NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 3 - Half the height we want

Milchcow
    Milchcow

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 3 - Half the height we want Empty NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 3 - Half the height we want

Post by Milchcow Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 9:27

NRL FF Registration
    https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t2344-2024-nrl-ff-league-registration

VSDT FF Registration
    https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t2344-2024-nrl-ff-league-registration

NRL FF DRAFT Leagues
    https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t2340-2024-nrl-fantasy-fanatics-draft-leagues

Stats, Breakevens and more
    https://footystatistics.com/

2024 team planner
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/67y1rkx92jtu5fm/2024+Team+Planner+v0.1.xlsm/file

2023 NSW Cup Stats
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/7fn1wogu76g7uvu/2023+NSWRL+stats.xlsm/file

2024 bye schedule
    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 3 - Half the height we want Byes_210

2024 Origin bye planner
    NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 3 - Half the height we want A10

2024 Origin bye planner supplement:

Dual Position Player (DPP) Updates:

More links to come

Last edited by Milchcow on Mon 19 Feb 2024 - 10:42; edited 1 time in total
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 3 - Half the height we want Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 3 - Half the height we want

Post by robelgordo Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 9:30

Johnathan FIRSTon
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 3 - Half the height we want Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 3 - Half the height we want

Post by Milchcow Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 10:38

Towards the end of the last thread, people were talking about game theory

Technically, game theory is making your decisions based on your predictions of what your competitors will do. Picking someone because you think they are 10 points underpriced isn't game theory, its exactly what everyone else is trying to do.

If they don't pick your player its because they don't share your projections on that player's scoring potential, or they think he comes with some other risk (eg getting injured/dropped/shifted to another position)

Game Theory would be picking PODs because of their low ownership, or avoiding highly owned players and hoping they fail so you can get a leg up on your competitors for a week or 2.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 10:46

On Haas/No Haas

Almost certainly there will be a possible team composition that will score big points without needing Haas. With almost equal certainty, nobody on here will start with that team.

In some ways its sort of irrelevant. Its said every year, but you aren't going to win or lose the comp in round 1. Any starting team by anyone on this site could win the comp if they make the right trades.*
    Who you bring in and out of your team is far more important than who you actually start with. Of course starting with the right players will help a lot, much easier in round 2 if you have 2 fires to fight rather than 5.

With that in mind, my main aim in team composition is to maintain flexibility. If any of my starting team get injured, or need immediate dropping, i want to be able to correct that as seamlessly as possible. ie, not rely on needing to replace my $250k starting CTR with a budget of $260k when it turns out he's crap.

mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 10:56

Milchcow wrote:
    On Haas/No Haas

Almost certainly there will be a possible team composition that will score big points without needing Haas. With almost equal certainty, nobody on here will start with that team.

In some ways its sort of irrelevant. Its said every year, but you aren't going to win or lose the comp in round 1. Any starting team by anyone on this site could win the comp if they make the right trades.*
    Who you bring in and out of your team is far more important than who you actually start with. Of course starting with the right players will help a lot, much easier in round 2 if you have 2 fires to fight rather than 5.

With that in mind, my main aim in team composition is to maintain flexibility. If any of my starting team get injured, or need immediate dropping, i want to be able to correct that as seamlessly as possible. ie, not rely on needing to replace my $250k starting CTR with a budget of $260k when it turns out he's crap.

Team flexibility is likely to be more important this season, especially with the split 1st round team lists.

Not knowing the teams that will be named the following TLT can really screw up your team if players you were planning on getting aren't named to start, especially if they are filling cheap holes in your team, which can't be easily filled otherwise.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:00

Optimality = Achieving the best possible outcome for the lowest possible cost, regardless of the actions of competitors

Game theory = The best possible strategy may depend on what your opponents are doing, and that should form part of your decision making

Under those terms, in a game with thousands of competitors, game theory only really comes into it towards the end of the season and if you're near the top of the ladder. To get to that position, you need to nail the optimality first.

Unlike Milch, I'd say picking a very highly owned, likely high-scoring player with minimal "value" (eg Haas) *is* game theory, as you could be doing it as insurance against losses to the "crowd" rather than to achieve optimal value. And it's the one but of game theory I'll probably adopt in my starting team.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:13

mattnz wrote:

Team flexibility is likely to be more important this season, especially with the split 1st round team lists.

