NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 24 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:08 am

Was keen of Jake Turbo and Paseka but with the second round bye I feel it’s a free look at them and then you have time to get them in if you want them
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 24 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Post by rhinoceroo Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:09 am

Mulvy wrote:No one for Ponga or Turbo?

Injury risk, for both, I get it.

But Turbo averaged 83 the season before last. 83.

Ponga is cheaper and has a ceiling of banner++ and a nice draw.

Any takers?

Ponga is a total bargain without the injury risk, but there is the injury risk - and with it being headknock related it's somehow more threatening than Turbo's hammys.

I, sorry, my wife, will be running another team starting with Teddy, Turbo and Ponga in the WFB and going cheap in the mids and I, sorry she, expects a stellar season for that squad smashing my actual team.

For reference, a back-heavy team with base-price placeholders would look something like:

Teddy, Turbo, Ponga
    Staggs, Thompson
    Cleary, Burton
    Katoa, Garner
    Nicholls, Hetherington, Cheese
    Hodgson

Boyd, Hopgood, Loiero, (Sloan)
    TMM, Perham, Alamonti, Momoisea

Last edited by rhinoceroo on Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:21 am

Heres my current draft,

still much to ponder during trials, and i'm not really wedded to anyone in it

Robson
    Cotter, TPJ, A Elliot,
    Hopgood, Garner
    Hynes, Cleary
    I Thompson, Alamoti,
    Walsh, Miller, Perham

Smith, Doorey, Gilbert,Sloan,
    Talau, Howarth, Sadrugu, AKP

A lot of them will depend on being selected/roles

ps i am aware i need HLF cover, as I said not finalised yet

Last edited by GarethEllisismyDad on Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:28 am

rhinoceroo wrote:

Ponga is a total bargain without the injury risk, but there is the injury risk - and with it being headknock related it's somehow more threatening than Turbo's hammys.

I, sorry, my wife, will be running another team starting with Teddy, Turbo and Ponga in the WFB and going cheap in the mids and I, sorry she, expects a stellar season for that squad smashing my actual team.

For reference, a back-heavy team with base-price placeholders would look something like:

Teddy, Turbo, Ponga
    Staggs, Thompson
    Cleary, Burton
    Katoa, Garner
    Nicholls, Hetherington, Cheese
    Hodgson

Boyd, Hopgood, Loiero, (Sloan)
    TMM, Perham, Alamonti, Momoisea

Fucking hell, it doesn't even look that bad! Tell me about Nicholls and Hetherington? I thought the latter was injured?
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:29 am

My current setup:

Clark
    Murray, Haas, Cheese
    Loiero, Garner
    Cleary, Burton
    Holmes, Talau
    Meaney, Miller, Perham

Boyd, Hopgood, Matamua, Doorey/Momoisea

Luke, Gennings, Sloan, AKP

4k bank so if some guys don't get named I may need to give up Meaney and get someone cheaper but I rate him a lot.
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:36 am

Bethany_B wrote:My current setup:

Clark
    Murray, Haas, Cheese
    Loiero, Garner
    Cleary, Burton
    Holmes, Talau
    Meaney, Miller, Perham

Boyd, Hopgood, Matamua, Doorey/Momoisea

Luke, Gennings, Sloan, AKP

4k bank so if some guys don't get named I may need to give up Meaney and get someone cheaper but I rate him a lot.

like it alot
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:39 am

Mulvy wrote:

Fucking hell, it doesn't even look that bad! Tell me about Nicholls and Hetherington? I thought the latter was injured?

Nicholls is uninspiring Tolmanesque tackle-his-way-to-ten-points-of-value if he gets 40-45 minutes. Didn't know Hetho was injured... thought he was a possibility for Newcastle's edge? If not I (she) can scour for another mid plodder. When you put your team upside down it doesn't matter so much if your third mid is only scoring 35s, you'd probably be happy with that from your third WFB.
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:44 am

GarethEllisismyDad wrote:

like it alot

Cheers, I figured I'd stack the MIDs and not go too heavy on the PODs - Meaney is my only real one and if he doesn't fire early then I can easily just drop him down to a cheapie going up if needed.

