,runs for less metres per run (and that is saying something given Gallen has never been a big metres per run guy), has way less offloads, tackle breaks and line break assists. I just can't see it, but it is true that stats aren't everything. I'd argue Brown was the third best lock this year and better than McGuire. He comfortably got the chocolates over him twic head to head this year and was the most improved player in the game, with Morgan and Vaughan.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:26 pm

Yeah agreed.

In reality old squinty is a poor man's gallen and Brown was just as good as him this year in a side that is full of players who have far less accolades.

Lolo had one of the best seasons for a forward in the history of the sport. Absolute fuckery going on
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Pieman wrote:

Yeah its crazy.... I agree with all except that statement about roberts. He hasnt been far and away the best centre in the comp. He has been very good though. Walker had an outstanding season but I couldnt say that he was better than roberts and there are no other standout centres besides Chambers.

Rapana.... ok... what about Semi, Vunivalu....OK tho.. I know who I would be picking in my side first out of those three based off this year and its not Rapana.

The interchange player of the year to RCG is crazy. They need to change it to utility of the year and even then he still shouldnt have got it. Gutherson was the best utility in the league this year, easily, but stand out bench player.. wtf. Why is this even an award?

Second rower, yeah there isnt really a massive stand out here too. Gillett's defence has been superb all year but I think his attack has become somewhat non existent. I dont think there was anyone screaming for the position over him tho to be honest. Angus Crighton wasnt far off IMO. Had a wonderful year in a shit side.

Woods is a good club prop but fark me is isnt the best prop in the game.

The fact Lolo didnt get lock of the year is fucking bizare and just wrong. He could have won dally m again and no one would have blinked, but doesnt win lock over gallen?? Absolute horse shit.

I have no problem with Bellamy winning coach of the year. He is the best coach. The side he has put together has been extraordinary, love watching them play. They are a totally different team to last year too. Yes he has the best players but the way their game totally changed and they have been more successful than ever is amazing.

Other candidates are Arthur and GREEN. I dont know how they went past him. No Thurston, no Scott - that side of spare parts makes the GF. Crazy. You take Bromwich and Cronk out of that storm side and they are prob still favs to win the comp.

Agree with most of that. Pretty sure the awards are decided after regular season, so Greens effort would have been based on taking the side to 8th, which with a team barely different to the GF winning side a few years ago is an Under achievement (even with Thurston and Scott out) Scott is a great prop of the game,no doubt, even thou his best is past him, but losing any prop at the start of the year is not the end of the world, losing them late in the year is more problematic. Thurston is a much bigger out, but clearly it has allowed others to develop and shine and the side will be far better for it next year, as will JT, they should be favourites at seasons start)

Greens performance post season to get them to the GF however has been sensational and worthy of recognition.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Ice wrote:

There's no way McGuire was better than Gallen, but JT was well ahead of them both.

What does McGuire do better? Misses more tackles,runs for less metres per run (and that is saying something given Gallen has never been a big metres per run guy), has way less offloads, tackle breaks and line break assists. I just can't see it, but it is true that stats aren't everything. I'd argue Brown was the third best lock this year and better than McGuire. He comfortably got the chocolates over him twic head to head this year and was the most improved player in the game, with Morgan and Vaughan.

I'd agree with Nathan Brown ahead of Moose and I'd have him over PG13 aswell - with daylight between him and Lolo though. His snub is ridiculous.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:06 pm

how team of the year works as told by the Daily Telegraph:

Consistent with the Dally M Medal, Team of the Year voting occurs after each regular season premiership match.
    Players who receive Dally M Medal points will automatically receive respective 3, 2, 1 Team of the Year points in their position.
    Players selected for the remaining positions will receive 1 Team of the Year point in their position.
    All votes are submitted by judges at the conclusion of each Premiership match.
    Prior to the submission of votes, judges are provided with the match summary and key individual statistics to help inform their vote.
    Accounting firm Ernst & Young collects and manages votes, reporting the results to the NRL at the conclusion of the 26 Premiership rounds.
    Players who are suspended throughout the season are deducted three Dally M points for each week of suspension.
    Any player who is suspended for two separate offences in any one season becomes ineligible for the Dally M Medal and Team of the Year.
    However, leading players in the Top 10 of the Dally M Medal Count automatically receive their respective position in the Team of the Year.
    code delta
    code delta

Post by code delta Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Stats don't tell the whole story but they are a good indicator.
    Stats here indicate the biggest rep-off was Slater over TTurbo.......
    http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/what-the-dally-m-team-of-the-year-looks-like-based-on-stats-cameron-smith-nrl/liovh1bx3p8o1lt4no6u65ehr
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:13 pm

surmo13 wrote:how team of the year works as told by the Daily Telegraph:

That last line is crazy....
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:14 pm

code delta wrote:Stats don't tell the whole story but they are a good indicator.
    Stats here indicate the biggest rep-off was Slater over TTurbo.......
    http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/what-the-dally-m-team-of-the-year-looks-like-based-on-stats-cameron-smith-nrl/liovh1bx3p8o1lt4no6u65ehr

Haha yeah, thats a perfect example of why you dont go solely off stats.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:34 pm

I did think it was hilarious when twitter collectively raged at the try of year award, which was entirely fan-voted
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:09 pm

surmo13 wrote:
    Prior to the submission of votes, judges are provided with the match summary and key individual statistics to help inform their vote.

I read that as saying "The judges don't have to actually watch them play, we give them their SuperCoach scores and ask them to vote based on that."

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 am