Not knowing the teams that will be named the following TLT can really screw up your team if players you were planning on getting aren't named to start, especially if they are filling cheap holes in your team, which can't be easily filled otherwise.

i think 99/100, if not more, people here are not that bad at this game to screw up their team because they picked haas as one of their top two positions.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:17

This is all great but I’m disappointed nobody tried a player name/pun for second post

I couldn’t think of one but had Greg THIRD lined up for after
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:17

rhinoceroo wrote:

Unlike Milch, I'd say picking a very highly owned, likely high-scoring player with minimal "value" (eg Haas) *is* game theory, as you could be doing it as insurance against losses to the "crowd" rather than to achieve optimal value. And it's the one but of game theory I'll probably adopt in my starting team.

If you are picking him based on ownership, then yes. But in the last thread that topic of ownership wasn't brought up at all. It was purely a points vs value discussion.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:20

robelgordo wrote:This is all great but I’m disappointed nobody tried a player name/pun for second post

I couldn’t think of one but had Greg THIRD lined up for after

If you like, I could base something on W Seccombe

Played 4 games for Glebe in 1927. A player of such importance that my Encyclopedia of Rugby League Players doesn't even tell you what the 'W' stood for
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:20

Wait, Mark TWOkey

I was so focussed on second, just need the 2

Brett FOURman

David FIVEita

Toby SIXton, and so on…
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:21

Milchcow wrote:

If you like, I could base something on W Seccombe

Played 4 games for Glebe in 1927. A player of such importance that my Encyclopedia of Rugby League Players doesn't even tell you what the 'W' stood for

I think he kept wicket for Queensland 70 years later. Looked good for his age
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:24

Pick Haas for some. Don’t pick Haas for others. Miniature NRL foam footballs for all. And always twirling, twirling, twirling for tackle busts
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:26

my tv broke wrote:

i think 99/100, if not more, people here are not that bad at this game to screw up their team because they picked haas as one of their top two positions.

Picking Haas as a single decision isn't going to screw you up.

Relying on having multiple <$250k players, especially in certain positions in TLT 1B can screw you up if they don't eventuate.

You probably can't select too many cows in TLT 1A, but you could definitely select too many guns in it, relying on a guns and cows strategy.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:31

Saw some talk recently about Trent Loiero moving to lock, presumably freeing up Blore (or another cheapie) for an edge

Denan Kemp's Bloke in a bar podcast talks about it in their season preview if you want a source that isn't just some dude on Facebook.
    Their season preview is 7 hours long, but you can just skip straight to the Storm preview if you don't have time for the whole thing.

Last edited by Milchcow on Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 12:00; edited 1 time in total
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:36

mattnz wrote:

Picking Haas as a single decision isn't going to screw you up.

Relying on having multiple <$250k players, especially in certain positions in TLT 1B can screw you up if they don't eventuate.

You probably can't select too many cows in TLT 1A, but you could definitely select too many guns in it, relying on a guns and cows strategy.

The good thing about guns is you pretty much know what they're going to score. The bad thing about cows is you don't.

You can definitely pick too many cows if they're not actually cows.

As for how many TLT1 guns... 700k+ players are Haas, Carrigan, Latrell, Murray, Cook, DCE, as well as Ted and Turbo who could count as gun WFBs. Doubt many/any will have more than one of those, two at the outside. "Picking too many" not likely to be a problem that restricts TLT2 selections. Baker, Arthurs and Burbo (for example) all misfiring would be more of a problem if you've gone for them.
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:37

All this optimal talk maybe I’ll just make my team off Yafss recommendation of an optimal team

After you fix the players not starting and some occasional outrageous predictions it actually ends up being pretty similar to my team study

Last edited by Camo123 on Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:40; edited 1 time in total
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:39

robelgordo wrote:

I think he kept wicket for Queensland 70 years later. Looked good for his age

Hes now coaching the Brisbane Heat at the ripe old age of 98
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:41

Camo123 wrote:All this optimal talk maybe I’ll just make my team off Yafss recommendation of an optimal team

After you fix the players not starting and some occasional outrageous predictions it actually ends up being pretty similar to my team Shocked

I've also found it gets close to my team when I bump my players' predicted scores up a few digits 😉
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 11:41

Milchcow wrote:
    Saw some talk recently about Trent Loiero moving to the edge, presumably freeing up Blore (or another cheapie) for an edge

Denan Kemp's Bloke in a bar podcast talks about it in their season preview if you want a source that isn't just some dude on Facebook.
    Their season preview is 7 hours long, but you can just skip straight to the Storm preview if you don't have time for the whole thing.

I saw somewhere talk of Josh King moving to prop and Loiero starting Lock.

Or maybe that's what you meant? rather than Loiero moving to edge to free up Blore for edge?
    I'm sure second week trials will reveal some intention there either way

Current date/time is Mon 29 Apr 2024 - 7:54