NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 46 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Post by White Lightning Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:09 pm

i used to have a recurring dream that i went to town, parked my car & when the night was finished go back & the car was gone. i then spend all night looking for my car & end up at a house where everyone knew me but i don't know them. so i then walk home.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 46 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Post by rhinoceroo Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:14 pm

Snatchpato wrote:Not really on topic, but has anyone had a look at Verrills? Not really anyone on the bench to take significant minutes off him, surely they don't play Campbell at hooker. Maybe Joliffe is there to take 30 minutes, but that leaves them with only 2 bench forwards.

If that's the case, that means Tino and Mo will likely be playing big minutes, could be some value there.

Main question: Verrills y/n?
    Second question: If no, Tino/Mo?

Won't Clark step in for Verrills if he needs a spell? Or they do something nuts like move Brimson and Boyd when Campbell comes on. Actually, now you mention it, Verrills might be an option.

PS. If possible you need to get on to the Draft League One WhatsApp group via @easytiger. Everyone else there so nearly ready to start.
    Snatchpato
    Snatchpato

Post by Snatchpato Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:17 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:

Won't Clark step in for Verrills if he needs a spell? Or they do something nuts like move Brimson and Boyd when Campbell comes on. Actually, now you mention it, Verrills might be an option.

PS. If possible you need to get on to the Draft League One WhatsApp group via @easytiger. Everyone else there so nearly ready to start.
    Yeah mate I pm'd ET my number, same with Welshy. I'll PM you as well so you can add me. I'm ready to go (happy for you guys to start it while I get added to the group anyway).
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:18 pm

Snatchpato wrote:Not really on topic, but has anyone had a look at Verrills? Not really anyone on the bench to take significant minutes off him, surely they don't play Campbell at hooker. Maybe Joliffe is there to take 30 minutes, but that leaves them with only 2 bench forwards.

If that's the case, that means Tino and Mo will likely be playing big minutes, could be some value there.

Main question: Verrills y/n?
    Second question: If no, Tino/Mo?

Both times Campbell was on the bench last year he subbed on for Booth who was hooker

Even with 80 mins Verrills still short of 10 pts value with poor bye schedule
    AL
    AL

Post by AL Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:45 pm

my tv broke wrote:

Putting the C on Blake Leary is a bold choice

It’s only first draft. Also looking at Isaako.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:08 pm

White Lightning wrote:i used to have a recurring dream that i went to town, parked my car & when the night was finished go back & the car was gone. i then spend all night looking for my car & end up at a house where everyone knew me but i don't know them. so i then walk home.

This is interesting, the brain 🧠 loves to faaark with us in our sleep
    Chucky
    Chucky

Post by Chucky Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:21 pm

Can anyone here help out an old dinosaur.
    I hate using the app, and generally use the online version on my iPad and/or iPhone (using safari).
    Every time I try to open the online version, it re directs me to the app.
    I know there is a quick fix but fucked if I can remember it.

Cheers in advance.
    L-Jimmy
    L-Jimmy

Post by L-Jimmy Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:29 pm

Sup Chuckster.

click the “aA” icon in the top corner of the NRL fantasy webpage. It opens the website view menu.
    From the available options, choose the “Request Desktop Website” option.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:30 pm

Chucky wrote:Can anyone here help out an old dinosaur.
    I hate using the app, and generally use the online version on my iPad and/or iPhone (using safari).
    Every time I try to open the online version, it re directs me to the app.
    I know there is a quick fix but fucked if I can remember it.

Cheers in advance.
    Delete the app and then online works fine
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:54 pm

Revraiser wrote:

This is interesting, the brain 🧠  loves to faaark with us in our sleep

i actually google about my dream & the lose my car scenario is apparently quite a common dream
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:57 pm

Hope everyone at the north end of Aotearoa are staying safe <3
    t43597
    t43597

Post by t43597 Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:59 pm

Looks like ive settled on a team with these guns:

Robson, Tapine, Cleary, Hynes, Teddy, Burton

Then Cheese is pretty much alone on the next level and the rest are cows and mid-pricers. Is it even possible for Tapine to go to another level?

At 790k im happy with him as a 3rd captaincy option and a real chance to be my captain when Penrith have the bye.