I think a lot of people will get caught out not owning guys like Haas and Murray early, just like how a lot of people didn't own Haas or Ipap at the start of last year and were scrambling to get them in.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:49 am

GarethEllisismyDad wrote:Heres my current draft,

Robson
    Cotter, TPJ, A Elliot,
    Hopgood, Garner
    Hynes, Cleary
    I Thompson, Alamoti,
    Walsh, Miller, Perham

Robson I like. Good byes, no origin. I don't mind Mahoney as an alternative.
    Cotter expensive but I think is worth it. TPJ is value but on my never again list. Either brain explosion, hammy, or even seems refs have him pegged for who to give penalties (tin foil hat, but it's true, also he brings it on mostly himself).......yeah I'll consider him. Elliott will be popular. Hopgood and Garner standard. Cleary standard. Hynes is a POD it seems. As is Walsh. The rest is popular and dependant on good lists. Nice list. Tell us your thoughts on Hynes, Walsh and Gilbert?
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:00 am

Robson
    Cotter, TPJ, A Elliot,
    Hopgood, Garner
    Hynes, Cleary
    I Thompson, Alamoti,
    Walsh, Miller, Perham

Unless you absolutely know they're going to be playing, make your base price guys 250k players (doesn't matter who) because that gives you a clearer idea of what you can definitely afford for the rest of your team come TLT
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:03 am

Mulvy wrote:

Robson I like. Good byes, no origin. I don't mind Mahoney as an alternative.
    Cotter expensive but I think is worth it. TPJ is value but on my never again list. Either brain explosion, hammy, or even seems refs have him pegged for who to give penalties (tin foil hat, but it's true, also he brings it on mostly himself).......yeah I'll consider him. Elliott will be popular. Hopgood and Garner standard. Cleary standard. Hynes is a POD it seems. As is Walsh. The rest is popular and dependant on good lists. Nice list. Tell us your thoughts on Hynes, Walsh and Gilbert?

Hynes is a must have for me, whilst everyone else is wondering if the ball will run the way of hastings douehi, burton for them to get to their potential 60 points, i'll be basking in the glory of Hynes absolutely dominating like he did last year, will keep him all year, and pay a premium for him.

Walsh is a bit of a smokey punt, firstly i enjoy watching him play, and i expect him to go to a higher level, broncos have a very nice bye draw, brisbane play 5 of the first 6 games at suncorp, no bye til 16, dont expect him to play origin, and i rate him very highly from the eye test, I think he's one for the big stage, and i am hoping that he shows us all of his attacking prowess, i wouldn't expect anyone to follow me on this, its mainly speculation from me, and it could blow up in my face, but this is fun as well as for glory

Gilbert, dual is useful due to the various bye schedules etc, have read/heard speculation he is starting lock and playing big minutes, there is no real data to support this, but again I feel hes going to be integral for dolphins, if his role isnt what i expect in trials he may be on chopping block
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:15 am

Hynes is a must have for me, whilst everyone else is wondering if the ball will run the way of hastings douehi, burton for them to get to their potential 60 points, i'll be basking in the glory of Hynes absolutely dominating like he did last year, will keep him all year, and pay a premium for him.

Walsh is a bit of a smokey punt, firstly i enjoy watching him play, and i expect him to go to a higher level, broncos have a very nice bye draw, brisbane play 5 of the first 6 games at suncorp, no bye til 16, dont expect him to play origin, and i rate him very highly from the eye test, I think he's one for the big stage, and i am hoping that he shows us all of his attacking prowess, i wouldn't expect anyone to follow me on this, its mainly speculation from me, and it could blow up in my face, but this is fun as well as for glory

Gilbert, dual is useful due to the various bye schedules etc, have read/heard speculation he is starting lock and playing big minutes, there is no real data to support this, but again I feel hes going to be integral for dolphins, if his role isnt what i expect in trials he may be on chopping block

Nice. I think you're right and Hynes will continue to dominate. For me though, he's expensive and I'll have to look at the alternatives. I like Burton. No longer available at centre, but grew into the role last year, re-gained the goalkicking, and I feel with Kikau and JAC outside him, should give him time and space.

Definitely interested in Gilbert if starting lock.

I like watching Walsh play too and agree there's something there. At the Broncos, a year older. I like it. I probably won't do it though.
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:19 am

Idk about others but I'm not really comparing Hynes to other halves, I'm comparing him to Murray who realistically is the guy I would give up to have Hynes, but there's a couple reasons why I prefer the Muzz

1. No early bye for Murray and he doesn't usually get managed early in the year, it's the Origin period where that happens. With Havili apparently injured that means he's probably even less likely to get rests.

2. Murray covers a tougher position, there's tons of value at HLF while at MID the value picks at similar prices are nowhere near as good - Tanah Boyd is a million times better than any MID at 480k for example, and Burton is a better bet than a guy like Tohu or Butcher etc.

Of course Hynes could come out and smash a couple tons early on and make us non-owners delete team but if he just ticks along getting 50-70 a week with the odd 80 then I'm willing to cop that until I can get him in.
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:21 am

Mulvy wrote:

Nice. I think you're right and Hynes will continue to dominate. For me though, he's expensive and I'll have to look at the alternatives. I like Burton. No longer available at centre, but grew into the role last year, re-gained the goalkicking, and I feel with Kikau and JAC outside him, should give him time and space.

Definitely interested in Gilbert if starting lock.

I like watching Walsh play too and agree there's something there. At the Broncos, a year older. I like it. I probably won't do it though.

I would be considering Walsh if he would be kicking goals but he won't with Reynolds there, so he's a no for me.

Meaney is only 50k more and will kick goals for a much better team, plus was able to average 45 at FB despite having no time to train there before the switch and playing in a team that was decimated by injury.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:25 am

Robson
    Cotter, TPJ, A Elliot,
    Hopgood, Garner
    Hynes, Cleary
    I Thompson, Alamoti,
    Walsh, Miller, Perham

Also think 7 base price players is way too many, will leave you in trade, money and red dot trouble when a few of them inevitably misfire or stall.

Just looked at the current structure of the team I've put together and I probably need to get rid of one gun and one base price or cheapie for two more dirty middles myself:

Current team is:

5x base price ($230-250k)
    3x upside cheapie ($290-320k)
    6x mid-range cow ($380k-480k)
    2x Subgun ($520k-600k)
    5x Gun ($700k+)
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:31 am

Bethany_B wrote:

Idk about others but I'm not really comparing Hynes to other halves, I'm comparing him to Murray who realistically is the guy I would give up to have Hynes, but there's a couple reasons why I prefer the Muzz

1. No early bye for Murray and he doesn't usually get managed early in the year, it's the Origin period where that happens. With Havili apparently injured that means he's probably even less likely to get rests.

2. Murray covers a tougher position, there's tons of value at HLF while at MID the value picks at similar prices are nowhere near as good - Tanah Boyd is a million times better than any MID at 480k for example, and Burton is a better bet than a guy like Tohu or Butcher etc.

Of course Hynes could come out and smash a couple tons early on and make us non-owners delete team but if he just ticks along getting 50-70 a week with the odd 80 then I'm willing to cop that until I can get him in.

actually makes sense to compare hynes with murray in that way, appreciate the insight
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:34 am

rhinoceroo wrote:

Also think 7 base price players is way too many, will leave you in trade, money and red dot trouble when a few of them inevitably misfire or stall.

agree, defiitely not finalised my team or the structure, and I appreciate all the feedback
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:40 am

I'm looking for value outside my captain and VC. Which begs the question...Who's your captain and Vice? For me it's Cleary for sure. And then... not so sure. Probably my best mid (Haas/Cotter) maybe Burton?
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:44 am

Mulvy wrote:I'm looking for value outside my captain and VC. Which begs the question...Who's your captain and Vice? For me it's Cleary for sure. And then... not so sure. Probably my best mid (Haas/Cotter) maybe Burton?

Cleary captain and Murray VC with Haas as another option if needed. I think you need at least two of Cleary, Muz and Hynes if possible, running Cleary only will hurt you in round 3 unless you get lucky with the roulette.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:54 am

Mulvy wrote:I'm looking for value outside my captain and VC. Which begs the question...Who's your captain and Vice? For me it's Cleary for sure. And then... not so sure. Probably my best mid (Haas/Cotter) maybe Burton?

Cleary and Haas here.

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:40 am