Snatchpato
    Snatchpato

Post by Snatchpato Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:08 pm

t43597 wrote:Looks like ive settled on a team with these guns:

Then Cheese is pretty much alone on the next level and the rest are cows and mid-pricers. Is it even possible for Tapine to go to another level?

At 790k im happy with him as a 3rd captaincy option and a real chance to be my captain when Penrith have the bye.

Love all the picks, though I'm only mildly concerned people are overhyping Burton. I definitely see his value, however he did have a run of poor scores at the end of last season. Big ceiling, but certainly a lower floor than some other options.
    t43597
    t43597

Post by t43597 Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:13 pm

A more general question - how does one approach creating a team?

Do you do it
    - line by line or
    - guns in first and then cows and then fill the rest or
    - do you pick a shortlist and sort of whittle it down from there?

I ask because i usually do the shortlist method and that becomes selecting my locks regardless of position - both cows and guns - and then i agonise over the mid-pricers and whoever else i can fit in.

However, this pre season ive actually tried different methods and have cleared my team a few times and even changing just 1 or 2 'locks' can have a massive flow on effect that usually isnt the case when i use my 'standard method'. As such, i guess even those that i consider 'locks' are still subject to change.

Im just interested in hearing about different methods and experimenting with them myself.
    Snatchpato
    Snatchpato

Post by Snatchpato Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:17 pm

I personally lock in the Guns and Cows I consider absolutely must-have. I then consider any Guns I'd really love to own, and also Cows who I think are pretty reliable value. I then fill the rest with dubious cows and dubious mid-rangers and wait for TLT to tinker with the rest.

Sounds good on paper, but my past performance probably suggests you should do anything but what I do haha
    t43597
    t43597

Post by t43597 Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:19 pm

Snatchpato wrote:
    Love all the picks, though I'm only mildly concerned people are overhyping Burton. I definitely see his value, however he did have a run of poor scores at the end of last season. Big ceiling, but certainly a lower floor than some other options.

Yeah, Burton is interesting because he definitely had a purple patch that was awesome but then some poor form and indifferent form too. I think with more weapons he should be able to score well this season but its no guarantee and i actually am worried that his base may increase slightly but if he doesnt have a purple patch then he may even be overvalued slightly.

Its a matter of perspective though. If his purple patch becomes close to normality for him well then he still is fantastic value but if you take it away, he potentially becomes overpriced. I guess im just backing what i see and that is a lot of talent in a team that finally found a way to score a bit in the 2nd half of last season and should benefit from some handy additions.

Of all the guns i listed, Burton is the one im least confident in, but ill take the punt i think.
    t43597
    t43597

Post by t43597 Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:23 pm

Snatchpato wrote:I personally lock in the Guns and Cows I consider absolutely must-have. I then consider any Guns I'd really love to own, and also Cows who I think are pretty reliable value. I then fill the rest with dubious cows and dubious mid-rangers and wait for TLT to tinker with the rest.

Sounds good on paper, but my past performance probably suggests you should do anything but what I do haha

That would seem like a popular method. When ive experimented ive done the top down approach position by position and i seem to end up with a team that has plenty of guns but too many on one or two lines and then 2 lines and/or a bench that is very weak/risky.

I think ive concluded that the position by position method doesnt work for me but it is a bit of fun to clear my team and start again with a different approach.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:27 pm

I am taking a more holistic approach, identifying the positions that have the most value at the cheap end, mid range and high end. This then guides the overall selection structure, then just slot the best players for upside within that structure.
    Holzman
    Holzman

Post by Holzman Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:34 pm

t43597 wrote:Looks like ive settled on a team with these guns:

how does the rest of the team look like with that many guns though.

I just brought in Hynes myself by dropping Grant down to Robson.

now have Robson, Carrigan, Cleary, Hynes as my 700k+ guys
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:38 pm

Snatchpato wrote:I personally lock in the Guns and Cows I consider absolutely must-have. I then consider any Guns I'd really love to own, and also Cows who I think are pretty reliable value. I then fill the rest with dubious cows and dubious mid-rangers and wait for TLT to tinker with the rest.

I basically do this. I dont really give it much more thought altho rarely spend on ctrs and wfbs.

Then spend 10 weeks undoing all the mental gymnastics that got me to that round 1 squad.

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:04 pm